HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 09, 2011, 01:21 PM
mSR,120SR,4G6S,UFLYS,1#A, v450d
Geneva, Switzerland
Joined Oct 2010
134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperZ View Post
Great idea, I think I may do the same on the short extension. I would not mind seeing pictures of other's set ups, I love pictures
Here are some pics of the battery lead extension and battery monitor placement with notes. Don't forget to round the edges of the carbon frame anywhere where they could contact a wire!
kutyafal is offline Find More Posts by kutyafal
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2011, 02:26 PM
USA, IL, Elgin
Joined Jan 2006
667 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kutyafal View Post
Here are some pics of the battery lead extension and battery monitor placement with notes. Don't forget to round the edges of the carbon frame anywhere where they could contact a wire!
What size battery is that you're using? Can you hear the buzzer being as loud as they say that heli is?
stretch1100 is offline Find More Posts by stretch1100
Old Feb 09, 2011, 02:54 PM
Geneva, Switzerland
Joined Oct 2010
134 Posts
It's this one: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8934

As far as a bigger battery, there is room for about 2 cm more in length but in width and height I don't see how you can fit anything larger because the nose is pretty narrow. For example this wouldn't fit: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=15018
It's far too wide and probably even too long. Now with a different canopy, maybe, but flight times with the above battery are great. Probably get close to 8 min of sport flying once broken in. I found that I can cruise around very nicely at 60%-70% throttle so for training and sport flying it's excellent. I'd be curious to see if a higher C rated battery would make any difference but with these electronics I doubt it.
Last edited by kutyafal; Feb 09, 2011 at 03:03 PM.
Old Feb 09, 2011, 06:00 PM
USA, IL, Elgin
Joined Jan 2006
667 Posts
Thanks! I'm gonna order some of these. They are 30c as opposed to the 25c it comes with. It's just a bit longer and weighs a bit more than the 25c 2200mah turnigy http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=14962
stretch1100 is offline Find More Posts by stretch1100
Old Feb 09, 2011, 06:54 PM
los angeles,ca
Joined May 2010
2,600 Posts
Wow has the turbo ace 804 back on their website $40
vronny is online now Find More Posts by vronny
Old Feb 09, 2011, 07:14 PM
Geneva, Switzerland
Joined Oct 2010
134 Posts
vronny, could you explain the advantages of this motor? More power? More flight time? What else?
Old Feb 09, 2011, 08:09 PM
los angeles,ca
Joined May 2010
2,600 Posts
Quote:
vronny, could you explain the advantages of this motor? More power? More flight time? What else?
Should be more power. You want more flight time better batteries
vronny is online now Find More Posts by vronny
Old Feb 09, 2011, 08:18 PM
This is my Nemesis....
Canada, SK, Saskatoon
Joined Jan 2011
2,008 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the photos kutyafal! Those are great ideas, I'm going to copy them both. After your write-up I ordered the Turnigy packs and a bunch of XT60 connectors. I also ordered a Battery warning buzzer and will do much like yours.

Are you using Velcro on your battery to airframe?
ViperZ is offline Find More Posts by ViperZ
Old Feb 09, 2011, 08:20 PM
This is my Nemesis....
Canada, SK, Saskatoon
Joined Jan 2011
2,008 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vronny View Post
Wow has the turbo ace 804 back on their website $40
I suspect with the Turbo Ace, a person would need higher capacity packs for than the stock configuration? If so, has anybody calculated the requirements?
ViperZ is offline Find More Posts by ViperZ
Old Feb 10, 2011, 05:31 AM
Geneva, Switzerland
Joined Oct 2010
134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperZ View Post
Are you using Velcro on your battery to airframe?
Nope, just the factory foam pad with the yellow velcro strap you see in the pic. I'm still playing around with battery position and CG. When I start to shake and bake it more I'll probably add velcro between the batt and frame too just to be sure.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 05:34 AM
Geneva, Switzerland
Joined Oct 2010
134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vronny View Post
Should be more power. You want more flight time better batteries
Frankly, for me, I don't feel the need for more power at the moment. It'll do everything I can do for now. I'll see and wait for some reports on the TA motor regarding % of extra power, battery and weight implications, flight times, etc. It's good for me as is for now.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 06:48 AM
United States, FL, Hollywood
Joined Aug 2010
1,565 Posts
I see the importance of going through all prep steps completely. Out of the box my V450 goes crazy being unstable and spins in circles. Toward the last part of the setup I discovered quite a few switches on the 3 axis gyro were not correct. I discovered the problem after the tilt test to see if the 3 axis gyro was counterbalancing my tilting the heli. Tilting forward to backward were wrong as was side to side. Even the rudder switch on the gyro had to be reversed as I saw the gyro was actually giving more left as I turned the heli body left, obviously causing it to spin out of control when I tried to fly it. So yeah; all steps must be gone through to get it right. When I finished with the setup all of the switches were down, as shown, but your V450 switches end up be different, i dunno.

EDIT: Test flew it this morning. Hovered fine except for the rudder. The rudder needed another gyro limit travel adjustment since it would turn left but not right. Fully encouraged, I made the adjustment and tried a second flight but spinning it up I saw the rudder was not spinning at all; turns out the rear rotor belt broke. Just when I thought I was making progress. Does anyone know if TREX belts are compatible with the V450D01??? Jeeze i just got this thing from WOW hobbies yesterday. I have had no crashes with it.
urrl is offline Find More Posts by urrl
Last edited by urrl; Feb 10, 2011 at 07:37 AM.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 07:40 AM
MSR,Walkera 120D01,180Z,V450
Long Island NY
Joined Sep 2010
104 Posts
Not having to fly through windows

envious....22degrees F outside.
badbob10 is offline Find More Posts by badbob10
Old Feb 10, 2011, 07:51 AM
Geneva, Switzerland
Joined Oct 2010
134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by urrl View Post
EDIT: Test flew it this morning. Hovered fine except for the rudder. The rudder needed another gyro limit travel adjustment since it would turn left but not right. Fully encouraged, I made the adjustment and tried a second flight but spinning it up I saw the rudder was not spinning at all; turns out the rear rotor belt broke. Just when I thought I was making progress. Does anyone know if TREX belts are compatible with the V450D01??? Jeeze i just got this thing from WOW hobbies yesterday. I have had no crashes with it.
Yeap, a warning was given a while back by someone that one of the belt pulleys can have some burrs on it from manufacturing and can cause early belt breakage.

The belt on mine was too tight and I had to wiggle the boom inwards to ease it up a bit. It has since smoothened out but there is some fine belt dust around the front pulley so I might pull the boom and check both pulleys. The original poster never specified which one is thought to be the culprit.

It would be good to see some pictures of the front pulley area from multiple owners to see what kind of belt wear and dust accumulation is typical. This would help gauge typical belt life and possibly demonstrate signs of a belt ready to be replaced.

Consider yourself lucky in any case that it didn't happen in flight.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 07:58 AM
United States, FL, Hollywood
Joined Aug 2010
1,565 Posts
I do notice the main pully, not the rear has a lot of black debris between some of the teeth. Guess I will have to pull it apart. It would help if I had a manual.
But I have removed the tail of a 4F200 so how hard can it be.

But again, does anyone know if Align belts are compatible???
urrl is offline Find More Posts by urrl