HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 01, 2012, 08:29 PM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
6,986 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliFlyer711 View Post
Watch using threadloc on nyloc nuts, the nylon/plastic could disintegrate, as thread lock should only be used on metal to metal joints. It's one of those "Best Practice's" things.

If your using the Align Main/AR gears with Walkera main shaft sleeve it will still work the same. Theres also the option to use the Align main shaft sleeve for 100% compatibility, but really it all comes out to the same thing in the end. Once the screw threads bite into the nylon on the nut they will lock and stay locked, even under moderate vibration and high speed. Just make sure its bites tight and then turn 1/4 more past that.

See more info here;
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...93&postcount=7

Heres a current pic of mine, the bolt just about bites into the nut but with the pressure it locks into place. Pre-Flight checks always show this bolt tight.
Thank you much for the tips. I don't like using thread lock near the plastic gear or on lock nuts. I was going to flip the lock nut upside down but that would only be a quick makeshift fix. I ended up using a mounting screw from the 4f200's main gear. It's the same thread size but a few mm longer with threads all the way down the bolt. It will probably be more prone to sheering but that might be good. The tip of the bolt just barely protrudes the nut's surface on the other side. That is to say, it makes it all the way through the nut and out the other side.

As for my black out issue that has been appearing here and there, seemingly no matter what ESC i use. Well i tracked it down and MAN!!! Am i glad, but sooo pissed off too! All the money i wasted over this crap just trying to figure out what the issue was. I really went crazy when the 4f200 had a black out too!! That never happens anymore! I thought it might be my TX or a signal issue. So i brought the spare out and didn't get 1 minute into flight with the v450 and i crashed as soon as i went to do my first flip! Same thing with the 4f200! I was pulling my hair out!!

Okay, so with the TX eliminated as the cause of the blackouts I just couldn't figure it out. I started getting angry and i figured maybe something was jamming my signal or creating just the right interference that when the TX jumped to that channel or whatever, the heli just lost signal and went down. Well after cooling off and thinking more rationally. I figured, noooooo! No way is some guy just sitting out there waiting for me to flip and jamming me. And no way was the signal being interfered with way out here in the middle of no where. I dove into everything. I even dissembled the RX. After completing rebuilds on both helicopters i started to think... "Humm, what to these 2 helicopters have in common that could be causing this issue?!?".... Since the v120s both seemed to be flying fine today using the same TX too. I was about to give up and bust out the thermite! When all of a sudden a flash of yellow caught my eye! YUUUP! They both use XT60 connectors on the batteries!! After examining them i noticed that the pins on the XT60 are a cylinder with a X shape cut into it. The X shape is what creates a springy mechanic to the pin so that it can be inserted into the opposing cylinder of the same size! Well the X shape on both pins, on both helicopters had become squished together and my thinking was they were not making sufficient contact. SOB!!! You got to be kidding me!! /loadgun So i jammed a phillips head in there to expand the contacts some and went out to the empty lot i fly at near the private airport by my house. Just in case someone was jamming me . On the way out to set up my heli pad i found one of my v450 rotor stopper caps! lol. I took this as good luck! It never ceases to amaze me how i find lost parts and helicopters in this field months after loosing them! So... yeah! I flew 5 packs in both helicopters with out any issue! So either i was being jammed or these XT60 connectors are pretty iffy if they start to feel loose sliding on. /shootself
IntegrityHndywrk is offline Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 01, 2012, 08:39 PM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,872 Posts
Always nice to find the root cause to an issue. You might need to offer a part apology to Walkera now though! lol!
thwaitm is offline Find More Posts by thwaitm
Old Aug 01, 2012, 09:54 PM
They call me plan B
United States, GA, Covington
Joined Mar 2011
2,195 Posts
Yes glad you found the problem . I use 3.5 and 4.0 bullets. On my v400 and v450 but i use deans on my 600(requested by lhs)
I just ordered 2 turnigy 2200 mah. I can use them in both walkera helis. I flew the v450 in the back yard again, so smooooth, thanks again to heliflyer711! Then setup was key? I still have a wobble in myntail drive assemble, but i scared to swap it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thwaitm View Post
Always nice to find the root cause to an issue. You might need to offer a part apology to Walkera now though! lol!
Heli Biggie is offline Find More Posts by Heli Biggie
Old Aug 01, 2012, 11:09 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,986 Posts
Quote:
No apologies.. They still need to use better electronics! Their v450 servos are the worst they make, i think. Completely unreliable! The internal wiring and what not. Same thing with the internal design of their ESC. The only thing i will apologize for is for thinking these XT60 connectors were superior to the 4mm bullet connectors walkera settled on. Since the v450 was bought used, the previous owner was using XT60. I thought they were about the same as bullet but just a little better and not so cheap feeling. I liked them so much i converted the 4f200 too. I suppose the design is actually flawed though. The bullet is superior! But i suppose deans are best still. I just like the tighter grab of the XT60. It's like the bullet, but the plastic does not bind up so much, making it easier to pull apart. I just feel like the deans will come apart on me too! I don't know why. I know many people use them with no problems. I suppose I might try the blue EC3 ones next. Or just include a ESC battery plug inspection with my preflight /post flight checks. It's a good thing it's the ESC side that gets bent and worn and not the battery side, i suppose.

Still it's nice to find the cause of the issue though. Just thinking back and wondering if this was the cause of the last stock ESC's failures. It's basically the same symptoms. When the servos get pumped and drain the circuit while the throttle is high the connector must have had too much resistance and the RX shut down. I'm Hoping that these tropical storms hold out through the weekend so i can really put it to the test! It would be nice to fly tomorrow after work too but something tells me it's going to be raining here for a little bit.
Old Aug 01, 2012, 11:19 PM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,872 Posts
Yeah, I switched from JST to XT60s on my V200D01 (and all other 2S stuff). I thought they were pretty decent connectors but I think yours get a lot of use. That ESC connector is +500 connections maybe is it? When you think about flying and then the extra re-binds, bench tests etc? Did they start to get very easy to push together and pull apart? Mine still feel very snug of course.

I'm with you on those V450 servos too... worst thing is that my month where I was going to swap them out for the Savox was hijacked by work... I barely noticed July go by because I was working (according to my timesheet) about 285hours last month.

I think I shall try tonight if I can get home by 8pm.
Old Aug 02, 2012, 12:11 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,986 Posts
Quote:
Yeah, I switched from JST to XT60s on my V200D01 (and all other 2S stuff). I thought they were pretty decent connectors but I think yours get a lot of use. That ESC connector is +500 connections maybe is it? When you think about flying and then the extra re-binds, bench tests etc? Did they start to get very easy to push together and pull apart? Mine still feel very snug of course.

I'm with you on those V450 servos too... worst thing is that my month where I was going to swap them out for the Savox was hijacked by work... I barely noticed July go by because I was working (according to my timesheet) about 285hours last month.

I think I shall try tonight if I can get home by 8pm.
Yes, the new Esc has a new XT60 though. But YES it was feeling looser. I wonder if the ones I have are just cheap. I got them from lobbying.

Oh, it's a whole new bird with the savox servos. Just sucks i crashed so many times trying to figure this nonsense out and lost one of my swash balls and am now back to the slightly shorter "long" blade 450 ball links. The main thing i noticed that sucks pretty bad about the Savox servos that walkera seems to have gotten pretty good is the servo arms. The damn things are pretty brittle, especially after forcing a fatter screw in the small hole, or drilling it out. They are not very crash stable. I'll have to order some new servo arm sets now. Thats the plus, you can actually order more. I originally installed the more narrow one and broke it in the first crash. So i had to redo all of them and then i used the fatter one that is also longer. I was thinking it would be more durable, but it also broke in the next crash and i lost my swash ball that was in it. So basically the moral of the story is order servo arms with your replacement gears. The good news is after going through at least 4 major crashes the Savos servos are not stripped but have developed a small amount of slop. Not enough for me to replace the gears yet. Not even close to the slop the Walkera servos had right out of the box. I have to say, thats pretty good luck or something. The most durable thing by far on this helicopter (besides the CF frame) has been the canopy!? That said, my last painted canopy lasted many weeks and many crashes! But it is now retired. Here is the last picture i took of it. I have already reproduced it though in duplicate But there is nothing left of this one:

Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; Aug 02, 2012 at 02:59 AM.
Old Aug 02, 2012, 09:23 AM
NYC
Joined Aug 2010
2,207 Posts
Tipping over

Tipping over on ground before take-off. It did this three times. Now I installed and a brand new RXV2702, swash and links. Reconfigured RXV2702 and everything checks out? Using Savox cyclics ( have to recheck servo as the flipping over may have stripped my servos).

Swash level, zero at mid stick and gyro directions all check out durng and after RXV2072v. I even took off the blades and verify that works. At this point I am thinking about selling this heli as it has been a nightmare after I install the Savox servos.

Swash mix 40,40,45. I used swash leveler and zero at midstick.
Pitch is -10,0,+10
Throttle curve = linear
New RXV2702 and setup looks fine.
POTS settngs are set to netural for Elevator/Aileon at 12 o'clock

Afterone in NYC wants to buy it and take it off my hands? I am gettng tire of working on this.
Torch8 is offline Find More Posts by Torch8
Old Aug 02, 2012, 11:40 AM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,872 Posts
Sounds like you Torch and Viking are having the same issue...
Old Aug 02, 2012, 12:28 PM
Joined Mar 2011
462 Posts
I thought they make the swash arms brittle on purpose. So that they break in a crash instead of stripping gears.
Apphoard is offline Find More Posts by Apphoard
Old Aug 02, 2012, 02:16 PM
NYC
Joined Aug 2010
2,207 Posts
Quote:
Sounds like you Torch and Viking are having the same issue...
Yep, I'm going to recheck my servos, but at this point I finally lost my patience with this.
Old Aug 02, 2012, 04:07 PM
NYC
Joined Aug 2010
2,207 Posts
POTS settings

Can someone post their POTS settings on V450d01 using Savox servos? I just want to make sure that my gyro settings are correct. Heli's been tipping over on me, this is using brand new RX2702V.
Old Aug 02, 2012, 07:21 PM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,872 Posts
I'm beginning to wonder if Walkera updated something between the older 2702 and the later WK and D versions...
That's 2 which are fine on the bench but roll over in flight.
Old Aug 03, 2012, 02:02 PM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Jun 2008
48 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torch8 View Post
Tipping over on ground before take-off. It did this three times. Now I installed and a brand new RXV2702, swash and links. Reconfigured RXV2702 and everything checks out? Using Savox cyclics ( have to recheck servo as the flipping over may have stripped my servos).

Swash level, zero at mid stick and gyro directions all check out durng and after RXV2072v. I even took off the blades and verify that works. At this point I am thinking about selling this heli as it has been a nightmare after I install the Savox servos.

Swash mix 40,40,45. I used swash leveler and zero at midstick.
Pitch is -10,0,+10
Throttle curve = linear
New RXV2702 and setup looks fine.
POTS settngs are set to netural for Elevator/Aileon at 12 o'clock

Afterone in NYC wants to buy it and take it off my hands? I am gettng tire of working on this.
Swashmix to -40, -40, -45
then disconnect motor and have a look on the swash plate
fassla is offline Find More Posts by fassla
Old Aug 03, 2012, 02:04 PM
NYC
Joined Aug 2010
2,207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fassla View Post
Swashmix to -40, -40, -45
then disconnect motor and have a look on the swash plate
Thanks, I'll try going back to the negative settings.
Old Aug 03, 2012, 02:34 PM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Jun 2008
48 Posts
Can you post your REV settings `?
I'm using 410M and I had to change the REV as well. !!!
fassla is offline Find More Posts by fassla