SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 27, 2012, 07:19 PM
Joined Mar 2012
1,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
Well.. lets look at the slightly nonsensical..

How about your TX settings? Are you still using 3 servo setup? Or maybe did you switched it to single servo mode playing around? That would cause the reactions you are getting with the gyros working properly but once you take off it goes nuts. Otherwise i'm out of ideas... Go back over your TX from scratch if you have to maybe? I really can't get behind the notion that the RX/gyro is broken since your hand held tests are working.... You could try opening the RX jacket and looking inside to make sure nothing is loose or poorly soldered and got knocked loose. Who knows with these things anymore. I wish i could just hop in the car and say "i'll be right over, let me take a crack at it." But somehow i don't think your within driving distance lol.
I tried reconfiguring everything earlier but had to go back to the original configuration because nothing else would work for propper control response.
It is a real curiosity.
It's tough to see everything react correctly on the bench and on the ground only to have the reaction I get after leaving the ground, kinda looks like a string tied to the top of the mast and as soon as it leaves the ground someone pulls hard and it rolls over.
I do feel foolish that I can't figure it out. The only thing that hasn't been changed is the RX.
A VIKING is offline Find More Posts by A VIKING
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 27, 2012, 07:30 PM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A VIKING View Post
I tried reconfiguring everything earlier but had to go back to the original configuration because nothing else would work for propper control response.
It is a real curiosity.
It's tough to see everything react correctly on the bench and on the ground only to have the reaction I get after leaving the ground, kinda looks like a string tied to the top of the mast and as soon as it leaves the ground someone pulls hard and it rolls over.
I do feel foolish that I can't figure it out. The only thing that hasn't been changed is the RX.
Can you shoot some video of bench tests and then of hover tests too? Maybe you've been staring at it too long and it needs fresh eyes?
thwaitm is offline Find More Posts by thwaitm
Old Jul 27, 2012, 07:39 PM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,997 Posts
Can you revert to stock servos or are they toast?
Old Jul 27, 2012, 09:31 PM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
7,345 Posts
.....yeah, really. all the roll overs you apparently had and you didn't record any of them.... Look man. Thats just insensitive! So inconsiderate!! Don't you know RC helicopters are like nascar? No one wants to see the cars drive. They only go to see the crashes!!

lol, in all seriousness though. Video might help us help you. Thwaitm has a point.
IntegrityHndywrk is online now Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Old Jul 27, 2012, 09:45 PM
Joined Mar 2012
1,393 Posts
Quote:
.....yeah, really. all the roll overs you apparently had and you didn't record any of them.... Look man. Thats just insensitive! So inconsiderate!! Don't you know RC helicopters are like nascar? No one wants to see the cars drive. They only go to see the crashes!!

lol, in all seriousness though. Video might help us help you. Thwaitm has a point.
Sorry guy's no tape of the action. If you've seen one roll over you've seen them all.
I did think of reverting back to the old servos but didn't follow through.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 11:50 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,345 Posts
So i have the heli on the bench doing some maintenance. Lubing things and this and that. I noticed my brand new main shaft bearing is a little grainy already.... Its only got maybe 10 flights on it and 2 crashes. I think the crashes did it. /shrug.

Next point of notice.. The Align FS on the Walkera Rotor head. As we have discussed there is a small bit of play. I never had much of an issue with it because i adjusted the FS to the center and used the screw in the stopper cap to lock the FS from being able to rock back and forth inside the rotor. Well the hole is now stripped out completely from a crash a long time ago. I can no longer use a stopper cap on this rotor. So the FS moves around more and seems to have more play because it will often slide to one side or the other instead of staying center with the screw. Over time this rocking motion has bent the blade grip mounting screw's washers into a concave shape, which has exacerbated the slop on the FS/blade grips. I added a tiny 1mm thick washer behind the existing washer on one of the blade grip screws, as well as bent the other washers back to flat. The rotor head seems quite tight now with no play at all on the FS. I'm not sure that it will be okay like this?
Old Jul 28, 2012, 09:41 AM
Making Stock Fly Like Modified
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Oct 2009
2,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearprop88 View Post
Thanks for the tip. I didn't know what that switch was for so I left it turned off.
I'll make that change.
To setup the auto bail out feature have to fly in heli St1/St2 and not use normal mode anymore. With the ICe you can actually start up in St1 since it has such a soft start. Coming out of Throttle hold into St1, by the time you get to mid stick (0 Pitch) the heli is still spooling up and then to land its TH. For Auto's just click into throttle hold and then if bail out is needed when TH is clicked back on Throttle comes up instant.

Below is a PDF file explaining how to set it up.

All these options can be set preliminary on the bench without the blades on, especially motor timing. You can just hear if the motor is running smooth or not as far as spool up and running it at max 100%. If the timing isnt right then the motor will skip and not sound smooth etc.. The rest of the tweeks can be done in the air with the field card or Castle link/laptop.

For more DOC's/PDF's check my blog ; http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1656159
HeliFlyer711 is offline Find More Posts by HeliFlyer711
Old Jul 28, 2012, 02:13 PM
Joined Apr 2011
1,642 Posts
[QUOTE=HeliFlyer711;22288098]To setup the auto bail out feature have to fly in heli St1/St2 and not use normal mode anymore. With the ICe you can actually start up in St1 since it has such a soft start. Coming out of Throttle hold into St1, by the time you get to mid stick (0 Pitch) the heli is still spooling up and then to land its TH. For Auto's just click into throttle hold and then if bail out is needed when TH is clicked back on Throttle comes up instant.
Thanks very much for the info. Good stuff.

I'm working on installing a Robird in my V450. Not that it needs it, I like the way it flies with the 2702, but I'm just using it for a testbed. I'll report on how it works out. Very good reports are coming in on the Robird, so good that suppliers are raising their prices. Some say it's better, and it is much cheaper, than the Beast, and you can program it with your PC.
clearprop88 is online now Find More Posts by clearprop88
Old Jul 28, 2012, 02:25 PM
They call me plan B
United States, GA, Covington
Joined Mar 2011
2,358 Posts
Today was the real test. No problems so far.

walkera v450d01 3d feeling solid (4 min 44 sec)

Please enjoy. Other new videos of the 600 and v400 from today.
Heli Biggie is online now Find More Posts by Heli Biggie
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 28, 2012, 05:39 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Biggie View Post
Today was the real test. No problems so far.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82kFm...e_gdata_player
Please enjoy. Other new videos of the 600 and v400 from today.
Nice! I too flew very well today! All my testing is complete and i have adjusted my gyros and things to my liking. It was just too windy today and i kept fudging the camera angles so i didn't get much good video either. But i flew 5 packs already and have them recharged. Going back out after dinner to try and fly another 5 packs! Looking good. I am praying Viking gets his back up to par! I feel for him. But i think Walkera helis like to put us all though some hazing... Hey didn't they outlaw that behavior?
Old Jul 28, 2012, 08:02 PM
Joined Apr 2011
1,642 Posts
I just got my Robird setup, and installed in my V450.
I test hovered it in my Living room, about a foot off the floor.
So far so good, I'll fly it in the park tomorrow.
clearprop88 is online now Find More Posts by clearprop88
Old Jul 28, 2012, 08:42 PM
Joined Mar 2012
1,393 Posts
Quote:
Nice! I too flew very well today! All my testing is complete and i have adjusted my gyros and things to my liking. It was just too windy today and i kept fudging the camera angles so i didn't get much good video either. But i flew 5 packs already and have them recharged. Going back out after dinner to try and fly another 5 packs! Looking good. I am praying Viking gets his back up to par! I feel for him. But i think Walkera helis like to put us all though some hazing... Hey didn't they outlaw that behavior?

Thanks for the kind words Integrity!
I packed up the V and put it away in the basement for another time.
Took the M120 out tonight and flew 42 minutes flight time on it, it felt good to fly and even better to fly 7, six minute back to back flights and not worry about temps. It was a good day.

Viking
Old Jul 29, 2012, 05:07 PM
Making Stock Fly Like Modified
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Oct 2009
2,221 Posts

Hey Viking, when you get a chance check to make sure the setup on your V' s 2702V/2801-pro corresponds with whats shown in these pics. It could be a simple switch with the new servos is not set. This is the correct config for Align Ds410M cyclic and DS520 Tail servo setup. The rest is the 10mm on center extended swash arm mod and to make sure 0 pitch at 1/2 stick. The swash shouldnt move when the set button is pressed and the RX goes into SW set mode.
HeliFlyer711 is offline Find More Posts by HeliFlyer711
Old Jul 29, 2012, 08:30 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,345 Posts
Well i flew 5 packs yesterday just fine. Charged up the packs and went back out as stated in my last message. On my second pack i had another total black out on the RX while flipping the heli. . WTH MAN! This is such crap!
Old Jul 29, 2012, 09:27 PM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,997 Posts
Quote:
Well i flew 5 packs yesterday just fine. Charged up the packs and went back out as stated in my last message. On my second pack i had another total black out on the RX while flipping the heli. . WTH MAN! This is such crap!
Maybe a static issue? But it should be humid in Florida at the moment so that's kind of odd.