. . .. . .((. . .*~_. . . .”=-._. . .“;,,./`. . /” . . . ./. .. ../
. . . .. . .\`~,. . ..“~.,. . . . . . . . . ..`. . .}. . . . . . ../
. . . . . .(. ..`=-,,. . . .`. . . . . . . . . . . ..(. . . ;_,,-”
. . . . . ../.`~,. . ..`-.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..\. . /\
. . . . . . \`~.*-,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..|,./.....\,__
,,_. . . . . }.>-._\. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|. . . . . . ...`=~-,
. .. `=~-,_\_. . . `\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
.. . . . . . . . . .`=~-,,.\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . `:,, . . . . . . . . . . . . . `\. . . . . . ..__
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .`=-,. . . . . . . . . .,%`>--==``
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . _\. . . . . ._,-%. . . ..
Very Nice!
As far as spending cash, it comes naturally to me, it's something I was born with
Seriously, it was a big fast tumbling crash that bent everything except the tail rotor. I looked hard at buying another ship but did not want to buy the same, wanted to try out a Trex 450 but didn't want to spend that much cash when I already had the V and I found out the Trex isn't perfect either. What I wanted of the Trex would fit the V so the parts were orderd along with replacement parts that were distroyed. The big ticket items of the order were battery, sevos and blades, the remaining small items although small in dollar value count up because there were so many.
So my wallet is easier to sit on now, my helicopter is closer to what I want in a machine...it's a good day

Poor Viking
A VIKING is offline Find More Posts by A VIKING
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 19, 2012, 08:39 AM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
6,791 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A VIKING View Post
Very Nice!
As far as spending cash, it comes naturally to me, it's something I was born with
Seriously, it was a big fast tumbling crash that bent everything except the tail rotor. I looked hard at buying another ship but did not want to buy the same, wanted to try out a Trex 450 but didn't want to spend that much cash when I already had the V and I found out the Trex isn't perfect either. What I wanted of the Trex would fit the V so the parts were orderd along with replacement parts that were distroyed. The big ticket items of the order were battery, sevos and blades, the remaining small items although small in dollar value count up because there were so many.
So my wallet is easier to sit on now, my helicopter is closer to what I want in a machine...it's a good day

Poor Viking

Ah, did you get the align servos? I must have missed the part about you getting new servos. I also forgot about the battery. Which batteries are you using? I'm having pretty good luck with the Turnigy 2200 packs for like $9 each from hobbyking. They are a little heavy though. But cheap. They are available through their US warehouse too. So shipping in like 3 days. At first i thought you spent it all on WK parts.

Your right, since like heliflyer711 said. We are stuck with this thing. For lack of a better term. Once you change the ESC and servos, well it's almost a reliable heli at this point. The only question is, will the RX hold up??? LOL.

You know, to be honest. Buying the v450 as parts and building it is not that expensive. If people were to only do that and and skip on the stock esc and servos in the first place. Well this heli wouldn't be so bad. Truth be told. If it wasn't for Walkera. Half of us probably wouldn't be here yet.
IntegrityHndywrk is online now Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; Jul 19, 2012 at 08:49 AM.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 01:09 PM
Making Stock Fly Like Modified
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Oct 2009
2,221 Posts
Quote:
Very Nice!

Poor Viking

This is all in good fun guys, the face palm is a helifreak icon something I wish was here on RCG. When doing the V450 upgrade though, motor, cyclic servos, tail servo, ESC, maybe a set of nice FBL blades and some gears = ~ 330.00-350.00 is totally expected for brand name mid grade stuff.

Lets break it down.

Align DS410M's (3) = 105.00
Align DS520 (1) = 50.00
BL450M Motor = 50.00
BL450P = 50.00
3GX = 130.00
Carbon Fiber 3G Blades = 20.00

About 400.00 for the electronics, then the frame = 160.00 (including good quality CnC head and tail) so 550.00 retail and usually can get them for around 500.00 or so shipped if you shop around and wait for some deals/holiday sales.

Im guessing the bad things heard about the Trex kits is from the 3Gx unit, so Beast-X to the rescue and thats another 200.00. If later down the road one is not happy with 3Gx's performance then its a 200.00 upgrade to go B-X or buy one used. Thats what I did with mine.

There is no perfect RC Helicopter, they all have thier inherent flaws minor or major is what it comes down too though.

This is the big draw of buying a Trex kit, the mid-grade electronics bought seperately come out to be almost the cost of the kit. The frame and everything else becomes a good deal I suppose then. I dont know what you read that was negative, but the Genuine Align Trex kits are much better than Walkera V450 as far as quality and the clones are not far behind for the budjet minded. Really today one can integrate a really nice setup for under 300.00 or < if the building skills are there and by shopping around in miser mode. But its easy to buy the kit already integrated and just build it if saving money isnt a priority. You would be amazed at the fit and finish of the CnC and Carbon Fiber differences between kits.

Walkera gets people in the door and this is not about bashing them, but being honest about the V450. Now that Integrity has upgraded and your about too also, no one can get offended by saying it Still though if you know your going to crash and crash often then spending 500.00-600.00 on a Trex kit starts to become cost prohibitive. Thats why the V450 RTF for 350.00 is such a biog draw, but today the Blade stuff thats out is hard to beat.

In other words if your going to buy a beginner RTF 450 today July 19th, 2012, the V450 should not be on the list anymore. Either build a cheap clone of go Blade. Just my opinion.
HeliFlyer711 is offline Find More Posts by HeliFlyer711
Old Jul 19, 2012, 01:17 PM
Making Stock Fly Like Modified
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Oct 2009
2,221 Posts
Here's another one for the repertoire; Just copy and past when needed and its RCG legal too. About the only thing left.
HeliFlyer711 is offline Find More Posts by HeliFlyer711
Old Jul 19, 2012, 04:47 PM
Joined Mar 2012
1,239 Posts
Oh...and then there's one more part in question.

During my evaluation of the damage and making the big list on things needing replacement I did an inspection of the swashplate and it looked great.
After removing it I discover the bearing is very rough or ratchety like half the balls (if it is a ball bearing assembly) had flat spots. In the flying that I have done, and you know I like my oil, I never saw any wear grease coming from that bearing. Is this the norm for that bearing, all the other Walkera bearings I have had were very smooth. On the big helicopter side of the fence you will come accross some bearings with just the same rough feel but by design, when they feel smooth is when you replace them. I can't emagine that technology being used on this bearing but than I just don't know.
So am I looking at a swashplate replacement also?

Curious Viking
Old Jul 19, 2012, 04:53 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,791 Posts
Just a quick note. The v450 flew perfect with no issues and not much heat with the savox servos today with the stock ESC. I'm sure my issues were 100% in the stock servos, probably the tail servo too. Anyway, i only flew one flight but i didn't get any cut offs, abnormalities or anything.

Also, the hobbywing platinum pro 40A ESC seems to be working out nicely. I have not tried gov. mode on it yet though. I just replaced all my shaft bearings because they were notchy as hell. So maybe now i can start messing with gov. mode. FYI for anyone that might try this ESC with the Turbo Ace 804 motor. I have settled on 18.75* for the timing. For now anyway. Still testing other settings. It seems to be the best setting to keep things smooth and powerful but still have a 5min (approx) flight time. Funny thing about this is that running the ESC on maximum timing the motor had much more power. Ran great. But only for about 3 minute flights. But at the end of a 3 min flight with max timing. Nothing was even warm. But after a 5 minute flight @ 18.75* things are a little warm. Not hot at all. But warm. No where near like the stock ESC or tail servo though.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 05:05 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,791 Posts
Quote:
During my evaluation of the damage and making the big list on things needing replacement I did an inspection of the swashplate and it looked great.
After removing it I discover the bearing is very rough or ratchety like half the balls (if it is a ball bearing assembly) had flat spots. In the flying that I have done, and you know I like my oil, I never saw any wear grease coming from that bearing. Is this the norm for that bearing, all the other Walkera bearings I have had were very smooth. On the big helicopter side of the fence you will come accross some bearings with just the same rough feel but by design, when they feel smooth is when you replace them. I can't emagine that technology being used on this bearing but than I just don't know.
So am I looking at a swashplate replacement also?

Curious Viking
Yes you are. My swash spins freely with no roughness or clicking. Its completely smooth and you can feel the viscosity of the grease. The walkera bearings are not so great. This is just my opinion... It may hold no grounds or fact behind it. But so far in my experience. The only bearings you should be adding any kind of lube to are the motor shaft bearings and thrust bearings. Maybe the main shaft bearing too. Though they are all sealed bearings and being such, adding oil to them might very well cause them to loose their smoothness since they are prepacked with grease and mostly designed to be replaced when they are old. This used to happen all the time to me with skateboard bearings when i was younger. I eventually started buying more expensive bearings that were packed instead of sealed and rated. Like abec 3 or abec 5. The packed bearings i could just take out, wash with alcohol and repack with grease. It was simple. But like i said. If i tried to add bearing oil or something to the sealed ones. All of a sudden they would become grainy and spin poorly like there was sand in there.

On heliflyers recommendation i ordered abec 3 bearings for my main shaft holders. Still waiting for them to arrive. I replaced them with stock bearing holders for now.

EDIT:
One correction. If the balls on the bearing are exposed, by all means use bearing grease. Preferably after cleaning the bearing. What i was trying to say is mixing one lube with another is usually not a good idea.. I just lack the literary gravitas to convey my thoughts sometimes.
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; Jul 19, 2012 at 06:06 PM.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 05:32 PM
They call me plan B
United States, GA, Covington
Joined Mar 2011
2,133 Posts
I got new walkera bearing set but have not replaced. Do they just pop out?
Heli Biggie is online now Find More Posts by Heli Biggie
Old Jul 19, 2012, 06:13 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,791 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Biggie View Post
I got new walkera bearing set but have not replaced. Do they just pop out?
Which ones? I use allen wrenches to pull or push out the ones in the blade grips and things like that. They seemed to come out pretty easily. To be honest though. I also have a bearing set for the V450 and I'm not quite sure where all of them go. I just bought it "just in case". lol. They do not include the main shaft bearings though. Those bearings need to be pressed in with a vise or something, like the OWBs are. I ordered these for my main shaft bearings replacement, still waiting for it though: http://helidirect.com/abec-3-bearing...0xl-p-1489.hdx

Old Jul 20, 2012, 02:53 PM
They call me plan B
Joined Mar 2011
2,133 Posts
That bearing kit doesnt come with the shaft bearing , omg Still windy and stormy here, i have some helis to fly!
Old Jul 20, 2012, 08:53 PM
They call me plan B
Joined Mar 2011
2,133 Posts
So has anyone made a swash leveler from an old swash plate? How would i get the inside to stop moving at the perfect level!
Old Jul 20, 2012, 10:48 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,791 Posts
Quote:
So has anyone made a swash leveler from an old swash plate? How would i get the inside to stop moving at the perfect level!
Uhhh...... *IUNNUH*.... CA?

I just bought one of these: http://helidirect.com/deluxe-swashpl...rt-p-10283.hdx

But to be honest. I have not used it very much. Thanks for reminding me i own one! lol.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 06:34 AM
Joined Mar 2012
1,239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
Uhhh...... *IUNNUH*.... CA?

I just bought one of these: http://helidirect.com/deluxe-swashpl...rt-p-10283.hdx

But to be honest. I have not used it very much. Thanks for reminding me i own one! lol.
I use one of these.......................................
...............'''''''''''''........
............/....(O)....\.........
............\............. /...............
...............--------.........
.................................................. ...

....ah come on it's an eyeball, if you squint real hard and tilt your head to the side after a couple beers it will follow you around the room, just like those fancy paintings

Really enjoyed rigging the DS4 and DS410M servo's. First servo's I have ever had who's servo arm's, all 4, end up perfectly horizontal or 90 at mid stick, so I off set one of the arms one seration so it would look normal to me...just kidding

Now that I have spare parts for the 450 I have parts to make other parts, such as in drilling the new servo arms for proper geometry. I used an old arm as the guide back to back with the new arm and used a screw from my spares bag, to tighten the two arms togeather, with a nut. I inserted a metal gromet from the old servo mount in the open end of the new servo arm (just so happens it fits perfect) to pass the screw though on that side running the nut down onto the metal gromet to tighten the two arms togeather to drill the hole. Way better than trying to drill that hole free hand only to end up with it being a little off here and a little off there.

I agree with you Integrity on the mixing of lubes, probly not a good idea but I find myself putting a drop here and there anyway because it makes me feel good. The sealed bearings if sealed correctly wouldn't see the oil anyway and I know they must use the finest in seals for their bearings.

Also, my new main rotor blades have a different airfoil than the old, the old blades have a convex curve upper and lower airfoil shape and the new blades have a slightly concave upper and lower airfoil shape like a slight vacuum plulled the skin in when the blades were laid up during assembly.

She's complete at this point all rigging is done both mechanical and electronic so all I need is the new swashplate, once installed I'll take her out on the flight line bind the TX to RX, close my eyes and click my heals togeather 3 times saying...I won't crash...I won't crash...I wont't crash. Yup that should do it.

Viking
Last edited by A VIKING; Jul 21, 2012 at 09:30 AM.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 07:44 AM
They call me plan B
Joined Mar 2011
2,133 Posts
I also thought about putting a little bubble level on the swash , flip it up side down and poof. Swash leveler. But i do by eye also.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 01:21 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,791 Posts
Quote:
I use one of these.......................................
...............'''''''''''''........
............/....(O)....\.........
............\............. /...............
...............--------.........
.................................................. ...

....ah come on it's an eyeball, if you squint real hard and tilt your head to the side after a couple beers it will follow you around the room, just like those fancy paintings

Really enjoyed rigging the DS4 and DS410M servo's. First servo's I have ever had who's servo arm's, all 4, end up perfectly horizontal or 90 at mid stick, so I off set one of the arms one seration so it would look normal to me...just kidding

Now that I have spare parts for the 450 I have parts to make other parts, such as in drilling the new servo arms for proper geometry. I used an old arm as the guide back to back with the new arm and used a screw from my spares bag, to tighten the two arms togeather, with a nut. I inserted a metal gromet from the old servo mount in the open end of the new servo arm (just so happens it fits perfect) to pass the screw though on that side running the nut down onto the metal gromet to tighten the two arms togeather to drill the hole. Way better than trying to drill that hole free hand only to end up with it being a little off here and a little off there.

I agree with you Integrity on the mixing of lubes, probly not a good idea but I find myself putting a drop here and there anyway because it makes me feel good. The sealed bearings if sealed correctly wouldn't see the oil anyway and I know they must use the finest in seals for their bearings.

Also, my new main rotor blades have a different airfoil than the old, the old blades have a convex curve upper and lower airfoil shape and the new blades have a slightly concave upper and lower airfoil shape like a slight vacuum plulled the skin in when the blades were laid up during assembly.

She's complete at this point all rigging is done both mechanical and electronic so all I need is the new swashplate, once installed I'll take her out on the flight line bind the TX to RX, close my eyes and click my heals togeather 3 times saying...I won't crash...I won't crash...I wont't crash. Yup that should do it.

Viking
Awesome man! good luck! don't forget to check your gyros! What blades are you using? You should just get the align blades too if your still using stock. They work good. Right now i'm still flying on my $6 FG blades. Just in case the worst happens and i do get a failure. Today it's pretty hot and I'm going to go put it to the test. I'm not worried..... much.

Quote:
I also thought about putting a little bubble level on the swash , flip it up side down and poof. Swash leveler. But i do by eye also.
Well, i don't think that will work out for you very much. Your not trying to level the swash to exact level. It's more like leveling the swash to the to the vertical axis of the main shaft. The rest of the helicopter should be already leveled with it too. So we use our eyes most of the time, it seems. By looking at the the tail boom and horizontal level of the skids too. Things like that. So it's actually easier to use a little clamp under your swash like maybe a spare locking collar or main gear hub with a locking collar under it to hold it up. Something like that. It will have a flat level surface that is leveled with the main shaft. You set the swash on top of it and adjust your linkages. Of course this is a pain because you have to remove everything to take the leveling device off when your done. It really is just easier to eyeball it and fly, land, make adjustments. I bought my leveler when i first got my v450... i think i've used it 2 times and forgot i even had it. LOL. i'm so used to eyeballing my smaller heli.