HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 18, 2012, 06:25 AM
Joined Mar 2012
1,350 Posts
Flight of the Phoenix

Thanks guy's for the tip's!
The "from the ground up" build begins, can't believe the screws that were sheared off in the frame.
Maybe had I done a proper pre or post flight inspection on the belt I wouldn't be going through the rebuild. I will now be in the habit of checking belt condition before flight along with everything else and oh yes the belt tension will be set up to my calibrated finger, if it feels way to tight, it probably is way to tight. I would rather hear the belt slip a tooth from being too loose and tighten as needed than have it to tight to begin with and have it fail in flight.

Viking
A VIKING is offline Find More Posts by A VIKING
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:22 AM
Making Stock Fly Like Modified
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Oct 2009
2,221 Posts
And on the 3rd day he rose again........
When a 450 crashes, as you've now personally witnessed, theres a whole lot more damage potential involved than the 120's and really no way to "crash proof" them at this size. One of the reasons why stiffiing up the frame is almost the opposite of crash proofing these things, yet can be benificial in the end. I knew you'd be back so thats why I didnt even reply to your resignation post . With heli's, I've learned to listen to that frustration, as every pilot goes through it - and just let it ride. The real test is going through the frustration phase...... and you got to go through, to get through it, and come out on the other side. All the while still trying to keep some dignity for people to take you seriously either here or at the field.. Thats where a man can get lost and go back to running truggies at the dirt track or back to planks and running flaperons. (not that theres anything wrong with that). You hear it all the time though in these threads. Along with the manic depressives that hate thier heli one day (and the world) and love it the next depending on how many parts is left in the coffers. Anyway, sometimes just listening is whats needed here and looking for a little consistancy, thats the sign of a mature pilot IMO.

Because lets face it, one thing is for sure the heli hobby is the hardest of all things RC, and that being the case there are a lot of guys who get in over thier head too fast, too soon. You see them roll out in the classifieds begging to be bought out, or constantly crashing/fixing and justifying it. Then theres the guys who like to argue about it and let off steam that way. But eventually, after all the crashing, posturing, speculation and cockstrong positioning posting is done and you get that almost perfect, if not perfect as it can get setup that you want to keep, because the heli feels like an extension of your fingers in the air...... you finally start to get to enjoy the hobby the way it was meant to be. The time/money and sweat invested starts to give off dividends. Mainly in haveing some great flights and taking your heli home in one piece after a full day of flying. Theres no better feeling knowing that you flew the doors off the bird and will be ready to do it again tommorow and all its going to take is pulling it out of the case.

With my 1st 450 an Esky BeltCPv2 which had and all plastic flybar head and frame, cheap servos and esc, motor etc. I used to crash all the time, then went into a blade 400 and between the 2 trying to keep one RTF, it got better eventually, but it took awhile to get there. During the winter months flying a 4G6 (which at the time was a no-nonsense engineers thread, the last of the best of the best IMO) indoors is where the skills rounded out. It's a lot less destructive, costly and dramatic to the ego flying a micro and practicing crashing on a sim. Back then when I would crash a flybar heli it was a guarenteed 3 hour repair and trying to get a consistant setup was the goal from one repair to another, rather than adapting skills to the setup, adapt the setup to the skills, which again takes some time. Today with the FBL setups, repair time is much quicker so count it a blessing, these helis are very simple really, once you break the threadlock from the factory the 1st time. With the Mcp-x, when that micro heli came out it was the perfect trainer heli, if you had enough timing to jump a rope in your body, you could flip and roll but that also became a money pit due to Blades high priced repair parts.

Btw all it takes to let the tension loose on the belt is to loosen the 2 screws and break the seal, the boom has a stop and once the stop is hit the tension should be OK. They seem to overtighten the belt at the factory for some reason, but a belt can and should last a long time.......maybe even years if its tensioned and maintained properly. Theres also a known problem with the front tail dirve being made out of drop forged or molded aluminum (instead of CnC cut) and disintegrating, also wobbleing and eating the belt up. So along with too tight tension, wobbleing and pieces fo metal being injected into the belt the V450's tail setup isnt very good. Although the 2702V makes up for the mechanical deficiency.
HeliFlyer711 is offline Find More Posts by HeliFlyer711
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:28 AM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
7,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A VIKING View Post
Thanks guy's for the tip's!
The "from the ground up" build begins, can't believe the screws that were sheared off in the frame.
Maybe had I done a proper pre or post flight inspection on the belt I wouldn't be going through the rebuild. I will now be in the habit of checking belt condition before flight along with everything else and oh yes the belt tension will be set up to my calibrated finger, if it feels way to tight, it probably is way to tight. I would rather hear the belt slip a tooth from being too loose and tighten as needed than have it to tight to begin with and have it fail in flight.

Viking
Personally i do use the method described in the manual. But, coming from the 4f200. The belt cannot be accessed to seen really well anywhere. Its' all in the tube and then right on to the gears basically with no room for a finger between the frame. At least not my big fingers. So i got in the habit of checking the belt tension by trying to leave it loose as possible then turn the tail rotor by hand on it's own rapidly with torque behind it. See if the torque is enough to skip a tooth without holding the main rotor. If you can't, Try holding the main rotor and seeing how much pressure you have to put till you feel the teeth start to slip. I just always try to keep the belts fairly loose. Tight enough to hold, but loose enough that if i do slap the tail on the ground landing or something, maybe it will slip a little instead of sheer the belt teeth or worse. After about 8-9 crashes i had to replace the 450 belt because it was semi flat in a few spots. The AR gear is in perfect shape though.
IntegrityHndywrk is offline Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:29 AM
Joined Oct 2009
2,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trhodes View Post
Hey everyone,

I have been flying a super v400 for several months and am thinking about getting another heli. I found the V450D01 V2 from hobbywow for about $370 shipped. Does anyone know if this is a legit sight? That seems like a hell of a price for the version 2 with metal geared servos and 6 axis gyro. All opinions are welcome.

In the end I think it's time to say after living with the V450 for a year I Do Not Recommend it as a 1st FBL heli or a 2nd or a 3rd, as a matter of fact I dont recommened it at all.

I wrote the repair guide for the guys that have it already and for lack of a better word are stuck with it, but I would never tell anyone to buy it. Why, The servos are junk, the ESC is junk, the frame and quality of materials is subpar to even the cheapest carbon fiber clones out these days.

When I bought mine, it was from a review from Wowhobbies that one of thier test pilots had recommened this heli highly and I trusted that review. But they didnt tell me how bad the servos were and what the bench experience was going to be like. Something one always wants to consider with a heli purchase. So I bought one and now after some time with it, this is the conclusion. And its as real as it gets.

For the micros walkera has it like the V120D02S, but for the 450 size beginners helis the 300X or the 450x is the way to go these days. Unless someone wants to build one themselves. Hope that helps about recommending the V450....I do not recommend it because only after youve put about 350.00 worth of electronics and Align parts in it will you have a respectable heli. And thats what the reviewers in the beginning of this thread didnt tell me or anyone else over a year ago, as a matter of fact the guy who told everyone to buy this heli sold his 2 not long ago. That should say something right there.....
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:31 AM
United States, NE, North Platte
Joined May 2012
149 Posts
Quote:
Hey everyone,

I have been flying a super v400 for several months and am thinking about getting another heli. I found the V450D01 V2 from hobbywow for about $370 shipped. Does anyone know if this is a legit sight? That seems like a hell of a price for the version 2 with metal geared servos and 6 axis gyro. All opinions are welcome.
Hey guys any advice on the version 2? Also is the hobby wow sight legit?

Thanks,
trhodes is offline Find More Posts by trhodes
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:34 AM
United States, NE, North Platte
Joined May 2012
149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliFlyer711 View Post
In the end I think it's time to say after living with the V450 for a year I Do Not Recommend it as a 1st FBL heli or a 2nd or a 3rd, as a matter of fact I dont recommened it at all.

I wrote the repair guide for the guys that have it already and for lack of a better word are stuck with it, but I would never tell anyone to buy it. Why, The servos are junk, the ESC is junk, the frame and quality of materials is subpar to even the cheapest carbon fiber clones out these days.

When I bought mine, it was from a review from Wowhobbies that one of thier test pilots had recommened this heli highly and I trusted that review. But they didnt tell me how bad the servos were and what the bench experience was going to be like. Something one always wants to consider with a heli purchase. So I bought one and now after some time with it, this is the conclusion. And its as real as it gets.

For the micros walkera has it like the V120D02S, but for the 450 size beginners helis the 300X or the 450x is the way to go these days. Unless someone wants to build one themselves. Hope that helps about recommending the V450....I do not recommend it because only after youve put about 350.00 worth of electronics and Align parts in it will you have a respectable heli. And thats what the reviewers in the beginning of this thread didnt tell me or anyone else over a year ago, as a matter of fact the guy who told everyone to buy this heli sold his 2 not long ago. That should say something right there.....
Thanks heliflyer,

I may go with a alzrc 450 pro fbl kit and get the walkera receiver. I want to use my DEVO 10 on the new heli.
trhodes is offline Find More Posts by trhodes
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:43 AM
Joined Oct 2009
2,221 Posts
Quote:
Hey guys any advice on the version 2? Also is the hobby wow sight legit?

Thanks,
See above ▲

General rule is stay with Walkera for the micros, but stay away from thier larger birds. Most guys here have had to put a substantial amount of money into this heli to get it to fly right, not necessary these days with whats available.

The guys who fly DSM/2 - X only go for blade's micros, but the Walkera's are better in that size. Most dont want to get another radio so they stick with Blade. The 300x/450X is the way to go RTF, even with the initial outlay for a spectrum radio in the end I think its a better deal. Unless you want to buy the V450 for cheap and then invest another 250.00 - 350.00 in upgrades. Im sure there will be some emotional responses and brand loyalty here but one thing you dont want to do is get emotionally involved with a heli and let it cloud the descision making process. After a year of mods and 350.00, I got my V flying the way it should be, but thats not something I can recommend with good conscience.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:55 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,295 Posts
Quote:
You will not find a single V450D01 for sale in Hong Kong, despite the fact that Hong Kong is very close to the Walkera factory. Street vendors here know what to carry and what to not. Although I have seen the V400D02 for sale, the vendors do not carry any spare parts. The reason is that the V400D02 is only bought by tourists.

As far as Walkera micros are concerned, no shops carry the full range. Again the vendors do their research first before deciding what to carry. The fact that we have good local support means that the success rate with Walkera is higher than in countries where there is little local support.
zadaw is offline Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Jul 18, 2012, 04:49 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,263 Posts
Quote:

I completely second these statements. Unless you are very, very able to understand, repair and modify this helicopter. Well even then... It's just a flying train wreck. I have TRIED!!!! and tried and tried to make this helicopter into something respectable without having to use after market parts. The fact is there is no saving the servos from frying on their own randomly. The ESC too. I bought mine used but the second flight the ESC caught fire. If you tie wrap the stock ESC too tightly it will cause electrical failure, short circuits. Even if you don't tie wrap it tightly the quality of the construction of Walkera electronics is below sub-par.

After flying and comparing a Align Trex 450 pro to the v450d01 i have to say. You get quite a bit LESS than what you pay for on the v450d01. The CF frame is not up to snuff with other brands. Though i've crashed very hard multiple times and have not even cracked it. Personally i would save up the money and just get a Align or a Tarot or some other kind of clone.

I am building a new V1 v450d01 one out of parts I've accumulated over the last few months. You can wait around and buy that one! It will have upgraded Savox servos and probably a upgraded ESC too. If anything it will be a similar ESC but not a Walkera one. Probably no RX on it though. So that who ever does buy it can get the one they want for Devo or 2801-pro. I'm really just building it because i can. If i don't ever sell it, oh well. But in a month or so it will probably be done.

The v2 v450d01 only has some minor changes to it.. Mostly the rotor head. I'm sure a v1 v450d01 with Savox or Align servos and a upgraded ESC will be 100% better than a V2 v450d01.. If you were wondering. Also the v2 v450d01 has a 6 axis gyro in the RX. That might be better for a rookie pilot but WTH is a rookie pilot doing buying a v450d01? For a first CP heli i STRONGLY advise against it. For a seasoned pilot, most will probably want to turn off the 6 axis but to my knowledge it cannot be turned off. At least the new v120 versions with 6 axis can't.
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; Jul 18, 2012 at 05:04 PM.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 06:52 PM
Joined Mar 2012
1,350 Posts
Quote:

I have nothing against crashing...when I create it...but it tears me up to have a mechanical failure from design or factory build problems. I have resisted the kits as a way to create a reliable bird but as I see it now it's the only way to go IMO. You can buy a RTF and then disassemble for a proper reassembly but as you said good luck with the factory lock tight releasing, so you may as well buy the kit and have clean hardware for the build.
Funny you should mention the 350.00 dollar figure also because your about 30.00 short of what I spent on my rebuild, every T-Rex part I could fit to include servos. Kept the Walkera motor, it's a good strong and light power plant IMO. I did consider buying the T-Rex but after researching it found it also had issues so I figure stay with the issues I already know and can work around.
Yup 320.00 dollar rebuild from a guy who whined about the cost to repair...my wallet will recover.
So from what I see you are saying, I should be pretty content with the V now, I have an excellent ESC, servos, gearing, sanded carbon fiber edges(pretty) and a properly adjusted belt...life is once again good.
When I crash again I hope it will be my fault. Now that I have had it completely torn down for inspection and rebuild, it's all on me now as it has always been.

Can't wait to try it out, got to let the gallon of lock tight dry first though

Viking
Old Jul 18, 2012, 08:40 PM
Joined Oct 2009
2,221 Posts
Quote:
I have nothing against crashing...when I create it...but it tears me up to have a mechanical failure from design or factory build problems. I have resisted the kits as a way to create a reliable bird but as I see it now it's the only way to go IMO. You can buy a RTF and then disassemble for a proper reassembly but as you said good luck with the factory lock tight releasing, so you may as well buy the kit and have clean hardware for the build.
Funny you should mention the 350.00 dollar figure also because your about 30.00 short of what I spent on my rebuild, every T-Rex part I could fit to include servos. Kept the Walkera motor, it's a good strong and light power plant IMO. I did consider buying the T-Rex but after researching it found it also had issues so I figure stay with the issues I already know and can work around.
Yup 320.00 dollar rebuild from a guy who whined about the cost to repair...my wallet will recover.
So from what I see you are saying, I should be pretty content with the V now, I have an excellent ESC, servos, gearing, sanded carbon fiber edges(pretty) and a properly adjusted belt...life is once again good.
When I crash again I hope it will be my fault. Now that I have had it completely torn down for inspection and rebuild, it's all on me now as it has always been.

Viking
Here's the original Tail Drive gear Assy. from my V450 after many flights, then the new one installed on the heli. There was a problem with the bottom gear riding down the shaft (notice the space between the top of gear and the belt) so I had to put a drop of CA then press it up, and its been holding. Tht was better than taking it all apart to repress it, if I were to do it again I would have put the CA on when putting the Assy together on the press.

The reason why I posted the pics is so you can see that the gear is molded instead of CNC cut. It has these rough edges and as they wear the belt wears down with it. Its like a sand casting.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 09:16 PM
Joined Oct 2009
2,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post
You will not find a single V450D01 for sale in Hong Kong, despite the fact that Hong Kong is very close to the Walkera factory. Street vendors here know what to carry and what to not. Although I have seen the V400D02 for sale, the vendors do not carry any spare parts. The reason is that the V400D02 is only bought by tourists.

As far as Walkera micros are concerned, no shops carry the full range. Again the vendors do their research first before deciding what to carry. The fact that we have good local support means that the success rate with Walkera is higher than in countries where there is little local support.
Hey there Zadaw, I believe it about the V450 over there. Has to be so many other choices in HK these days. Here in the USA at the time the V450 was released it seemed like a good deal RTF and Im happy with it now as mentioned, it was a fun project - a little costly but thats just the way it goes sometimes. Not something for a newer pilot to jump into though IMO unless they want a crash course and dont mind the tinkering and cost involved in upgrading especially after that 1st big crash.... Plus theres so much more out there now than when this heli was released.

Last time I counted there were 67 heli's by Walkera 90% micros or under 450 size. Since then Im sure theres been another 10 or so, but they have slowed it down quite a bit in the last year. Focusing on the Devo TX's I suppose. Was a time where there was a micro a week coming out of Guangzhou. Drove us nuts....

Here was the poll thread, maybe you remember it;
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1298111
Last edited by HeliFlyer711; Jul 18, 2012 at 09:30 PM.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 09:33 PM
Joined Mar 2012
1,350 Posts
Quote:
Here's the original Tail Drive gear Assy. from my V450 after many flights, then the new one installed on the heli. There was a problem with the bottom gear riding down the shaft (notice the space between the top of gear and the belt) so I had to put a drop of CA then press it up, and its been holding. Tht was better than taking it all apart to repress it, if I were to do it again I would have put the CA on when putting the Assy together on the press.

The reason why I posted the pics is so you can see that the gear is molded instead of CNC cut. It has these rough edges and as they wear the belt wears down with it. Its like a sand casting.
With the belt removed I did notice the rough surface of the drive gear, maybe I can do some fine polishing to take off some of the rough edges.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 02:10 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,263 Posts
Quote:

Viking

Dude, i don't know what the hell you broke for that much cash. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad your back and enjoying yourself! but... I mean, I know i'm like a girl in the clothes store when i start placing my orders too. But i'm only in to my v450 for about $800-900 (purchased used with lots of batteries and stuff for $450). I have crashed soooo many times. Replaced the ESC once, stock servos 3 times and have recently bought 2 sets of savox servos. On top of that i bought like 4 rotor heads and have gone though at least 5 packs of Trex main gears. I don't even want to know how many sets of blades and one way bearings. After my first full on crash with the v450 my repair bill was a total of $40. New blades ($20), new main gear/OWB ($15) and a set of landing gear ($4).You could have bought a whole new heli for $320 i think? I'm seriously interested in what all you broke now! Because most of my crashes have only equated to these normal items. OH wait! I'm wrong.. i also had to replace the main shaft too.

I actually bought this helicopter hoping it was going to be like this. I had read so many people saying their ESC burned up or their servos. I enjoy tinkering almost more than i enjoy flying. I really wanted to try figure out what the problems were with the ESC and fix them. But man, it sure can be frustrating when you find out that the reported problems are 100% worse than reported. 100% more than likely to happen to every v450, not just a few random ones that just made it out with poor QC. Even though i was actually expecting it to be something of a train wreck. I could never have predicted or expected the ESC would catch fire on me on flight #2 then burn out the tail servo before flight #5. Even though the tail servo was probably the cause of the whole issue. It really is just absurd that walkera is still allowed to sell these things.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 03:03 AM
Joined Oct 2009
2,221 Posts
. . . .. .. . . . . . . . . . . ,.-. . . . . . . . . .``~.,
. . . . . . . .. . . . . .,.-. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .-.,
. . . . .. .. . . . . ..,/. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :,
. . . .. . . . .. .,?. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\,
. .. . . . . . . . /. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,}
. . . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`^`.}
. . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:. . . ./
. . . . . . .?. . . __. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :`. . . ./
. . . . . . . /__.(. . .~-,_. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`. . .. .. ./
. . . . . . /(_. . ~,_. . . ..~,_. . . . . . . . . .,:`. . . . _/
. . . .. .{.._$;_. . .=,_. . . .-,_. . . ,.-~-,}, .~; /. .. .}
. . .. . .((. . .*~_. . . .=-._. . .;,,./`. . / . . . ./. .. ../
. . . .. . .\`~,. . ..~.,. . . . . . . . . ..`. . .}. . . . . . ../
. . . . . .(. ..`=-,,. . . .`. . . . . . . . . . . ..(. . . ;_,,-
. . . . . ../.`~,. . ..`-.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..\. . /\
. . . . . . \`~.*-,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..|,./.....\,__
,,_. . . . . }.>-._\. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|. . . . . . ...`=~-,
. .. `=~-,_\_. . . `\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
.. . . . . . . . . .`=~-,,.\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . `:,, . . . . . . . . . . . . . `\. . . . . . ..__
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .`=-,. . . . . . . . . .,%`>--==``
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . _\. . . . . ._,-%. . . ..