SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 15, 2012, 07:10 AM
Joined Mar 2012
1,306 Posts
So long.

It's been fun guy's but I'm calling it quits at least with the V450, I'll stick with my M120. Had my first and only big crash today with the V and you guy's can say you told me so. Flying straight low level about 5 feet with good airspeed I hear a high freq whine which was of the electronic type followed by a hard yaw and pitch over before I could get to the cut off switch. It bent everything so I will not be rebuilding, to much of a draw on my wallet. It's a shame when a company can't build electronics well enough to last more than a few weeks.
Also for the record, the cooling fan was removed as it was a fun item but couldn't move the air I was looking for so the ESC was moved behind the motor under the main gear fan for cooling.

Thanks to all, fly safe,
Viking
A VIKING is online now Find More Posts by A VIKING
Last edited by A VIKING; Jul 15, 2012 at 11:13 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 15, 2012, 01:14 PM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
7,140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A VIKING View Post
It's been fun guy's but I'm calling it quits at least with the V450, I'll stick with my M120. Had my first and only big crash today with the V and you guy's can say you told me so. Flying straight low level about 5 feet with good airspeed I hear a high freq whine which was of the electronic type followed by a hard yaw and pitch over before I could get to the cut off switch. It bent everything so I will not be rebuilding, to much of a draw on my wallet. It's a shame when a company can't build electronics well enough to last more than a few weeks.
Also for the record, the cooling fan was removed as it was a fun item but couldn't move the air I was looking for so the ESC was moved behind the motor under the main gear fan for cooling.

Thanks to all, fly safe,
Viking
Viking, this is truly sad, and there is absolutely no enjoyment out of saying "I told you so" for anyone. At least I'd like to think no one (human) enjoys it. I really wish i could have gotten through to you before this happened. More so I wish you didn't get such a bad crash out of it. You know, if you sit down and price the repairs on the v450... Well, I think you'd be surprised to find out that almost every spare part only costs about $2-5 more than your m120... It's the reason i bought a v450 in the fist place. I was sick of spending MORE MONEY for a single v120d05 main shaft then a single v450 shaft costs. I needed a D02s swash plate. To my horror it was only $6 less then the v450. About the only really expensive part on this helicopter is the rotor head, since it cannot be purchased in individual parts and the electronics (/spit on ground) After spending a $100 on your ESC i just can't see how you, a helicopter mechanic, are this discouraged by the price alone. I know exactly how you feel believe me. I did the same thing you did. I even bought a 2nd set of stock servos to really put it to the test and make sure the same thing happened to them. Well it happened 2x as fast on the second set because apparently stock servos cannot handle more than 5.0v without frying. At the least, i encourage you to repair it and sell it to recoup some of your losses. Right now there are no other used v450s on ebay for sale. Otherwise in a week or 2 i'd be glad to buy your Castle ice from you if it's still sitting around. Probably the RX too.

Alternatively, Since I grew impatient with Savox usa dot com, I put in an order on Thursday with Clubheli.com for a 2nd set of Savox Cyclic servos. They should be here monday. Very fast and great shipping! It had a tracking number, how amazing (get a clue HRP distributing, you suck). I'd be willing to sell you the ones from Savox USA when i receive them for a very reasonable price. I don't know how much else you damaged. But i have a few rotor heads. I can part with one for just under wowhobbies prices. I'd hate to see you call it quits right away. But i honestly know how you feel. Walkera might have copied some mechanical designs from other helicopters but their electronics are not worth the Chinese paper that our money is printed on (without any gold or silver backing, our money is worthless paper to start with). So i know, i for one have wanted to call it quits for a while now. I suppose i'm just too stubborn. I'm still waiting for the new electronics to determine weather or not i need to start collecting supplies to mix up some thermite. Although, maybe you'll beat me to it at this rate?

I know i popped in the M120 thread last week or the week before. It appears they have been missing you over there anyway.
IntegrityHndywrk is online now Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; Jul 15, 2012 at 02:15 PM.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 05:38 AM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,971 Posts
Quote:

Thanks to all, fly safe,
Viking
Sound - like a servo was slipping/dying? or more electronic?
Anyway, that sucks Viking. At least I crashed mine... no electronics fault. Only me.
thwaitm is offline Find More Posts by thwaitm
Old Jul 16, 2012, 01:01 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thwaitm View Post
Sound - like a servo was slipping/dying? or more electronic?
Anyway, that sucks Viking. At least I crashed mine... no electronics fault. Only me.
Can't be that mad about that one can you? I usually go "NOOOOOOOOO" then laugh about it, as long as it's all me. Didn't happen to catch it on film did you? lol.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 03:18 PM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,971 Posts
This old chestnut... I'm sure you've seen it already but for the thud as it goes in... enjoy it one more time!
The walk of shame... (0 min 51 sec)
Old Jul 16, 2012, 04:42 PM
They call me plan B
United States, GA, Covington
Joined Mar 2011
2,285 Posts
My new head is here , i cant wait to test, sorry about your lose viking , but its the way of the air games, my uncle just crashed his real plane cause of the landing gear not opening, not his fault , and he has been flying for 30 years, i think it is going to happen , its just a matter of time , no one or anything is perfect , oh well, thats bad news for my trex 600 i want to keep perfect,
Heli Biggie is offline Find More Posts by Heli Biggie
Old Jul 16, 2012, 09:37 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Biggie View Post
My new head is here , i cant wait to test, sorry about your lose viking , but its the way of the air games, my uncle just crashed his real plane cause of the landing gear not opening, not his fault , and he has been flying for 30 years, i think it is going to happen , its just a matter of time , no one or anything is perfect , oh well, thats bad news for my trex 600 i want to keep perfect,
Some how i really doubt your align 600 is going to fry the servos and crash 3 months after purchasing it. lol. If your v450 lasted a year (for the life of me i don't know how unless it was on a shelf) your trex 600 should last 3 without a failure.

Anyway, all of my servos came today at the same time! oh well. now i have some spare servos for the 2nd v450 i'm going to build from parts. Most of the parts i have already, but i'm just waiting for the CF frame pieces and new abec-3 bearings to press into my old main shaft bearing holders. I just need a new RX for it and preferably another non stock ESC. Even though my stock ESC still works. It's all just for fun because i have so many spare parts laying around already and now an extra set of cyclic servos. Might as well just do it. I'll have a backup heli or a spare helicopter to sell. One way or the other it should be fun! I suppose i can see why someone that used to repair helicopters for a living wouldn't be to thrilled to have to repair their toy helicopter. But for me this is a blast!

Oh yeah, i also managed install a set in my helicopter and did a few test flights. I used the stock servo arm and ball on the tail servo and reduced the traveladj in the TX back to 100% on both sides instead of wow hobbies settings of 125%. I also increased the expo on the rudder to 40% leaving the D/R at 100%. That helped to reduce unwanted stick movement and sensitivity of this tail servo without reducing the mechanical gain, yet. That will be next if i don't like how this behaves. But from 70-100% gyro gain the tail does not wag, yaw or wobble or anything. The heli is rock solid. I used the "long" eflite Blade 450 linkages up front to get close to stock geometry. It's close, but not long enough. They are longer then the stock v450 balls were though and have the same thread size. Over all it worked out well and flew nice. I set the ESC to maximum timing and it seemed to work fine like that but still kicked the tail to the right if i did a hard full stick UP climb out. I'm not sure whats causing it. I can only speculate. Perhaps it's because my servo arm balls are located to far out? The only other thing i can think is to go back through the setup at 70 - 70 - 70 instead of 80 - 80 - 80 or perhaps just lower it now after the setup is completed? But honestly i don't know if that would be fixing the symptom and not the problem. Anyone have any clues here?
Old Jul 17, 2012, 12:04 AM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,971 Posts
I just got my Savox tail servo for this bird which will complete my required 4 replacements... and b*gger it - now I'm 2 hours (by shinkansen) away from home on a job until Friday... maybe next weekend then...
I also have the orange and green dampers and a tail brace to fit.

I'm making good progress with the other projects I have while the family is away too. I now have a second quad with huge long arms which I hope will become a decent video platform and a third quad which will be my traveller... compact size, removable arms but can actually take up to 12inch props! Much easier to transport internationally than a delicate well set up heli.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 01:36 PM
United States, NE, North Platte
Joined May 2012
149 Posts
V450D01 v2

Hey everyone,

I have been flying a super v400 for several months and am thinking about getting another heli. I found the V450D01 V2 from hobbywow for about $370 shipped. Does anyone know if this is a legit sight? That seems like a hell of a price for the version 2 with metal geared servos and 6 axis gyro. All opinions are welcome.
trhodes is offline Find More Posts by trhodes
Old Jul 17, 2012, 01:51 PM
They call me plan B
United States, GA, Covington
Joined Mar 2011
2,285 Posts
They say a pic is worth a thousand parts , i mean words,lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
Some how i really doubt your align 600 is going to fry the servos and crash 3 months after purchasing it. lol. If your v450 lasted a year (for the life of me i don't know how unless it was on a shelf) your trex 600 should last 3 without a failure.

Anyway, all of my servos came today at the same time! oh well. now i have some spare servos for the 2nd v450 i'm going to build from parts. Most of the parts i have already, but i'm just waiting for the CF frame pieces and new abec-3 bearings to press into my old main shaft bearing holders. I just need a new RX for it and preferably another non stock ESC. Even though my stock ESC still works. It's all just for fun because i have so many spare parts laying around already and now an extra set of cyclic servos. Might as well just do it. I'll have a backup heli or a spare helicopter to sell. One way or the other it should be fun! I suppose i can see why someone that used to repair helicopters for a living wouldn't be to thrilled to have to repair their toy helicopter. But for me this is a blast!

Oh yeah, i also managed install a set in my helicopter and did a few test flights. I used the stock servo arm and ball on the tail servo and reduced the traveladj in the TX back to 100% on both sides instead of wow hobbies settings of 125%. I also increased the expo on the rudder to 40% leaving the D/R at 100%. That helped to reduce unwanted stick movement and sensitivity of this tail servo without reducing the mechanical gain, yet. That will be next if i don't like how this behaves. But from 70-100% gyro gain the tail does not wag, yaw or wobble or anything. The heli is rock solid. I used the "long" eflite Blade 450 linkages up front to get close to stock geometry. It's close, but not long enough. They are longer then the stock v450 balls were though and have the same thread size. Over all it worked out well and flew nice. I set the ESC to maximum timing and it seemed to work fine like that but still kicked the tail to the right if i did a hard full stick UP climb out. I'm not sure whats causing it. I can only speculate. Perhaps it's because my servo arm balls are located to far out? The only other thing i can think is to go back through the setup at 70 - 70 - 70 instead of 80 - 80 - 80 or perhaps just lower it now after the setup is completed? But honestly i don't know if that would be fixing the symptom and not the problem. Anyone have any clues here?
Heli Biggie is offline Find More Posts by Heli Biggie
Old Jul 17, 2012, 09:34 PM
Joined Mar 2012
1,306 Posts
OK OK I couldn't just quite.

So I was a bit dramatic in the I quite statement and a bit of a fool. Integrity knew it didn't make sense for me to quite given my background and he was right. When your life revolves around something you love and a setback occurs we find ourselves exploring the reasons why, make corrections and keep going, it's who we are. I was bummed big time seeing the "V" tumble across the ground like the opening scene from "The Six Million Dollar Man" where the lifting body space vehicle comes in for a landing and tumbles across the desert in a cloud of dust. (for those old enough to remember)
So after leaving it in disappointment in the basement I finally got to curios as to what really happened.
In taking a close look I immediately saw the tail drive belt was broken, not a servo issue after all. In playing the flight back in my mind I remember flying low level at speed across the yard doing shallow hammer head turns repeatedly at each turn around. Prior to the crash I remember the high pitch whine and yaw and if I was a betting man, and I am, I would bet I lowered the collective to reduce power a bit as a reaction to the whine and settled quickly into the ground followed by a parts scattering tumble.
I initially thought that the belt was broken in the tumble but closer inspection of the tail blades showed no damage caused by rotation of the tail rotor hitting the ground, the tail rotor wasn't turning when it hit the ground and it's about the only thing that wasn't bent in the crash. It hit very hard, even bent the battery into the shape of a banana. Can you bend them back and reuse?
I had always questioned the tightness of the belt in that I thought it was to tight and the check for proper tightness is vague at best by pushing the belt inboard to half the distance to the other belt. No matter how tight the belt is if you push hard enough you'll get to the proper point in the check and think it's OK. So on my next belt installation I have knowledge as to what it should be...I know what to tight is and what it can cause and this belt was originally set in tension at the factory.
So I apologize for the "I quite" statement at the top of the page, when it comes to aviation I never have.
Looked at purchasing another 450 but after researching decided I would be better off with the "V".
Parts are on the way and I will take to the air again this week end, should be great weather with cooler temps.
Side note: I always wanted an extra set of canopy grommets and after the crash that's about all I could recover.
Feels good to be back on line.
Another side note: Those who have crashed before check out your carbon blades closely for damage, carbon fiber is very hard to detect failure in. My blades at first glance look OK but on closer inspection they have a ripple across the skin telling me they are not airworthy and could give it up in flight so look close at yours if you have crashed, the skin should reflect light smoothly when looking down the blade and not reflect light showing a rippled surface, I can take a picture of mine if anyone would like, I have two good examples.

Viking
A VIKING is online now Find More Posts by A VIKING
Old Jul 17, 2012, 09:59 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,140 Posts
Quote:
So I was a bit dramatic in the I quite statement and a bit of a fool. Integrity knew it didn't make sense for me to quite given my background and he was right. When your life revolves around something you love and a setback occurs we find ourselves exploring the reasons why, make corrections and keep going, it's who we are. I was bummed big time seeing the "V" tumble across the ground like the opening scene from "The Six Million Dollar Man" where the lifting body space vehicle comes in for a landing and tumbles across the desert in a cloud of dust. (for those old enough to remember)
So after leaving it in disappointment in the basement I finally got to curios as to what really happened.
In taking a close look I immediately saw the tail drive belt was broken, not a servo issue after all. In playing the flight back in my mind I remember flying low level at speed across the yard doing shallow hammer head turns repeatedly at each turn around. Prior to the crash I remember the high pitch whine and yaw and if I was a betting man, and I am, I would bet I lowered the collective to reduce power a bit as a reaction to the whine and settled quickly into the ground followed by a parts scattering tumble.
I initially thought that the belt was broken in the tumble but closer inspection of the tail blades showed no damage caused by rotation of the tail rotor hitting the ground, the tail rotor wasn't turning when it hit the ground and it's about the only thing that wasn't bent in the crash. It hit very hard, even bent the battery into the shape of a banana. Can you bend them back and reuse?
I had always questioned the tightness of the belt in that I thought it was to tight and the check for proper tightness is vague at best by pushing the belt inboard to half the distance to the other belt. No matter how tight the belt is if you push hard enough you'll get to the proper point in the check and think it's OK. So on my next belt installation I have knowledge as to what it should be...I know what to tight is and what it can cause and this belt was originally set in tension at the factory.
So I apologize for the "I quite" statement at the top of the page, when it comes to aviation I never have.
Looked at purchasing another 450 but after researching decided I would be better off with the "V".
Parts are on the way and I will take to the air again this week end, should be great weather with cooler temps.
Side note: I always wanted an extra set of canopy grommets and after the crash that's about all I could recover.
Feels good to be back on line.
Another side note: Those who have crashed before check out your carbon blades closely for damage, carbon fiber is very hard to detect failure in. My blades at first glance look OK but on closer inspection they have a ripple across the skin telling me they are not airworthy and could give it up in flight so look close at yours if you have crashed, the skin should reflect light smoothly when looking down the blade and not reflect light showing a rippled surface, I can take a picture of mine if anyone would like, I have two good examples.

Viking
I'm so glad you took a breather and collected yourself. It's great having you around and i know you enjoy flying. Are your servos actually still in one piece? I bet they are. Those servos might suck, but i'll be damned if they are not durable in a crash! I know, I crashed mine like 8 times and only stripped ONE of the 3 on the last crash. Whats funny to me, and probably crazy for you coming from your last crash with that particular mind set. I have crashed and rebuilt my v450 more times in the last 2 months than thwaitm has even flown his v450 this year... When i first got it, i definitely did not want to crash. I didn't want to fuss with the settings or have to do anything but enjoy the heli for a week or 2. Well.... that didn't happen.... I neglected to use ID bind on the v450 and bound it to my TX using the 4f200 settings. Since it's a 1 servo setup the helicopter just lifted off with authority at full head speed and did a front flip right into the dirt! WOOT, WOOT!! anyone for a face full of sand? I guess it's better than a face full of heli any day... But because of that very disheartening experience I got something very valuable out of it. For me crashing my helicopters into the dirt right off the bat makes me less intimidated the next time i fly it. Because now i already fixed the heli. I know more about it mechanically and have become more intimate with the working of the mechanics. I already put the first dent in the old girl. So there isn't any reason to polish her up any more, just like a new work truck. So when i'm flying. I no longer am thinking about how i don't want to fix it or maybe i don't know how to fix something. I now can just enjoy that the helicopter is working.... with the V450 all i did was crash. I've flown like 30 flights on my 4f200 without an issue. But because it's hot outside the v450 decides it's tired and wants to take a dirt nap from time to time. It can't help itself! It's used to Chinese climates.

OHHH! The savox servos are sweeeeet! I'm still going through getting them set up right. Still having a tail kick (to the right) in hard climb outs. I checked my servo arm balls and sure as hell i matched them to my old length from screw center to ball center. Instead of going 10mm. So i corrected the ball position and will try again tomorrow. I think i'm going to go through the RX setup again using 70 - 70 - 70 in swashmix too. 80 - 80 - 80 seems to give too much movement on the swash. I can tell you this much though. The Savox servos flip the v450 like it's a rag doll. There is no comparison to the Walkera servos.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 10:10 PM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,971 Posts
Welcome back Viking!
This is kinda what makes me laugh at the often vigorous debate on belt or shaft drive tail... ultimately, if you don't crash and maintain/setup properly both work well. When they fail... they both can cause major secondary damage. Personally, ye pays yer money and takes yer pick!
Without height, the loss of a tail rotor is rarely a happy ending I'd guess.

Oh, and before I forget... that LiPo is toast... who knows what internal damage has been caused. Don't risk a fire while charging your banana! For $20... it isn't worth the risk, to you, the heli, your charger, your house, your neighbours house... etc etc.
Remove the connectors (cut 1 wire at a time) and then drop it in a salty water bucket to discharge for a couple of days to be sure. Then bin it.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 10:17 PM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,971 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
I have crashed and rebuilt my v450 more times in the last 2 months than thwaitm has even flown his v450 this year...
I've had it out of the box a full 2 times...
Once to fly and once to redo the flybarless setup - and that's it!
Now I need to update my CV, find a new job in a different country, buy a house with acres of land or next to a big open area, move, have the kids grow up a bit, get a car to transport all my flying things and then maybe... I can start catching you up on the crashes!

I should be good by about 2050 - I'll be almost 80.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 11:19 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thwaitm View Post
Welcome back Viking!
This is kinda what makes me laugh at the often vigorous debate on belt or shaft drive tail... ultimately, if you don't crash and maintain/setup properly both work well. When they fail... they both can cause major secondary damage. Personally, ye pays yer money and takes yer pick!
Without height, the loss of a tail rotor is rarely a happy ending I'd guess.

Oh, and before I forget... that LiPo is toast... who knows what internal damage has been caused. Don't risk a fire while charging your banana! For $20... it isn't worth the risk, to you, the heli, your charger, your house, your neighbours house... etc etc.
Remove the connectors (cut 1 wire at a time) and then drop it in a salty water bucket to discharge for a couple of days to be sure. Then bin it.
Oh yeah, man! I'm glad you mentioned the battery, i forgot!! Keep it for bench testing your servos and things if it holds a charge, but don't fly with it. Even though, technically, as long as the anode and cathode are pressed firmly together and still have electrolyte between them, they will probably function fine. But random drops in voltage might occur. This is one of the reasons i HATE the v450 battery tray. Most of the battery hangs off of it with no support structure other than a flimsy 1mm piece of CF. The worst thing is the CF is plyed and splits in the middle making it flexible. I drip low viscosity CA into the cracks on mine just to make it stiff again. Works pretty good so far.

On another note about batteries.. I think i mentioned, i've been using Turnigy packs and a new turnigy 4x6s charger. The charger is working nicely. I also recently purchased 3 new packs for a total of 5 Turnigy 2.2Ah packs now. One of which is a 40C pack. It flies longer but i don't know if i can tell any difference in motor power or anything like that. With the new Hobbywing ESC and servos, nothing runs hot... Yet. It's not been blazing hot out the last 2 days and overcast, so that helps. But running a full pack in hover or 8s and feeling everything after, it's hardly warm to the touch. Including the batteries. So I can't really say the "40-50C" packs from Turnigy are any better than their "20-30C" packs for anything other than some extra flight time. They are also slightly larger, probably heavier too.

As for blades... Don't you guys just throw yours away after a scrape? I got sick of buying $20 align or even $12-15 pro 3d blades. I bought another set of the Fiberglass Pro 3d blades this time for like $7. Honestly, despite what people say about FG blades. For the price, if the heli is going to crash anyway, there fine!! At least till i know the heli is actually reliable again. i think this RX likes the extra weight of FG too. If i'm not mistaken, i think I read somewhere that FBL blades are usually made to be heavier than blades made for flybared units?