Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 08, 2012, 02:08 PM
Making Stock Fly Like Modified
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Oct 2009
2,221 Posts
Motor temp should be below 200 F to protect the NeoMags on some motors it could be lower like 180-160F depending on the quality of magnets used, usually noted in the specs. The Ice50 is reporting back the ESC's internal temp in the data logs though not the motor temp.
HeliFlyer711 is offline Find More Posts by HeliFlyer711
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 08, 2012, 02:34 PM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
6,813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliFlyer711 View Post
Motor temp should be below 200 F to protect the NeoMags on some motors it could be lower like 180-160F depending on the quality of magnets used, usually noted in the specs. The Ice50 is reporting back the ESC's internal temp in the data logs though not the motor temp.
I believe the new RX is supposed to have telemetry features with a motor temp sensor or some kind of thing? I have not looked into it much but i think there is some kind of temp sensor for the telemetry module. The only thing that scares me on the new RX is the 6 axis gyro. I'm not really interested in being locked into one of these with no off switch. Apparently the "new v120d02S" has no way of turning the 6 axis system off. This would be a nightmare if it's anything like the Genius 6 axis. Already experienced pilots will likely just fight the gyros. What do you guys think of 6 Axis on the 450? I sure hope for the more expensive RX it's optional.

Check this out too:
https://www.savoxusa.com/Articles.asp?ID=196

Seems like Savox recommends everything BUT the 0257 servo for 450 size helicopters. Are these updated versions maybe?
IntegrityHndywrk is online now Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; Jul 08, 2012 at 03:45 PM.
Old Jul 08, 2012, 04:00 PM
Joined Mar 2012
1,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliFlyer711 View Post
Heliflyer thanks for the correction on what temp is being recorded. When I first saw the temp recording feature on the Ice 50 I imediately thought motor, next thought was, now how are they doing that without a sensor, next thought was they must be doing some fancy resistance measuring to come up with a temp reading...after that I didn't think of it again. If i would have paid attention to the drop down box heading which clearly states ESC temp...oh well...got to slow down!
You'll get a kick out of this, I decided to install my tail boom struts.
I'll just have to carry the weight. Sinse I have been flying I have noticed more tail boom flex than I care to see, the aluminum tube is very flexable, more than I would have thought, so the struts go back on...got to find some lighter batteries.
A VIKING is offline Find More Posts by A VIKING
Last edited by A VIKING; Jul 09, 2012 at 07:20 PM.
Old Jul 08, 2012, 05:48 PM
Joined Oct 2009
2,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A VIKING View Post
Heliflyer thanks for the correction on what temp is being recorded. When I first saw the temp recording feature on the Ice 50 I imediately thought motor, next thought was, now how are they doing that without a sensor, next thought was they must be doing some fancy resistance measuring to come up with a temp reading...after that I didn't think of it again.
I'll just have to carry the weight. Sinse I have been flying I have noticed more tail boom flex than I care to see, the aluminum tube is very flexable, more than I would have thought, so the struts go back on...got to find some lighter batteries.
I hated to do it because you were having so much fun , but then thats why you have the IR temp gun as a sidearm. The one thing I noticed right away with the CC50 was power increase - consistant power, and since you kept the stock motor it looks like the most efficient performance upgrade path is to drop the stock ESC for the V450. I always liked the stock Walkera motor, its a real screamer just keep it lubed so the bearings last.
Old Jul 09, 2012, 12:43 AM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A VIKING View Post
Make sure you don't have any damage on the tail boom where it's been flexing... Aluminium can fatigue fail easily if it's been bending about a lot. It'll probably show up as little ripples/wrinkles at the entry to the boom holder.
If it snaps it would for sure make a mess...!
thwaitm is offline Find More Posts by thwaitm
Old Jul 09, 2012, 12:59 AM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
I believe the new RX is supposed to have telemetry features with a motor temp sensor or some kind of thing? I have not looked into it much but i think there is some kind of temp sensor for the telemetry module. The only thing that scares me on the new RX is the 6 axis gyro. I'm not really interested in being locked into one of these with no off switch. Apparently the "new v120d02S" has no way of turning the 6 axis system off. This would be a nightmare if it's anything like the Genius 6 axis. Already experienced pilots will likely just fight the gyros. What do you guys think of 6 Axis on the 450? I sure hope for the more expensive RX it's optional.

Check this out too:
https://www.savoxusa.com/Articles.asp?ID=196

Seems like Savox recommends everything BUT the 0257 servo for 450 size helicopters. Are these updated versions maybe?
Looks like the 261s are replacements for the 257s. All the specs bar the current draw and rotation speed at 6v are the same.
For the 262s, the torque is much less though the speed is higher, so as they say, good for a tail but I'd wonder about using them on the cyclic.
Old Jul 09, 2012, 05:18 AM
Joined Mar 2012
1,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thwaitm View Post
Make sure you don't have any damage on the tail boom where it's been flexing... Aluminium can fatigue fail easily if it's been bending about a lot. It'll probably show up as little ripples/wrinkles at the entry to the boom holder.
If it snaps it would for sure make a mess...!
No damage noticed but I am sure some stresses have been recorded by the aluminum and for the fatique failure possibility as you mentioned the struts are back on.
A VIKING is offline Find More Posts by A VIKING
Old Jul 09, 2012, 06:01 AM
Joined Oct 2009
2,221 Posts
Quote:
Looks like the 261s are replacements for the 257s. All the specs bar the current draw and rotation speed at 6v are the same.
For the 262s, the torque is much less though the speed is higher, so as they say, good for a tail but I'd wonder about using them on the cyclic.
Align has a new mini cyclic servo, the DS415M and a standard size tail servo DS425M with the new 450 Plus RTF kit. The DS415M cost less than the DS410M and looks to be 1ms faster @ 6v but Im not sure if its a better servo overall yet. The DS425M replaces the DS520 on the tail, although the 425 is metal gear'd. They may just be Aligns RTF servo set where they are saving money on production cost.

I dont like to guess but without even looking past the page that was posted, one of those new mini Savox servos is probably the DS415M and the other standard size is the DS425M. It's been well known that the DS410M = SH0257 cyclic and the Align DS520 = the Savox SH1357 Tail servo are the same servos's in drag and they are the servos that comes with "u build it" 450-Pro kits for a while now.

BTW some cant stand Align servos and some like them, I've never had a problem with them and I've had a few sets. If I wanted the ultimate 450 servo I'd go with the MKS DS95's on cyclic and DS95i on the tail, thats almost 300.00 in servo's though which would be total blasphemy to some builders even still. I think if you know and are a respecter of electronics, you know most times the good stuff isnt cheap and may be willing to pay the price for that. Although every so often along comes a cheap servo thats decent quality for most pilots skill levels. So no I dont think you have to spend 80.00 for a single servo, but 30.00- 40.00 isnt totally insane either.... I've had a 450 heli fly back on me and had to duck out of its way while it hit a wall behind me (lucky there was a wall and not a person) when running a 9.00 cyclics and the Elev failed. So I like to invest the money where it counts, thats not saying something like that couldnt happen with a 40.00 servo but since that incident, which was awhile ago, I take the time to do pre flight checks now everytime I fly and havent had any servo in flight failures. Notice i didnt say i didnt have any servo failures........., just none of them happened in flight

Slow down and do a thorough pre flight check and you may notice less broken spare parts in your box, since one failure leads to another with these things. Or ram-rod it all to failure over and over and make Walkera parts dealers rich, if thats the version of the hobby you enjoy.. For me, I'll Slow my roll and Quickly keep the money in my wallet maybe that comes with age or maybe it comes with time in.... Im not sure, but thats just my opinion on servos and heli's in general.
Last edited by HeliFlyer711; Jul 09, 2012 at 07:01 AM.
Old Jul 09, 2012, 04:30 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,813 Posts
I'm totally pissed off at Savoxusa.com. They need to get more organized and process their orders faster. This is the fist time a parts vendor has ever charged me sales tax too. Its very strange. I ordered my 3 servos on 06/28. They took till 07/03 to ship (4 business days) and they STILL have not arrived. I ordered 3 sets of cyclic, and one set of rudder gear sets on 07/4 and they arrived today. This place is seriously hinky. Avoid it if at all possible and use a regular distributer with a reputation. Otherwise if you HAVE to use them make sure you pay for shipping and get priority mail. Thats why i think my gear sets came so fast. The only thing i can think is that the "free shipping" they included in my order is BS. They charged me sales tax so they must be in florida, even though their contact page says Utah. That right there is a little shady in itself. But as i was saying, the only thing i can think is that their "free shipping" is seriously going to take the full reported 7 days for ground shipping within the same state?!? This is totally BS, i ship all the time and this is just not how things work with ground shipping. So i will assume they will arrive within the next 2-3 days. /end rant!
Old Jul 09, 2012, 05:21 PM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,787 Posts
Ring them up and ask them directly what's going on. You'll probably do better if you manage to remain calm though...!
Old Jul 09, 2012, 05:57 PM
Joined Mar 2011
462 Posts
3 sets of cyclic we see who has all the money. 😃
Apphoard is offline Find More Posts by Apphoard
Old Jul 09, 2012, 06:11 PM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,787 Posts
*HAD* - it's Savox USA who is now laughing all the way to the bank!
Old Jul 10, 2012, 01:27 AM
Joined Oct 2009
2,221 Posts
You guys are brutal thats my 2am had to get up to take a leak check the forum assesment
Old Jul 10, 2012, 01:57 AM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,787 Posts
Superbrain 60A Firmware - latest version from Hifei

Contacting Hifei service hifei.service @ gmail.com I was able to receive the latest firmware for the Turnigy Superbrain 60A ESC.

This is the logging ESC thing I have which showed that I managed to pump 90A through my stock motor causing smoke to flow freely!
It also has governor mode which it says *must* be enabled but since I'd heard about the sleeves being chewed by the OWB I decided not to use but maybe I will this time.
I shall test again next week if I get a chance. Maybe this latest FW will at least be better at over current cut out.
The nice thing is that it has a 4A switching BEC...

FW posted mainly for urrl who I think also has 1 or 2 of these in his parts box.
Last edited by thwaitm; Jul 10, 2012 at 02:07 AM.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 02:12 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,813 Posts
Quote:
Ring them up and ask them directly what's going on. You'll probably do better if you manage to remain calm though...!
I'm going to wait another day or two before i call. I'm sure it's their crappy free shipping service. They probably charged me sales tax on the sale and shipped the item from freaking Utah! None of which is legal. But whatever. If they shipped them from Florida, they should have been here by now. But i can't very well call to yell at them when the shipping time has not elapsed. I hate when people do that to me on international orders. This is a little different but the same principal of business applies. They said they shipped it, i just have to trust them. But i don't have to like their lack of communication or not providing tracking information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apphoard View Post
3 sets of cyclic we see who has all the money. 😃
Not 3 sets of cyclic. 1 set of 3 cyclic servos and a separate order of 3 sets of cyclic gears and 1 set of rudder gears. I wish i could have ordered 3 whole sets of cyclic.

I will say this though. The Savox tail servo i got off ebay is pretty nice. It came in a cool little plastic box with nicely printed UV coated inserts and 2 sets of Savox stickers. I'm sure all of this is 10% of the purchase cost too. One of the sticker sets has a bunch of number stickers you can use for whatever. Thats kind of cool, i guess, for... .something.