HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 07, 2012, 05:36 PM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
6,979 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearprop88 View Post
I just got my Ice 50. I'm trying to decide on where to mount it. How does it balance out with it under the battery?
From what i have gathered, the best place for CG is under the battery. Since the Ice 50 is heavy with its heat sink. Good luck with that bad boy! I just crashed my 4f200! I should have bought yours instead of this stupid 450! Then i'd at least have something decent to fly right now.
IntegrityHndywrk is online now Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 07, 2012, 05:53 PM
They call me plan B
United States, GA, Covington
Joined Mar 2011
2,189 Posts
I have a pinion remover , i sure hope you say thats gonna work , if not i may have more of a problem . Its just one thing after another, i dont think im scared to take the heli apart anymore, but i need to change tail boom out also. Do you guys just use a coat hanger to pull belt thru new boom??

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliFlyer711 View Post
Biggie check out the pics in the blog for reference, you could loosen the screws but it will be tight. I found the best way was to break the heli down because everything has to be lined up. Out of all the repairs that can be done on this bird, because its a split frame, this one is probably the most time intensive one and the hardest. Because that gear assembly is in the heart of the frame. Your gonna need a press for the gear and make sure to use some CA on the belt hub to lock it in place. It comes in a bag in pieces and has to be assembled, so it all lines up.

See #3 http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...93&postcount=7
Heli Biggie is online now Find More Posts by Heli Biggie
Old Jul 07, 2012, 06:09 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,979 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Biggie View Post
I have a pinion remover , i sure hope you say thats gonna work , if not i may have more of a problem . Its just one thing after another, i dont think im scared to take the heli apart anymore, but i need to change tail boom out also. Do you guys just use a coat hanger to pull belt thru new boom??
I personally hook the belt all up to the tail box and close it all up then use a CF training gear rod to push it up though the boom. hook it on the gear carefully using whatever tool you have that does not have sharp edges. Preferably your finger. I use this kind of a sewing hook thing my mom had. It's like a steel hook on the end but it's not sharp. I don't use the hook, but the round steel bar you can hook the belt with between the teeth and fulcrum leaver the belt onto the gear. Since it's shiny smooth steel the belt just slides into place. Tighten up the tail box and boom, if needed. And do your normal checkups.
Old Jul 07, 2012, 07:42 PM
Joined Apr 2011
1,557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Biggie View Post
I use a length of 6mm aluminum tubing. I cut a notch near the end that the belt fits into, then just pull it straight out. That way I know it isn't twisted. That's just one way. I'm sure there are many others.
clearprop88 is online now Find More Posts by clearprop88
Old Jul 07, 2012, 07:49 PM
Joined Apr 2011
1,557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
From what i have gathered, the best place for CG is under the battery. Since the Ice 50 is heavy with its heat sink. Good luck with that bad boy! I just crashed my 4f200! I should have bought yours instead of this stupid 450! Then i'd at least have something decent to fly right now.
Thanks for the tip. For now I just mounted it near where the stock one was, and it balances well. I'll eventually move it to the front where it will look better, and be out of the way. I have my battery alarm in that space now. I was anxious to try it out so I just slapped it on the side.

The 4F200 is still up for grabs. I haven't had time to put it out on the market yet.
Old Jul 07, 2012, 08:21 PM
Joined Mar 2012
1,279 Posts
Quote:
I was trying to tell you, your intakes should be enough if your just moving around slowly along with the gear fans and the down wash pushes around huge air streams though the heli. The castle should be top notch at this kind of application. It's my hobbywing esc i should be thinking about installing a fan for. Time will tell. It's driving the tail servo on the bench with 3 stock cyclics and the stock cyclics have not burned up yet. But i have not been using the cyclic stick or working the servos.

Viking, just FYI. I did in fact rewire my stock servos when i received them. One of them i rushed though and some was still poping up above the PCB. The other actually melted and shorted from the head UNDER the pcb. So all it takes is for them to run hot once or bind up and have an amperage spike. Anyway, i'm just trying to save you from what i have already thoroughly tested and attempted to do exactly what you are doing. The end result is this photo showing the results of about 2 weeks with the stock V450:
Now that I have the ability to see motor temp and I have some data to use with the fan I will diconnect the fan in the morning, fly the ship and compare temps without the fan running. I am waiting until morning to get OAT's the same as previous flights for a good comparison. If the temps are hotter, the fan stays, if they apear the same the fan goes.
Like I said before with consideration to weight, everything on the ship has to be so good looking I can't get myself to remove it, it is required for strength or it's required for reduction of temps....OK so I just added the last one...but if it doesn't do any good its back in the drawer for the fan. I'll let you guy's know. If the fan does reduce the temps, it will stay as it has no real negitive effect on the battery.
A VIKING is offline Find More Posts by A VIKING
Old Jul 07, 2012, 11:01 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,979 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A VIKING View Post
Now that I have the ability to see motor temp and I have some data to use with the fan I will diconnect the fan in the morning, fly the ship and compare temps without the fan running. I am waiting until morning to get OAT's the same as previous flights for a good comparison. If the temps are hotter, the fan stays, if they apear the same the fan goes.
Like I said before with consideration to weight, everything on the ship has to be so good looking I can't get myself to remove it, it is required for strength or it's required for reduction of temps....OK so I just added the last one...but if it doesn't do any good its back in the drawer for the fan. I'll let you guy's know. If the fan does reduce the temps, it will stay as it has no real negitive effect on the battery.
Whats your air and surface temps running there? The news is reporting 95 degrees or something like that without heat or tanning index. My therm out on the pool deck surface is 125ish around 3pm. Yup. It's summer in florida. Don't walk on the concrete barefoot!
Old Jul 07, 2012, 11:46 PM
Joined Apr 2011
1,557 Posts
Quote:
Whats your air and surface temps running there? The news is reporting 95 degrees or something like that without heat or tanning index. My therm out on the pool deck surface is 125ish around 3pm. Yup. It's summer in florida. Don't walk on the concrete barefoot!
I don't know what all this heat talk is about.
I flew in the park this morning, and the OAT at 8:30 was 65.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Old Jul 08, 2012, 05:52 AM
Joined Mar 2012
1,279 Posts
Quote:
My last flight yesterday afternoon here in Virginia was with an OAT of 102, don't know what the surface temp was, and you are right I didn't walk around bare foot. I wouldn't usually be out flying anything at these temps but it was an experiment to see how well the rotor flew in that heat and humidity. I don't know what the density altitude was at but the rotor performed well I thought, I wish I would have paid attention to collective position in a hover at that temp to compare with cooler temp collective position, I bet it was a little higher in the stroke. Flying my model airplanes in this heat really showed how much higher temps can effect performance even in models, all of the corners in the stunt pattern had to be flown with a larger radious, no tight corners in hot thin air.
Old Jul 08, 2012, 10:21 AM
Joined Mar 2011
462 Posts
It was 104 here yesterday I think. I am in Montgomery county, Maryland.
Apphoard is offline Find More Posts by Apphoard
Old Jul 08, 2012, 10:27 AM
Joined Apr 2011
1,557 Posts
We are expecting temps of 118 in the desert today. I may drive out there just to see how the Ice 50 performs in that heat.
Old Jul 08, 2012, 11:18 AM
Joined Mar 2011
462 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearprop88 View Post
We are expecting temps of 118 in the desert today. I may drive out there just to 'see how the Ice 50 performs in that heat.
Wow 118 I wouldn't go outside ! That is San Diego?
Apphoard is offline Find More Posts by Apphoard
Old Jul 08, 2012, 11:54 AM
Joined Apr 2011
1,557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apphoard View Post
Wow 118 I wouldn't go outside ! That is San Diego?
Yes, but it's in the desert, about 50 miles east of the coast.
Old Jul 08, 2012, 01:47 PM
Joined Mar 2012
1,279 Posts
Fan no fan temp update.

From what I see on the Ice 50 data log, when flying you can expect a 60 degree rise from ambient temperature for an ESC temp at the completion of the flight. Anotherwords if you start flying at 80 degees, your ESC temp as per the Ice 50 will increase 60 degrees up from that or at the end of the flight be 140 degrees. It's pretty consistant.
With my fan removed all togeather I see an 80 degree rise in ESC temp over ambient when flying or if I start at the same 80 degree as before I will end up with a 160 degree ESC temp as seen by the Ice.
The final ESC temp is linked to the starting OAT and 80 degrees is added to that number for a final ESC temp without the fan or in the case with fan I see 60 degrees in rise.
So what does all this mean...I don't know because I have don't a clue what the ESC opperating temperature or range should be.
I do know whithout the fan installed I can't touch my Ice 50 when the OAT is 83 degrees, I can touch it comfortably at that temp with the fan operating.

Update: From castle the normal internal temp should be kept below 210 degrees, it goes into thermal shut down at 250 degrees or above.

Please don't run out and install a fan as the jury is still out on it's worth but it does have a temp reducing effect.
Last edited by A VIKING; Jul 10, 2012 at 08:43 PM. Reason: Change referance from motor to ESC for temp sensing.
Old Jul 08, 2012, 02:07 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,979 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A VIKING View Post
From what I see on the Ice 50 data log, when flying you can expect a 60 degree rise from ambient temperature for an engine temp at the completion of the flight. Anotherwords if you start flying at 80 degees, your engine temp as per the Ice 50 will increase 60 degrees up from that or at the end of the flight be 140 degrees. It's pretty consistant.
With my fan removed all togeather I see an 80 degree rise in engine temp over ambient when flying or if I start at the same 80 degree as before I will end up with a 160 degree engine temp as seen by the Ice.
The final engine temp is linked to the starting OAT and 80 degrees is added to that number for a final engine temp without the fan or in the case with fan I see 60 degrees in rise.
So what does all this mean...I don't know because I have don't a clue what the motor opperating temperature or range should be.
I do know whithout the fan installed I can't touch my Ice 50 when the OAT is 83 degrees, I can touch it comfortably at that temp with the fan operating.

Please don't run out and install a fan as the jury is still out on it's worth but it does have a temp reducing effect.
Maybe this is one of my problems. I can't detect heat with my hands too well. I'm resilient to burning. I've regularly felt my electronics and at over $130, like say a CPU. I can press my thumb right to it. I go "oh damn it's hot"! Then i let it cool and fly again. I wouldn't doubt if my 4f200 motor gets every bit of 130 degrees by the end of the flight. Maybe i'll take my little digital air temp thermometer with the outdoor lead and press it to the motor after a flight just to see. I don't know what motor your using, but the stock Walkera motors are over speced for their size and cooling capacity, or so it seems. For instance, the 4f200 motor is labeled 3900kv but DJfuji clocked the head speed and rated the stock motor at around 6000kv. After installing 5200kv motors, i'd have to concur with his finding as my head speed is only reaching around 3800-4000 rpms using the same pinion. DJfuji clocked the stock motor pushing around 4400 rpms if i remember correctly. Of course i'm just using this cheap auditory tachometer application on my phone, but seems pretty close to accurate. /shrug. I need to get a radar/optical tach to be sure.

I think it would be funny to watch a guy on youtube crack an egg on his stock motor after a flight just to see if it will cook. lol!

Seriously though, i can't even stand outside let alone fly. It's every bit of 115 degrees (F) outside with a tanning index of like 5000 and humidity at 100% it's just brutal. The thermometer by my pool is at 138 degrees right now sitting on the concrete.
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; Jul 08, 2012 at 02:12 PM.