HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 05, 2012, 08:28 PM
Joined Mar 2012
1,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliFlyer711 View Post
Haha good one, and to think thats a bensonhurst ny accent and he smoked weed often? After watching the vid I can believe it LOL, I do some amature astronomy and sagan could explain extremely complex subjects very simply. Voyager 1 made the news as they think its ready to hit interstellar space, so I got caught in the stange side of U-tube again.......Shame he didnt fly RC.... they would have been some videos to watch.

Ok back to the V450 andyour regularly scheduled programs
I knew Voyager 1 was on the way out, WOW what a ride.
...and back to the V450, I did fly this afternoon in 96+ temps with slow flight and the ESC and motor remained comfortable to touch after landing so the air intakes in the nose, fan and Ice 50 do a good job in the heat...the battery though really gets hot, actually hotter than the motor. The bell of the motor stays comfortably warm but the output shaft pinion side of the motor still gets to hot to touch after flight, I am guessing that the bearing supporting the shaft has something to do with that, I do have proper gear mesh so I don't believe that could be the cause, not worried about it anyway...just an observation...keep it lubed.

Ran all the pots with exception of the TAIL back to center or 12:00, also adjusted the TX gyro back to 80% and after the next flight I decided I was just getting to picky. It has a minor shudder at those settings that is practically the same as the lower gyro settings I had earlier so again I need not worry, make a small adjustment, just fly and be glad it doesn't smell like burnt electronics when I'm done.

Viking
A VIKING is online now Find More Posts by A VIKING
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 05, 2012, 11:27 PM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
7,134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A VIKING View Post
Perfect example!
I understand!
Whats your take on my AILE being full negitive to eliminate shake, is it the norm or just what this particular RX requires because of differences with pot values.
Seriously, i know your enjoying your investment and want to live it out as long as possible. But honestly. My opinion. Just buy new servos now and save yourself the trouble of buying new blades and replacing your gears and shafts. OR were you the one with them just sitting in your parts box?? You got the ESC, now just take the plunge. I buy my gears 6 at a time and my shafts in fours & rotor heads in twos. I'm not scared to crash... anymore. I'm just sick and tired of it being the helicopters fault. But if i had any advise to someone that does not want to ever crash, particularly due to malfunction. It would be to absolutely avoid using the stock v450 servos. They are absolutely the worst servos Walkera makes. Mostly due to the inconsistency of them. My 09-9 servos came with almost 1mm of play in them new. It got worse too. Just do it now before the stock ones melt down or develop play and wobble or any other thing that is going to cause a crash. This includes the tail servo. I had just an absolutely horrible experience with my V450. After everything. I just don't think it's worth waiting just to see what happens. If anything should push you over the edge to buy them it should be this crazy guy that wants to thermite his v450 because of the stock electronics failing.

I keep telling myself... If all else fails.... Florida has plenty of rust and aluminum just laying around.

Quote:
Now if we could just find that 4th dimension Sagan was on about;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0WjV6MmCyM
"If we had access to higher dimensions we could move our pants around our bodies, through the 4th dimension and our days of dropping trousers would be over." - Dr. Seldon cooper
IntegrityHndywrk is offline Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Old Jul 06, 2012, 04:21 AM
Joined Mar 2012
1,304 Posts
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
Seriously, i know your enjoying your investment and want to live it out as long as possible. But honestly. My opinion. Just buy new servos now and save yourself the trouble of buying new blades and replacing your gears and shafts. OR were you the one with them just sitting in your parts box?? You got the ESC, now just take the plunge. I buy my gears 6 at a time and my shafts in fours & rotor heads in twos. I'm not scared to crash... anymore. I'm just sick and tired of it being the helicopters fault. But if i had any advise to someone that does not want to ever crash, particularly due to malfunction. It would be to absolutely avoid using the stock v450 servos. They are absolutely the worst servos Walkera makes. Mostly due to the inconsistency of them. My 09-9 servos came with almost 1mm of play in them new. It got worse too. Just do it now before the stock ones melt down or develop play and wobble or any other thing that is going to cause a crash. This includes the tail servo. I had just an absolutely horrible experience with my V450. After everything. I just don't think it's worth waiting just to see what happens. If anything should push you over the edge to buy them it should be this crazy guy that wants to thermite his v450 because of the stock electronics failing.

I keep telling myself... If all else fails.... Florida has plenty of rust and aluminum just laying around.
Thanks Integrity!
Just after recieving the V450 I disasembled the servos in an effort to be pro active in extending their life with an inspection and found the same wiring issues with pinched wire between the end cap and motor just as you had pictured, they have all been corrected. Solder joints looked good so I declaired them airworthy.
Being new they have little play in the gears and after every flight I check them for heat build up by touch and smell. I am hopeing that these efforts will help avoid a failure in flight and if I do detect a change in temp, smell or wear, they all will be replaced with Savox. Even as I dream of never crashing this bird, reality is I will and the servos will need replacing before they burn out or wear out.

Quote:
"If we had access to higher dimensions we could move our pants around our bodies, through the 4th dimension and our days of dropping trousers would be over." - Dr. Seldon cooper
Now I have a third person to worry about and no it's not Sheldon.
The ultimate would have been Carl Sagan making a guest appearance on "Big Bang" with Sheldon...that would be spectacular.
Last edited by A VIKING; Jul 06, 2012 at 08:28 AM.
Old Jul 06, 2012, 11:15 AM
Making Stock Fly Like Modified
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Oct 2009
2,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Biggie View Post
I didnt want to wreck for fear of making slop in my new align servos , i hope i didnt, . I may have slop in this scissor arms u speak of . But where are you talking about? So would the tail drive assembly make the top f the head wobble??
I wonder if i had main gear to tight? I hope i never wreck the 600! Its so perfect. I cant wait to test my new white blades on this heli. The black is hard tosee
These things, on mine those silver bushings were out of spec (too long) on the tapered end and this was causing tail blade grip slop. But there was only a small amount of extra material there, take too much off and it will bind up, leave too much on and theres slop (possible tail wag). If one or both of those 2 arms hanging down move laterally instead of only up and down then they are out of spec. Those arms ride on the tapered end of the bushings, but if theres space between the bolt head and where the taper ends and the arm is too loose, thats where the problem can be.
One of the things I do on all my helis is try to eliminate as much unneeded slop as possible, either adding shims or filing down..... but there are some parts that actually need a little.

I noticed using the Align FS that the head/blade grips were tighter, and its only ~1mm shorter than stock. But that was enough to throw off the balance of the blades dynamically. The tail wouldnt likely make the head shake but the if the gear is tighten down too tight that could cause problems. Dont be afraid to torque down the head bolt though. The head has an expansion joint and this is one place where you can screw it down good and tight.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
HeliFlyer711 is offline Find More Posts by HeliFlyer711
Last edited by HeliFlyer711; Jul 06, 2012 at 11:24 AM.
Old Jul 06, 2012, 11:21 AM
NYC
Joined Aug 2010
2,225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torch8 View Post
I will be reconfiguring V2702rx setup for Savox cyclic servos.

1. Installed Savox servos, center servo horns, go to REVERSE setup and configure directions. What is the REVERSE settings for Savox?

2. Set radio swash mix set to 70,70,70 or 80,80,80 and then run v2702rx setup?
Or what is proper swash mix to configure for the Savox?

I know how to run V2702rx setup to progam endpoints on Aileon, Elevator and Rudder.
Can someone just confirm if these steps are correct?
Torch8 is offline Find More Posts by Torch8
Old Jul 06, 2012, 11:58 AM
Joined Mar 2012
1,304 Posts
Quote:
These things, on mine those silver bushings were out of spec (too long) on the tapered end and this was causing tail blade grip slop. But there was only a small amount of extra material there, take too much off and it will bind up, leave too much on and theres slop (possible tail wag). If one or both of those 2 arms hanging down move laterally instead of only up and down then they are out of spec. Those arms ride on the tapered end of the bushings, but if theres space between the bolt head and where the taper ends and the arm is too loose, thats where the problem can be.
One of the things I do on all my helis is try to eliminate as much unneeded slop as possible, either adding shims or filing down..... but there are some parts that actually need a little.

I noticed using the Align FS that the head/blade grips were tighter, and its only ~1mm shorter than stock. But that was enough to throw off the balance of the blades dynamically. The tail wouldnt likely make the head shake but the if the gear is tighten down too tight that could cause problems. Dont be afraid to torque down the head bolt though. The head has an expansion joint and this is one place where you can screw it down good and tight.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
I had only one bushing of mine out of tollerance which needed milling. Makes you wonder how they manufacture parts.
Old Jul 06, 2012, 01:47 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,134 Posts
Quote:
Can someone just confirm if these steps are correct?
Sounds about right. After working on your RX/servos ALWAYS check the gyro motion AFTER setup and BEFORE trying to spool the rotor up. From what i have gathered. The Savox servos should be reversed to the opposite of the stock servos on both RX dip switches and the TX. After set up just tilt your helicopter and verify that the swash is trying to remain level when you tilt. Drop the tail and the back of the swash should lift to correct movement and remain level. tilt to the right and the right side of the swash should lift, and so on.

If after running neutral and end point setup and checking your gyros are working properly. You also need to make sure that BOTH your collective stick and cyclic stick are moving the servos in the proper directions. You should have already checked the TX controls by now, your just double checking them again before lift off. After all the checking and double checking the gyros and TX controls you should be ok to fly. If your gyros are wrong you might immediately notice a strange behavior during spool up. If you push the throttle up the heli will likely just lift off and dive right into the dirt. So always be sure the gyros and controls are correct.
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; Jul 06, 2012 at 02:00 PM.
Old Jul 06, 2012, 01:51 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,134 Posts
Quote:
I had only one bushing of mine out of tollerance which needed milling. Makes you wonder how they manufacture parts.
You know this is interesting. I have a stabilizer holder(swash) that is flapping around now side to side.. The bushings inside one of the arms must have just worn completely out or the previous owner never installed it correctly and i never noticed. They articulate properly and don't bind up or anything, at least not yet. But there is no bushing to hold the center joint from rocking back and forth. I suppose it's not been a problem because of the centrifugal forces. It probably just gets shoved to one side and operates there. I just got some new ones to replace it. I'm surprised i never noticed it. Really makes me think it's just recently happened.

Just a side note. Don't order direct from Savoxusa unless you have to and don't mind waiting. You want to wait half a week for processing and then (so far) 3+ days for shipping from the same state. It said 7 day ground, i seriously hope it's not going to take 7 days. Because even UPS ground can get a package anywhere on the east coast in 3 days. Oh yeah, they are completely vague about their shipping and when it was actually shipped too. Didn't provide a tracking number or anything. Seriously these guys better send me a t-shirt or something, i could have had them from clubheli by now. The tail servo i ordered off Ebay was cheaper than savox was charging and arrived in 2 days. Plus it came from like NY or somewhere, not from the same state i live in.
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; Jul 06, 2012 at 01:58 PM.
Old Jul 06, 2012, 01:53 PM
NYC
Joined Aug 2010
2,225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
Sounds about right. After working on your RX/servos ALWAYS check the gyro motion AFTER setup and BEFORE trying to spool the rotor up. From what i have gathered. The Savox servos should be reversed to the opposite of the stock servos on both RX dip switches and the TX. After set up just tilt your helicopter and verify that the swash is trying to remain level when you tilt. Drop the tail and the back of the swash should lift to correct movement and remain level. tilt to the right and the right side of the swash should lift, and so on.

If after running neutral and end point setup and checking your gyros are working properly. You also need to make sure that BOTH your collective stick and cyclic stick are moving the servos in the proper directions. After all the checking and double checking the gyros and TX controls you should be ok to fly. If your gyros are wrong you might immediately notice a strange behavior during spool up. If you push the throttle up the heli will likely just lift off and dive right into the dirt. So always be sure the gyros and controls are correct.
Got it, thanks much.
Torch8 is offline Find More Posts by Torch8
Old Jul 06, 2012, 02:02 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,134 Posts
Quote:
Got it, thanks much.
I just want to clarify one thing. You should have checked your TX controls during neutral point setup. Then double check them after neutral and end point setup along with your gyros. Just to be sure they are still correct.

Quote:
Now I have a third person to worry about and no it's not Sheldon.
The ultimate would have been Carl Sagan making a guest appearance on "Big Bang" with Sheldon...that would be spectacular.
Still funny as hell.. Seriously funny.
The Big bang Theory - Sheldon Cooper gets drunk (2 min 41 sec)
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; Jul 06, 2012 at 02:07 PM.
Old Jul 06, 2012, 02:54 PM
Joined Apr 2011
1,573 Posts
Man powered helicopter.
Gamera II HPH World Record Flight: 50 seconds

Gamera II HPH World Record Flight: 50 seconds (1 min 41 sec)
clearprop88 is offline Find More Posts by clearprop88
Old Jul 06, 2012, 03:38 PM
Joined Mar 2012
1,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearprop88 View Post
Man powered helicopter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0qfg...layer_embedded
Wonder what he had for Dual rate and Expo settings.
That was spectacular! Thanks for sharing!
Old Jul 06, 2012, 03:42 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearprop88 View Post
Man powered helicopter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0qfg...layer_embedded
Now that is pretty cool. A QR too. I wouldn't think it would be possible quite like this. I wonder if he can get more than a foot of lift, or if it's relying on "pocket hovering". Either way, it's cool. I wonder what those rotor blades are made out of.
Old Jul 06, 2012, 03:46 PM
Joined Mar 2012
1,304 Posts
Ice 50 Logged Data issue.

Anyone with an Ice 50 Field Link or USB connection.
Just trying out my new Field Link card and everything works well except when I try to review logged data I get "An error occurred while trying to parse the logged data".
Can you help me out?
I have also sent email to Castle but it is the week end.

Thanks,
Viking

Update: Tried a different sample rate and now it works perfectly, very cool.
I wish I would have had this capability before doing my cooling mods to see the result, I guess I can reverse engineer my mods to see what the effect less airflow has over the componants, then I'll know if the intakes and fan make a differance or not. Should be interresting.
Last edited by A VIKING; Jul 06, 2012 at 08:28 PM.
Old Jul 06, 2012, 04:29 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,134 Posts
So i found these cheap OWBs. Has anyone tried them in any heli at all? They are measured to fit the v450s gear cap. But for the price, they might just be worthless little things? I might order some anyway, but if it's just the same. These are half the price of the Align bearings.

http://helidirect.com/one-way-bearin...50-p-21039.hdx

Also i have recently purchased this new battery charger to expand my charging arsenal. I'm sure it will work great. Their batteries seem to be pretty good so far on my v450 too, and pretty cheap:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...atalog/TG4.jpg
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; Jul 06, 2012 at 05:10 PM.