HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 01, 2012, 05:04 PM
They call me plan B
United States, GA, Covington
Joined Mar 2011
2,100 Posts
Thanks , im not sure what happened there , maybe binding , i also found a loose swash stabilize screw. Either way i was happy to save it also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A VIKING View Post
Gret video and flying Heli Biggie, scared the crap out of me on the one roll though, dropped down below the tree line and I thought it was over.
Keep them coming, I enjoy the show.

Viking
Heli Biggie is offline Find More Posts by Heli Biggie
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 01, 2012, 05:13 PM
Joined Mar 2012
1,202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
Thank you for the little how-to. I appreciate you stressing safety in this public conversation. It is very important. I am very experienced with a Dremel and own a few of them for many years now. Your rounded corners looked excellent for being such thin material. I assumed you used some kind of fine diamond bit to do it. I really have no intention on doing this. MAYBE the scoop on the bottom. But for now i have my ESC mounted on the side under the rotor wash and my motor has it's own cooling fan type deal. It hardly gets warm. I'm hoping once i get my new servos and ESC installed I won't have these problems. I've already crashed my 450 2 times since getting the new servos, uhh... yesterday. Because of what i can only assume is the ESC going into thermal protection and killing the motor. Cyclic remains active but there isn't much you can do when it cuts out on you in the middle of doing 2 flips. I have video for this one actually. If i can bear the shame i might post it up later.
I have also worked the Dremel a lot but it still scares me to death, with other power hand tools you have the added safty of your finger on the trigger button to shut things off quickly if you drop it or whatever but the Dremel will continue to cut anything it touches if dropped, very dangerous.

They need to have one with a squeeze button at the neck where it's normally held to give a person better control of off and on, it would make me use it more, set your speed with the dial, grab the neck and get set up, squeeze the button and you have rotation, still would be a little dangerous though but wouldn't that be better or do they have something like that now, I've used the same old one for years.

Viking
A VIKING is offline Find More Posts by A VIKING
Old Jul 01, 2012, 05:25 PM
Joined Mar 2012
1,202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliFlyer711 View Post
All thats needed now is a wire cutter down at the bottom of the nose to go with the pilots windows. Nice job, looks factory made. When its really hot or im running 100's flat I'll fly without the canopy sometimes for the best heat dissapation and it really makes a difference as far as temps. Especially with the micros where the canopy adds 4 or 5g in weight.

As far as how to setup the CC50 with the TX, hopefully you got the coupon code for the USB link. I may have an extra code around here if not from when I had bought a few of thier products for the season. The stick method falls short in that you cant change from airplane mode to heli mode so that may be why the throttle seems "weird" it really needs the link to be set properly for fixed endpoints and some other key settings easily. For that use THRO2 port on the 2702V which doesnt have the throttle safety feature built in. Ice wont start up regardless until it sees bottom stick so that "safety" feature isnt needed. I spent hours testing this all out on the 2702V, but havent documented it yet......so if you need more info or find anythng else out let us know.

Here is the setup procedure for stick programming mode with the ICE50 on PDF, this can be done with the throttle cable from the ESC plugged into THRO2 on the 2702V using the TX sticks, youll get all the beeps to know whats going on through the motor so make sure its connected........;

http://www.castlecreations.com/suppo...User_Guide.pdf

The bec runs 5 to 7v @5A peak changes are made in .1v increments, the bec comes set @ 5v default out of the bag, so thats good for stock servos. I set mine on 5.8v to work with the upgraded 6v servos but wouldnt go past 5.8v with the 2702V RX/Gyro.
Thanks HF711!

I did get the coupon and have the instruction sheet. I have the program card coming but will get the USB link latter.
I'll give the THRO2 ESC connection a try. If I could just reprogram current limiting I would be very happy for now.

Viking
Old Jul 01, 2012, 05:29 PM
Joined Mar 2012
1,202 Posts
Quote:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1656159

V450D01 Mods Repairs and Setups Blog is now open for your comments, your mods (even if they contradict with mine ) your pics and your thoughts....load it up guys but please try to keep it lean and mean and on point with just the facts! Namely V50 Mods - Repairs & Setups. The rules are "there aint no rules" anything goes, I dont hit the report button, never have never will.. if that happens it was someone else.. And no post will be deleted........should be interesting

I got a few spots resevered for blades balanceing, Ice 50 setups, and misc.
Super Job HF711...Super Job!

Viking
Old Jul 01, 2012, 07:37 PM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
6,601 Posts
Quote:
I have also worked the Dremel a lot but it still scares me to death, with other power hand tools you have the added safty of your finger on the trigger button to shut things off quickly if you drop it or whatever but the Dremel will continue to cut anything it touches if dropped, very dangerous.

They need to have one with a squeeze button at the neck where it's normally held to give a person better control of off and on, it would make me use it more, set your speed with the dial, grab the neck and get set up, squeeze the button and you have rotation, still would be a little dangerous though but wouldn't that be better or do they have something like that now, I've used the same old one for years.

Viking
Yeah, i hear you. I find myself using the little precision handle thing on mine when ever i can. I even have the battery powered stylus one. It's okay for little jobs but the speed dial turns it's self down from vibration. Oh well. Just the same that little handle helps with holding it so you don't have an oops moment like that.
IntegrityHndywrk is online now Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Old Jul 01, 2012, 08:12 PM
Making Stock Fly Like Modified
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Oct 2009
2,220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Biggie View Post
Finally got to the more open field. This align 450mx motor is awesome. I thought i had locktited both side of my swash stabilizer but its seems that i forgot a side , i had a little glitch in the video . I think it was in a roll. Maybe i had some binding, i will lower my trav adj, for aile. Hope everyone had a good flying day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAXZo...e_gdata_player
I bet your running 3400-3600 RPM's @ 0* Pitch with no governor on that ESC. One thing I noticed right away with the ICE/BL450M/14T combo is it gets 3600RPM's, makes the V450 a real screamer. With the harder dampeners its really responsive too on the climbouts. What I dont know if it was the motor or the ESC that gave the increase because they were installed as a set.
HeliFlyer711 is offline Find More Posts by HeliFlyer711
Old Jul 01, 2012, 08:18 PM
Making Stock Fly Like Modified
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Oct 2009
2,220 Posts
Quote:
Thanks HF711!

I did get the coupon and have the instruction sheet. I have the program card coming but will get the USB link latter.
I'll give the THRO2 ESC connection a try. If I could just reprogram current limiting I would be very happy for now.

Viking
The program card has a castle link built in, its like getting both in one unit so it can be used either way. What Im curious about is what kind of headspeeds your getting with the stock motor using the ice. It will show up in the data logs, be nice to know as far as what to upgrade 1st to get the max performance.
HeliFlyer711 is offline Find More Posts by HeliFlyer711
Old Jul 01, 2012, 09:46 PM
They call me plan B
Joined Mar 2011
2,100 Posts
My v400 has the same head as the v450 . Today i put the green dampeners on the v400, i hope it flys like new , i have wrecked into my shed and other things but never changed out the fs. Next will be the main shaft. But thats later.

Quote:
I bet your running 3400-3600 RPM's @ 0* Pitch with no governor on that ESC. One thing I noticed right away with the ICE/BL450M/14T combo is it gets 3600RPM's, makes the V450 a real screamer. With the harder dampeners its really responsive too on the climbouts. What I dont know if it was the motor or the ESC that gave the increase because they were installed as a set.
Old Jul 02, 2012, 04:14 PM
Joined Mar 2012
1,202 Posts
I couldn't resist.

I couldn't hang with the 57 Chevy/Funny Car looking fins, IMO, on the canopy of the V450 so my scissors took over.
I measured down the back edge from the top aft corner of the canopy side panels, 3/8", created a line from that point forward to the top of the blister in the cowl for the swashplate links with painters tape and cut the excess canopy away.
How did I choose to remove the 3/8 inch dimension?
If you look at the side view, the canopy top and bottom aft corners, match the RX, which further extends the line of the canopy aft, which for my critical eye, is more pleasing. Also the upswept bottom line of the aft portion of the canopy now has a slightly down swept line at the top to work with.
IMO sleeker, better lines and less chunky.
Ever since I laid eyes on the V450 all I could see were the huge fins on the back canopy and I'm sure many think it's good looking but if you ever wondered what it would look like with less side wall, here you go.

OK...I've put my scissors and Dremel down...for the time being.

On a side note, since I have an Ice 50 up front that comes with the current limiting set to "normal" which is below what a helicopter should be set to in order to pull maximum pitch, it may be just the thing for someone new to helicopters who just happened to jump in at the 450 level. With the current limiter set low it's impossible to get carried away with to much power accidentally. If you pull collective in to fast the aircraft just stares back at you as if to say "give me a minute, I'll be with you in a moment". It makes for an even more docile aircraft to fly, but not much fun. What I don't know is if flying around with this much current limiting going on would be harmful to the system...OK electrical guy's...what do you think?
I'll be trying out THROT2 connection tonight with the ESC in an effort to program the current up to "Insensitive" for helicopter flight with my TX.
If I crash, I want full power...just kidding...my M120 is still on line for that duty.

UPDATE:

The ESC programming with the TX stick and Ice 50 plugged into THROT2 on the RX worked perfectly. I am now current "Insensitive" which means the lead shoes are off and the sprinting shoes are on, it's super helicopter once again.
Thanks to HF711 for fixing me up!

Viking
Last edited by A VIKING; Jul 02, 2012 at 05:25 PM.
Old Jul 02, 2012, 09:16 PM
They call me plan B
Joined Mar 2011
2,100 Posts
Wreck number 2

Looks like i had more binding on a left roll.
walkera v450d01 3d and crash # 2 (4 min 56 sec)

So far damage report is half of landing gear, main gear, main blades , swashplate, and one link. 2 servo horns.
Should i lower my swash mixing for aile to 60? Its at 70

Also if i have an align main gear , can i just pop it on where the original main gear is.? Or do i need the whole align setup?
Last edited by Heli Biggie; Jul 02, 2012 at 10:27 PM. Reason: More info
Old Jul 03, 2012, 02:05 AM
Joined Mar 2012
1,202 Posts
Quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKbHc...e_gdata_player

So far damage report is half of landing gear, main gear, main blades , swashplate, and one link. 2 servo horns.

Also if i have an align main gear , can i just pop it on where the original main gear is.? Or do i need the whole align setup?
Ouch, concrete is very unforgiving. Can you check freedom of motion with motor disconnected on the bench and adjust accordingly to prevent the issue at the extreme control positions?
The Align main gear is a drop in replacement, see the photo of my V450 above, it only has the Align main gear installed. I will be replacing the TR Drive gear as well one day to complete the cooling fan set even though I don't have anything other than a portion of the motor below them to cool at this point. My hope is that the downward air flow behind the canopy from the main gear will assist (by lowering air pressure at that location) the cooling fan mounted in the nose to move air through the nose over the ESC, battery and motor. Pure speculation on my part unless I can whip up a smoke wand to show an increase of airflow through the canopy enhanced by the additional main gear fans. Yet another project.

Curious Viking
Last edited by A VIKING; Jul 03, 2012 at 02:11 AM.
Old Jul 03, 2012, 03:42 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,601 Posts
Quote:
I couldn't hang with the 57 Chevy/Funny Car looking fins, IMO, on the canopy of the V450 so my scissors took over.
Looking at the pictures, i'm sorry. But it looks the same to me. I need to compare it to the original i suppose. Is it the top of the canopy you cut around the back? I suppose, without looking at a comparison. It makes it more streamlined to the RX? It was higher before? /shrug. I still like the shape of the v450 canopy better than most other 450s. Colors are not shabby either, on the shelf.

Quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKbHc...e_gdata_player

Don't feel bad man. You have about 7 more crashes to go due to mechanical / electrical failure before you catch up to me and i've only had my 450 for what? maybe 2 months or something. What a POS this thing is in the summer. I can't freaking wait for my new equipment. Though your binding thing has me concerned because i fly my heli at 80 - 80 - 80 in swash mixing and don't get any binding, not that i ever get to fly my 450. Crashed it 2 more times since the last post. It's all back together on my bench waiting for the new servos. Once it's configured and setup. If i crash this thing one more time over a ESC failure or melted servos. I'm not even going to sell it. I might just destroy it in the grandest way and record it so you guys can all watch. I'm thinking maybe gun powder or thermite.

Here is the last flight before my last crash with the stock ESC. It is the last video and last flight on my v450 before the upgraded electronics get installed. I have to say, out of all the stock Walkera helicopters I've owned. The v450 is the worst. Maybe it was just because i bought this one used? It flew nice and everything, i just couldn't get over the fear of electrical and mechanical failure after the first ESC burned up. Oh well. Bigger and better things, right?

V450D01 - 3d / inverted flight at park (2 min 45 sec)
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; Jul 03, 2012 at 04:43 AM.
Old Jul 03, 2012, 05:33 AM
Joined Mar 2012
1,202 Posts
[
Quote:
QUOTE=IntegrityHndywrk;22060874]Looking at the pictures, i'm sorry. But it looks the same to me. I need to compare it to the original i suppose. Is it the top of the canopy you cut around the back? I suppose, without looking at a comparison. It makes it more streamlined to the RX? It was higher before? /shrug. I still like the shape of the v450 canopy better than most other 450s. Colors are not shabby either, on the shelf.
No worries Integrity, it is a subtle change, 3/8" off the top of the back panel, but to me, it was a mile It's all in what a person sees.
Sorry about your ESC failures, just buy another controler, don't smoke the whole airframebut if you do the thermite and gunpowder would probly go viral.

Viking

Don't feel bad man. You have about 7 more crashes to go due to mechanical / electrical failure before you catch up to me and i've only had my 450 for what? maybe 2 months or something. What a POS this thing is in the summer. I can't freaking wait for my new equipment. Though your binding thing has me concerned because i fly my heli at 80 - 80 - 80 in swash mixing and don't get any binding, not that i ever get to fly my 450. Crashed it 2 more times since the last post. It's all back together on my bench waiting for the new servos. Once it's configured and setup. If i crash this thing one more time over a ESC failure or melted servos. I'm not even going to sell it. I might just destroy it in the grandest way and record it so you guys can all watch. I'm thinking maybe gun powder or thermite.

Here is the last flight before my last crash with the stock ESC. It is the last video and last flight on my v450 before the upgraded electronics get installed. I have to say, out of all the stock Walkera helicopters I've owned. The v450 is the worst. Maybe it was just because i bought this one used? It flew nice and everything, i just couldn't get over the fear of electrical and mechanical failure after the first ESC burned up. Oh well. Bigger and better things, right?

V450D01 - 3d / inverted flight at park (2 min 45 sec)
[/QUOTE]
Old Jul 03, 2012, 06:36 AM
They call me plan B
Joined Mar 2011
2,100 Posts
Good flying. 7 more crashes... Hahaha . I have had that many with my v400.

My 400 and my trex 600 are dreams to fly now a days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
Looking at the pictures, i'm sorry. But it looks the same to me. I need to compare it to the original i suppose. Is it the top of the canopy you cut around the back? I suppose, without looking at a comparison. It makes it more streamlined to the RX? It was higher before? /shrug. I still like the shape of the v450 canopy better than most other 450s. Colors are not shabby either, on the shelf.

http://youtu.be/Cb_CUqHFnww
Old Jul 03, 2012, 08:53 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,601 Posts
Oh, i just hope its a whole new story when the new servos get here and i can install this new ESC and hopefully not burn the servos up like the stock ones did

Yeah, I've only EVER crashed the 450 once because of my fault. TX binded the thing with another model data and tried to take off. lol. Otherwise..... no wait, i'm just going to say. I've never crashed the 450 for anything other than equipment failure. lol