Old Jun 19, 2012, 05:46 PM
Making Stock Fly Like Modified
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Oct 2009
2,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Biggie View Post
So slightly better name brand but lower power? Get 15 tooth.... check
Lower KV usually means higher torque & efficiency, but it also means a larger pinion is needed to get the same headspeed. The new Align 450MX motor is supposed to be more efficient and powerful than the 450M. But I think a lot of it is marketing gimmicks from what I've seen. There is a lot of voodoo involved in understanding brushless motors and all the specs that come with them, and its a balancing act of what best set of motor specs match the performance needed for the heli and power system being used. Whether your looking for flight time or performance being one..etc

For your purposes to keep the same Headspeed and specs you have now with the stock Walkera motor on the V450.....

If you get the 450MX go with 15T pinion and if you get the BL450M get the 14T pinion. For either make sure its for a 3.5mm diameter Θ motor shaft. It will tell you in the specs what diameter motor shaft size pinion it is.

You'll also need a set of either (3) 3.5mm bullets for the Align motor side OR a set of (3) 3mm Align gilt terminals for the WK ESC side.

Its not a plug and play solution unless you get the Align BL35P ESC which also comes with 3mm female bullets to match the Align motor. If you dont want to solder thats the easiest upgrade solution....

Hope that helps.

And yes thats the right 15T pinion to get! L8ter
HeliFlyer711 is offline Find More Posts by HeliFlyer711
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 19, 2012, 05:49 PM
United States, OH, Reynoldsburg
Joined Jun 2012
8 Posts
Well I did it yesterday, Crashed! It wasn't to bad though because I had the training gear on, the gear to the brunt of the hit. I did break the tail rotor and lost one of the main rotor linkages. When I got home from work today I looked again outside and BINGO, I found it. The canopy also needs replaced. So last night after the crash I ordered linkage set, canopy, and another tail rotor( I bought a spare when I first bought the heli). I installed the found linkage, tail rotor, and lightly damaged canopy and took it out for a spool up to check for other damage. Spool up went OK but when I picked up the RPM'S and came off the ground I am getting a vibration on the landing gear (left to right). This may be from the canopy or possibly the gyro set to high; the was my first flight without the training gear so I may need to turn down the gyro a bit. In addition now I am getting a squeak/ squeal noise that seems to be coming from the belt located around the pulley/belt gear area somewhere. I don't know what direction to go for this problem so everyone's thought and ideas would be great. I knew it would crash sooner or later I was just hoping it wouldn't be this soon.. lol. I think I have to step back a bit and get a simulator, anyone have one they want to sell.
Phone man is offline Find More Posts by Phone man
Old Jun 19, 2012, 06:02 PM
They call me plan B
United States, GA, Covington
Joined Mar 2011
2,135 Posts
Cool. Everything is 3.5 and 0.5 so i match up. Im going with 3.5 bullets,and i will be good to fly. Its going to be a new heli for sure now. Thanks again for your time ....pro

QUOTE=HeliFlyer711;21941928]Lower KV usually means higher torque & efficiency, but it also means a larger pinion is needed to get the same headspeed. The new Align 450MX motor is supposed to be more efficient and powerful than the 450M. But I think a lot of it is marketing gimmicks from what I've seen. There is a lot of voodoo involved in understanding brushless motors and all the specs that come with them, and its a balancing act of what best set of motor specs match the performance needed for the heli and power system being used. Whether your looking for flight time or performance being one..etc

For your purposes to keep the same Headspeed and specs you have now with the stock Walkera motor on the V450.....

If you get the 450MX go with 15T pinion and if you get the BL450M get the 14T pinion. For either make sure its for a 3.5mm diameter Θ motor shaft. It will tell you in the specs what diameter motor shaft size pinion it is.

You'll also need a set of either (3) 3.5mm bullets for the Align motor side OR a set of (3) 3mm Align gilt terminals for the WK ESC side.

Its not a plug and play solution unless you get the Align BL35P ESC which also comes with 3mm female bullets to match the Align motor. If you dont want to solder thats the easiest upgrade solution....

Hope that helps.

And yes thats the right 15T pinion to get! L8ter[/QUOTE]
Heli Biggie is offline Find More Posts by Heli Biggie
Old Jun 19, 2012, 06:08 PM
Making Stock Fly Like Modified
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Oct 2009
2,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phone man View Post
Well I did it yesterday, Crashed! It wasn't to bad though because I had the training gear on, the gear to the brunt of the hit. I did break the tail rotor and lost one of the main rotor linkages. When I got home from work today I looked again outside and BINGO, I found it. The canopy also needs replaced. So last night after the crash I ordered linkage set, canopy, and another tail rotor( I bought a spare when I first bought the heli). I installed the found linkage, tail rotor, and lightly damaged canopy and took it out for a spool up to check for other damage. Spool up went OK but when I picked up the RPM'S and came off the ground I am getting a vibration on the landing gear (left to right). This may be from the canopy or possibly the gyro set to high; the was my first flight without the training gear so I may need to turn down the gyro a bit. In addition now I am getting a squeak/ squeal noise that seems to be coming from the belt located around the pulley/belt gear area somewhere. I don't know what direction to go for this problem so everyone's thought and ideas would be great. I knew it would crash sooner or later I was just hoping it wouldn't be this soon.. lol. I think I have to step back a bit and get a simulator, anyone have one they want to sell.
Take all the blades off, then run the heli up and check that the tail shaft is spinning true. Theres a little dot in the middle of the tail shaft that you can see only when its running at speed. If the dot stays dead center and straight then the shaft is OK. If it looks blurry then the shaft is bent. Then put the new tail blades on and see if they shake and vibe up, sometimes a new set of blades main or tail need to be balanced. Im going to add a section on how to balance blades here at some point but you can google it for now to get an idea.

Thats my guess because you said you hit the tail blades (rotor) and the tail shaft is easily bent. This would cause the heli to vibrate and possibly squeak also from the rear of the belt pulley/idler bearing. Thats a good place to start.
HeliFlyer711 is offline Find More Posts by HeliFlyer711
Old Jun 19, 2012, 06:13 PM
United States, OH, Reynoldsburg
Joined Jun 2012
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliFlyer711 View Post
Take all the blades off, then run the heli up and check that the tail shaft is spinning true. Theres a little dot in the middle of the tail shaft that you can see only when its running at speed. If the dot stays dead center and straight then the shaft is OK. If it looks blurry then the shaft is bent. Then put the new tail blades on and see if they shake and vibe up, sometimes a new set of blades main or tail need to be balanced. Im going to add a section on how to balance blades here at some point but you can google it for now to get an idea.

Thats my guess because you said you hit the tail blades (rotor) and the tail shaft is easily bent. This would cause the heli to vibrate and possibly squeak also from the rear of the belt pulley/idler bearing. Thats a good place to start.
I had the blades off earlier and did spin it up however i didn't know to check that. Thank you, I will check that next.
Phone man is offline Find More Posts by Phone man
Old Jun 19, 2012, 06:58 PM
They call me plan B
Joined Mar 2011
2,135 Posts
walkera v450d02 charlotte nc.MP4 (5 min 13 sec)

Here is one of the videos from the v450 meet in charlotte. 2 other videos on my youtube. This heli with all align servos is a beast now, flips and rolls so fast . You can see demonofpryos heli sometimes.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 07:27 PM
Joined Mar 2011
462 Posts
HeliBiggie what made me better at soldering over night was flux. I don't know if you have used it or not. But if you have not it makes soldering a lot easier.
Apphoard is offline Find More Posts by Apphoard
Old Jun 19, 2012, 08:59 PM
They call me plan B
Joined Mar 2011
2,135 Posts
I have not used, but i have heard of it. Ill see what i can do. Motor, connectors, and pinion are ordered. It was perfect with the wobblely stock shaft, its going to be mint after this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apphoard View Post
HeliBiggie what made me better at soldering over night was flux. I don't know if you have used it or not. But if you have not it makes soldering a lot easier.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 09:10 PM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
Well I got sick of babying the v450 in flight and stop fearing the damn thing and just invert and flip it already. My new ESC should be here any day, so this could be one of the last videos using the stock one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulFrhfkO8Do
I like the white canopy. I think in flight the light colours actually look better - you can distinguish the features of the heli better with more contrast. I think stock looks nice sitting on the shelf but the darkness means everything merges in to one further out. I thought a similar thing when I watch my yellow canopied video again.
thwaitm is offline Find More Posts by thwaitm
Old Jun 19, 2012, 09:23 PM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliFlyer711 View Post
For the guys who have started a decent 3S Lipo collection for the 450's, here's an option on how to possibly cut down charge times. Long story short Parallel charging is faster, easy and safe.

2- Ideally the packs to be charged should all be at a similar voltage.
You need to be pretty careful about getting the voltages the same actually. If they are too far out then there can be a significant outflow from the higher voltage lipo to the lower one. Essentially you are creating a short circuit there is no resistance between the two packs so potentially you can send >50A to the low pack. It's unlikely to cause a fire but it might reduce the lifetime of your packs a little.

I check mine with a multimeter first and plug the low one in first, then when it gets up to the same voltage plug the higher one in.

On my B6 charger I can adjust the amps during charging so I can start off at 1C for the first battery, then double the current and maintain 1C after plugging in the second.

It's not something to be overly worried about, just something you should take care of and be concious of.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 11:03 PM
NYC
Joined Aug 2010
2,154 Posts
v2702rx damaged now which 3-axis options?

The setup button my my v2702RX is damaged, will need to replace it with another 3-axis gryo. What do you think of cx-3x1000 or tarot? If I go with that I will have to get Walkera RX?
Torch8 is offline Find More Posts by Torch8
Old Jun 19, 2012, 11:12 PM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torch8 View Post
The setup button my my v2702RX is damaged, will need to replace it with another 3-axis gryo. What do you think of cx-3x1000 or tarot? If I go with that I will have to get Walkera RX?
I'd take the 2702 apart and see if you can't remove the button and find a way to fix it/replace it. It's only a simple push closed switch. Even if you have to get a much bigger thing, trail wires and araldite it to the side of the RX it seems better than mucking about with the rest.

Why not just buy a replacement RX2702V if it really is dead (or RX2703H-D). I know it's $100+ but for all-in-one vs Heath Robinson solution maybe it's worth it on a 450.

If you're going to throw the old 2702 out - post it to me instead! I'll paypal you the shipping!
Old Jun 19, 2012, 11:49 PM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
6,791 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thwaitm View Post
If you're going to throw the old 2702 out - post it to me instead! I'll paypal you the shipping!
Lol i was going to say that!!

My 2702V has 2 broken dip switches and the button only works if i press it a particular way and on one side only, or something like that. But it still works. I'm not sure how they soldered the button in there, but I'm sure even someone who just learned to solder could probably do a better solder job than the 12 year old at the factory that made them originally. You could at least pull off a replacement or at the very least some lead wires to another external button like thwaitm said. I recently had to go to radio shack to get a toggle switch for my 2801. I'm pretty sure i saw these tiny buttons there too.
IntegrityHndywrk is offline Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Old Jun 20, 2012, 04:26 AM
Joined Mar 2012
1,239 Posts
That time of year.

Flew both the M120 and V450 for a long time late yesterday afternoon and had to appreciate that both helicopters allow you to establish a hover and then check yourself for mosquitoes and when you look back up you don't have to look around to find where the helicopter flew off to, it's still right where you left it.
I got to get some spray.

Viking
A VIKING is offline Find More Posts by A VIKING
Old Jun 20, 2012, 05:01 AM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A VIKING View Post
Flew both the M120 and V450 for a long time late yesterday afternoon and had to appreciate that both helicopters allow you to establish a hover and then check yourself for mosquitoes and when you look back up you don't have to look around to find where the helicopter flew off to, it's still right where you left it.
I got to get some spray.

Viking
+1

I have the same problem/happiness.