SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 12, 2012, 09:38 AM
Joined Dec 2011
27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thwaitm View Post
Err... because there is a space for it and it was $5 for the chip?
It really looks like it needs some sort of averaging/filter though in this config as the height graph does appear to hop up and down by a meter or more.

Nice 2nd hobby too - though isn't it a bit expensive when you dumb thumb it?
Ty thwaitm, and yes it would be expensive but i've yet to do that *knock on wood* and i've even tracked her a few times, such a pleasure to drive.

is the sensor near a propeller? The air flow may be causing it to go nuts if so.
Maybe you could put a shield around it with foam that can somewhat breathe as it is based on pressure it doesn't need direct air flow.
Just a thought.
Demonofpyro is offline Find More Posts by Demonofpyro
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 12, 2012, 10:01 AM
Joined Dec 2011
27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliFlyer711 View Post
Hey DOP....heres a few closeup's of the front Aile & Pit 410m's with the extended Walkera swash ball links on the V450 stock swash. Short and sweet.... the idea is to get the servo arms/links as parallel as possible 90, both horizontal and vertical with the swash arms so as to get as close to a 90 linear setup on the head @ 1/2 stick. As if it wasnt enough that the servos take a typical 60 arc in movement for +/- pitch, having the arms too far to the side or the back just compounds interactions....hope the pics help. (And my setup isnt perfect by no means...yet )

BTW for the T-450-Pro swash......a Servo arm with a 13mm on center ball should get you the horizontal 90, depending on the hitec servo's output arm might need a 5-6mm extended ball for vertical.
Those are some beefy linkages , any chance you could tell me the set number for those and possibly the website... I want them
Old Jun 12, 2012, 10:21 AM
Making Stock Fly Like Modified
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Oct 2009
2,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonofpyro View Post
Awesome, thanks for the info, i'm about to go order some extended ball links and reconfigure a bit to get as close to 90 degrees as possible.

Here's an attempt I just made at getting a bit of air flow to the ESC as a safety measure. Tell me what you think.
Attachment 4932250
Attachment 4932249
I notice the ESC can get pretty hot also, especially with the canopy on and it being mounted bottom/front. When I got my CC ICEv2 50 ESC I popped the plastic cover off the top (4 screws) and put some computer heat sink compound very neatly on the top of the FETS there so they would make better contact to the 50's external green heatsink. I always wondered why Castle doesnt do this at the factory with thier ESC's in general? They say as long as the chip surface and the heat sink surface are smooth ....no HS compound is needed to transfer heat.... but there are microscopic imperfections, and being a computer guy by trade 20+ years... I see a heatsink and think compound should be under it.

Anything that can be done to reduce temps are worthwhile. The good thing is a new canopy is 7 bucks so experiment away, I actually fly without a canopy most times lately just to keep things cool, especially with the 120 micros, they just add weight to the heli. The Align fan gears with those holes should keep things cooler for sure.

PS, the links in the pics I posted are just a set of new stock Walkera V450 linkages, the actual 4mm plastic links wont fit the larger Align 4.75mm Balls. Best to use the Align links they are made out of a harder plastic resin thats much stronger IMO than what Walkera uses. But you may be able to recycle the actual Walkera linkage rods..not sure.
HeliFlyer711 is offline Find More Posts by HeliFlyer711
Old Jun 12, 2012, 10:52 AM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,997 Posts
Quote:
Ty thwaitm, and yes it would be expensive but i've yet to do that *knock on wood* and i've even tracked her a few times, such a pleasure to drive.
Oh! Track days! GRIN! I had a CBR6 for them!

Quote:
is the sensor near a propeller? The air flow may be causing it to go nuts if so.
Maybe you could put a shield around it with foam that can somewhat breathe as it is based on pressure it doesn't need direct air flow.
Just a thought.
I plan on putting a foam cover and a small Tupperware over it but I was just watching the graph as it was sitting still on my livingroom floor!
I wonder how much mileage there is in barometric height lock. Maybe more as height increases (@100m +-1m isn't a whole lot).

For finding flight spots - yep - I think sunrise is my best option. Unfortunately I have no car so first train around 5 or anywhere I can cycle to. Really dumb thing is the last place I found, I've seen 2 other people there, 3 if you count the guard that told me no flying.
That place was totally perfect, but damned rules and security guards with nothing to do in Japan!
thwaitm is offline Find More Posts by thwaitm
Old Jun 12, 2012, 10:59 AM
Joined Dec 2011
27 Posts
Quote:
I notice the ESC can get pretty hot also, especially with the canopy on and it being mounted bottom/front. When I got my CC ICEv2 50 ESC I popped the plastic cover off the top (4 screws) and put some computer heat sink compound very neatly on the top of the FETS there so they would make better contact to the 50's external green heatsink. I always wondered why Castle doesnt do this at the factory with thier ESC's in general? They say as long as the chip surface and the heat sink surface are smooth ....no HS compound is needed to transfer heat.... but there are microscopic imperfections, and being a computer guy by trade 20+ years... I see a heatsink and think compound should be under it.

Anything that can be done to reduce temps are worthwhile. The good thing is a new canopy is 7 bucks so experiment away, I actually fly without a canopy most times lately just to keep things cool, especially with the 120 micros, they just add weight to the heli. The Align fan gears with those holes should keep things cooler for sure.

PS, the links in the pics I posted are just a set of new stock Walkera V450 linkages, the actual 4mm plastic links wont fit the larger Align 4.75mm Balls. Best to use the Align links they are made out of a harder plastic resin thats much stronger IMO than what Walkera uses. But you may be able to recycle the actual Walkera linkage rods..not sure.
ohhh, good idea with the thermal past, thankfully I work in IT and have tons of thermal paste around (I say this as I have the heli in front of me applying thermal paste right now) Artic Silver 5 ftw.
Name: IMG_20120612_105731.jpg
Views: 40
Size: 185.5 KB
Description:
Old Jun 12, 2012, 11:18 AM
Joined Oct 2009
2,221 Posts
Nice...careful with the AS-5 as its "supposed" to have actual silver particles in it and can conduct if it hits the leads on the fets. The jury is still out on that debate but I tend to go on the safe side with it.... Im sure you probably know that but it's worth repeating, dont want to let the smoke out of an 90.00 ESC....
Old Jun 12, 2012, 09:56 PM
Joined Mar 2012
1,392 Posts
Add one more V450D01 to the group.

My V450 showed up on schedule.
Did the Rubik's Cube configuration of RX cannon plugs and TX settings to get the control response correct.
Set it up with the instructions that Heliflyer711 posted...Thanks!
Took it outside and it flew great, very stable.
So add one more 450 to the group...so far, it's still stock.

Viking
A VIKING is offline Find More Posts by A VIKING
Old Jun 12, 2012, 10:30 PM
United States, OH, Reynoldsburg
Joined Jun 2012
8 Posts
I have recently purchased a new v450d01 and it is due to be delivered on Friday. I did a lot of reading on this thread prior to my purchase and that has been very useful. I am anxious for Friday and will provide more details once I have it. A bit about me, I am graduating from a fp heli to the 450. I know this may be a large jump however I am ready. Any advise would be awesome.
Phone man is offline Find More Posts by Phone man
Old Jun 12, 2012, 11:20 PM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phone man View Post
I have recently purchased a new v450d01 and it is due to be delivered on Friday. I did a lot of reading on this thread prior to my purchase and that has been very useful. I am anxious for Friday and will provide more details once I have it. A bit about me, I am graduating from a fp heli to the 450. I know this may be a large jump however I am ready. Any advise would be awesome.
I made the same hop - V200D01 to V450D01 - I crashed it twice, partly because I though I was being sensible and keeping the training gear on for longer than I needed. Once you can take off and land without tipping over, ditch the TG.

I use a yellow canopy to help with orientation and I also put some ultra bright leds (white on front, blue on rear) to help give a couple more clues on the orientation.

The other thing that really helped was a V120 size. It's way less intimidating, similarly responsive and excellent training for a V450 when coming from FP.

The 450 is a nice heli IMO even in stock form except for the WK-09-x servos and the stock ESC. The servos have a nasty tendency to burn out even on the bench, they also have some play compared with more expensive items (Savox/Align) and the ESC is a linear 3A BEC which is almost enough, a 4A switched BEC is better.

If you crash, you might need main shaft, main gear, AR bearing, swash plate, rear boom, blades, feathering shaft and landing gear depending on how bad it is.
I like the RCX blades from MyRCMart, they are much lighter and weaker than the original items and break before more damage is done to the rest of your heli. Well balanced out of the bag too.

Fly it in a big open space and keep it slow and reasonably close in (not too close though - those blades will take your arm off) at first.

Hope you have lots of fun and welcome to the V450 thread...

Did you buy a Devo 2012 version with 6 axis? or is it a Devo 2011 version by the way?
Old Jun 13, 2012, 05:46 AM
Joined Mar 2012
1,392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phone man View Post
That is a big jumpbut if you pay attention to detail you should do fine. Those details are in the flight control setup, I wasn't kidding about the Rubik's cube comment in my previous post, there are many possible combinations of servo plug possitions and switch positions and they are all wrong except for only one which you must find unless you win the lottery and the ship is already set up correctly but I wouldn't count on it. Make sure the mechanical controls are rigged properly and in my case they were, I didn't have to make any changes there, I was very surprised...but still check and check again.
Read the setup procedure that comes with the ship and what Heliflyer711 has posted in this forum setting the ship up for easy hover and you would be ready.
I personally didn't like the training gear when I started flying the 120 series models, they created a very bad harmonic vibration that was worse than not having them at all. That would be your call, they may work fine on the 450. So again, your first hover and all after should be with you looking at the detail, you already have the ship set up to fly correctly so it's up to you to use that to an advantage.
When going for hover pull collective very slowly and study the reaction of the skid tubes, don't be rushed, take your time, are they trying to lift evenly? Is one trying to leave the ground first? Is it trying to yaw or turn before lift off? Take your time and make all the control corrections to level the skids with collective pitch applied before making the final slow pull for hover, if it doesn't look right to you drop the collective and try again. Don't jerk it off the ground or you may end up with a lap full of 450
Everything you will see posted at this forum from me is always IMO. But it's based on a closet full of tee shirts I don't think you would want.

Viking
A VIKING is offline Find More Posts by A VIKING
Old Jun 13, 2012, 05:55 AM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,997 Posts
+1

Viking also reminds me that you might want to be sure that you don't have a whole lot of negative pitch in your set up at the beginning as well. Going from FP to CP one has the reaction to slam negative throttle pending a crash, for a CP with anywhere between 0 and -11 degrees of pitch the same reaction will make for a nice heli pancake and possible blade-boom contact.

Taking it slow and steady really is key.

And yes, training gear on 120s suck. On a 450, I found it was good for the very early first take off and landings (it saved me at least 2 blade strikes) but once you can do that and want to hover/fly a bit - get rid of them.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 06:22 AM
United States, OH, Reynoldsburg
Joined Jun 2012
8 Posts
Thanks for all the responses. I did not buy the devo version, I opted for the wk-2801pro version. I did look at the devo however the price was better on the the 2801 version and available in the U.S. I did get training gear for my 450, I never used it on my 120sr.
Phone man is offline Find More Posts by Phone man
Old Jun 13, 2012, 06:46 AM
Joined Oct 2009
2,221 Posts
Just finished Part 8 - If you guys want to check it out 95% done

(Part 8) Upgrading/Installing the ESC - CG - Motor - Pinion Mesh - Routing ESC wire

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=13
Old Jun 13, 2012, 08:36 AM
Joined Dec 2011
27 Posts
Quote:
Just finished Part 8 - If you guys want to check it out 95% done

(Part 8) Upgrading/Installing the ESC - CG - Motor - Pinion Mesh - Routing ESC wire

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=13
I think it's awesome that you are doing this for those in need or just want the extra tips that they may not have thought of. Seriously, you've put a ton of effort into these and it's even helped me a time or two. Thank you.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 10:36 AM
Joined Oct 2009
2,221 Posts
Quote:
I think it's awesome that you are doing this for those in need or just want the extra tips that they may not have thought of. Seriously, you've put a ton of effort into these and it's even helped me a time or two. Thank you.
No problem, glad you found some use from the info presented in the guide. It's like all this information thats been in my head and my experiences with the V450 and other heli's over the years is just getting spewed out in the blog. Just doing it as a way to give back what was freely given to me by guys who have been doing it much much longer than I have and some of the guys here that have had great ideas also with this heli.

You know I read so many threads/post in the micro/mini section of RCG and find people repeating the same solutions to the same problems over and over. Same as if you read this thread its just like history repeats itself every spring/summer. The V450 seems to attract mostly beginners and there's not many guys who post on this thread regularly, although thats starting to change now. I've been here since the thread began when this heli first came out, but I waited a little while to buy it. Thats a good idea for any new Walkera release.

Anyway, this heli had to be nailed down IMO for the guys just coming in. I have a love/hate relationship with the V450 and Walkera though, so the info is straight up. If its good, its good and if its bad, its bad. I dont have a dealer to please or a company to be careful that I dont upset. Im just a flyer like you guys who buys my stuff at the LHS or online at the asking price.

Thanks for the reply, and sub up theres more to come!
Last edited by HeliFlyer711; Jun 13, 2012 at 11:10 AM.