HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 09, 2012, 05:45 PM
They call me plan B
United States, GA, Covington
Joined Mar 2011
2,174 Posts
I have been talking to them about the main shaft and nope. So i will just order from wow again,
Heli Biggie is offline Find More Posts by Heli Biggie
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 09, 2012, 05:51 PM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,871 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordw0rm View Post
Tomorrow need more test and tuning but all problem are solved

Thanks to all for help !!
Congrats - good work!
thwaitm is offline Find More Posts by thwaitm
Old Jun 11, 2012, 08:32 AM
Joined Dec 2011
27 Posts
An update

So i finally sat down with a bunch of new parts and finished the overhaul of the V450. After the Align DFC head and needing different ball links, I decided just to grab the swash and link set and get away from the non-standard walkera ones. The only mod really needed to make it work was a file to widen the carbonfibre swash stabilizer on the rear.
Name: _DSC0139.jpg
Views: 65
Size: 61.9 KB
Description:
When i finally got her flying I noticed that the servos were about done, 2mm or so of play in 2 out of 3 so i purchased some Hitec HS-5065MGs to replace all the cyclics, and couldn't resist getting a phoenix ICE 50 (especially with all the doom and gloom i've read on the stock walkera ones, that and RPM hold is nice )
Name: _DSC0141.jpg
Views: 59
Size: 125.7 KB
Description:
Among all that I got her an upgraded reciever to go with the Devo 12S and a telemetry kit, No more timers!!!! woohoo! And to top it all off I picked up some of the Rail Blades.
Name: _DSC0145.jpg
Views: 62
Size: 144.0 KB
Description:
Now my entire fleet is up and running... for now!
Name: _DSC0170.jpg
Views: 65
Size: 145.3 KB
Description:
Just got done test flying her and it's a huge improvement over stock, I would recommend any and all of these upgrades / changes. The only thing i have to work out is that she wants to tip towards the tail ever so slightly and slowly, any ideas?
Demonofpyro is offline Find More Posts by Demonofpyro
Old Jun 11, 2012, 09:09 AM
Making Stock Fly Like Modified
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Oct 2009
2,221 Posts
Dam dude that is a hot setup, congrats on making it work! The only thing I can see fom the pics is that the antenna wire tip which is actually the "live" part of it...is right next to the ESC and is kind of achored to one of the ICE 50's plastic side mounting holes.

Usually in a build you want to keep the ESC and its output wire seperate from the servos/servo wireing, motor magnets, possible noisy bearings (EFI) and the RX/Antennas as much as possible. (although theres no getting away from having to plug the ESC's output cable into the RX unless using an opto ESC, at least theres a RF choke on it) There's a possibility of picking up/injecting RFI/EFI from the ESC's high speed switching circuit being that close to the antenna and also from having the antennas lead passing by the motor on the sideframe, even with the RF choke mounted.... thats really only protecting the ESC's RX lead Sig/+/- output lead. Just an observation from the pics......

Having the ICE mounted up front balances out the CG of the V450 out perfectly though, since it is tail heavy, and it seems like 80g up front is the magic number. Which means the battery can be mounted up higher closer to the main shaft.....closer to the heli's natural CG for more precise flips and rolls. The 5A BEC is more than enough to keep the electronics happy on a 450 SIze. What did you set the BEC voltage for? I have mine set @ 5.8V, and I think it comes stock set for 5V? Try to up the BEC voltage because the 3G/RX likes a steady regulated power supply to keep the servo's from glitching.... at least on the 2702V. YMMV on the DEVO/Hitec stuff...check specs first! The Stock WK 2610H tail servo will fry on 6V( I fried mine on 6V) and really anything above 5.2V BEC is pushing it for the WK tail servo.

Another thing is a tail servo thats on the fritz and connected to the RX's power bus can also affect the cyclic servos connected to that same buss with FBL, and cause the swash to move at wierd angles mid flight... just a possibility.

Latsly, Check your servo geometry, looks like the 2 front Aile & Pit servo arms are sitting back from the swash a bit but ELEV is good, this could be causing the backward tendancy as the geometry is off, maybe use the Align extended servo balls on Aile/Pit servo arms.... now that you have 4.75mm balls/links up front.

Really nice job on making it work though, I think as of now you have the highest modded V450 on the planet
HeliFlyer711 is offline Find More Posts by HeliFlyer711
Last edited by HeliFlyer711; Jun 11, 2012 at 12:42 PM. Reason: added more info.....
Old Jun 11, 2012, 09:48 AM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,871 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonofpyro View Post
So i finally sat down with a bunch of new parts and finished the overhaul of the V450.
That DFC head looks well smart on there... and for the price I will be tempted if I ever have to replace the head on mine. I think you made the right decision to change the swash etc too. It just keeps every thing neat and compatible.

What's the motor you have installed? I have a scorpion and another turnigy motor which were to replace the stock one, which is actually still quite alive despite having 90A go through it thanks to the super brain ESC, but that looks like something different again.

Also, what's the loops of wire around the back right leg? Looks like there's a bit of spare cable there
Old Jun 11, 2012, 10:06 AM
Joined Oct 2009
2,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thwaitm View Post
That DFC head looks well smart on there... and for the price I will be tempted if I ever have to replace the head on mine. I think you made the right decision to change the swash etc too. It just keeps every thing neat and compatible.

What's the motor you have installed? I have a scorpion and another turnigy motor which were to replace the stock one, which is actually still quite alive despite having 90A go through it thanks to the super brain ESC, but that looks like something different again.

Also, what's the loops of wire around the back right leg? Looks like there's a bit of spare cable there
I believe thats the telemetry unit on the bottom and the wires for it, wrapping them in a twisted coil is a good idea to keep any interference from coming in/out. You know like cat 5/6 twisted pair stuff..... At least it would be good for flying around fluorescent lights....
Old Jun 11, 2012, 11:52 AM
Joined Jun 2012
83 Posts
Is the tail boom v450d01 compatible with the t rex 450 one ?

Is it 347mm x 12 mm ?

Thanks
lordw0rm is offline Find More Posts by lordw0rm
Old Jun 11, 2012, 02:59 PM
Joined Dec 2011
27 Posts
The motor is the Turbo Ace 804 from wow hobbies set up.

The extended ball links may be the right idea, i'll have to order them and see.

As for the antenna, I did not think about that, hmmm, i'll look into moving it when i get home tomorrow.
The BEC is set to 5v right now as I was unaware of what the receiver/gyro can handle, and thanks for the info on the tail servo... i may have to replace that as well, what's a good one, that fits the V450?

Lol the extra cable is just spare from the temperature sensor for the telemetry unit that is monitoring the ESC, I really didn't feel like cutting and soldering to fit for it as it may only be temporary while I am making sure all is within spec for the first 10 or so flights.

And by all means anyone else with constructive points please do tell, I will do my best to address them, and it will help me learn more. Sadly I enjoy building / modifying these Helis just as much as I enjoy flying them.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 07:06 PM
They call me plan B
United States, GA, Covington
Joined Mar 2011
2,174 Posts
Heck ya, do you think you will have a minute to fly this weekend? No crashes..... I cant bring my hole fleet but ill bring one heli and the family lol?...
Quote:
So i finally sat down with a bunch of new parts and finished the overhaul of the V450. After the Align DFC head and needing different ball links, I decided just to grab the swash and link set and get away from the non-standard walkera ones. The only mod really needed to make it work was a file to widen the carbonfibre swash stabilizer on the rear.
Attachment 4929714
When i finally got her flying I noticed that the servos were about done, 2mm or so of play in 2 out of 3 so i purchased some Hitec HS-5065MGs to replace all the cyclics, and couldn't resist getting a phoenix ICE 50 (especially with all the doom and gloom i've read on the stock walkera ones, that and RPM hold is nice )
Attachment 4929723
Among all that I got her an upgraded reciever to go with the Devo 12S and a telemetry kit, No more timers!!!! woohoo! And to top it all off I picked up some of the Rail Blades.
Attachment 4929727
Now my entire fleet is up and running... for now!
Attachment 4929735
Just got done test flying her and it's a huge improvement over stock, I would recommend any and all of these upgrades / changes. The only thing i have to work out is that she wants to tip towards the tail ever so slightly and slowly, any ideas?
Heli Biggie is offline Find More Posts by Heli Biggie
Old Jun 11, 2012, 09:59 PM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,871 Posts
Quote:
Sadly I enjoy building / modifying these Helis just as much as I enjoy flying them.
I'm glad I enjoy the construction part as much as I do since I get to fly so little.
I just added lights and a barometer sensor to my FreeFlight quad - maybe I can fly that at night instead of just dreaming about flying the V450...

I did have a response from a nice Japanese guy who gave me some advice about where I might be able to fly. It's about 90 minutes from home but it sounds like RC is tolerated as long as it's 450 size or less. Maybe get some new views from the on-board!
Old Jun 12, 2012, 07:07 AM
Joined Dec 2011
27 Posts
Quote:
I'm glad I enjoy the construction part as much as I do since I get to fly so little.
I just added lights and a barometer sensor to my FreeFlight quad - maybe I can fly that at night instead of just dreaming about flying the V450...

I did have a response from a nice Japanese guy who gave me some advice about where I might be able to fly. It's about 90 minutes from home but it sounds like RC is tolerated as long as it's 450 size or less. Maybe get some new views from the on-board!
Hey, a place to fly is nice any way you can get it, I just wish I could find some places closer to the house. I'm curious as to why the barometer, but the lights are a good idea, i have them on the little ladybird and fly that one at night sometimes, it's quite fun.

@Helibiggie
Yeah I should have some time, same rules apply though, even more strict to be exact. i.e. early morning (7:40ish) or evening (4:00ish) as i have to work thurs - sun - 7pm - 7am. I make no promises on not crashing but i'll try
that and you'll finally get to see my other hobby...
Old Jun 12, 2012, 07:49 AM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,871 Posts
Quote:
Hey, a place to fly is nice any way you can get it, I just wish I could find some places closer to the house. I'm curious as to why the barometer, but the lights are a good idea, i have them on the little ladybird and fly that one at night sometimes, it's quite fun.
Err... because there is a space for it and it was $5 for the chip?
It really looks like it needs some sort of averaging/filter though in this config as the height graph does appear to hop up and down by a meter or more.

Nice 2nd hobby too - though isn't it a bit expensive when you dumb thumb it?
Old Jun 12, 2012, 08:04 AM
Joined Oct 2009
2,221 Posts
Hey DOP....heres a few closeup's of the front Aile & Pit 410m's with the extended Walkera swash ball links on the V450 stock swash. Short and sweet.... the idea is to get the servo arms/links as parallel as possible 90, both horizontal and vertical with the swash arms so as to get as close to a 90 linear setup on the head @ 1/2 stick. As if it wasnt enough that the servos take a typical 60 arc in movement for +/- pitch, having the arms too far to the side or the back just compounds interactions....hope the pics help. (And my setup isnt perfect by no means...yet )

BTW for the T-450-Pro swash......a Servo arm with a 13mm on center ball should get you the horizontal 90, depending on the hitec servo's output arm might need a 5-6mm extended ball for vertical.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 08:25 AM
Joined Oct 2009
2,221 Posts
Quote:

Wow an hour and 1/2 to get to a field...thats dedication. Maybe if you keep the hat in the car you wont attract the locals? I fly near the airport which is totally illegal but then again this is Philadelphia and the laws are for the lawless. Of all that gets done behind Philly international, flying RC helis is the least of thier concerns. When they see a flying RC Heli around here its so foreign to them they just drive away. Except that guy from homeland security one time, but even he was cool after I told him I post the vids on Utube. Really with 11,000 people per sq mile living in the city.... there's no where else for me to go except South Jersey or one of the Philly Burbs to fly a 450 size or above. I still manage to get it in though, maybe a good idea to use Google earth to scope out spots closeby and go early or late when theres no one around.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 08:28 AM
Joined Dec 2011
27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliFlyer711 View Post
Hey DOP....heres a few closeup's of the front Aile & Pit 410m's with the extended Walkera swash ball links on the V450 stock swash. Short and sweet.... the idea is to get the servo arms/links as parallel as possible 90, both horizontal and vertical with the swash arms so as to get as close to a 90 linear setup on the head @ 1/2 stick. As if it wasnt enough that the servos take a typical 60 arc in movement for +/- pitch, having the arms too far to the side or the back just compounds interactions....hope the pics help. (And my setup isnt perfect by no means...yet )

BTW for the T-450-Pro swash......a Servo arm with a 13mm on center ball should get you the horizontal 90, depending on the hitec servo's output arm might need a 5-6mm extended ball for vertical.
Awesome, thanks for the info, i'm about to go order some extended ball links and reconfigure a bit to get as close to 90 degrees as possible.

Here's an attempt I just made at getting a bit of air flow to the ESC as a safety measure. Tell me what you think.
Name: IMG_20120612_091608.jpg
Views: 43
Size: 143.8 KB
Description:
Name: _DSC0139_01.jpg
Views: 46
Size: 146.9 KB
Description: