HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 26, 2011, 01:28 AM
USA, IL, Elgin
Joined Jan 2006
638 Posts
Is anyone using aftermarket blades? Not sure I want to run the stock CF ones right away as I won't be doing any 3D. Are these 325mm blades? If so I see a ton on eBay but don't know which ones will fit in the stock v450 blade grips.
stretch1100 is online now Find More Posts by stretch1100
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2011, 07:22 AM
mSR,120SR,4G6S,UFLYS,1#A, v450d
Geneva, Switzerland
Joined Oct 2010
134 Posts
The only issue with mine besides gear mesh adjustment and blade balance is the bottom screw stripping of the elevator servo. It screws into one of the butteruminium struts connecting the two fuselage halfs and won't take many repeated tightenings. Mine were probably over-tightened during initial assembly. I'm always careful with Walkera fasteners as I usually rely on thread locker and rubber bands to hold my helis together.

If this thing flies decent outside (once I get some good weather) I'll probably get an RX and put it into a decent 500 heli of proper repute. Maybe a Logo? I hate to think of what the V500 will be like with this kind of material quality for it's parts.

I think it's high time someone starts a Walkera clone business with some proper CNC machined parts made out of quality metal.
kutyafal is offline Find More Posts by kutyafal
Old Jan 26, 2011, 02:18 PM
Days w/o Incident : Zero
Tucson, AZ
Joined Sep 2009
362 Posts
[QUOTE=kutyafal;17218556]The only issue with mine besides gear mesh adjustment and blade balance is the bottom screw stripping of the elevator servo. It screws into one of the butteruminium struts connecting the two fuselage halfs and won't take many repeated tightenings. Mine were probably over-tightened during initial assembly. I'm always careful with Walkera fasteners as I usually rely on thread locker and rubber bands to hold my helis together.

If this thing flies decent outside (once I get some good weather) I'll probably get an RX and put it into a decent 500 heli of proper repute. Maybe a Logo? I hate to think of what the V500 will be like with this kind of material quality for it's parts.

I think it's high time someone starts a Walkera clone business with some proper CNC machined parts made out of quality metal. [/QUOTE]

'flies decent outside'
Did you fly in indoors? If so I am really curious as to the dimensions of said room!!
Re the materials and the V500 - Agree completely and I really hope all integrity of materials are tested over and over for birds of this size...
sheesh!
desertflyer1 is offline Find More Posts by desertflyer1
Old Jan 27, 2011, 02:00 PM
Geneva, Switzerland
Joined Oct 2010
134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertflyer1 View Post
Did you fly in indoors? If so I am really curious as to the dimensions of said room!!
I've been just hovering it in my basement as it's been either raining or was windy and cold outside. The basement is around 6x5 meters with a 2 meter ceiling. I had to tame the bird down with very low swashmix values and like this it would be a dog to fly outside but it works fine downstairs. I can do tail-in and the two sides in here, with this I don't dare risking head-in. Not enough room to flip it...

I found that it pays to give Walkera helis a good shakedown period by just hovering close to the ground at 1/2 or 3/4 throttle and working the collective and cyclic over a bit. This exercises both the servos and the ESC.

My 1#A promptly discarded it's tail servo after a short time and it was a good thing this didn't happen outside high up and at full speed.

I tell you what, the V450D01 makes one helluva racket in that small concrete space! The 1#A sounds like a coax next to it. And that's why it's a great CP trainer for beginners.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 03:50 PM
Days w/o Incident : Zero
Tucson, AZ
Joined Sep 2009
362 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kutyafal View Post
I've been just hovering it in my basement as it's been either raining or was windy and cold outside. The basement is around 6x5 meters with a 2 meter ceiling. I had to tame the bird down with very low swashmix values and like this it would be a dog to fly outside but it works fine downstairs. I can do tail-in and the two sides in here, with this I don't dare risking head-in. Not enough room to flip it...

I found that it pays to give Walkera helis a good shakedown period by just hovering close to the ground at 1/2 or 3/4 throttle and working the collective and cyclic over a bit. This exercises both the servos and the ESC.

My 1#A promptly discarded it's tail servo after a short time and it was a good thing this didn't happen outside high up and at full speed.

I tell you what, the V450D01 makes one helluva racket in that small concrete space! The 1#A sounds like a coax next to it. And that's why it's a great CP trainer for beginners.

Oh man that's amazing! I bet it ROARS down there.. It's loud enough outdoors let alone in an enclosed space! Be great to see a vid of that.
I do feel for all that live in the extreme climates - so much snow in the east let alone every where else.
I'm lucky here in Arizona - it's 65 and sunny so I cannot complain (about the heat in summer or anything else).
Yes- I just got word that there is a tail belt flaw and that it needs to be looked at regularly for wear. Apparently, the gear has got grit on it, not machined smooth like with the TRex.
So wow or Walkera are supposedly working on a replacement.
To all I would say watch the beast carefully before during and after flying.
desertflyer1 is offline Find More Posts by desertflyer1
Old Jan 27, 2011, 11:10 PM
This is my Nemesis....
Canada, SK, Saskatoon
Joined Jan 2011
2,008 Posts
This thread has been a great resource for me, as I'm new to the Heli hobby.

Thanks All!
ViperZ is offline Find More Posts by ViperZ
Old Jan 28, 2011, 04:29 AM
Geneva, Switzerland
Joined Oct 2010
134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertflyer1 View Post
Yes- I just got word that there is a tail belt flaw and that it needs to be looked at regularly for wear. Apparently, the gear has got grit on it, not machined smooth like with the TRex.
So wow or Walkera are supposedly working on a replacement.
To all I would say watch the beast carefully before during and after flying.
Which gear would that be, front or tail? And how do you remove the belt (besides gradually grinding it off) ?
Old Jan 28, 2011, 12:04 PM
USA, IL, Elgin
Joined Jan 2006
638 Posts
I am thinking bnf V450....
Walkeraofamerica.com has it for 299 shipped where wow is 323 shipped to me. Wow boasts that if you don't buy it from them and get their 3 page directions you won't be able to figure out how to set it up. Has anyone bought from walkeraofamerica here?
stretch1100 is online now Find More Posts by stretch1100
Old Jan 28, 2011, 01:22 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2008
82 Posts
I bought mine from wow. The set everything up before they sent it and it flew perfect....that said I had some equipment failures (earlier in the thread) and wow replaced the parts...worth the extra 20 for me for sure!
nycheli is offline Find More Posts by nycheli
Old Jan 29, 2011, 03:24 PM
Geneva, Switzerland
Joined Oct 2010
134 Posts
First quick hover outside

I finally had a chance to take it outside for a quick spin and vid. Unfortunately, I was running out of daylight so I just did a few pitch pumps and tail wiggles to test tail hold. Seems good enough. The bird is very nice and smooth on cyclic, the collective is still a bit sensitive but I'll leave it like that for 3D. Running 40% swashmix for the cyclics. I seem to be getting 7-8 minutes of flight time hovering on Turnigy 2200mAh packs. Nice! Course in Normal mode I have a pretty tame throttle curve so that's probably why. I'll see if I can try some flips and such tomorrow. Don't have any spares yet.

Anyways, here is the video:
Walkera v450d01 first quick hover outside (1 min 4 sec)
Old Feb 01, 2011, 03:11 AM
Geneva, Switzerland
Joined Oct 2010
134 Posts
A quick question. Any way to tame collective other than reducing travel? On the 2801pro I can't seem to find the pitch curve expo (6th circle on setup screen) that is mentioned in the manual on p. 32 diagram 1. I know the DX7 has expo on the curves and thought the 2801pro was pretty much a crude copy of that radio.

Actually, now that I've looked at it more the 2801 non-pro manual specifically lists an "Exponential-type Throttle Curve Function" in item 8.9.2, that being the sixth circle on the curve screen. The same six circles are visible for pitch curve also. None of these seem to be there for the 2801pro. !?!?

So the only thing left to adjust is collective travel? No other way to add expo to the collective?
Old Feb 01, 2011, 04:21 AM
Joined Jan 2011
5 Posts
Press the {ENT} button.
Use {+.R} or {L.-} buttons then press {ENT} to select MDSET
Use {+.R} or {L.-} buttons then press {ENT} again to either select the CURVES option to adjust the Pitch and throttle curves or the DR&EXP button to adjust dual rates and expo.
Thats how it works on mine anyway. hope that answers your question.
jesusfrijmagnet is offline Find More Posts by jesusfrijmagnet
Old Feb 01, 2011, 04:25 AM
Geneva, Switzerland
Joined Oct 2010
134 Posts
Thanks, yes I knew all that. What I was looking for is some sort of expo for the collective pitch (either curve or function). I guess the radio manual is in fact wrong.
Old Feb 01, 2011, 04:35 AM
Joined Jan 2011
5 Posts
I guess I don't understand your question, sorry about that. I tamed my collective by reducing the max point on my pitch curve to about 80% and for very little negative pitch below centre stick in Normal mode. Although it is probably the wrong way to do it, It worked a treat for me to tame the collective although it has been adjusted since. Hopefully someone more knowledgable will pipe in. Good luck.
jesusfrijmagnet is offline Find More Posts by jesusfrijmagnet
Old Feb 01, 2011, 09:33 AM
Geneva, Switzerland
Joined Oct 2010
134 Posts
Thanks. I guess I didn't specify that I'm looking to tame it around center stick only.

Another question: what's the best way to detect/measure CCPM interactions on a flybarless heli? Finless Bob in his videos recommends a level bubble attached to the flybar paddle. I can't find anything like that on my v450... So how then?