HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 30, 2012, 05:53 PM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
6,579 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliFlyer711 View Post
Hey IHW,,,, you know whats funny, it looks like you already have a spare swashplate for the V450?. I see one swashplate on the on the heli and one in a bag on the table with other V450 Spare parts from the pictures you took and posted in this thread when you got your used V450 off of EBAY. So I have no idea what your intent is, other than like you said your having a bad day to post here about this.

Because by my math you already have 2 spare Swash Arms you could use to extend the servo arms for the DS410M/Savox upgrade.

And I dont understand your logic at all when you say "ruin a swashplate" because your not ruining anything just borrowing 2 arms off of an old or spare swashplate. They screw off and on and are interchangeable, its just that simple.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1630
Your correct. I also have every other part on the heli in my parts box, some in 2's and 3's. Except for maybe some frame pieces and internal bearing brackets. So suppose i use these parts off my swash for the servos, then i break my swash somehow. Since no matter what other parts break (besides the servos, of course) i already have spares. Since i used the balls on my spare swash. I'd be forced to order a new one by itself or switch back to my stock servos and use the balls on the spare swash, even if nothing is wrong with the upgraded servos. So basically it's thinking ahead. I know, weird right?

On top of this likely, and very possible eventuality. I would also assume many people out there would like to upgrade to better servos and have proper mechanics with proper geometry but are not so lucky to already have a swash. That being the case they probably would rather spend $5 instead of $16 when they place their order for new servos too. I'm sure somewhere out there is a 450 sized ball system that will work and can be purchased as individual parts, unlike Walkera's 450 parts for the rotor head assembly that if they were available individually we would not even be talking about it.

I suppose no matter what you have to pay. It's just nice to find a better way then to just muddle through everything and pay when you don't need to.
IntegrityHndywrk is offline Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; May 30, 2012 at 06:05 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 30, 2012, 07:26 PM
Making Stock Fly Like Modified
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Oct 2009
2,220 Posts
Until you find these 5.00 balls you speak of, buy the Savox/Ds410M's, fit them on the V450D01 by Walkera, install them and post it up here in this thread so others
can duplicate it........ Your argument is invalid and will be written off as IHW is sorry and "having a bad day".

Other than that if you should find something, though I doubt you will, I would be happy to add it to my build log and upcoming videos. I would even give you credit for the find since Im sure there are hundreds if not even thousands of people wating to hear what we have to say here, and Im sure you could use the attention....... LOL

If you watched the vid and read my post, I tell people this isnt the only way to do it and you can do it anyway you want. But this worked for me, seems to have worked for biggie and would probalby work for any other normal person that wanted to do it. Hope you have a better day tommorow dude. Probably best to stop reading my post if they piss you off so much.
HeliFlyer711 is offline Find More Posts by HeliFlyer711
Old May 30, 2012, 07:49 PM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,717 Posts
Yep - I'm not sure I get it either.

You take the balls of swash 2, fit it to the servo arms, fly, crash, ruin swash 1, take the balls out, put them into swash 2 and fly again. (Unless you're unlucky and lose the balls in the crash and my 450 hit the deck hard, twice in fact, and the swash separated but didn't lose it's balls).

And you've just crashed to ruin swash 1 so I guess you're going to be ordering a new boom and main shaft etc anyway.

I agree that finding something that works just as well for a third of the cost is nice but taking the balls out of another swash is free, no?
thwaitm is offline Find More Posts by thwaitm
Old May 30, 2012, 08:04 PM
Joined Oct 2009
2,220 Posts
Its was free for me, free for biggie, would be free for IHW and free for you, but I think he just got the other balls twisted today is all. LOL
Last edited by HeliFlyer711; May 30, 2012 at 08:14 PM.
Old May 30, 2012, 08:55 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,579 Posts
So i suppose no one else has stripped a brand new swash in their life just by removing a ball link? NO BODY ELSE?!?!? has reservations about removing a ball link from a brand new swash because walkera may have stripped it going in? I've done it and i've heard other people say they have as well. In fact if i remember correctly even HF711 said that he has done it on the 450 swash before. So forgive me for thinking ahead and trying to avoid a very frustrating situation regardless of any other blade strike or crash that could just break one of the 3 ball links off. I've already snapped one off a blade grip, so i'm pretty sure the ones on the swash are made out of the same thing.

So sorry for trying trying to start a conversation about a way that might save people money and aggravation. But what I'm really sorry for is that your so smug that instead of trying to encourage or maybe HELP find a alternative you'd rather just demean me and comment about how cheap the swash actually is and try and make this about me wanting attention.

Sorry i won't make any other suggestions about your godly advise and modifications anymore. I now know you always know best.
Old May 30, 2012, 09:10 PM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,717 Posts
If Walkera stripped it inserting it I think I prefer to find out on the bench rather than in the air. As for me stripping it putting it in, that's what helicoils are for!

Next question is, what about using an Align swash, links etc as a set? Does the geometry work out better then?
Old May 30, 2012, 09:33 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,579 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thwaitm View Post
If Walkera stripped it inserting it I think I prefer to find out on the bench rather than in the air. As for me stripping it putting it in, that's what helicoils are for!

Next question is, what about using an Align swash, links etc as a set? Does the geometry work out better then?
LOOK OUT! Asking questions like that is what started all of this!
Old May 30, 2012, 09:37 PM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,717 Posts
Oops! I must have missed that.

My brain has been full of why my customer isn't keeping ontop of their database and IT system maintenance so please forgive me for their stupidity rubbing off on me!
Old May 30, 2012, 09:39 PM
They call me plan B
United States, GA, Covington
Joined Mar 2011
2,099 Posts
Yes it was free for me , but i stripped my own swash ball tightening up everything, i was very lucky to have the 2 balls i needed ,lol. I think align makes replacement extened swash balls. They may fit or not, im not sure.

http://heli-heli.com/items/heli-part...450-detail.htm
I srill have not test flown, but i am on vacation, and its to windy at home anyway.

Quote:

Heli Biggie is offline Find More Posts by Heli Biggie
Old May 30, 2012, 09:57 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,579 Posts
Quote:
Oops! I must have missed that.

My brain has been full of why my customer isn't keeping ontop of their database and IT system maintenance so please forgive me for their stupidity rubbing off on me!

At least you have customers to worry about. This rain is keeping me from working and from working on side projects or even flying. Plus now my bathroom wall had to get ripped out today on the second floor because of a leak that wasn't even from the rain. Lousy no good contractors.

Anyway, I found these linkage balls available on their own and probably in stock at some LHS. Apparently for no good reason other than my own as I've been told. Just "to get attention".

Since when suggesting the last link all i got in response was basically being told that they are too long and are too big to screw into the "swash up front". Even though the purpose was to put them into the plastic servo arm as a means to keep the stock ones in the swash and not have to disassemble the swash in the first place. I have to assume the point was that they are too long for proper geometry even if they did fit? So i found the following from Eflite that will probably work.

I have no idea if they will work for sure or what their measurements are. But I wouldn't doubt if they can fit a servo arm screw hole being that you have to apparently glue the WK swash linkage into the Align/Savox servo arm to make it fit anyway according to HF711. Next time I'm near my LHS maybe i'll see if they have some and compare, you know, at the risk of being called a show off or something. Looks about the same in the picture anyway.

http://helidirect.com/eflite-control...00-p-25019.hdx
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; May 31, 2012 at 12:11 AM.
Old May 31, 2012, 08:18 AM
Joined Mar 2011
462 Posts
I hope everyone is in a good mood today. 😃
Apphoard is offline Find More Posts by Apphoard
Old May 31, 2012, 10:59 AM
Joined Oct 2009
2,220 Posts
Ball Links 101

Quote:

@ thwaitm - You know .... I didnt even know they had the helicoils in that size...Im really not familiar with them, but i'll have to check that out. The V450 swash is pretty soft aluminium alloy probably just a basic 6061 strength. When I first got the V450 last year I stripped a short ball on the inner swash bearing checking it for loctite. Now I know if i need to remove a ball on the swash... to use some heat from a soldering iron to burn away the loctite first instead of forcing it..

But from also owning both the Blade 400/450 and a Belt CPv2 and knowing that Eflite uses 4.75 mm balls similar to Align which is the industry standard size ball for a 450, I couldnt use the balls from the Blade to repair the V450 swash.
Luckily though the Esky Belt CPv2 also uses a non-standard 4mm ball that is compatible with the V450, though a different design with an actual screw that goes through the balls head. I was able to fix the stripped inner swash ball by rethreading a new hole and using blue loctite to lock it in.

Now, since I've done the DS410M servo arm Mod I have extra short 4mm balls from the old servo arms and used them instead as it makes a better repair.

On another subject;
Here is an initial review that I posted on HeliFreak comparing the Walkera V450 to the Align Trex 450 Pro, both of which I also currently have now..
http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=311118

Anyone that makes a comparison between the Align 450 Pro and the V450 as being similar in quality (minus the electronics), like some hard headed person has posted here recently that doesnt even own an Align heli...... Let alone telling NAV to connect 2 BEC's from 2 different ESC's with 2 seperate ground potentials to the same RX power Bus...... which defies all basic electronics theory 101 and is a great recipe to let the smoke out of the RX....Id would be careful about listening too or taking advice from. I knew from Nav's reply that he figured it out this was BS. This is the correct way to do it using one ESC with 1 Lipo; http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=256172

@Integrityhandjwork , even though after I posted about it in detail, took pictures of it and made a video explaining it..... you still do not understand the DS410M servo arm mod needs a non-standard 4mm ball to work with the plastic non-standard Walkera 4mm Ball links on the V450. And the only place to get them is from the V450 swash extended arms, as they are a perfect stock fit that keeps the original design intact for a cyclic servo upgrade.
But Im sure you will keep trying to figure it out....LOL

For the guys who are interested, check my blog for updates to the V450 build log, going to be doing the Gyro/RX install and going over different servo tapes and mounting techniques for the RX-2702V next.......I got a few tips on how to get some extra vibration dampening on the RX mount.
Old May 31, 2012, 11:39 AM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,717 Posts
Not sure exactly of the thread sizes on those links but I have some 2mm x 0.4mm V-Coil inserts. I'll post a pic later but my net connection is playing up (trying to setup DMZ on a Japanese interfaced router )

Here's the pic:
Last edited by thwaitm; May 31, 2012 at 01:25 PM.
Old May 31, 2012, 12:22 PM
Joined Oct 2009
2,220 Posts
For the V450 inner swash short balls the thread is 1.4mm (4mm ball), but for the extended swash balls its a 2mm thread ( also 4mm ball size).
There was a guy here in the last week or so installing an Align DFC FBL head on the V450, he ran into the same problem in making the Align head/balls work with the V450 Swash and ordered a set of Align Ball links, but the Align ball links have a 2mm thread and wont fit the 1.4mm inner swash threads on the V450. And I had mentioned that to him.... Wonder how he made out with it since we havent heard back from him.

This stuff isnt as easy as it looks, or something that you just slap together... it takes a lot of time and effort to understand and logically put together. Especially when trying to match parts from one manufacturer to another.
BTW thanks for the Friend req thwaitm....accepted!
Old May 31, 2012, 09:07 PM
They call me plan B
United States, GA, Covington
Joined Mar 2011
2,099 Posts
So, i cant find the green that everyone is talking about, but how about these??
http://heli-heli.com/items/heli-part...450-detail.htm
These should fit my v400 and v450
Heli Biggie is offline Find More Posts by Heli Biggie