HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 29, 2012, 06:20 PM
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,339 Posts
There is an alternative method with Walkera RX to enter program mode. I've used it recently on my quad (Rx801) and that is to bind once with throttle at zero, disconnect the ESC to be programmed, put Throttle to MAX, reconnect ESC and it skips the protection in the RX and enters program mode.
Not sure if it works with RX2702 or 26xx series but it should be quick to check!

FWIW, plugging 2 BECs/ESCs in together is not a good idea for a long time as the regulators tend to fight but for a minute or so it shouldn't be an issue. Just check that neither is overheating.
thwaitm is online now Find More Posts by thwaitm
to remove ads between posts
Old May 29, 2012, 07:35 PM
Joined Mar 2011
462 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliFlyer711 View Post
Latest Installment to the build log, it sure is slowing down the process but I hope it helps someone;

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...9#post21665914
Heliflyer711 in your first post the last link did not work for me so might want to check it out. "in Depth frame review" I think it was.

Maybe its my phone I have to try my pc.
Apphoard is offline Find More Posts by Apphoard
Old May 29, 2012, 08:08 PM
Making Stock Fly Like Modified
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Oct 2009
2,219 Posts
It because its in German and translated with Google, it should work on your PC though no probs.
HeliFlyer711 is offline Find More Posts by HeliFlyer711
Old May 29, 2012, 08:10 PM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
5,917 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thwaitm View Post
There is an alternative method with Walkera RX to enter program mode. I've used it recently on my quad (Rx801) and that is to bind once with throttle at zero, disconnect the ESC to be programmed, put Throttle to MAX, reconnect ESC and it skips the protection in the RX and enters program mode.
Not sure if it works with RX2702 or 26xx series but it should be quick to check!

FWIW, plugging 2 BECs/ESCs in together is not a good idea for a long time as the regulators tend to fight but for a minute or so it shouldn't be an issue. Just check that neither is overheating.
That actually sounds like it should work also, but i think i tried it with the 2618V and it still did not work because of the pitch change as the RX initializes or something. At least of this cheap model hobbywing, i couldn't seem to get that method to work. Maybe i should revisit it and try again knowing what i know now.

The 2702 i believe all that is needed is to use the throttle #2 port on the RX. It does not have the safety measures or something like that. I have not needed to do this yet on my 2702 because my stock ESC with the wires rerouted so they don't short and a custom heat sink is still working out well. Just no governor mode. I'm not worried about it yet because i'm still getting used to the weight and flight characteristics of the v450. So till i order new servos and all the rest, i'll keep this ESC. I like to do things all at once now. But i would refer to heliflyer711's Castle ICE 50 ESC installation report for more info on this.
IntegrityHndywrk is offline Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Old May 29, 2012, 09:19 PM
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
The 2702 i believe all that is needed is to use the throttle #2 port on the RX. It does not have the safety measures or something like that.
Correct - THRO2 bypasses any security for throttle up binding. I have used it - works great. I fly with it in THRO1 though - just in case I have a brain fade.
Old May 29, 2012, 11:41 PM
Joined Oct 2009
2,219 Posts
How to do the DS410M servo arm mod on the V450........for those that dont like to read Haha that means you biggah.
Easier than taking pics and typing it out, hope it helps.

Walkera V450D01 DS410M Servo Upgrade Install Tips for the V450 Frame (7 min 15 sec)
Old May 30, 2012, 05:13 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
5,917 Posts
Can you tell me if the align one-way is any different or better than the stock v450 one? I have not crashed and i replaced the bearing 3 times in the last week. It seems the damn thing does not want to stop locking up. Is it possible my motor has to much torque or something? The first one-way i replaced i think had crash damage. But the new one would not spin free very easily like the original used to. I used to spool down and the main gear would break free. Now in spool down with the last 3 one-way bearings the main gear and motor spin down with the rotor and it won't break free. I would imagine if i did a TH at full head speed it would break free but it seems to be grabbing to tightly. I put a drop of tri-flow in the bearing as i'm pretty sure someone here recommended it. Maybe this is the cause? Or perhaps i need to keep lubing it to prevent this? I'm just now running out of my stock v450 parts so i'll be ordering align main gear parts now. I just hope the one-way works better than this POS. Otherwise i must be doing something wrong.
Old May 30, 2012, 05:32 AM
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,339 Posts
I have an Align oneway on it's way. I'll check it over the weekend. As for the stock part, even with the stock motor it's a bit useless. I found mine jammed almost all the time, lubed or no lube. The race (the holder for the rollers) also disintegrates pretty easily I think. Not sure how much success I'd have with an AR landing on this belt drive heli anyway. It seems pretty hard for me to turn the main by hand - nothing like the smooth free feel of the TT V200D03 or V120D02.
Old May 30, 2012, 05:57 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
5,917 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thwaitm View Post
I have an Align oneway on it's way. I'll check it over the weekend. As for the stock part, even with the stock motor it's a bit useless. I found mine jammed almost all the time, lubed or no lube. The race (the holder for the rollers) also disintegrates pretty easily I think. Not sure how much success I'd have with an AR landing on this belt drive heli anyway. It seems pretty hard for me to turn the main by hand - nothing like the smooth free feel of the TT V200D03 or V120D02.
When i was having issues when i first got the helicopter the stock tail servo was running hot. It got too hot in one instance and the RX powered down the motor. I literally had to learn how to AR land the 450 the hard way! I was only about 30 feet or so (almost as high as power lines, higher than telephone/tv lines) I actually managed an AR landing quite successfully. But when i first got the heli the previous owner had the TH settings wrong and the wow hobbies manual was a bit misleading to this. So i resisted ever using the TH switch because once turned on, then off the heli would spool up. Sooo after my surprisingly successful AR landing i neglected to use the TH or move the throttle down. I guess i was thinking it wasn't going to spool back up on it's own after that, but it did and wrecked the one-way, shaft sleeve, gear, etc. After this i have not been able to get the bearing to NOT lock up. Like i said i had 3 in reserve and have used all 3 nearly back to back. I'm using Tri-Flow "Superior Dry" PTFE lube. It almost seems like maybe using it caused the problem since i didn't use anything at all on the original bearing.
Old May 30, 2012, 06:22 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
5,917 Posts
Quote:
How to do the DS410M servo arm mod on the V450........for those that dont like to read Haha that means you biggah.
Easier than taking pics and typing it out, hope it helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqBeGsYcb4A
Hey if you don't have an old swash to take the ball links off of couldn't you just order some of these? :

http://helidirect.com/align-linkage-...ro-p-17765.hdx
Old May 30, 2012, 08:28 AM
Joined Oct 2009
2,219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
Hey if you don't have an old swash to take the ball links off of couldn't you just order some of these? :

http://helidirect.com/align-linkage-...ro-p-17765.hdx
The Align arms are 4.75mm, they are bigger than the ones Walkera uses on the V450's cyclic servos and swash. Walkera does use 4.75mm on the tail servo arm and rudder control arm. These bigger arms wont screw into the v450 swash up front though.

I think both the Align and the WK OWB are good, I never had a problem with either one, the trick is to keep them clean and keep them lubed. These main shafts have a nickel plating on them and what happens is as it wears off it makes this grey slush that mixes with oil (along with belt fragments) and kills bearings. I didnt even realize it but my main bearings were totally siezed up on my V450 and that was causing alot of friction in the drive. If you just use a light oil it will sheer off, so I use an triflow synthetic bearing grease which is thicker. It doesnt break down or sheer off with heat. Im running the same OWB since may of last year on this bird no probs.
Old May 30, 2012, 12:52 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
5,917 Posts
Quote:
The Align arms are 4.75mm, they are bigger than the ones Walkera uses on the V450's cyclic servos and swash. Walkera does use 4.75mm on the tail servo arm and rudder control arm. These bigger arms wont screw into the v450 swash up front though.

I think both the Align and the WK OWB are good, I never had a problem with either one, the trick is to keep them clean and keep them lubed. These main shafts have a nickel plating on them and what happens is as it wears off it makes this grey slush that mixes with oil (along with belt fragments) and kills bearings. I didnt even realize it but my main bearings were totally siezed up on my V450 and that was causing alot of friction in the drive. If you just use a light oil it will sheer off, so I use an triflow synthetic bearing grease which is thicker. It doesnt break down or sheer off with heat. Im running the same OWB since may of last year on this bird no probs.
As far as the ball links, i ment mainly for the servo mod to get the geometry back to stock. When i get my new servos i'd really hate to take the balls out of a perfectly good spare $30 swash. So i was looking for alternatives for the links.

Maybe it's because i'm using a dry PTFE lube instead of grease? The thing functions fine. It flys, you know. But the OWB is always stuck after spool down. It's not stuck hard, i can usually break it free by hand. During spool down you can hear the motor turning and extra friction of the process. I'm pretty sure the OWB used to break free every time when i first got the heli before using lube on the bearing. I think putting the Teflon based tri-flow in the OWB may be the cause of the issue. Oh well, it's flying. I suppose there is nothing i can do now.

Also do you guys press your own OWB? I am going to start doing this because it's cheaper most of the time. Some people like to sell their Walkera OWB for upwards of $16 each. Though heli direct usually has a good price on these. However when they are not available it seems the $6 Align OWB is the much better deal if you have the tools to press them.
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; May 30, 2012 at 01:03 PM.
Old May 30, 2012, 01:26 PM
Joined Oct 2009
2,219 Posts
Swashplate is 16.00......
Old May 30, 2012, 02:32 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
5,917 Posts
Quote:
Swashplate is 16.00......
Yeah, OR they are actually $17 plus $7 for shipping and since i vote with my dollars and boycott USPS its $10 for UPS shipping so its $27. But i suppose I'm the ass for including shipping and rounding up.

If you already own all the other parts and use the balls off a good swash just for this mod, but in the future need a swash, are you going to consider the shipping when it's the only part you need? Hell you might order other stuff, but the fact is not having the perfectly intact swash anymore is going to end up costing at least $25 bucks. I guess you can rationalize all day that i'm probably going to make an order at some point anyway but thats just not how things always work out when you have to budget what you buy for 5 helicopters. So i'd rather just pick up something locally for $5 when i'm near a LHS that might have this stuff. Even $15 is just stupid to pay for 2 little crappy screws.

You know what, i'm having a crappy day and all this rain everyday isn't making my attitude any better so i'm sorry. But i'm i'm sure i'm not the only one looking for a better alternative to not have to pay extra cash and ruin a swash plate if you don't already have a broken one laying around.
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; May 30, 2012 at 04:49 PM.
Old May 30, 2012, 05:15 PM
Joined Oct 2009
2,219 Posts
Hey IHW,,,, you know whats funny, it looks like you already have a spare swashplate for the V450?. I see one swashplate on the on the heli and one in a bag on the table with other V450 Spare parts from the pictures you took and posted in this thread when you got your used V450 off of EBAY. So I have no idea what your intent is, other than like you said your having a bad day to post here about this.

Because by my math you already have 2 spare Swash Arms you could use to extend the servo arms for the DS410M/Savox upgrade.

And I dont understand your logic at all when you say "ruin a swashplate" because your not ruining anything just borrowing 2 arms off of an old or spare swashplate. They screw off and on and are interchangeable, its just that simple.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1630
Last edited by HeliFlyer711; May 30, 2012 at 05:29 PM.