HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 27, 2012, 05:48 PM
Making Stock Fly Like Modified
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Oct 2009
2,221 Posts
What you guys think about this as an alternative electronics setup for the V?

Motor an ESC up top, battery down below where motor used to be and RX down off the boom on the bottom plate. Servo locations stay the same... Canopy fits no problem. The only thing that I can see with this setup is it changes the CG of the heli by putting the heavyist part, the battery, lower on the frame. And the motor/esc are exposed more in a crash. So probably will go with stock placement.

Looks like when Walkera made this frame they made it for a few different setups, possibly even models and it could go Flybar or Flybarless.
HeliFlyer711 is offline Find More Posts by HeliFlyer711
to remove ads between posts
Old May 27, 2012, 08:31 PM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
6,970 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliFlyer711 View Post
What you guys think about this as an alternative electronics setup for the V?

Motor an ESC up top, battery down below where motor used to be and RX down off the boom on the bottom plate. Servo locations stay the same... Canopy fits no problem. The only thing that I can see with this setup is it changes the CG of the heli by putting the heavyist part, the battery, lower on the frame. And the motor/esc are exposed more in a crash. So probably will go with stock placement.

Looks like when Walkera made this frame they made it for a few different setups, possibly even models and it could go Flybar or Flybarless.

I'd have to agree. It will probably work but not worth loosing your battery, motor and ESC all in one good nose dive.
IntegrityHndywrk is offline Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Old May 27, 2012, 09:33 PM
They call me plan B
United States, GA, Covington
Joined Mar 2011
2,183 Posts
Extended servo horn balls , i had to reverse my tail servo. Did you heliflyer? Anything else i will have to do heliflyer, i had major wobble on my 1spool up. Then i rebuilt my swash stabilizer, i will check my fs tomorrow. I didnt get any wobble with no blades.
How are the dip switchs on the rx supose to be for normal flight? Not setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
I'd have to agree. It will probably work but not worth loosing your battery, motor and ESC all in one good nose dive.
Heli Biggie is offline Find More Posts by Heli Biggie
Old May 27, 2012, 09:39 PM
Joined Oct 2009
2,221 Posts
I've always like the motor exposed up top for visual effect on the higher end helis though, like with the Rave 450 or even the Compass7HV. I think it has to do more with looks though when the motor is mounted that way .....just not really sure why that is. Could be torque related maybe even space limitations on the heli design........ but i'm not fond of guessing with this stuff so now I'll have to find out why some helis are engineered this way.
Old May 27, 2012, 09:43 PM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,871 Posts
IH, not sure if you saw this one:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=973
(another great site I've since been told not to fly at... , though he did say @5~6 am it should be ok.)

Dumb thumbed into the deck... but apart from the main blades, main shaft, main gear, boom (possibly the FS was damaged here too but it still flew and was pretty stable) and a bend in the skids it was ok. Repaired within 3 hours after this.
With more altitude I might have managed a first roll with training gear...!

Just make sure when you go to flip her for the first time she has enough travel/throw on ELEV and Swashmix so you don't put it tail in like the 4F200.

My point being that, you shouldn't have any trouble getting this 450 inverted.
thwaitm is offline Find More Posts by thwaitm
Last edited by thwaitm; May 27, 2012 at 09:49 PM.
Old May 27, 2012, 09:46 PM
Joined Oct 2009
2,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Biggie View Post
Extended servo horn balls , i had to reverse my tail servo. Did you heliflyer? Anything else i will have to do heliflyer, i had major wobble on my 1spool up. Then i rebuilt my swash stabilizer, i will check my fs tomorrow. I didnt get any wobble with no blades.
How are the dip switchs on the rx supose to be for normal flight? Not setup.
Fot the DS520 Reverse RUDD R. switch on the RX 2702 an reverse rudd ch on radio, otherwise mount the servo on the other side of the boom and keep your switches set where they are.
Old May 27, 2012, 09:47 PM
Joined Oct 2009
2,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thwaitm View Post

(another great site I've since been told not to fly at... , though he did say @5~6 am it should be ok.)

Dumb thumbed into the deck... but apart from the main blades, main shaft, main gear, boom (possibly the FS was damaged here too but it still flew and was pretty stable) and a bend in the skids it was ok. Repaired within 3 hours after this.

Just make sure when you go to flip her for the first time she has enough travel/throw on ELEV and Swashmix so you don't put it tail in like the 4F200.
Thats no walk of shame, thats a crash a man can be proud of! Classic dirt dive and you took it fearlessly.......
Old May 27, 2012, 09:55 PM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,871 Posts
Quote:
Thats no walk of shame, thats a crash a man can be proud of! Classic dirt dive and you took it fearlessly.......
I'm just sooo happy that it was all caught on camera - it it had been another few feet further forward it would have just gone out of shot. It's a great THHWUUP! as it goes in too...

I honestly think it was partly the training gear playing tricks on me too. If I were to go again, I'd have taken the training gear off much earlier and not been such a sissy with it!

I now just wish I could fly it as much as IH... he's flown his more in 8 weeks than I have in ~1.5years... damn! I need to move out off Tokyo!
Old May 28, 2012, 03:29 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,970 Posts
Quote:
I'm just sooo happy that it was all caught on camera - it it had been another few feet further forward it would have just gone out of shot. It's a great THHWUUP! as it goes in too...

I honestly think it was partly the training gear playing tricks on me too. If I were to go again, I'd have taken the training gear off much earlier and not been such a sissy with it!

I now just wish I could fly it as much as IH... he's flown his more in 8 weeks than I have in ~1.5years... damn! I need to move out off Tokyo!
DOH. Man that sucks. I just crashed my 4f200 flying it in today's tropical storm force winds and doing 3d maneuvers. Don't know if that makes you feel any better. But I need new servos, blades, Main gear, shaft and landing gear. All together, if i cant salvage my current blades the damage bill is almost $100 with shipping. Pretty high for such a small bird. The blades are ridiculously priced at $30-40 a set, and there are not many alternatives that fit properly. Oh well. As for you. I would get the white Pro 3d CF blades. The FG ones are cheaper still at around $7 a pair but i would stick with the CF.

What I did to find flying areas was get on google earth and start searching around your area. I know you have to work within your travel restrictions in Japan. But perhaps you can find a place just off the tram or something like that. You can pack up your stuff and try and make a day of it. Maybe even build yourself some kind of mobile charging backpack. I built one using lead acid batteries and a AC inverter.

As for how much i get to fly, I am fortunate to live in an area with lots of open land and even a AMA registered airport that is 0.5 miles away from home in a straight line, "as the bird flys" as the saying goes. Besides that there is a public park 3 miles away with almost 3 football/soccer fields + baseball & parking areas. Its a big park and not a lot of people use it often. So when the kids are having games or practice there I go right across the street to the strip mall with a Publix grocery store and fly in the big ass field they have out in front of their parking lot and apartments next to them. If that wasn't enough there is 3 more area's less that 8 miles away inside of the new "City Center" that they cleared the land but no one built on after the economy problems. Right across the street from that is a small airport for private aircraft that also has a few "out of the way" places to fly as long as you stay very low. Believe it or not the list goes on and on from here, and most of these places are less than 10 miles away from home. The only problem is since i live right on the east coast it is always windy (at least lately) My house is in the woods and my driveway too! So it blocks a lot of the wind but is a narrow space to fly. When i don't feel like going out I actually fire up my 450 right in my drive way now too. I just make sure I'm wearing at least some sun glasses and no one else is around. Though i should probably stop doing that.

Quote:

Yeah, i actually went though all the setup properly on the 450 because i always expected the day would come to invert it. Unlike the 4f200 which i really thought i would never do 3d on and didn't think it was going to perform nearly as well as it can. If anyone dumb thumbed it into the ground it was me for not doing the setup all the way proper.
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; May 28, 2012 at 03:44 AM.
Old May 28, 2012, 04:41 AM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,871 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
What I did to find flying areas was get on google earth and start searching around your area.
Yep - I did the same. The major difference I see is that in Japan there are a million retired old dudes who's job it is to patrol the areas. Unfortunately, they take real pride in their job (unlike us westerners).
There are a million baseball fields around but they are almost all fenced off or timed to the minute in usage from 08:00~18:00.

Back home in the UK, there used to be fields wide open but I wonder how many of those are now fenced off and 'out of bounds'...
Old May 28, 2012, 07:34 AM
They call me plan B
Joined Mar 2011
2,183 Posts
So i have to switch both ? I figured i would just have to flip one , but i have not tested yet.

Quote:
Fot the DS520 Reverse RUDD R. switch on the RX 2702 an reverse rudd ch on radio, otherwise mount the servo on the other side of the boom and keep your switches set where they are.
Old May 28, 2012, 07:37 AM
They call me plan B
Joined Mar 2011
2,183 Posts
Damn that sucks , . Good thing you hit the grass!

Quote:

Old May 28, 2012, 12:07 PM
They call me plan B
Joined Mar 2011
2,183 Posts
Ok i was able to do the whole setup again , i almost had lift off when i saw my tracking was still off a bit , still to windy to fly but this heli should be solid before long.
Could my 5v regulator for the tail have gone bad?
Old May 28, 2012, 01:47 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,970 Posts
Quote:
So i have to switch both ? I figured i would just have to flip one , but i have not tested yet.
Yes. On the 2702V the RX switches are to reverse the gyro throw and the TX reverse is for your control throws. Both need to be set properly for all axis.

Quote:
Ok i was able to do the whole setup again , i almost had lift off when i saw my tracking was still off a bit , still to windy to fly but this heli should be solid before long.
Could my 5v regulator for the tail have gone bad?

Yes, it is possible the voltage regulator went bad. All electronics can go bad really. Do you have a multimeter? Plug it into your RX and power it up. Check the voltage coming out the other end. See if it's fluctuating or anything. If you saw what happened when my last 2 tail servos went bad. The tail just started acting a little funny then all of a sudden it shuttered back and forth on it's own rapidly, just like yours did. After that it either locked in place where it was, in the case of the Fusonic servo. Or it would move some but only when it wanted to and very erratically. I still have not ordered a regulator yet. Not sure it's needed in reality. So far i have about 10-12 packs on my new stock servo without any problems yet. It does run warm though. I suppose if the RX is going to burn it out, it should happen any time now. I can't fly today because of all the rain and wind . Good luck on the setup and first flights!
Old May 28, 2012, 06:57 PM
Joined Oct 2009
2,221 Posts
Hey HB, I guess the best way to relate the tail servo reversals is the same as you did on cyclic, the stock WK 08-8/9's are exact opposite control signal it seems than the Align Savox/Ds410's. Think of it as canceling the radio end out and the RX end out and making it the same. Sounds confusing but all your really doing is changing directions of pulse widths. If you put her on the ground and she wants to spin thats the RX telling you to reverse the gyro. If you get her up in the air and the controls are backwards (left stick - nose of canopy goes right and your flying the tail) thats the radio telling you to reverse the rudd channel.
Still hesitant to watch the finless bob vids huh? LOL you know he breaks this all down, but keep asking away dude because your bringing it all back for me and Im about to do the full electronics install on this bird. After you do it a few times it will come to you if it already hasnt.

Your probably dealing with some bent shafts also if you didnt replace them, Feathering, main and tail shafts all have to run true. Theres usually a little dot on the end of the main and tail and im sure you know the FS trick on how to see if thats straight.

Let us know how you get on with it. Im going to mess around with this heli tonight while i have the time.