HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 19, 2012, 08:08 PM
They call me plan B
United States, GA, Covington
Joined Mar 2011
2,100 Posts
Well it finally happened, i put on new white blades and then this happened

walkera v450d01 crashes hard.MP4 (2 min 4 sec)

It had a crazy wobble and i couldnt get it to the ground in time , arghhhhhhhh
This heli has been great for about a year.and i had to screw it up, but maybe it was going to happen anyway , i guess only a rebuild will tell.
Heli Biggie is offline Find More Posts by Heli Biggie
to remove ads between posts
Old May 19, 2012, 10:05 PM
hoten-x,master-cp,v120d02s,etc
Tampa,FL
Joined Dec 2003
1,124 Posts
In case anyone's looking for some spare parts or a second v450 to build up

candy76man is offline Find More Posts by candy76man
Old May 19, 2012, 11:06 PM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
6,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Biggie View Post
Well it finally happened, i put on new white blades and then this happened

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P86dF...e_gdata_player

It had a crazy wobble and i couldnt get it to the ground in time , arghhhhhhhh
This heli has been great for about a year.and i had to screw it up, but maybe it was going to happen anyway , i guess only a rebuild will tell.
Just my guess, but looks about the same as when my last 2 tail servos went bad. both of them just 2 weeks ago. That didn't look like a wobble, that looked like the tail servo going nuts. Check it out, I bet it gets really hot just sitting with the battery plugged in. If it's like my last stock servo it will eventually short out, overload and maybe even fry your ESC. I would replace it personally. Plug it in on the bench and excert it some by throwing the servo back and forth to it's full range. See what it does, i'm guessing it will not function properly, if not at first, shortly after it starts to get hot. Lucky for me i didn't crash that hard though. Hope the damage is minimal for you. I just crashed too and am waiting for my new rotor head to arrive.

Free??, alright buddy, mail it over! I'm also willing to make installments of nothing. I sure could use that rotor head right about now though.
IntegrityHndywrk is online now Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Old May 19, 2012, 11:13 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,601 Posts
New addition to my canopy collection:
Old May 20, 2012, 03:57 AM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,718 Posts
Totally irresponsible flying location.

I might end up selling my V450 too... I got told, 'You can't fly here!' again. I guess with all the people and valuable fragile things around I was stupid to even attempt to fly here...

See for yourselves.
Walkera V450D01 on board @ a *very* dangerous location (7 min 19 sec)

I counted at least one whole person in the video within a 150m radius, he appears to be holding a WK2801 - how odd (plus a GoPro on the head - that does look a bit strange I admit).

Fed up... normally, people would just let it go but Japan is a place where rules are king.

Earthquakes, Tsunami, Radiation - none of them made me leave but jobsworth security guards and inability to enjoy my hobby is making me seriously consider getting out of here.
thwaitm is offline Find More Posts by thwaitm
Old May 20, 2012, 05:23 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thwaitm View Post
I might end up selling my V450 too... I got told, 'You can't fly here!' again. I guess with all the people and valuable fragile things around I was stupid to even attempt to fly here...

See for yourselves.
http://youtu.be/mdhtXNhx5IM

I counted at least one whole person in the video within a 150m radius, he appears to be holding a WK2801 - how odd (plus a GoPro on the head - that does look a bit strange I admit).

Fed up... normally, people would just let it go but Japan is a place where rules are king.

Earthquakes, Tsunami, Radiation - none of them made me leave but jobsworth security guards and inability to enjoy my hobby is making me seriously consider getting out of here.
The Japanese way is to put others before yourself! Stop being selfish and obey the rules that exist only because someone else that is being selfish complained about you being selfish flying your helicopter! Geez, i just don't see how your not understanding the logic and simple beauty of this concept! (it's also very unfortunate how little sarcasm comes through in text, but i'm being VERY sarcastic, trust me.)

Oh and kudos to you for being able to haul all your stuff out there on a bicycle! That sounds difficult just to begin with. In America, if it's open property with no buildings we just tell the "security" to call the police and leave before they get there I don't know how that would work out on a bicycle though. Maybe not such a good idea? What is that place your flying at?
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; May 20, 2012 at 05:34 AM.
Old May 20, 2012, 05:34 AM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,718 Posts
Yeah - if it was actually in use for horses or there were people working to prepare the ground I can get them not wanting a 450 buzzing about but otherwise... just go back to minding the gate and sue me when I damage the grass...!

One thing that does make it slightly less annoying is that the sand here is actually magnetic which I can't see being good for brushless motors!!

Maybe that was what he actually wanted to tell me???

thwaitm is offline Find More Posts by thwaitm
Old May 20, 2012, 05:45 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,601 Posts
Quote:
Yeah - if it was actually in use for horses or there were people working to prepare the ground I can get them not wanting a 450 buzzing about but otherwise... just go back to minding the gate and sue me when I damage the grass...!

One thing that does make it slightly less annoying is that the sand here is actually magnetic which I can't see being good for brushless motors!!

Maybe that was what he actually wanted to tell me???

Yeah, living in florida i have the luxury of all this sand! It's like a desert. It's very rare i find magnetic soil deposits. Sometimes in my yard, but i scrap metals and stuff so there is rust around. Otherwise it's rare. The magnetic deposits will reap havoc on your motor because removing the particles, especially from the magnetized bearings will be next to impossible. Brush motors will receive the most damage of course. But you should put a piece of scotch tape over the holes in your RX, this is what i do to keep sand out. Just put a little fold you so can remove it easy. Because of all this sand i end up cleaning and lubing after nearly every outing, i don't know how bad the sand and magnetic particles are there, but having the motor mounted under side sure does not help the situation.
Old May 20, 2012, 08:18 AM
They call me plan B
Joined Mar 2011
2,100 Posts
Looks like you have the v450 wobble also , im about sick this heli. I never did get it perfect, and my gains were all the way down , i think tye 2702 should only be on bigger birds, but im no pro. Im just upset. So can i put a 3gx in this bird? Then i would use the 2801 rx like in my trex600. If we all try to sell out birds at the same time who will buy lolol. Happy flying all.

Thanks for the video. 1st person is cool.

Quote:

See for yourselves.
http://youtu.be/mdhtXNhx5IM

Old May 20, 2012, 08:49 AM
Making Stock Fly Like Modified
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Oct 2009
2,220 Posts
Walkera....Always something with you :)

Metal Tail Rotor Control Arm
So now the tail section rebuild specifically the "Metal Tail Rotor Control Arm"
This part takes all the force as a pivot point from the rudder control rod and has 2 bearings in it, after a year the bearings started to develop some slop witch translated into more slop down the line. The funny thing is the old part had all the parts, the new part didnt have the bearing washer (circled in red on the 3rd pic) so I just used the one from the old part. But the new part should have come with this little brass washer already installed, which allows the 2 bearings to connect seamless and slide smooth between them while the screw/bolt compresses them together. So, if you do replace this part on your V be sure to check for and put this washer in if its missing or you could find there will be binding in the part. (HM-F450-Z--15) and all the problems that come with that, especially tail wag.

Nothing like replacing an old part with new only to find the new part is worse!
This could have been a one off, that maybe only a small batch of parts were effected nevertheless its always good to check to be sure.

Washer Mod (Tail Assy)
I also added the washer mod (if you can call it a mod, since the heli dont come stock with it)
Shown in the 1st PIC in the 2nd row...........It's just an extra brass washer off of an old set of Swash Phasing arms/Control arms that connect to the swash on the V's head. Inside each of those arms are 2 small bearings and in between those 2 small bearings is this 1 brass washer. So if you have an old set of those or one in your parts box install it below the arm that sticks out from the tail assy and on to the top bearing of the Metal Tail Rotor Control Arm. Not too tight and not too lose just enough to keep the part from having any extra movement back and forth on the screw, other than what it should have. This will alleviate any possible slop or binding in this area.

Rudder Control Rod straight shot mod
Also the V450 comes stock out of the box with the rudder control rod on the first hole of each of the 2 supports, with the 3rd support in the middle being integrated into the H-Stab mount. I found that its a more direct straight line from the servo to the control arm if you go down to the second hole (closest to the bottom) on the supports. In order to do that cut or sand or dremel (cleaner method) the H-Stab mount bottom hole, see pic below. This way it wont interfere with the plastic sleeve, then if you have an extra regular mount just use that in its place, but 2 mounts should work fine also. Just go down to the 2nd hole on all 3 and line them up, torque them down straight, and now you wont have the rudder control rod bending in the center or any friction on the rod. Always best to have the rod straight from end to end and moving smoothly. (See last 2 pics)

PS. I'm using a Align DS520 as a tail servo, which is more sensitive, tighter deadband etc.. than the stock 2610H. I reduced the mechanical gain by moving the tail servo ball link closer in to the servo arm screw by 2 mm's. Stock setup is ball link 10mm on center from screw to ball, I went down to 8mm on center. So you may or may not need to do this mod to get your control rod straight depending on what servo your using and the ball distance used from center screw.
Reducing mechanical gain increases servo resolution on the tail servo and can be one way to get rid of tail wag on a sensitive tail gyro with some servos. See here for more info on this;
http://www.spartan-rc.com/resources/...q.php?topic=84
HeliFlyer711 is offline Find More Posts by HeliFlyer711
Last edited by HeliFlyer711; May 20, 2012 at 01:40 PM. Reason: add info
Old May 20, 2012, 09:36 AM
They call me plan B
Joined Mar 2011
2,100 Posts
Boy , i wish all you guys lived closer....you all know so much good info.

I dont even want to rebuild my heli , i just love to fly, but i will rebuild with as many align parts as i can

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliFlyer711 View Post
So now the tail section rebuild specifically the "Metal Tail Rotor Control Arm"
This part has 2 bearings in it and after a year the bearings started to develop some slop witch translated into more slop down the line. The funny thing is the old part had all the parts, the new part didnt have the bearing washer (circled in red on the 3rd pic) so I just used the one from the old part. But it should have come with this little brass washer which allows the 2 bearings to connect seamless and work smooth. So, if you do replace this part on your V be sure to put this washer in or you could find there will be binding in the part. (HM-F450-Z--15) and all the problems that come with that.

Nothing like replacing an old part with new only to find the new part is worse!

This could have been a one off, that maybe only a small batch of parts were effected nevertheless its always good to check to be sure.
Old May 20, 2012, 10:00 AM
Making Stock Fly Like Modified
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Oct 2009
2,220 Posts
Quote:

I dont even want to rebuild my heli , i just love to fly, but i will rebuild with as many align parts as i can
Sorry about the crash biggie, thats messed up. To me it didnt even look like it was your fault and was a mechanical in air failure. Like all machines these things have to be maintained, retuned for wear and repaired. Theres a few guys I know here that want nothing to do with mechanical aspect of building, tuning or fixing for whatever various reasons including not enough time to do it. They just want to fly, So they pay top dollar to the local hobby joint for builds and repairs. Maybe for a guy like you that crashes once a year or so it might pay to just buy a new bird after you fly the Stuff out of it.

If you make a list of parts that you think you will need to replace and see if its worth fixing realizing you can get a new frame for a little over/under 100 these days thats better quality and easier to work on.

Im going to try to post the rebuild step by step of mine but the radio setup and dial in stuff is something that takes time to understand and you have to start at the beginning to even learn the lingo. Finless bob's CCPM vids on HF is a good start since even though the V is fbl, the 2702V still uses basic CCPM to do the setup and dial in and 95% of the info in those vids still apply to this bird.

HeliFlyer711 is offline Find More Posts by HeliFlyer711
Old May 20, 2012, 10:48 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,601 Posts
Quote:

I enjoy working on these almost as much as flying, except when i have to fix my own and i really want to fly. So i know how you feel, usually i have to just throw mine on the bench and walk away for a day (after ordering parts). After that i start tinkering and end up not putting it down till i have it all apart and back together.

I'm only maybe 2-3 hours away from you, I'd be glad to give you a hand, but it is still pretty far. If you didn't break any of the airframe, or only the bottom plate the rekit is pretty simple and cheap as long as you don't have to replace servos. I just ordered the whole rotor assembly with blades for mine and it cost under $80 with shipping included. I was lucky and my gears and one way were unharmed, i suppose because it was actually an AR landing/crash. It looked like you got a pretty good whack on the concrete though. If all else fails and your stuck or really just don't want to do the work I suppose you could always mail it over to me, for a small fee. Though i know how apprehensive some might be to do something like that. I don't mind using eBay or PayPal to legitimize the service on record. But personally i would use this as an opportunity to learn more about CCPM setup. Down the road it can only help you understand whats going on when your bird had strange issues. To me it looked like your tail servo finally gave out, thats all. Not to shabby if you've had it for a year already!. I've only had mine for a month or something and am on servo #3. I just think i had bad luck though. My first servo could have been a year old, who knows.

Man Wow Hobbies for me is the better shipping service. Because I'm on the east coast and they are on the west. I made an order at like 5:30pm and they still shipped it same day. It will be here tomorrow. Meanwhile i placed an order with Heli Direct for blades and some other things just a few hours prior and it still has not shipped because they don't ship on saturday. I would have made both orders with Heli Direct but they often don't have the one item i really need so i order from wow hobbies because they almost always have every part in stock. It seems Heli Direct just does not carry some specific items, EVER, like the 4f200 ball linkages or the v450 MAIN SHAFT! LOL. These items are not even listed on their site, other items just say "out of stock" these are just not carried apparently.
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; May 20, 2012 at 11:14 AM.
Old May 20, 2012, 12:59 PM
They call me plan B
Joined Mar 2011
2,100 Posts
Thanks again guys , my only problem is i have 2 kids and dont really have the time , but it will get done! It looks like i will need 1 normal servo. I want the best , thats been tested, so what was that brand again? And should i just get all 3? and then i know the worst tail servo but what was the best to get?

I also need. A tail boom , main gear, landing gear, and one swash link , kinda good , concidering the awesome smack it made. Lol. I got the v450 to have a heli when my v400 went down , so now the roll reverses. But my v400 has a loose pinion...... Argh! Again
Old May 20, 2012, 02:19 PM
Joined Mar 2011
462 Posts
What is the worst tail servo the stock one?
Apphoard is offline Find More Posts by Apphoard