HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 16, 2012, 06:35 PM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
7,140 Posts
Ok sooo, really rainy day sucks. So I'm going to do some more painting probably lol.

I received my new stock tail servo today, in comparison the color is a little different where the servo is blue. Besides that i installed the servo, set it up and ran it sitting on the ground for about 30 seconds just constant tick tocking it on the shaft without the motor spinning up.

Now my last stock servo would start to get warm just because the battery was plugged in, eventually getting very warm and then hot. The 2nd one, the Fusonic didn't get very warm at all really if it just sat still. This new stock servo while just sitting with the battery plugged in for 5 minutes didn't even get warm. The aluminum casing stayed cool to the touch. After exerting the servo back and forth for 30 seconds it began to get a little bit warm but hardly noticeable. I have a good feeling this servo might last a while and was fairly cheap too. I noticed right away that the stock servo is much faster than the Fusonic i had installed last. It's honestly not a bad servo for $29, if it lasts! If it does, a Futaba will be next.
IntegrityHndywrk is online now Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
to remove ads between posts
Old May 16, 2012, 07:58 PM
Joined Mar 2011
462 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
Ok sooo, really rainy day sucks. So I'm going to do some more painting probably lol.

I received my new stock tail servo today, in comparison the color is a little different where the servo is blue. Besides that i installed the servo, set it up and ran it sitting on the ground for about 30 seconds just constant tick tocking it on the shaft without the motor spinning up.

Now my last stock servo would start to get warm just because the battery was plugged in, eventually getting very warm and then hot. The 2nd one, the Fusonic didn't get very warm at all really if it just sat still. This new stock servo while just sitting with the battery plugged in for 5 minutes didn't even get warm. The aluminum casing stayed cool to the touch. After exerting the servo back and forth for 30 seconds it began to get a little bit warm but hardly noticeable. I have a good feeling this servo might last a while and was fairly cheap too. I noticed right away that the stock servo is much faster than the Fusonic i had installed last. It's honestly not a bad servo for $29, if it lasts! If it does, a Futaba will be next.
You have a new ESC right? I was thinking maybe your BEC is bad in the ESC and is letting the servo get to many volts. Might be worth it to put a meter on the RX. But I am just guessing. Or maybe you have done that.

I am going to give that cheap HK servo a shot I will let you know how it goes.
Apphoard is offline Find More Posts by Apphoard
Old May 16, 2012, 09:41 PM
They call me plan B
United States, GA, Covington
Joined Mar 2011
2,285 Posts
http://www.rtf-heli.com/WALKERA_V400D02_FG_CANOPY.html

These are the fiber glass canopies for the v400. Maybe if we all email this guy, he will make some for the v450. I have already emailed him ,the more people that will buy , the more worth it to him to get made.
I tryed a new camera angle with the v450, but i was not good enough to keep it in one place while doing 3d moves, it was on the ground facing up. the moves it did get were cool, but not enough to post .
I did get my 8th and 9th flight with my trex600. This is a very solid heli, and im using my 2801 tx/rx .

align trex 600 pro 3d 8 th flight.MP4 (5 min 42 sec)
Heli Biggie is offline Find More Posts by Heli Biggie
Old May 16, 2012, 09:48 PM
Joined Mar 2011
462 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Biggie View Post

These are the fiber glass canopies for the v400. Maybe if we all email this guy, he will make some for the v450. I have already emailed him ,the more people that will buy , the more worth it to him to get made.
I tryed a new camera angle with the v450, but i was not good enough to keep it in one place while doing 3d moves, it was on the ground facing up. the moves it did get were cool, but not enough to post .
I did get my 8th and 9th flight with my trex600. This is a very solid heli, and im using my 2801 tx/rx .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUVyf...e_gdata_player
So you are using the 2801pro Rx and a gyro on the 600?

Those canopies look great!
Apphoard is offline Find More Posts by Apphoard
Old May 16, 2012, 10:07 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,140 Posts
So with all the rain and me being bored i decided to paint my landing skids also. Now that i know whats going on with this paint it should come out better next time. This canopy was all cracked and scratched anyway so i decided to test if my paint was going to melt it Maybe i'll paint the tail stabilizers next?
Old May 16, 2012, 10:22 PM
They call me plan B
Joined Mar 2011
2,285 Posts
Yes sir , the 3gx, the damn thing hooks up to the pc, with a million settings, i have 3 walkera helis and 1 align heli on my 2801 tx . I love it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apphoard View Post
So you are using the 2801pro Rx and a gyro on the 600?

Those canopies look great!
Old May 17, 2012, 03:59 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,140 Posts
Quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUVyf...e_gdata_player
BTW, those are FUSUNO canopies. They are sold at heli direct also:
http://helidirect.com/v400do2-c-1_421_1621_1853.hdx

I wonder if the 400 canopy will stretch a fit on the 450 though. I'm still looking for a FG canopy to fit this. My next step is actually going to be fabricating my own since it seems no one else is.

These are some future possible fits for the V450 i might try. If anyone has the resources to check these out i would appreciate it. I'd rather not spend money on canopies i cant return, probably can't resell and most likely won't fit.

This looks like a very promising canopy:
http://helidirect.com/fusuno-assassi...v2-p-25257.hdx

Possible candidate from Walkera Linup:
http://helidirect.com/fusuno-complet...01-p-20964.hdx

Another possibility:
http://helidirect.com/beam-450-c-1_421_1621_614.hdx

Of course i mentioned before there is this cheap plastic alternative to the stock canopy, if you punch new holes, but i have not tried it yet:
http://www.xheli.com/exi-31134.html
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; May 17, 2012 at 04:14 AM.
Old May 17, 2012, 06:21 AM
They call me plan B
Joined Mar 2011
2,285 Posts
The v400 is no wheres as big as the v450 . I have both helis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
BTW, those are FUSUNO canopies. They are sold at heli direct also:
http://helidirect.com/v400do2-c-1_421_1621_1853.hdx

I wonder if the 400 canopy will stretch a fit on the 450 though. I'm still looking for a FG canopy to fit this. My next step is actually going to be fabricating my own since it seems no one else is.

These are some future possible fits for the V450 i might try. If anyone has the resources to check these out i would appreciate it. I'd rather not spend money on canopies i cant return, probably can't resell and most likely won't fit.

This looks like a very promising canopy:
http://helidirect.com/fusuno-assassi...v2-p-25257.hdx

Possible candidate from Walkera Linup:
http://helidirect.com/fusuno-complet...01-p-20964.hdx

Another possibility:
http://helidirect.com/beam-450-c-1_421_1621_614.hdx

Of course i mentioned before there is this cheap plastic alternative to the stock canopy, if you punch new holes, but i have not tried it yet:
http://www.xheli.com/exi-31134.html
Old May 17, 2012, 06:54 PM
They call me plan B
Joined Mar 2011
2,285 Posts
Heli... I just went to fusuno web site and saw they have ever other walkera heli canopy but the v450 so i had to send an email lol, pleas all join in and email them , maybe then we can get a canopy for this heli!
Old May 17, 2012, 08:19 PM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,971 Posts
The way I fly I don't want to put a $25 canopy on it! Would look nice for display but I don't have the space Mine sleeps in it's box, hidden from view.
thwaitm is online now Find More Posts by thwaitm
Old May 17, 2012, 08:19 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,140 Posts
Quote:
Heli... I just went to fusuno web site and saw they have ever other walkera heli canopy but the v450 so i had to send an email lol, pleas all join in and email them , maybe then we can get a canopy for this heli!
I have began production on a solid canopy shaped block. After complete i will make a mold out of it. Once the mold is complete i can begin producing fiberglass canopies for the v450 myself. At first probably just for myself till i perfect the process. Shortly after I will begin selling unpainted FG canopies. I don't have an proper automotive paint sprayer and supplies any longer so i can only paint with aerosol at the moment. It would be nice if the fiberglass resins didn't melt the stock canopy so I could just use it as a mold instead. I haven't tried but I'm fairly sure the heat from the resin curing alone would deform it. In the end i don't know if i will follow all the way though, but if this is a feasible project I may commission one of the thousands of airbrush artists at my disposal since i live in Daytona Beach and everybody and their mother wants to airbrush their motorcycle or something when they come here for bike week.
Old May 17, 2012, 08:37 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thwaitm View Post
The way I fly I don't want to put a $25 canopy on it! Would look nice for display but I don't have the space Mine sleeps in it's box, hidden from view.
I don't use a canopy either if i'm going to do 3d flights. But for normal flights it looks nice and i like having it for orientation purposes when i'm flying longer circuits at the field. I have plenty of room at my fields to max out the TX range, so sometimes i try . Sometimes just doing circuits and figure 8s is plenty you know? (especially when it's 25+ MPH winds every single day since you bought your first helicopter, like me, because you live less than a mile from the beach, grrr!!!)

So i'm with you on this not using a canopy thing. That being said I have 2 canopies for each of my helicopters. Only because none of these walkera's have FG canopies and i can buy them all for under $7. I just get mad because my cheap plastic walkera canopies get worn out and crack just from handling it to deal with the battery or maintenance. They also fade and the color often gets scratched off on the inside. It would just be nice to have a solid FG canopy that i can feel confident that handling, dropping, and even light crashing won't crack or affect. Fiberglass is also repairable. Glue and fill the cracks, repaint and you don't have to buy another canopy for that much longer. I'm just tired of replacing walkera canopies and servos just taking the heli out of it's case (made by walkera)

Oh yeah, So i flew the 450 today. It now has all 3 brand new 09-9 v2 servos and a brand new stock tail servo. The new tail servo does not even run warm. I think my old tail servo was a V1 servo also because it got hot just from being powered up.

The v450 flew beautiful! All normal and great at first! About half way though the first pack (stock pack) I began to get the mysterious wobble when lowering throttle again. This time it was very different from my last wobble, it is not as exaggerated and only occurs when the throttle is let off and the head speed drops, and only when in hover or when bringing the heli to a stall. I might need to tune the tracking just a bit but it was too cloudy and dark to see the tracking in hover that well. They looked perfect from a distance of 8-10 feet, i'll get the camera on them later and get them spot on. I loosened my blade grips some to allow the blades some flex in the air and it did not affect the wobble so i re tightened them so they are just slightly loose enough to move some what easily. The heli seems to prefer them a little bit loose but not free moving. The feathering shaft is a brand new shaft and nothing else is bent. I've gone over everything and the only 2 things i can think of causing the lower RPM wobble (besides tracking) is maybe the dampeners or the old servo arms with worn out teeth might be giving some play on the servo's exposed gear under the load.
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; May 17, 2012 at 09:05 PM.
Old May 17, 2012, 09:29 PM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,971 Posts
I haven't done any 3D with my V450 yet, but I do like to have a canopy to protect a little the electronics, frame, etc.
I actually made my own canopy from a PET bottle - ugly as hell but yellow and almost free (paint & time). If it crashes with that on it'll just keep the soil/sand out a bit.

For your wobble, do you have the AILE/ELEV gyro turned down enough?
Is there any backlash in the cyclic servos? There is a mod with O rings. I think it basically increases friction a little and stops it slopping un-damped. (I haven't deployed that yet).

Good news on the tail servo - mine is warm after a flight but not unhealthily.
thwaitm is online now Find More Posts by thwaitm
Old May 17, 2012, 10:50 PM
Joined Jul 2011
1,389 Posts
What is your throttle curve and pitch curve. what is the headspeed. For your case, it may be due to low or insufficient headspeed. It's not uncommon and happened to me before. I will also check the rotor head dampener too.
wlee1017 is offline Find More Posts by wlee1017
Old May 18, 2012, 12:17 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,140 Posts
I have not adjusted the cyclic axis gyros much at all since i got the helicopter. I suppose i can tinker with that too tomorrow when i try and tune the wobble out. Without looking i would say it is probably where the rest of my heli's sit. between 10 and 12 o'clock, but i'm not sure. Tonight i weighed the blades and checked that they are still balanced and COG was still correct. I spun up the motor with only the head attached and I suspected the main shaft might be bent slightly because there was a little vibration on the shaft at low speed. Nearly unnoticeable when i spin it up with only the shaft attached. I replaced the main shaft and as i said, i already replaced the FS.

I run my throttle curve high even in normal flight. I don't like when i let off the throttle and the head speed drops so i think i run the throttle curve for normal around 0 - 25 - 70 - 85 - 100 (without looking) and the pitch curve is almost linear except for the negative end, something like 38 - 45 - 50 - 75 - 100 (again without looking).

Hopefully it will fly true when i fire it up tomorrow with a new main shaft and I have replaced the servo arms with brand new ones. My old ones were reamed out from crashing from the old servo's so they didn't have teeth left and could slip (kind of like a servo saver mod). I also went ahead and releveled the swash, aligned everything again and set the pitch, AGAIN. lol. This is getting tiring for how little i have flow it in the last 2 weeks. If this issue still persists I will go ahead and order the trueblood green dampeners from heli direct. Though i'm sure the Align V2 dampeners will work also, maybe i'll just pick some of those up at the LHS if they are in stock.

EDIT:
One last thing i am wondering might be the source. My RX is now mounted using a thinner 3M mounting tape. Its the 10 lbs. tensile mounting tape, so it's the best 3m tape available but its like 3x thinner than the stock RX mounting pad was, should i maybe remount the RX and double up my mounting tape to add more isolation?