HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 29, 2012, 03:25 PM
They call me plan B
United States, GA, Covington
Joined Mar 2011
2,100 Posts
Its just painted yellow. I was trying to get a store owner to,help about our canopy problem and he didnt have any to try.
I had my 1st south eastern heli meet and fly this morning in charlotte north carolina, thanks to jason and his v450 for coming , he also had more helis , we both flew 2 batteries in our v450s before he kinda wrecked , i didnt have my gopro, battery was dead ,but my bro may have got some of the action with his cam phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
Is that an exi canopy painted or stock? I flew all day over here in Florida myself. We had 35mph gusts and steady 10+ mph winds. Supposed to be worse tomorrow. They were warning beach goers to be careful of wind burn for Christ sakes. My v120d05CS-Pro and v450 handle the wind the best. My 4f200, because of unbalanced blades, loosened or stripped a ball link on the swash and chucked it. YAY. Besides the swash no damage. Surprisingly the wind was not the culprit this time it was my own stubborn desire to fly even though a malfunction is eminent. (what else is new)

I had about 4 great flights on the 450. My tail box started coming apart though. I loc-tite and replaced the screws i lost and went back at it. I'm very scared to try and check the swash for loc-tite because they tend to strip, or so i hear. Hopefully it won't do like my 4f200 above.
Heli Biggie is online now Find More Posts by Heli Biggie
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 29, 2012, 04:24 PM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
6,597 Posts
Has anyone tried mounting a 2.4Ghz wireless camera to the v450 as a short range FPV or remote recording/viewing device? I have one, its tiny and has its own battery. Only weighs like 7g or something. Really light. I'm just worried about RX conflict or static from the 2.4Ghz transmitter in the camera. The camera is a 4 channel selectable only. So it concerns me being so close to the RX.
IntegrityHndywrk is offline Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Old Apr 29, 2012, 06:04 PM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,718 Posts
The Walkera TX/RX is pretty well covered with regards to interference so you probably won't lose control, especially at closer ranges but you may get video interference.
thwaitm is offline Find More Posts by thwaitm
Old Apr 29, 2012, 07:13 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thwaitm View Post
The Walkera TX/RX is pretty well covered with regards to interference so you probably won't lose control, especially at closer ranges but you may get video interference.
I'm not expecting anything great. I have a cheap set of video goggles and i hope to at least be able to go straight up and rotate.

I unfortunately took off today with a little snappy lift off that i'm used to now. And i crashed my damn v450 because i had the wrong model set in the TX. This is the first time i have done this. Usually so careful. The ball linkages all came loose and i didn't loose 1. The swash separated from the bearing and i was able to repress it together. Hopefully that will be ok, i have a replacement but i'd rather save it if i can. I also stripped one of the gears. I suppose i will get a replacement 9-9 but i don't know if getting other brands of servos is going to be a problem or not. I am not exactly familiar with the setup of this heli. So crap. I guess i'll have to set servo limits and all that. Im hoping if i get a 9-9 servo it will just drop in and i won't have to set limits or anything like that.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 07:23 PM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,718 Posts
If you change a servo you need to run through the swash setup. Rushing through and skipping steps will just cost you more and cause more grief in the end.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 07:37 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,597 Posts
Quote:
If you change a servo you need to run through the swash setup. Rushing through and skipping steps will just cost you more and cause more grief in the end.
I was afraid of that too. Christ, from now on i'm using a separate TX for this heli. All my others will just not fly well if bound with the wrong model on the TX. This one is just down right uncontrollable because of the swash mixing setup.

Some how i have the feeling this is going to be awhile before i can fly this thing again. The RX looks like some of the dip switches have the tabby part of the switch broken off too. We'll see how this goes. Some how i have a feeling this is going to be the biggest pain in the #$$ i've had to deal with yet.

I suppose i should just feel lucky that everything else on the heli is still in shape except one servo. I didn't even loose the ball linkages. I think even the main gear is okay. I didn't look. I have a replacement anyway. Going to go and look inside the servo at the gears and see what they look like. Maybe salvageable, sometime my other servos have been able to flip the gear and never make contact with broken teeth. I suppose setting up the swash on this RX looks more complicated than it really probably is. But still Its very frustrating having a learning curve.
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; Apr 29, 2012 at 07:44 PM.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 07:39 PM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,718 Posts
Why not set a FIXED ID for the 450?
Old Apr 29, 2012, 07:41 PM
Making Stock Fly Like Modified
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Oct 2009
2,220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhebbel View Post
an ALIGN set i grabbed from the local hobby store, thats why i picked them aswell over the black ones, also more beefy than the walkera ones but you do have to cut out a notch for your motor but thats easy enough, i just took my walkera struts, traced the area to be removed and used a rotory tool to grind it away.
Ok when you say Align theres about 5 version of the 450 3 or 4 of the 550 600 & 700 .......Which ones were they for, it looks like the 450 Pro. I got a set in my cart and just want to be sure theres enough plastic for the screws to bite into. Im gonna look up in the manual the specs on the pros skids, and match them up to the v450's bottom plate.... Thanks this is a decent cosmetic upgrade and also good for when the heli is up high to see the white for orientation
HeliFlyer711 is offline Find More Posts by HeliFlyer711
Old Apr 29, 2012, 07:46 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,597 Posts
Quote:
Why not set a FIXED ID for the 450?
Learning curve again. none of my past RX have had the ability, at least not to my knowledge. So I never did it. So, Damn the upgrade servos are pretty expensive. I think i will stick with the upgraded 9-9 stock one for right now. Till i have enough to get a whole set of better ones, and when i understand the RX settings more.

Setting up mechanics is easy for me, throw in having to program ranges and centers in the RX and I'm in a whole new realm. I am not happy.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 08:13 PM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,718 Posts
Quote:
Learning curve again. none of my past RX have had the ability, at least not to my knowledge. So I never did it. So, Damn the upgrade servos are pretty expensive. I think i will stick with the upgraded 9-9 stock one for right now. Till i have enough to get a whole set of better ones, and when i understand the RX settings more.

Setting up mechanics is easy for me, throw in having to program ranges and centers in the RX and I'm in a whole new realm. I am not happy.
Setting up the rudder limits is actually dead easy - did you download the V450D01 supplemental manual (check my/thread attachments)? The swash setup is just one of those things that needs to be done if you want to fly helis - the main part on the V450 is still mechanical - you should be fine.
Not sure if WOW are still selling 3 x 9-9s for $100 but you could get them from Helipal for $45+shipping. They still strip if you crash properly though! And the driver board is the same as the 9-8s so watch out for them shorting and burning out (a lot of us have taken the back off and rerouted the wires to reduce the chance of a short).

Setting a FIXED ID works very well on the RX2702V, I recommend it.
(You can then bind, lose TX power, regain TX power and still keep control of the heli.)
Old Apr 29, 2012, 08:35 PM
Joined Dec 2011
27 Posts
Once again, it was fun man, did the tally about $70 in damage. The 450 will be back up and running by weeks end. Let me know when you're in town again and i'll probably drive it into the ground once more, we just need it on camera this time. =]

I also ordered all the receivers for the other heli's so i'm only bringing the Devo 12s next time. It will be nice not to have to switch between the 2801 and the Devo 12s.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Biggie View Post
Its just painted yellow. I was trying to get a store owner to,help about our canopy problem and he didnt have any to try.
I had my 1st south eastern heli meet and fly this morning in charlotte north carolina, thanks to jason and his v450 for coming , he also had more helis , we both flew 2 batteries in our v450s before he kinda wrecked , i didnt have my gopro, battery was dead ,but my bro may have got some of the action with his cam phone.
Demonofpyro is offline Find More Posts by Demonofpyro
Old Apr 29, 2012, 08:43 PM
They call me plan B
United States, GA, Covington
Joined Mar 2011
2,100 Posts
I am still trying to get the video, my bro is a busy guy lol....

Damn ! I hope the rx swapouts go well. I may need a rx 1 day lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonofpyro View Post
Once again, it was fun man, did the tally about $70 in damage. The 450 will be back up and running by weeks end. Let me know when you're in town again and i'll probably drive it into the ground once more, we just need it on camera this time. =]

I also ordered all the receivers for the other heli's so i'm only bringing the Devo 12s next time. It will be nice not to have to switch between the 2801 and the Devo 12s.
Heli Biggie is online now Find More Posts by Heli Biggie
Old Apr 29, 2012, 08:53 PM
Joined Dec 2011
27 Posts
After i convert it over you're welcome to all my 2801 stuff as i will no longer need it. Just hit me up if you want to work something out, i don't know what your brother has but if it's not the 2801 it could be a decent upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Biggie View Post
I am still trying to get the video, my bro is a busy guy lol....

Damn ! I hope the rx swapouts go well. I may need a rx 1 day lol
Demonofpyro is offline Find More Posts by Demonofpyro
Old Apr 29, 2012, 09:30 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,597 Posts
Quote:
Setting up the rudder limits is actually dead easy - did you download the V450D01 supplemental manual (check my/thread attachments)? The swash setup is just one of those things that needs to be done if you want to fly helis - the main part on the V450 is still mechanical - you should be fine.
Not sure if WOW are still selling 3 x 9-9s for $100 but you could get them from Helipal for $45+shipping. They still strip if you crash properly though! And the driver board is the same as the 9-8s so watch out for them shorting and burning out (a lot of us have taken the back off and rerouted the wires to reduce the chance of a short).

Setting a FIXED ID works very well on the RX2702V, I recommend it.
(You can then bind, lose TX power, regain TX power and still keep control of the heli.)

Man, i opened up the bad servo. So crappy. Replacement plastic gears must be available for this one gear? Of course its the little plastic gear that stripped. I thought i found a replacement in a 7.6-6 servo that was all stripped out. But the one gear. The teeth are just slightly different so no go.

What do you mean rerouted the wires? Is it just a matter of making sure the lead wires leaving the servo do not cross or something in case of heat melting the shielding? I recently did this with my ESC's servo wire because Walkera suck at QC and it would have eventually shorted from heat melting the shield on the servo wire from touching the components and capacitors that get hot. The esc no longer runs hot, only warm and cools quickly between flights because of the heat sink I installed. The turbo ace motor tends to run it a bit too hot.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 09:36 PM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,718 Posts
Quote:
What do you mean rerouted the wires? Is it just a matter of making sure the lead wires leaving the servo do not cross or something in case of heat melting the shielding?
Exactly, those little FETs can get pretty hot and you know what it looks like inside now - just do your best to minimise the chance of a short.