SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Apr 17, 2012, 11:59 AM
IHW Heli Division
IntegrityHndywrk's Avatar
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
7,338 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thwaitm View Post
Oh yeah - and get a better ESC as well. The stock one is OK, though some have had them burn out but get one with a switched BEC instead of linear. I have an AeolianMotor 45A ESC and HeliFlyer just went with a very comprehensive Castle Ice 50 with a million options.

AR bearing has a tendency to stick, a bit of lithium grease helps there.
I don't use lithium grease i use silicone grease for rubbers and plastics. Hopefully that works just as good but i also have bearing lube. I have a workshop full of all this kind of stuff so it wouldn't surprise me to find lithium grease too. I prefer not to work with lithium because of its biological interaction with human anatomy even though its labeled non toxic. It does absorb through the skin. Without getting to into this subject, just for an example they give lithium to psychotics to calm them down, in their brain. So i don't use it and i use gloves when handling any of these products. I digress, organics and health are my passion, sorry about that. I'm pretty sure i have Teflon, graphite and carbon lube for bearings as well. Are they open bearings or packed bearings? The silicone has been great on my shafts and servo gears so far. But all my servos have been plastic so far. I notice too that Walkera's models ALL have a tendancy for the tail steering slider to bind up on the tail drive. I've bought multiple steering sliders and shafts brand new for 3 of my helicopters and i ALWAYS have to lightly ream out the steering slider with a drill. Just a hair, but if i don't lube won't allow free movement and the steering rocker will bend under servo pressure trying to move them (v120 size). Of course you also have to be careful not to take too much off and have it be too loose also. Freaking walkera, can you please just manufacture your parts to fit your shafts? bastards.

Anyway, i don't plan on doing any 3d with this for a little while, i'm just hoping the servos won't strip while i'm putting the blade holder on and putting the heli in the box like my 4f200's servos do. You cannot handle this bird's head or blades by hand ever! To put the blade holder on you best use the servos to level out the blades. Trying to move them with the power off will result in a stripped servo. But as far as 3d goes I do tend to get very ballsy and just try and flip my new heli on maiden flights sometimes. I find crashing on your maiden flight or very early on will release you from the cage that is your own paranoia. After rekiting your bird you won't be so intimidated by the repairs. The lack of nervousness i believe, makes you less likely to crash later.

I plan on cutting holes in the canopy like the v500 to allow some air to pass though, is this something people do? I know i'll be hovering a lot at first and that tends to run things hot. Should i fly short flights and monitor the ESC or is it not really an issue? I plan on upgrading the ESC if these things have been known to burn out.

One last thing. Since this is going to be my biggest bird. In the past i could hand held spool up my v120s to test them, and strapping down my 4f200 was easy... How should i go about tethering the 450 to do "bench testing" Is it enough to put 2 big tie wraps on the front and back of the skids? or does the tail need to be secured? i know this heli will have alot more power than i'm used to so i'm kind of scared to attempt a bench test, and almost would rather crash it 50 feet in front of me than risk injury or damages. I also know most people probably skip this step and probably have no advise for me. But i thought i would ask anyway.
IntegrityHndywrk is online now Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; Apr 17, 2012 at 12:34 PM.
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 17, 2012, 06:42 PM
They call me plan B
Heli Biggie's Avatar
United States, GA, Covington
Joined Mar 2011
2,358 Posts
You guys know way to much info. But im glad , great write up heliflyer.

The mg pro version from wow has been nothing but a good time , alittle wobble every other flight but nothing the gryos cant handle. I had 2 flight today in the wind , and was trying to hold it inverted , my mind is not helping here. I can hold inverted hover on sim but the real deal .....is the real deal. I had the go pro on but the 1st flight i had to remove it and get a hat , the 2nd i was shooting to high , i have been having a problem centering it on my head in the narrow view(zoom). So i will go back to other mode to catch the almost wrecks .lol
I had a good save today , thanks to sim,
Heli Biggie is offline Find More Posts by Heli Biggie
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2012, 09:16 PM
IHW Heli Division
IntegrityHndywrk's Avatar
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
7,338 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Biggie View Post
You guys know way to much info. But im glad , great write up heliflyer.

The mg pro version from wow has been nothing but a good time , alittle wobble every other flight but nothing the gryos cant handle. I had 2 flight today in the wind , and was trying to hold it inverted , my mind is not helping here. I can hold inverted hover on sim but the real deal .....is the real deal. I had the go pro on but the 1st flight i had to remove it and get a hat , the 2nd i was shooting to high , i have been having a problem centering it on my head in the narrow view(zoom). So i will go back to other mode to catch the almost wrecks .lol
I had a good save today , thanks to sim,
So i keep hearing some people talk about this wobble, and someone said its the bushings in the head . The one that holds the feathering in place. Well apparently they could be a little more firm according to who ever it was i saw on youtube or something. They are a little too soft i guess, and as some of you might have already suspected, if this is true, high temperature climates would also serve to soften rubbers and plastics some too. Perhaps this deserves some looking into. When i get my heli, probably tomorrow, i will be giving it a good once over before trying to power it up.

About your hat cam. I bought a cheap pair of FPV type goggles on ebay for about $70. I think they are for an iphone or something actually. They have a composite input so my camera plugs up and i can see through it on my head. I can see in the visor or over the top of it so i get a camera view and my own at the same time. Its pretty cumbersome so i usually don't use it. You know wires hanging and all. But cool just the same. I will be getting a little 2.4ghz camera to use with it shortly on my 4f200, but now that i have a v450 on the way, FPV might be better on that. less safe.... maybe... More fun??? absolutely.
IntegrityHndywrk is online now Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2012, 09:48 PM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
So i keep hearing some people talk about this wobble, and someone said its the bushings in the head.
I've not actually flown my 450 a lot but I don't think the FS rubbers are so bad. Certainly not worth stripping a good head apart for.
If you detect some bend in the FS and want to/need to replace it then check the rubbers then. Also, if you can measure them ID/OD and width we'd all be happy for that info. Maybe they too are replaceable with Align 450 parts as well.
thwaitm is offline Find More Posts by thwaitm
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2012, 10:37 PM
They call me plan B
Heli Biggie's Avatar
United States, GA, Covington
Joined Mar 2011
2,358 Posts
The wobble i had from stock ,it got a bit better with gryos all the way down. It has started creeping in again , my last few flights. I cant turn my gryos down anymore.



Quote:
Originally Posted by thwaitm View Post
I've not actually flown my 450 a lot but I don't think the FS rubbers are so bad. Certainly not worth stripping a good head apart for.
If you detect some bend in the FS and want to/need to replace it then check the rubbers then. Also, if you can measure them ID/OD and width we'd all be happy for that info. Maybe they too are replaceable with Align 450 parts as well.
Heli Biggie is offline Find More Posts by Heli Biggie
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2012, 10:40 PM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,997 Posts
Which servos are you running?
thwaitm is offline Find More Posts by thwaitm
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2012, 10:42 PM
They call me plan B
Heli Biggie's Avatar
United States, GA, Covington
Joined Mar 2011
2,358 Posts
All stock mg from wow
Quote:
Originally Posted by thwaitm View Post
Which servos are you running?
Heli Biggie is offline Find More Posts by Heli Biggie
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2012, 10:51 PM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,997 Posts
OK, so the WK-09-9 versions then. In that case it might be a combination between the play in the metal gears and soft rubbers.

My head appears looser now with the 09-9s than with the 09-8s but I still have a fair amount of gyro applied (~45% I'd guess).

I've read here that putting the Savox replacements in really makes a big difference. The servo controller boards are a totally different design and standard too.
thwaitm is offline Find More Posts by thwaitm
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2012, 12:31 AM
IHW Heli Division
IntegrityHndywrk's Avatar
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
7,338 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thwaitm View Post
I've not actually flown my 450 a lot but I don't think the FS rubbers are so bad. Certainly not worth stripping a good head apart for.
If you detect some bend in the FS and want to/need to replace it then check the rubbers then. Also, if you can measure them ID/OD and width we'd all be happy for that info. Maybe they too are replaceable with Align 450 parts as well.
The Align 450Se FS is the same so i would think the Alight parts will fit. But i'm going to try a set of these should the problem arise on my heli.

http://www.anythingheli.com/truebloo...450-v2-v3-pro/
IntegrityHndywrk is online now Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; Apr 18, 2012 at 02:02 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2012, 12:59 AM
IHW Heli Division
IntegrityHndywrk's Avatar
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
7,338 Posts
Can anyone recommend a good computer controlled balance charger that will charge multiple batteries at once? Like 2 or more 2S or 3S packs. I'm looking at the Thunder T6 but its out of stock everywhere.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/73p-ac680-accharger.html
IntegrityHndywrk is online now Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; Apr 18, 2012 at 01:45 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2012, 02:14 AM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
The Align 450Se FS is the same so i would think the Alight parts will fit. But i'm going to try a set of these should the problem arise on my heli.

http://www.anythingheli.com/truebloo...450-v2-v3-pro/
Interesting. Let us know what you find out.
thwaitm is offline Find More Posts by thwaitm
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2012, 07:29 AM
They call me plan B
Heli Biggie's Avatar
United States, GA, Covington
Joined Mar 2011
2,358 Posts
I use the thunder ac6. It charges my 6 cells no problem, but not 2 batteries at once , sorry
Quote:
Originally Posted by thwaitm View Post
Interesting. Let us know what you find out.
Heli Biggie is offline Find More Posts by Heli Biggie
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2012, 12:46 PM
IHW Heli Division
IntegrityHndywrk's Avatar
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
7,338 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Biggie View Post
I use the thunder ac6. It charges my 6 cells no problem, but not 2 batteries at once , sorry
Yeah man, its totally BS. They are all sold out. But Just FYI The thuner T6 and iMax Quattro B6 are both multifunction, multi battery charges capable of charging up to 4 batteries at once. Both are sold out everywhere. The Thunder T6 is just like your AC6 but internally is equil to 4 charging units. It can charge 4 batteries at once. It does not care what kind either, it is 4 separate chargers in one unit. So you can charge a LiPo on one port, a NiCad on another port, and a lead acid battery on yet another port. On top of that it will charge a 2S pack in one port while charging a 3S pack in another port and a 4S pack in yet another port. Very versatile but requires a external power supply. Both are available at hobbypartz.com when they restock them.
IntegrityHndywrk is online now Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2012, 01:30 PM
IHW Heli Division
IntegrityHndywrk's Avatar
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
7,338 Posts
Now i'm looking into alternative for fiber glass canopies that will fit. I'll freaking paint it myself if i have to but i'd rather not. Can anyone point me in the direction of a canopy i won't loose in the first crash and have to pay wowhobbies $12 each + shipping for cheap plastic each time. It would not be so bad if these things were priced to their value. About $2. But nooooo, wowhobbies has to capitalize on the crappy workmanship of the product and get $12 each. thats like %400 markup. Really guys?! everyone else is sold out, except china. Helidirect sells these things for $6 which is almost reasonable, when they get them in 5 weeks or whatever. It's still crappy, brittle, cancer causing, BPA plastic. At least i don't have to put it in my mouth like a water bottle but still.. Paying for garbage is starting to become my biggest pet peeve. Its worse than buying a crappy video game you can't return. So even if i have to drill out some holes or something there must be better alternatives that don't look horrible?
IntegrityHndywrk is online now Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2012, 08:26 PM
They call me plan B
Heli Biggie's Avatar
United States, GA, Covington
Joined Mar 2011
2,358 Posts
It would be nice if a trex 450 fit but i dont know. Please check heli-heli.com for the stock canopy, i think they had a good price


Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
Now i'm looking into alternative for fiber glass canopies that will fit. I'll freaking paint it myself if i have to but i'd rather not. Can anyone point me in the direction of a canopy i won't loose in the first crash and have to pay wowhobbies $12 each + shipping for cheap plastic each time. It would not be so bad if these things were priced to their value. About $2. But nooooo, wowhobbies has to capitalize on the crappy workmanship of the product and get $12 each. thats like %400 markup. Really guys?! everyone else is sold out, except china. Helidirect sells these things for $6 which is almost reasonable, when they get them in 5 weeks or whatever. It's still crappy, brittle, cancer causing, BPA plastic. At least i don't have to put it in my mouth like a water bottle but still.. Paying for garbage is starting to become my biggest pet peeve. Its worse than buying a crappy video game you can't return. So even if i have to drill out some holes or something there must be better alternatives that don't look horrible?
Heli Biggie is offline Find More Posts by Heli Biggie
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wanted Walkera 400d or Walkera Brushless Cb100 or Heli max 6 channel heli blueindian Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 0 Jul 07, 2010 09:03 PM
Discussion Walkera 4#6 or Walkera 4#6s? red_storm Micro Helis 8 Jul 07, 2010 01:17 AM
Discussion Upgrade my Walkera 4#3B or just get a Walkera 4#6? tumble2k Micro Helis 7 Mar 26, 2010 08:30 PM
For Sale Walkera 68 & Walkera 36 Parts bretware Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 0 Aug 29, 2009 06:23 PM
Wanted Walkera Lama2 or Walkera 5G6-1 night_life Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 2 Aug 27, 2009 05:20 AM