HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 04, 2012, 04:48 PM
NYC
Joined Aug 2010
2,272 Posts
Motor pinion Snap off

Stock Motor pinion snap off yesterday as I was hovering. This also happend to my M120D01 recently. Is this typical Walkera quality control? Both case the pinion with rod snapped off from the motor during hovering and slight turning.
Torch8 is offline Find More Posts by Torch8
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 04, 2012, 05:24 PM
They call me plan B
United States, GA, Covington
Joined Mar 2011
2,358 Posts
Well that sucks , how many flights? Maybe you keep your mesh to tight?.
Heli Biggie is offline Find More Posts by Heli Biggie
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 04, 2012, 05:29 PM
Making Stock Fly Like Modified
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Oct 2009
2,221 Posts
Check pinion mesh, sounds like it was too tight.

The stock motor has a set screw and theres a flat on the motor shaft. They must mate and use threadlock

If you need a new motor i have a real good one for sale that came with my V450 and I barely used it .... http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1624909
HeliFlyer711 is offline Find More Posts by HeliFlyer711
Old Apr 04, 2012, 09:36 PM
NYC
Joined Aug 2010
2,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Biggie View Post
Well that sucks , how many flights? Maybe you keep your mesh to tight?.
Maybe 20 flights, got it used by Dfuji so its mechanically sound. Maybe its snap off when the lipo die during flight. Didn't mention that battery die and heli land safety.
Old Apr 04, 2012, 09:37 PM
NYC
Joined Aug 2010
2,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliFlyer711 View Post
Check pinion mesh, sounds like it was too tight.

The stock motor has a set screw and theres a flat on the motor shaft. They must mate and use threadlock

If you need a new motor i have a real good one for sale that came with my V450 and I barely used it .... http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1624909
Thanks, I got a spare motor on hand already.
Old Apr 09, 2012, 11:37 AM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,997 Posts
After replacing the feathering shaft I hovered her in the back this Sunday. Man am I itching to get out and fly this thing!! I sooo hope it's sunny and dry this weekend.
thwaitm is offline Find More Posts by thwaitm
Old Apr 10, 2012, 11:26 PM
los angeles,ca
Joined May 2010
2,600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torch8 View Post
Thanks, I got a spare motor on hand already.
You should set your alarm up on the 2801 pro an set for 4min an go from there. Torch do you have voltage checker for the batteries this way you will know how long you can fly.
vronny is offline Find More Posts by vronny
Old Apr 10, 2012, 11:31 PM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vronny View Post
You should set your alarm up on the 2801 pro an set for 4min an go from there. Torch do you have voltage checker for the batteries this way you will know how long you can fly.
Can you hear the alarm over the noise of that heli? I have to use a separate kitchen timer!
Old Apr 11, 2012, 05:30 PM
Joined Feb 2012
86 Posts
eBay auction

fyi

I have a set of 3 brand new WK-09-9 servos:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/110856139526...84.m1586.l2649
And a set of 3 brand new WK-09-8 servos:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/110856142552...84.m1586.l2649

I don't need them. Auction ends tomorrow and bids are still pretty low, if someone is interested. US shipping only! Thanks!
raleigh_ralf is offline Find More Posts by raleigh_ralf
Old Apr 11, 2012, 06:01 PM
"Watch this!.... Oh crap"
United States, FL, Seminole
Joined Jan 2012
1,156 Posts
Hey guys been away for a while on work, but now that im back im looking forward to getting some flight hours in, sadly my 450 is having a strange new issue, upon throttle up or down the heli momentarily torque spins until i complete my throttle change, so as you can imagine very easy to lose control of and has resulted already in one crash to date, parts have been repaired from the crash and went to test and still same issue, upon throttle up and take off i begin to spin, once im at a hover (except for the spinning of course) and i stop adjusting my throttle the gyro kicks in and my heading then stabilizes... when i drop my throttle to land i spin the other direction on the way down...
jhebbel is offline Find More Posts by jhebbel
Old Apr 11, 2012, 06:40 PM
They call me plan B
United States, GA, Covington
Joined Mar 2011
2,358 Posts
Are you running a flat throttle curve? Have you tryed changing any gryo settings.? How long have you been gone ? Have you lubbed the heli up? Dont lift off tie her down to a chair and watch what happens.
Heli Biggie is offline Find More Posts by Heli Biggie
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 11, 2012, 07:28 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1,156 Posts
Nope, pretty normal throttle curve, i havent touched the gyro since i got it, and yea i lubed it when i assembled the new parts. my tail servo aint stickin either, so i have no idea why it would only have issues during throttle change
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Biggie View Post
Are you running a flat throttle curve? Have you tryed changing any gryo settings.? How long have you been gone ? Have you lubbed the heli up? Dont lift off tie her down to a chair and watch what happens.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 07:58 PM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhebbel View Post
Nope, pretty normal throttle curve, i havent touched the gyro since i got it, and yea i lubed it when i assembled the new parts. my tail servo aint stickin either, so i have no idea why it would only have issues during throttle change
There's so much mass in the rotor assembly on the 450 that it is quite sensitive to changes in head speed and especially if the amount of torque is greater than that which the tail rotor can compensate for. I learnt that having a headspeed which was too low was a recipe for disaster when I tried with my 450.
V450D01 Low Throttle Curve (1 min 1 sec)

I now run 0 - 45 - 60 - 65 - 70 - 80 in normal. You just need to be gentle spooling up (although actually I have a very soft start enabled on my AeolianPower 45A ESC which helps).
Old Apr 11, 2012, 08:51 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thwaitm View Post
There's so much mass in the rotor assembly on the 450 that it is quite sensitive to changes in head speed and especially if the amount of torque is greater than that which the tail rotor can compensate for. I learnt that having a headspeed which was too low was a recipe for disaster when I tried with my 450.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYQLmFHBskE

I now run 0 - 45 - 60 - 65 - 70 - 80 in normal. You just need to be gentle spooling up (although actually I have a very soft start enabled on my AeolianPower 45A ESC which helps).
my values are:
THRO: 0,33,76,92,100
PITCH: 60,60,64.5,73,85

Im a little aggressive on my curves because i sometimes attach a GoPro, but i really dont see those as too aggressive, do you?
Old Apr 11, 2012, 09:40 PM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhebbel View Post
my values are:
THRO: 0,33,76,92,100
PITCH: 60,60,64.5,73,85

Im a little aggressive on my curves because i sometimes attach a GoPro, but i really dont see those as too aggressive, do you?
I'm not going to claim that it will solve your problem but why not try dropping the top three values so the max is 80 in NORM and middle is ~60. Then run the same or similar pit curve in ST1 but run it 76, 76, 80, 88, 100? (I assume you're not running a governor.). Take care when switching NORM/ST1/NORM that there's no major hop up or down with the change in head speed but you should be OK I guess.

My idea is that trying to keep the headspeed nearly constant and using the blade pitch is the way all CP helis are designed to operate and it also means that the tail is driving at it's designed RPM so the pitch changes are enough to keep the heading.

Another thing is, have you done a rate mode hover to set the tail up?
And do you move the heli between connecting the battery and taking off? Try binding and then flying without moving it.