SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 26, 2012, 10:50 PM
They call me plan B
United States, GA, Covington
Joined Mar 2011
2,324 Posts
How many flights should the belt get? Also remember to check your helis on your 2801 tx
walkera v400d02 2801 mistake.MP4 (0 min 43 sec)

Today i was flying the v400 but had v120 in the tx ,
But ended like this
walkera v450d01 3d.MP4 (4 min 43 sec)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thwaitm View Post
You have to release a little the tail boom mount (body end) and slide the whole thing out a fraction to increase tension, in to decrease. Don't over tension otherwise you'll shorten the belt life. Then re-clamp the boom. (As far as I remember!)
Heli Biggie is online now Find More Posts by Heli Biggie
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 26, 2012, 11:24 PM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,996 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Biggie View Post
How many flights should the belt get? Also remember to check your helis on your 2801 tx

<snip>
Not sure - depends how you fly, amount of grit around, tension, if you have lucky smooth belt pulleys or unlucky rough ones... Just check it each flight I guess. Doesn't take long and might save a nasty crash.

How are your one way bearings by the way guys? Mine always jams, even when lubed. I doubt it'll ever auto...

Nice flying Biggie! I just love the way the V450 spools up - it really sounds like it means business!
thwaitm is offline Find More Posts by thwaitm
Old Mar 26, 2012, 11:38 PM
They call me plan B
Joined Mar 2011
2,324 Posts
Thanks , maybe one of you can make a how to video on belt tension, i jave never checked mine, this is my 1st belt heli,

My one way is fine , i just did a full lube on all my helis l i have a trex 600 on its way. Its getting crazy here. I fixed my v120 up , but i think i still want to sell

it.
Quote:
Not sure - depends how you fly, amount of grit around, tension, if you have lucky smooth belt pulleys or unlucky rough ones... Just check it each flight I guess. Doesn't take long and might save a nasty crash.

How are your one way bearings by the way guys? Mine always jams, even when lubed. I doubt it'll ever auto...

Nice flying Biggie! I just love the way the V450 spools up - it really sounds like it means business!
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 26, 2012, 11:47 PM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,996 Posts
The manual is really not that bad on this point. You just push the belt at the body end and it should just reach the centreline with light pressure. It's a feel thing totally but if you have ever tensioned a motorbike chain it's about the same idea, not too tight, not too slack - somewhere in-between!

Can't believe you want to get rid of the V120 - except it seems you have a nice parking/grass combination area to fly the bigger stuff off.
I can fly my V120/V200D01 in the parking out the back and I can hover the V200D03/V450D01 there but not fly at all. After my Sunday morning, I'm wanting to take my V450 out and fly that properly for about the 4th time (2 crashes so far ). This time without training gear, a nice bright yellow self-painted canopy and lot more DR than previously.

Until then, I'm going to be 120ing around... and trying to get non-jello video from it!
Old Mar 27, 2012, 10:24 AM
NYC
Joined Aug 2010
2,264 Posts
Tail Wag

Getting bad side to side tail wag on V450d01:

This happen after:
1. Changed main blades from Walkera stock to Align
2. Changed stock servos to Savox, except for tail servo (kept that).
3. Gyro Gain is about 65%

Changed to Savox servo to replace strip servos after crash.

How low of gyro gain has anyone used? Can it be as low as 50s range, I know anything under 50% would be rate mode. I don't want to fly in rate mode.
Torch8 is offline Find More Posts by Torch8
Old Mar 27, 2012, 10:38 AM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,996 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torch8 View Post
Getting bad side to side tail wag on V450d01:

This happen after:
1. Changed main blades from Walkera stock to Align
2. Changed stock servos to Savox, except for tail servo (kept that).
3. Gyro Gain is about 65%

Changed to Savox servo to replace strip servos after crash.

How low of gyro gain has anyone used? Can it be as low as 50s range, I know anything under 50% would be rate mode. I don't want to fly in rate mode.
Are you getting some/a lot of vibration?
Blades are well balanced?
RX well attached to frame?
Tail servo is positive & accurate? Have you set the neutral point in 'rate' mode? (90deg servo arm and no or little yaw in rate mode hover)
Nothing loose (like the battery)...
Clean, no missing teeth main gear and tail drive pinion?
Belt in good condition? No kinks, etc..
Smooth hand rotation of main rotor and tail with constant resistance?
Old Mar 27, 2012, 10:43 AM
NYC
Joined Aug 2010
2,264 Posts
Quote:
Are you getting some/a lot of vibration?
Blades are well balanced?
RX well attached to frame?
Tail servo is positive & accurate? Have you set the neutral point in 'rate' mode? (90deg servo arm and no or little yaw in rate mode hover)
Nothing loose (like the battery)...
Clean, no missing teeth main gear and tail drive pinion?
Belt in good condition? No kinks, etc..
Smooth hand rotation of main rotor and tail with constant resistance?
Thanks, let me recheck those things. How are your gryo gain? I used to set it to 80% before this happens Yes very violent side-2-side tail wag as headspeed goes up.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 10:54 AM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,996 Posts
Mine is around 75% I think - just checked 0-80%, 1-70%. It's been ages since I've had her out to crash fly though.
Violent tail wag at spool up sounds like unbalanced blades or grips too tight or binding in the drive.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 11:55 AM
Making Stock Fly Like Modified
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Oct 2009
2,221 Posts
It sounds like you have your blades screwed down too tight, the 2702V on the V450 like the baldes nice and loose, but not so loose that they wobble in the blade grip. Try loosening them up a little at a time and you should see the wag go away. It shoudl be able to run 80% TX gain with the pots turned up 1/2 way especially if your using the Savox servos on cyclic (Sigh-Click not Sick-Click))

If thats not it, to trace the vibe somewhere else, main shaft, blade imbalance, tracking etc..check the RX is mounted tight and square
HeliFlyer711 is offline Find More Posts by HeliFlyer711
Old Mar 27, 2012, 02:11 PM
NYC
Joined Aug 2010
2,264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliFlyer711 View Post
It sounds like you have your blades screwed down too tight, the 2702V on the V450 like the baldes nice and loose, but not so loose that they wobble in the blade grip. Try loosening them up a little at a time and you should see the wag go away. It shoudl be able to run 80% TX gain with the pots turned up 1/2 way especially if your using the Savox servos on cyclic (Sigh-Click not Sick-Click))

If thats not it, to trace the vibe somewhere else, main shaft, blade imbalance, tracking etc..check the RX is mounted tight and square
Thanks, I'll try loosen main blades and check RX. My POTS already set to neutral 50% for the Savox.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 09:18 PM
They call me plan B
Joined Mar 2011
2,324 Posts
Flyer711. You say you are a bit of a 3D pilot. Can you share your tx and rx settings?or is wow hobbies stock ok.

Quote:

RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 28, 2012, 12:06 AM
Joined Oct 2009
2,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Biggie View Post
Flyer711. You say you are a bit of a 3D pilot. Can you share your tx and rx settings?or is wow hobbies stock ok.
I can give you my radio settings but YMMV due to differences in head setup and 2702V initial setup.

When I setup up the RX to learn pitch/cyclic i use 80% on all values in SWATTS
then end up with;
ELEV 40%
AILE 40%
PIT 60%

All 3 (Aile,Elev,Bal Delay) pots turned to 9'0clock if your looking at the RX from the side of the heli with the Servo connector ports words facing you, no tail delay.

This gives me a total cyclic/pitch range of 30 on the V450's head
so +11/-11 pitch with 8 AILE and 8 ELEV. If you can get your head setup like that with a pitch guage then the 3D settings are;

NORM;
Throttle 0 100 100 100 100
Pitch 42 46 50 75 100

ST1
Throttle 100 100 100 100 100
Pitch 0 25 50 75 100

ST2
Throttle 90 90 90 90 90
Pitch 0 25 50 75 100

ST2 is a little laid back to break in a new battery, sometimes I'll take the curve down to 80%.

Dual Rates AILE/ELEV
D/R = 100
EXP 40%

RUDD = 100%/30%

No Subtrim or Trim

Travel Adjust all at 100%
Except Rudder = 120% L/H

Gyro = 76%

Hope that helps, BTW the V450 head can only give.... and the 2702V was only designed to give 10/11 +/- pitch range and 8/9 cyclic or ~30 total range, if your getting more or less than that your not at optimal setup. The manual shows +/-11 Pitch and 9 cyclic as max (for advanced) and +/-10 and 8 cyclic as min (for beginner) setup. You can get more or less out of it but this is what the engineers designed for so thats what I stick with since there are no 3G paremters to adjust besides the 3 pots.
Last edited by HeliFlyer711; Mar 28, 2012 at 12:19 AM.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 08:08 AM
They call me plan B
Joined Mar 2011
2,324 Posts
Thanks so much , do you mean with full +- pitch , to have 8 of ele , and aile? I thought this thing was rtf lol. I only checked my pitch to make sure i dont bind, but i have lots to learn still.

Quote:
I can give you my radio settings but YMMV due to differences in head setup and 2702V initial setup.

When I setup up the RX to learn pitch/cyclic i use 80% on all values in SWATTS
then end up with;
ELEV 40%
AILE 40%
PIT 60%

All 3 (Aile,Elev,Bal Delay) pots turned to 9'0clock if your looking at the RX from the side of the heli with the Servo connector ports words facing you, no tail delay.

This gives me a total cyclic/pitch range of 30 on the V450's head
so +11/-11 pitch with 8 AILE and 8 ELEV. If you can get your head setup like that with a pitch guage then the 3D settings are;

NORM;
Throttle 0 100 100 100 100
Pitch 42 46 50 75 100

ST1
Throttle 100 100 100 100 100
Pitch 0 25 50 75 100

ST2
Throttle 90 90 90 90 90
Pitch 0 25 50 75 100

ST2 is a little laid back to break in a new battery, sometimes I'll take the curve down to 80%.

Dual Rates AILE/ELEV
D/R = 100
EXP 40%

RUDD = 100%/30%

No Subtrim or Trim

Travel Adjust all at 100%
Except Rudder = 120% L/H

Gyro = 76%

Hope that helps, BTW the V450 head can only give.... and the 2702V was only designed to give 10/11 +/- pitch range and 8/9 cyclic or ~30 total range, if your getting more or less than that your not at optimal setup. The manual shows +/-11 Pitch and 9 cyclic as max (for advanced) and +/-10 and 8 cyclic as min (for beginner) setup. You can get more or less out of it but this is what the engineers designed for so thats what I stick with since there are no 3G paremters to adjust besides the 3 pots.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 28, 2012, 09:59 AM
Joined Oct 2009
2,221 Posts
The way you check is use that little torpedo that goes on top of the headbock with a flybar through it and a pitch guage or even better and easier a digital pitch guage level box. Measure +/- pitch normally and measure Aile and Elev (cyclic) with the blades facing the way they would move using those 2 controls. You can look it up on the net for more detailed instructions .

If you notice the blades dont only move when you give collective pitch but they also move when the blades are perpendicular or parallel to the tailboom and you give cyclic. Thats the cyclic pitch.

Watch Finless Bob build a Trex 450 Pro and you will learn all this stuff.........and more

Heres a vid, this guy calls it blade deflection same deal.....Flybar or Flybarless

HK 450GT 052811 Blade Pitch and Blade Deflection Measurements (7 min 26 sec)
Last edited by HeliFlyer711; Mar 28, 2012 at 02:25 PM. Reason: add video
Old Mar 28, 2012, 04:08 PM
They call me plan B
Joined Mar 2011
2,324 Posts
Thanks again , i just watched. I will do some heli bench work soon,
Quote:
The way you check is use that little torpedo that goes on top of the headbock with a flybar through it and a pitch guage or even better and easier a digital pitch guage level box. Measure +/- pitch normally and measure Aile and Elev (cyclic) with the blades facing the way they would move using those 2 controls. You can look it up on the net for more detailed instructions .

If you notice the blades dont only move when you give collective pitch but they also move when the blades are perpendicular or parallel to the tailboom and you give cyclic. Thats the cyclic pitch.

Watch Finless Bob build a Trex 450 Pro and you will learn all this stuff.........and more

Heres a vid, this guy calls it blade deflection same deal.....Flybar or Flybarless

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSZ5r...eature=related
RCG Plus Member