SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 28, 2010, 09:11 AM
United States, NY, Angola
Joined Jul 2010
307 Posts
Discussion
Convert an Airfield N4 Transmitter and XY400 Receiver to 6 channel

Not sure if this has been posted before. I didn't see it anywhere. I just picked up an Airfield 800mm P51. I'm the type I have to mess around with things. I like to see how it works and whats inside. Whatever. So I opened up the N4 transmitter and what do I see. It's actually a 6 channel transmitter. Channels 5 and 6 are just not hooked up. There's sockets for the plugs on the board and they are labeled as channels 5 and 6 on the PC board itself. They do sell a 6 channel one called the N6. Which comes with the 1450mm planes. So I'm assuming they are the exact same(N4 and N6) just the N4 doesn't have the 2 toggle switches at the top installed and it has a different name on the face plate. It's nothing to drill 2 holes in the transmitter case and solder some wires to a singal pull toggle switch, then plug it into the board.

Here's a picture of the internals of the N4 transmitter.
(See picture #1 below)

Here's a top picture of the N4 transmitter. It does have spots where the toggle switches would go.
(See picture #2 below)

Here's just a picture of the N4 and one of the N6. (N6 picture from nitro planes as I don't have one)
(See picture #3 below)
(See picture #4 below)

Now the receiver is the XY400 that came with the 800mm P51 I got. I also opened that up and was suprised to see it has channels 5 and 6 there too. Airfield puts the XY600(I beleive thats what it's call. I zoomed in on the picture below and thats what it appears to be called) in there 1450mm planes and I also think the XY400 and XY600 are the exact same just the XY400 doesn't have the 2 3pin headers soldered in for channels 5 and 6. And also the name on the transmitter. All you have to do to the XY400 to turn it into a 6 channel receiver is add 2 3pin headers and cut the case to allow them through.

(See picture #5 below)

Here's a picture of the XY600 from the 1450mm planes. Not mine. Again from nitroplanes web site as I don't have one.
(See picture #6 below)

So checking both the receiver and transmitter over I seen they both have an Atmega8 microcontroller in them. Now I'm assuming the N6 and XY600 both do as well too. I was thinking well the code on the microcontroller migth not be set up for 6 channel on the XY400 and N4's atmega8. Maybe they have different code on the 2 different transmitters and receivers. So sence I just got this yesturday I wasn't willing to solder the pin headers into the receiver and cut the case just yet. I'll wait till my 30 day warrenty is up. LOL. So instead to test this out I just stuck a 3 pin header into the plug of the servo for one of the ailerons(no other extra servos laying around). Pluged in a singal pull toggle switch into channel 5 of the transmitter. Turned everything on. While I turned it all on I was holding the 3 pin header that was in the plug for the one servo up against the channel 5 of the receiver(where it would have been soldered in). When it powered up the servo went all the way to it's full open position (aileron went up). I fliped the switch pluged into channel 5 of the transmitter and the aileron went down. I flipped it again and it went up. I also tested this on channel 6 and both channels work. So I would say both N4 and N6 transmitters are exactly the same internally, just on the N4 they didn't install channels 4 and 5's toggle switches and the face plate says N4 not N6. It's also safe to say the XY400 and XY600 are also the exact same, just the the XY400 doesn't have the channels 5 and 6 pin headers installed and the case cut to allow then through. Also the name on it (XY400 or XY600) lol.

Now your probably asking why waste my time on a cheap transmitter and receiver. Why not just buy a better 6 channel tranmitter and receiver. Well I would say cause I can. LOL. It's here in front of me. I like to mod stuff. Been doing my own PC boards for several years now for other hobbies. I'm the type if I can save a buck modding it myself I will. LOL. Also wondering if anyone else has tried this out or modded there's to be 6 channel? I did a quick search and didn't see any threads about it anywhere. So I thought I would make one for others to mod there's to 6 channel.

If anyone has an N6 transmitter and an XY600 could you post up some pictures of them? I would love to see the internals of them to see if they are infact the exact same as the N4 and XY400. I'm just assuming they are the exact same cause I find it weird that they have channels 5 and 6 on the N4 and XY400 and they work. So probably what they do to keep cost down they make one receiver and transmitter design and depending on if they need it to be a 4 channel or 6 channel they would make it so. But I can't confirm that 100% as i don't have an N6 and XY600 to compare it to.
Ghost Plane is offline Find More Posts by Ghost Plane
Last edited by Ghost Plane; Sep 30, 2010 at 06:47 AM. Reason: fixed dead images
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 30, 2010, 08:11 PM
Slow flyer
Joined Sep 2009
5 Posts
Looking forward for a field test, retracts maybe or light system
iDuke is offline Find More Posts by iDuke
Old Jul 31, 2010, 06:39 AM
Joined Jul 2010
307 Posts
Yeah I'm gonna use them, no way will I just keep this 4 channel now that I know it's this easily converted to 6 channel. I'm not quite sure what to do though. I was thinking maybe a bomb drop and retracts. Maybe retracts and flaps. Retracts migth be really hard to do on this little plane, but I always thought it looked way better with no landing gear hanging down while you fly.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 12:23 PM
AMA #953123
Eugene, ORYGUN
Joined Mar 2009
2,203 Posts
I discovered the same thing about the GuanLi Skysport4 controller. Its just like you are saying, has all the circuitry for the 5th and 6th channel they just weren't being used. All I did was soldered right into the board and mounted my own button and switch for my extra channels.

Lucky for me the GuanLi RX is already set up for 6 channels so there was no need to modify it. Of course Im not using any of the extra channels on this plane, but when it dies I have plans for the other channels in a future plane.
VROOMSTER is offline Find More Posts by VROOMSTER
Old Jul 31, 2010, 05:12 PM
Joined Jul 2010
307 Posts
Nice. Makes me wonder what other brands are like this too. I think the plane makers who offer both 4 and 6 channel tx and rx depending on the plane you buy(like Airfield they offer both 4 and 6 depending on the plane) really only make one tx and rx design. Just for the 4 channel they don't install the 5th and 6th channels. Would make sence, it would keep cost down. They wouldn't have to make 2 different tx and rx's. Just one.

Even if your not using them now, it's just still nice to know you have them and if you wanna add something else later you can and you don't need to buy another tx and rx cause you have it. Thanks for posting pictures and letting us know. I bet there's other brands out there with the exact samething and people don't even know cause they never checked inside the thing like we did.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 06:24 PM
Slow flyer
Joined Sep 2009
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Plane View Post
Nice. Makes me wonder what other brands are like this too. I think the plane makers who offer both 4 and 6 channel tx and rx depending on the plane you buy(like Airfield they offer both 4 and 6 depending on the plane) really only make one tx and rx design. Just for the 4 channel they don't install the 5th and 6th channels. Would make sence, it would keep cost down. They wouldn't have to make 2 different tx and rx's. Just one.

Even if your not using them now, it's just still nice to know you have them and if you wanna add something else later you can and you don't need to buy another tx and rx cause you have it. Thanks for posting pictures and letting us know. I bet there's other brands out there with the exact samething and people don't even know cause they never checked inside the thing like we did.
After reading the first post I'm wondering if my Esky TXs are like this too and guess what, YES! my Big Lama Tx has the ch 5 and 6 but neither switch installed. Maybe I try make work the ch 5 and 6 later.

I opened the Esky Big Lama Tx and the Belt CP V2 Tx...
iDuke is offline Find More Posts by iDuke
Old Aug 04, 2010, 10:34 PM
United States, DE, Newark
Joined Mar 2010
67 Posts
Wow this thread is great, thanks for the mod I may be purchasing an aircraft that comes with this transmitter. http://www.nitroplanes.com/93a182-sk...g-v3-blue.html

How do you like the N4? Things like range, battery life, durability, size? I figure if it's a decent radio, I won't wait to save for something like a DX6i or the DX8 (which looks epic). lol :P

Any info is appreciated.
sean.belardo is offline Find More Posts by sean.belardo
Old Aug 05, 2010, 07:49 AM
Joined Jul 2010
307 Posts
The N4 seems like a durible tx. It's doesn't feel like a kids toy. It's got some weight to it. It's a bit sensitive. So go easy on the sticks. With the DX6i you could tame it down.

As far as range, I am not sure what the range is on these, but I have had my plane up about 200 feet high and probably another 300 feet away from me and it was fine. No problems what so ever. Don't quote me on this, but I thought I read somewhere that the range on these was 1000m or about 3000 feet. My plane is just an 800mm P51 so I don't think you could see it that far away. LOL I had a hard enough time seeing what it was doing it at a couple of hundred feet away.

Batteries, I just put new batteries in the N4 last week and I have flow just about everyday sence I put them in. I would still carry an extra set around just incase. It would suck to just get to the field and your batteries start to die. It would be a quick end to a day.

The DX6i is a way better transmitter and you can do alot more with it. I'm also saving for one. The N4 will work in the mean time. The N4 you have some options on it. But not much. Not like the DX6i. You can reverse the servos from the N4 transmitter. You have a switch for fixed wing or Delta. Then there's a switch for Mode1 and Mode2, depending on how you like your TX set. I prefer the throttle on the left stick not the right. So I am set at mode2. Thats it as far as settings.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 12:19 AM
USA, AZ
Joined Jun 2010
358 Posts
AH yes awesome to find this information. I am so glad I can fly 4 channel and work out fpv tilt at least also. My N4 came with Sky Trainer 182 from Nitroplanes.
For the radio. When I range tested by walking out in my desert I got almost near as far as my TOwer hobbies 6ch FM 72mhz with..this radio 380feet/115 meters.In flights Furthest turn back about 1000 feet.

I plan on using a 2.4ghz Patch. Using SMA plug to the board inside for external Various antenna's. The output power it says on the back to be 200mA to 300mA...hmm my Tower System 3000 puts out .75Watts and this one .2 to .3 and near same range ground test..with many trees. I have this in my Wing Dragon. And 72mhz In sky Trainer.

•Couple Questions. Can I hook up a car battery or motorcycle or pretty much no to 8x double AA's LOL. Only concern of mine now is, this will not fry the radio? Caps inside rated above 12 and 8xAA=12volts?

•Also RSSI. An RSSI pin on this XY400 DSSS. I am using N4 with that patch soon and OSD hopefully!-> to read me to RSSI

If i get cooking with options I will update Patch tests eventually/soon
Tankogen is offline Find More Posts by Tankogen
Old Aug 24, 2010, 03:46 PM
Joined Jul 2010
307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankogen View Post

•Couple Questions. Can I hook up a car battery or motorcycle or pretty much no to 8x double AA's LOL. Only concern of mine now is, this will not fry the radio? Caps inside rated above 12 and 8xAA=12volts?

If i get cooking with options I will update Patch tests eventually/soon
I don't see why not. I mean 1.5(1 AA battery) X 8 equals 12volts DC. Not something I would try, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. You should be able to wire in any 12vdc source to power the tx up. I use recharible batteries now. There's a plug right in the side of the transmitter for charging them so I don't even have to take them out and charge in the duracell charger. Just plug in the adapter I have. I just pick them up. I got the ones ment for cameras that have 2650mah rating. So they last longer.

BTW my 30 day warrenty is about up so I will be soldering the 3 pin header into the receiver and drilling the holes in the transmitteer for the singal pull switches. All ready to go. Have my swiyches soldered to the wires going to the plug ends. Have the 3 pin headers sitting here. Just waiting. I showed some local guys who have these tx and rx's and they are all so doing the same now.
Last edited by Ghost Plane; Aug 24, 2010 at 03:52 PM.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 08:02 PM
Joined Jul 2010
307 Posts
OK I finally soldered in the 2 3pin headers for channels 5 and 6 on the receiver. I'll tell ya, you have to remove the up rigth PCB or you'll never be able to solder in the 3 pin header for channel 5. You need to unsolder here. (Thanks Tankogen for the pic of the bottom. I edited it to show where to remove solder to unsolder the 2 boards). Remove solder from both sides of where the arrows are pointing to.

Once you get that unsoldered, you can go ahead and solder in your 3 pin headers for channels 5 and 6. Then resolder the PCB back together. Next you'll have to cut the case to allow the channels 5 and 6 to come out. See pictures below.

Once done with that you can drill your holes in the transmitter for your toggle switches. For the toggle switches you'll have to find the plug ends that plug into the transmitter board and solder the wires from it to the toggle switches. I am not sure what the plug ends are called. But there's 2 wires that will come off of it.

Took me about 30 minutes to get it done cause I didn't want to mess up the receiver unsoldering it. Take your time so you do not ripe off the traces from the PCB. If you do you'll be in trouble and have tio try and repair them somehow. Use a solder sucker. Here's some pictures of the converted receiver and transmitter.

This convertion will give you a fully functional channel 5 and 6. I will post a video of it working soon. My wife has my better camera. I tried to make one with my crappy camera I have here, but it is really dark, there's no sound so I can't explain what I am doing. So in a day or so if I remeber I will post a video of it working.

ETA: when putting the wires for the toggles switches in the transmitter, make sure they are long enough so you can run them up the middle then over to the toggle switches. You don't want the wires messing with the movment of the sticks. So run them up the middle and over to the switches. be care full putting the transmitter back together making sure the wires don't get in the way of any moving parts.
Last edited by Ghost Plane; Sep 02, 2010 at 10:50 PM. Reason: fixed dead images
Old Oct 19, 2010, 04:57 PM
Joined Jul 2010
307 Posts
I was doing some digging at the FCC web site using the FCC id on the back of the transmitter( V6KN-6 ) and I did find a users manual for the transmitter and receiver. Turns out both the N4 transmitter and N6 are for sure the exact same transmitters. Just the N4 which comes with the 800mm warbirds doesn't have channels 5 and 6 hooked up like I posted above. Here's the link to the FCC site which also has pictures of the transmitter internals and the user manual. Some other stuff too like the test setup photos and report. Pretty neat stuff.

https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/...id='V6KN-6'

The user manual would have helped out alot if Nitro planes would post it on there web site or atleast provide a copy of it when you buy the rtf planes that come with this TX and RX. I know they come already bound, but it's nice to know incase you have to bind them again for some reason.
Old Jan 08, 2011, 12:16 PM
United States, CA, Ukiah
Joined Jan 2011
266 Posts
n6

Thank you so much, I have been digging around for any information on the airfield n6 and this is the best I have seen.
devinvagt is offline Find More Posts by devinvagt
Old Jan 08, 2011, 02:13 PM
United States, CA, Ukiah
Joined Jan 2011
266 Posts
different model n6

I have a different version of the n6 transmitter, FCC ID is V6KCY246.
No binding button! There is a space on the pc board where a button could be soldered in, but none was. There are three connections, labeled G,+, and unmarked. I believe this is to set a pin on the main chip to high or low, but I don't know which is the normal setting and which the bind. On the other side of the pc board there are five other solder points that may or may not be important. If anyone can provide information on which leads are connnected I would be most grateful.
(Sorry for posting twice, I couldn't figure out how to reference the first post).
photos:
devinvagt is offline Find More Posts by devinvagt
Last edited by devinvagt; Jan 08, 2011 at 02:30 PM.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 03:19 PM
Joined Jul 2010
307 Posts
Here's where the bind button is on my TX. 4 pins on this button. 3 of the 4 pins go to ground. The 4th pin on the bind button goes to pin 30 on the atmega8. So it looks like when you press the button it grounds pin 30 on the atmega8. If you look at picture 1. The pin in the botton right on the bind button(marked with a red dot) is the one which goes to pin30 on the atmega8.
Last edited by Ghost Plane; Jan 12, 2011 at 03:37 PM.