HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 28, 2010, 05:01 PM
NITRO !
United States, MI, Marysville
Joined Apr 2010
2,520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken Wings View Post
I don't think that's the case but anything labed "High Performance" is normally "you buy, you own it.

I'd be mad at my self too....
Yes, certainly. I was talking about the "power enhancements by Jett"... voiding the warranty clause. Hence the warranty expired before you get the engine.
Of course that is all quite normal and rational . Most folks can grasp that.
Jett is a quality operation.
Gary Cee is offline Find More Posts by Gary Cee
Last edited by Gary Cee; Jul 28, 2010 at 05:09 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 28, 2010, 05:03 PM
Joined Oct 2004
1,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by b7gwap View Post
That is cool! What scale is it? Is it the FF240 or the FF320? I like the yellow floats.
This is the FF240. The 320 came out shortly after I purchased the 240.
Either engine is far more power than the 1/4 scale Sig cub requires.
This allows you to run the engine at a scale like rpm.

Also, thanks to all for the compliments!
706jim is offline Find More Posts by 706jim
Old Jul 28, 2010, 05:12 PM
NITRO !
Joined Apr 2010
2,520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 706jim View Post
And that contributes so much to the overall experience.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 05:14 PM
United States, FL, Cocoa
Joined Jan 2006
1,445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Cee View Post
Yes, certainly. I was talking about the "power enhancements by Jett"... voiding the warranty clause. Hence the warranty expired before you get the engine.
Of course that is all quite normal and rational . Most folks can grasp that.
Jett is a quality operation.
I love Jett Engineering Products!!!

I have one of thier 90L engines and one of the first Big Block Cast Case 1.20's with the needle valve still on carburetor. Both of them will "create a breeze"...
Broken Wings is online now Find More Posts by Broken Wings
Old Jul 28, 2010, 05:17 PM
United States, FL, Cocoa
Joined Jan 2006
1,445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 706jim View Post
This is the FF240. The 320 came out shortly after I purchased the 240.

Also, thanks to all for the compliments!
One of these days I'd like to own one....

Maybe I'll get lucky and find one at a "going all electric" sale...
Old Jul 28, 2010, 06:49 PM
TEAM BOCA
United States, IA, Muscatine
Joined Oct 2009
1,592 Posts
Dont you know that Merco is obsolete!!! It cant possibly fly any kind of plane.
You should send it to me for proper recycling.
Just like my OS.20RC that is in my HOB Mustang. And to think I would have to actually use fuel with more than 17% lube in it, and some castor!! Ugh. I had better go with an electric motor .
jeffie8696 is offline Find More Posts by jeffie8696
Old Jul 28, 2010, 08:16 PM
NITRO !
Joined Apr 2010
2,520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffie8696 View Post
Dont you know that Merco is obsolete!!! It cant possibly fly any kind of plane.
You should send it to me for proper recycling.
Just like my OS.20RC that is in my HOB Mustang. And to think I would have to actually use fuel with more than 17% lube in it, and some castor!! Ugh. I had better go with an electric motor .
The Merco was a very popular engine around here, seems like yesterday. Almost an exotic air about them when they first started showing up.

One of my all time favorites (when I still flew all 2S) was the wonderful HB 40 and 60. I think HB may have made parts for K&B at one time as well.

The last HB that I owned was given to a blind ham radio friend up in Ohio. He was a real gear haed and had engines tractors etc of all types. He loved the sounds, smell and vibrations of running engines. His wife told me he loved to sit behind the prop wash and take the whole thing in.

Next time you run one, close your eyes and think of old Sam.
Simple pleasures we all take for granted.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 08:29 PM
United States, FL, Cocoa
Joined Jan 2006
1,445 Posts
One of my favorite engines of all time. I still fly mine. You can buy a new one in the box from Mecoa.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 08:41 PM
NITRO !
Joined Apr 2010
2,520 Posts
BW,
What size are the drone engines ? Can you tell us more about the Red Head ?
Old Jul 28, 2010, 08:48 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,594 Posts
@706Jim:

Hi Jim, is your Cub indeed a "Sig 1/4 Scale Cub"?

Reason I ask is because I have seen one cub in person with a Pegasus and the engine looked tiny in it. I have read posts ad nauseum that the Pegasus has NO correct size airplane for it, in particular a Cub.

However, yours looks perfect! Like the airplane was custom built to match the engine.

I would like to know for sure if it is the Sig 1/4 scaler? And if that is the case, would 'any' 1/4 scale Cub fit the engine as well?

Thanks!

The nice thing about a Jett engine, is that if you need it serviced/repaired it is done by the same guy who designed it, and assembled it by hand. Try that with just about any other engine!
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Jul 28, 2010, 09:16 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,124 Posts
I used a HB 40 PDP years ago for Quickie 500 racing, when the rules stated it had to be a baffle port engine, but it didn't have to be a K&B 40. later they restricted it more to K&B 40 engines only, no PDP porting.

My all time favorite engine is the FOX Hawk 60. I broke it in on a large Dumas Airboat. Then it was on a Top Flite Contender, then a Kaos 60, then on three Atlas 60 pattern planes and I finally wore out the bearings on its third Curare pattern plane using a tuned pipe. it still runs great, and idles great though. I just never replaced the bearings as I had two more Hawk 60's and several of the Eagle II's, III's to use instead.
I probably ran 100 gallons of fuel through this engine, maybe a lot more though, I wasn't keeping track. But when practicing I could use up a gallon for each day I flew.
I actually had planes crack and start to come apart, as well as having to repair or replace servos a lot back then. The feedback pots would wear out on you back then. The best servos back then were the Pro-Lines with the Gestetner feedback wiper arms and pots. The servos were expensive, but they weren't as integrated as they are today, so you could open them up and replace things, like feedback pots, wiper arms, motors, etc. The red anodizing is mostly worn off of the engine too. This was the early shiny case version before they started bead blasting them which gave them the darker gray color.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by earlwb; Jul 28, 2010 at 09:22 PM.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 09:25 PM
NITRO !
Joined Apr 2010
2,520 Posts
Ah yes, the ProLine servos were pretty much based on the Kraft 15C as I recall. I think it was Geitzendaner or something like that who made the carbon button pot wipers. Didn't take long for the OEM wipers (CTS???) to make the servos nervous.

That Fox of yours sure has some miles and memories on it. Pick up an engine like that at a garage sale and you often wish they could talk. Just think of the stories they hold.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 10:57 PM
Joined Oct 2004
1,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmot View Post
@706Jim:

Hi Jim, is your Cub indeed a "Sig 1/4 Scale Cub"?

Reason I ask is because I have seen one cub in person with a Pegasus and the engine looked tiny in it. I have read posts ad nauseum that the Pegasus has NO correct size airplane for it, in particular a Cub.

However, yours looks perfect! Like the airplane was custom built to match the engine.

I would like to know for sure if it is the Sig 1/4 scaler? And if that is the case, would 'any' 1/4 scale Cub fit the engine as well?

Thanks!
It's interesting that you should ask about the size of the aircraft.

I bought the engine first and then looked for a plane to build for it. A friend had plans for a Bob Nelitz 1/3 scale Cub but the engine would have been far too small. Perhaps this is what you have observed.

However, the 1/4 scale Cub (mine is a Sig, but the Balsa USA version would be similar) is sized such that the distance across the cylinder heads is nearly perfect with the Pegasus 240. The distance from the front of the leading cylinder to the back of the rear cylinder is slightly longer that the full scale Continental engine (which is really pretty small if you get to see one on an actual full scale Cub), I moved the firewall back about 3/4" to get the prop in the correct location. (BTW, a 1200mah NiCad pack is located about 6" behind the wing trailing edge to balance the weight of this fairly heavy engine).
This decided it for me. The scale looks really close once the whole package is together. I also elected to leave the sheet metal deflectors off of my plane to better show off the engine.

One last refinement would be to get a set of Keleo Creations exhausts for the plane. These would dump the exhaust out of the bottom of the cowling and would keep the fuselage a lot cleaner as those 4 open pipes really coat the fuse with oil.

Back in 1990, I (bravely!) sent this plane up with a Sony Handycam mounted behind the windshield to create an on-board video. (This would be much easier now with the tiny cameras that are available.)
The result was most interesting as you can't hear the propeller from inside of the aircraft, but just the (beautiful!!) sound of the Pegasus engine.
Someday I'm going to make a digital copy of this video and post it on YouTube.
706jim is offline Find More Posts by 706jim
Old Jul 28, 2010, 11:19 PM
Adelaide, South Australia
Joined Sep 2003
3,082 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Cee View Post
I did not exclude CL planes from "flying on the wing.Not even close. Nice try but that was a follow up, second sentence . I said the CL mentality was ALSO fading away...My reference to round and round . Not mutually inclusive of the "flying on the wing " sentence that preceeded it.
OK, that explains what you meant a little better. My impression was that you were referring to all CL planes as the proverbial "brick on a string" .

Some modellers though do like to have a slight excess of power....
downunder is offline Find More Posts by downunder
Old Jul 29, 2010, 12:18 AM
Joined May 2004
675 Posts
[QUOTE=Broken Wings;15653813]I don't think that's the case but anything labed "High Performance" is normally "you buy, you own it".

In years past I have owned several motorcycles that came from the factory with a decal affixed to the fender stating :" This competition motorcycle carries no warranty." I may not have the quote exactly as printed, but the meaning was clear, and the reason was I thought) obvious.

As even the "highest performance" model engine is far less expensive than a competition motorcycle I do not think it at all unreasonable that they not be guaranteed by the manufacturer.

jess
Jessiej is offline Find More Posts by Jessiej