Balsa Lover
Vienna, Austria
Joined Jul 2010
756 Posts
Build Log
Taylorcraft (Herr Engineering) converted to RC

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this forum, so be patient

For a start i'd like to do a build log of my RC conversion of a 18" Taylorcraft that i started this weekend. It's a rubber-powered stick and tissue kit by Herr Engineering, laser-cut and a dream to build. I built two Fokker D.VII from the same company before.
gupi is offline Find More Posts by gupi
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 28, 2010, 02:22 AM
Balsa Lover
Vienna, Austria
Joined Jul 2010
756 Posts
Forgot to add that all RC components are taken out of a PZ Sukhoi since i was not so excited about her flying performance.
The Sukhoi always felt underpowered and always had to fly at full throttle which drains the battery far too fast for my liking. The Kyosho Christen Eagle is much more fun to fly.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 02:16 PM
Lifetime Member
Providence, RI, USA
Joined Dec 1996
2,602 Posts
Looking great so far, thanks for sharing

John
JohnM is offline Find More Posts by JohnM
Old Aug 11, 2010, 11:41 AM
Greensboro, NC
Joined Jul 2002
780 Posts
Hey Gupi,
Thanks for posting.
I have one of these kits.
Matt

PS I really want to see a video when you finish.
Matt D. is offline Find More Posts by Matt D.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 12:44 PM
Playing with AutoCAD!
United States, ME
Joined Oct 2008
2,651 Posts
Gupi,

I've been following along with all of your builds. This one looks very nice. It should be lots of fun. Plus, it's refreshing to see such a nicely built, light airframe.

Have you seen this build? It's not much different than yours. The video is here.

Matt,

You've been roaming around here too long! You better get back to building!

How is that gem of a Cessna holding up?

-Kody
PiperCub49 is offline Find More Posts by PiperCub49
Old Aug 11, 2010, 05:11 PM
Balsa Lover
Vienna, Austria
Joined Jul 2010
756 Posts
Kody,

Thanks. I didn't see the build log, it looks really nice.

Matt,

I'll try to provide a video.

gupi
Last edited by gupi; Aug 11, 2010 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Correcting typo
Old Aug 12, 2010, 12:15 AM
Balsa Lover
Vienna, Austria
Joined Jul 2010
756 Posts
Time for a reality check on the scale: 31 grams without prop and cover. So it'll be more like 35 to 40 grams instead of 30g (like i hoped).
Old Aug 12, 2010, 01:47 PM
Greensboro, NC
Joined Jul 2002
780 Posts
Matt,

You've been roaming around here too long! You better get back to building!

How is that gem of a Cessna holding up?

-Kody[/QUOTE]

Kody,
Yeah I know, I'm trying to get my inspiration. I see that you have really increased your skill tremendously. I saw that biplane you built. Is there a thread on that?
Cessna is still alive but back in the shop. I have removed all the heavy covering and might put on tissue since we saw the other guillows model that looked so good with it.
Matt
Matt D. is offline Find More Posts by Matt D.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 08:33 PM
Playing with AutoCAD!
United States, ME
Joined Oct 2008
2,651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D. View Post
Kody,
Yeah I know, I'm trying to get my inspiration. I see that you have really increased your skill tremendously. I saw that biplane you built. Is there a thread on that?
Cessna is still alive but back in the shop. I have removed all the heavy covering and might put on tissue since we saw the other guillows model that looked so good with it.
Matt
Matt,

I know exactly what you mean about inspiration. It's really the same as art, especially with these small planes: no inspiration means no motivation.

Thank you. I feel that I have gained a lot of skill from the build with my Cessna (thanks to a few very nice, patient , and skilled modelers like you) and my builds after that, but there is, of course, a long way to go. One of the most challenging things that I did on the peanut was the rigging. Those pictures are at the end of the thread here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1180458.

Supposedly, RA Microlite is far lighter than Coverite/Solite. Was the covering yellowing or wrinkling on your Cessna? It has done both on mine. I would definately agree that a nicely done tissue job is beautiful. There's just nothing like it!

(Gupi- I figured that these things could be relevant to your build. That is why I chose to post my reply here instead of taking in up in PM.)

-PC49
PiperCub49 is offline Find More Posts by PiperCub49
Last edited by PiperCub49; Aug 12, 2010 at 08:43 PM.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 04:50 AM
Balsa Lover
Vienna, Austria
Joined Jul 2010
756 Posts
P49,

That little DH-6 looks really awesome!

@Covering: i'll cover the Taylorcraft with tissue and dope like my other planes. I really like this old-style cover.

gupi
Old Aug 18, 2010, 01:00 AM
Balsa Lover
Vienna, Austria
Joined Jul 2010
756 Posts
Update: this build is stalled a bit since i started to build the prototype Fokker F.II for Peter Rake.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1289000

But the Taylorcraft's next step would be covering, so I think I'll wait until the Fokker is ready to cover, too. It won't very long because the build is coming along very nicely.

gupi