HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Fish99, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 01:56 PM
Flying addicted and lovin it!
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,741 Posts
I have been using Turnigy and Blue Lipo bats, up to 2200 in the PZ Spitfire and had no problem with weight. I liked the extra C output and corresponding extra power they higher C batterys gave over the Parkzone Lipos as I was running the BL motor that could handle the extra umph.

I stuck with the EC3 connectors, as I find them to be easy to solder and saved me changing all my bats and ESC's. (I have nothing but HH products right now.)

And Hog Pen, never a concern over stealing blogger-thunder, it's just nice to see folks chatting about the PZ Spitty!

Marlin
Fish99 is offline Find More Posts by Fish99
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 27, 2010, 08:39 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
if you decide to go with Deans, you would also change your NiMh pack(s) to the Deans, so you could still use those. there's nothing wrong with the EC3 connectors at all, but I change all my connectors over to Deans, so I can swap between planes if need be. it just makes it easier on me. a lot of my higher power setups require Deans or better, which is why I changed over to almost completely Deans connectors. if you just have a few planes with the EC3, then stick with that, but if you plan on getting mulitple planes, then Deans is the way to go IMHO. plus, my charge came with all Deans connectors, so it was a no brainer, really. LOL.
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Dec 27, 2010, 08:49 PM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
Thanks, guys. So...did I have it wrong about the stock NiMH battery connectors...I thought they were mini Tamiya...
The Hog Pen is offline Find More Posts by The Hog Pen
Old Dec 27, 2010, 09:04 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
not sure what they are to be honest. as soon as I got the plane, I cut them off and threw them out and didn't really pay too much attention to what they were. hey, at least I'm honest. LMAO.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 09:20 PM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
LOL...

Since the stock, 3ch version is my first aileron plane...and first plane bigger than a micro...I hate to say it...but I'm almost a little scared to fly it every time. I get nervous, because it's so damn beautiful. Don't get me wrong...I still fly it, and it flies smoother than a micro...but it's SO PRETTY! I've only run about 6 packs through it...and only crashed it once, due to an equipment error.

BAH!!! I'm hijacking again...I keep thinking of this thead as the Spitty-Love thread...sorry!
Old Dec 27, 2010, 10:31 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,741 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hog Pen View Post
LOL...

Since the stock, 3ch version is my first aileron plane...and first plane bigger than a micro...I hate to say it...but I'm almost a little scared to fly it every time. I get nervous, because it's so damn beautiful. Don't get me wrong...I still fly it, and it flies smoother than a micro...but it's SO PRETTY! I've only run about 6 packs through it...and only crashed it once, due to an equipment error.

BAH!!! I'm hijacking again...I keep thinking of this thead as the Spitty-Love thread...sorry!
I think it really is a SPITTY anything THREAD so hi-jack away! (Still my favorite plane!) I actually tossed my NiMH batteries and went to a LIPO early on with this plane. It's probably the quickest upgrade you can make. I did have to fashion up a little adapter to plug the EC3 LIPOS into the old Rx, but after MODING the SPITTY to Brushless and putting in an Eflite ESC that was no longer needed. (I keep it and the old Rx around for testing out servos, and such, but that's about it.)

I like the Deans as well, seems like lots of other companies use them. I have 5 planes on EC3's right now and all my hardware is set up for EC3 so I think I am with that for a bit ... may have to think of switching over if I ever buy anything NOT from Horizon Hobby but their products are just SOOOO nice it's hard to say no to them. (Easy setup, very good quality nice flyers DSM2 ready, everything I use.)

Who knows though, maybe someday,

Marlin
Old Dec 27, 2010, 10:49 PM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
LOL...cool then. I actually like the power it has stock...but that's because I'm still use to my little slow(ish) Champ. I generally fly 50%-70% throttle for cruising around...because the plane covers so much ground...err...air at WOT. I'm also making a few wide circles at 1/4 trottle to scrub off air speed to get my landings softer. Like I said...I'm still very new to this!
Old Dec 27, 2010, 11:38 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
my Spitty feels light with the LiPo in it. not sure, since I never flew it with the NiMh and it's still brand new in its package. LOL. might have a use for it some day, I suppose. I doubt you'll notice any difference in flight characteristics with the LiPo, except it'll power out much better.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 11:42 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,741 Posts
The LIPO is in fact a lighter battery than the NiMH, while at the same time providing more power. Doesn't really mess up the CoG too much either though you will probably need to add a couple clicks of DOWN trim to the elevator, as the nose is a bit lighter. (I did) The 2200 mah packs fit in nicely and though still lighter than the stock NiMH are heavier than the 1800 packs they recommend, so a bit closer to stock weight. Again, noticeable performance increase.

Have fun gents,

Marlin
Old Dec 27, 2010, 11:47 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
I've read that you can also add a piece of cardboard between the wing and the saddle to decrease the wing incidence. that should alleviate any nose up tendencies associated with using the LiPo. I haven't tried that mod yet, but apparently it works and, it's in the works for my Spitty mods too.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 12:08 AM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
I may actually go into the skeleton, and add a couple more plastistruct I-beam setions to reinforce what is (IMO) the worst part of the entire model's design. They add rigidity, and a deep enough impact will relieve some of the force through flexion, or at worst, snapping the glue-joint(s). Should add enough grams to balance it back out, and hopefully make that part a little stronger for those 'uh-oh' moments.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 01:42 AM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
I saw that someone actually stripped down the model and built the whole skeleton out of light ply instead. it would weigh about the same, but also be incredibly stronger than the plastic. that's an option too.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 03:16 PM
RC plane addict ;-)
United Kingdom, England, Norwich
Joined Aug 2008
1,802 Posts
Yeah i've seen that mod to the frame as well and did want to try that one my self but wasn't sure what my wood work would be like now days oh Hog Pen you were right about the old spitty connectors which are mini Tamiya and i'm the same as LuvEvolution7 as all my connectors are now all Deans plus it makes life easy for me because my battery chargers use them plus a have a few other models that use them so i changed my four PZ warbirds over to them as well oh plus the PZ stryker

I read on a UK forum again today that PZ might be bring out a new and updated Spitfire but thats not new news but i just like to think it would be sooner rather than later,but the comment did come from this forum and from a HH worker so lets hope it's sooner.
Us poor boys other here in the UK are still waiting on the PZ P-47 thunderbolt which HH,UK are now telling us they should be in our LHS around January 6th and it's killing me as i've been waiting for this one since i first found out about it and saw it on the HH YouTube channel,you know what will happen though i'll get one and then won't be able to fly it for a week or so because of bad weather
I think i better stop writing now as i've gone on a bit.
startazz is online now Find More Posts by startazz
Old Dec 29, 2010, 04:52 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,741 Posts
I think the P-47 is going to be a MUST buy for me as well, as I wait on the new PZ Spitfire with retracts/flap options! (I am still hoping on that one for the spring!) Waiting till spring on the P-47 as well as I would want to get the retracts and the 3 or 4 feet of snow we have does not lend itself to wheel landings here!

I think the idea of a wood frame made form balsa based on the Spitty airframe is a great one, just don't imagine I have the skills to do it. That said, I think that would be a fun winter project. If you take it on Hog you have to snap pictures and post them so we can follow!

Marlin
Old Dec 29, 2010, 06:12 PM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
Yeah right...I'm not doing any wood-mods...that's for sure!

I like the THunderbolt as well...but I may end up getting the Airfield model. I hear they are good, and less than half the cost.