HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Fish99, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 12:39 AM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
Got an original 27mhz, totally stock Spitfire...so...I'm watching this tread...lol
The Hog Pen is offline Find More Posts by The Hog Pen
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 23, 2010, 02:04 AM
Flying addicted and lovin it!
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,667 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hog Pen View Post
Got an original 27mhz, totally stock Spitfire...so...I'm watching this tread...lol
I am jealous! I am toying with the idea of scowering the net for a fuse and wing. (Can get a tail fin and wing off a fellow in Ontario Canada, just no Fuse anywhere unless you want to pay the extra bucks for the electronics ... I love the way the PZ Spitfire flies, and Ian's glassing is amazing, but it will add up to a pretty penny for an old tech foam body belly lander ... we'll see if I can wait out for the new Spitfire PZ may well be putting out ...
Fish99 is offline Find More Posts by Fish99
Old Dec 23, 2010, 09:25 AM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
LOL...thanks. Even with the old electronics, it flies like a pussycat.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 02:55 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,667 Posts
Perfect WINTER flying day today, -17C but calm and sunny blue sky! Had my P-51 BL out and put a couple packs through it, belly flopping it into the snow and couple packs through my Stinson on skis ... but it was just not right without the eliptical wings of a Spitfire zooming around the park! I don't know if I can wait this one out! Onto the net tonight to try again to find a fuse only ... the Spitfire envy is killing me!
Old Dec 23, 2010, 11:51 PM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
Hey guys...still watching this thread. I have to ask...with my bone-stock Spit...I'm thinking o upgrading to a lipo. I read the "teach in" instructions...seems easy enough, even though I have no idea what 70% cutoff is. I'd continue to fly the NiMH batteries...but the stock PZ charger is so damn unpredictable...one day, I'm flying all afternoon...the next, batteries won't peak, and I'm digging fence post holes.
Old Dec 24, 2010, 12:40 AM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,667 Posts
Quote:
Hey guys...still watching this thread. I have to ask...with my bone-stock Spit...I'm thinking o upgrading to a lipo. I read the "teach in" instructions...seems easy enough, even though I have no idea what 70% cutoff is. I'd continue to fly the NiMH batteries...but the stock PZ charger is so damn unpredictable...one day, I'm flying all afternoon...the next, batteries won't peak, and I'm digging fence post holes.
One of the easiest and best upgrades you can do is to move to the LIPO battery from the NiMH Hog. It will give you more power and speed, longer flight times and much more reliable battery life at much less weight! If you get into any other type of flying at all (and this hobby is like CRACK ... you will) you will be moving to LIPO's anyway, so you might as well bite the bullet and buy an 1800 maH Lipo and charger and go from there. I picked up the little adapter to go from the STOCK plug end (can't recall the name) to EC3 connector and you're good to go. I actually am STILL using the Parkzone 2-3 cell LIPO charger that came in the BNF ME 109. Loads of people don't like those supplied chargers but I have a couple and they are working fine for me.

Seriously, easy upgrade and worth the outlay. If you are in need of some old tech hardware from the original Spitty fit up let me know, I kept all my old stuff after upgrading and can throw it in the mail to you if I still have it. (I use the old receiver / ESC brick to test servos right now, but that's about it.)

I no longer get Parkzone batteries as they are too over-priced. I was getting Turnigy's from Hobby King, but found the Blue Lipos from hobbypartz.com to be better. Shipping is cheaper and quicker, batteries are smaller in weight and size for the same or better specs. You get the Red banana connectors but I buy bulk EC3 connects and simply solder them on when I get the batteries. Lots of folks use the DEANS but I actually like the Horizon Hobby EC3 connectors better. Look on EBAY and you will find a few folks that sell the EC3's in packages of 5 or 10 pairs of Male and Females cheap.

Let me know if I can help in any way, and good luck.

Marlin
Old Dec 24, 2010, 12:46 AM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,667 Posts
Quote:
Oh yeah ... 70% cut off is the Low Voltage Cutoff (LVC) that is VERY important when using LIPO's. Lipos are great batteries in that you can charge them and let them sit on the bench for weeks, no issues still at 100% charge when you go to use them. No need to re-peak them. Also, they do NOT develop any sort of battery memory, so if you only use them to 80% they are still fine, charge after charge. The only problem is that IF you drain them much below about 70% they WILL NOT take a charge properly after, and you can basically BIN the battery after that. For that reason most ESC (electronic speed controllers) have the feature that CUTS OFF the supply of power to the motor at about 70%. (In some ESC's you can choose higher levels) This prevents you from damaging the battery. It still lets you run the servos for the dead stick landing, but that's it.

Some ESC's, including the one in the Spitfire, will PULSE when you are approaching the cutoff, so when you are flying around the engine will start to PULSE in RPM's and you know you have 30 to 60 seconds or so before you hit the LVC and have to dead stick. Handy feature.

Hope that helps,

Marlin
Old Dec 24, 2010, 12:52 AM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
With that upgrade...does the CoG shift back a bit like the manual says?

...and this is RANDOM here...but what are the chances you have an extra rx crystal for the 27mhz, ch4?

Anyway...I have little lipo's on my smaller planes...My Champ, and my monstrosity semi-scratch-build micro I call the "Ghetto-Bird 5000".

*You don't wanna know about that one...lol

On a serious note...looking at all the planes out there...all I can think about is the Spit...all of them...I WANT ALL OF THEM!!!
Old Dec 24, 2010, 12:55 AM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish99 View Post
Oh yeah ... 70% cut off is the Low Voltage Cutoff (LVC) that is VERY important when using LIPO's. Lipos are great batteries in that you can charge them and let them sit on the bench for weeks, no issues still at 100% charge when you go to use them. No need to re-peak them. Also, they do NOT develop any sort of battery memory, so if you only use them to 80% they are still fine, charge after charge. The only problem is that IF you drain them much below about 70% they WILL NOT take a charge properly after, and you can basically BIN the battery after that. For that reason most ESC (electronic speed controllers) have the feature that CUTS OFF the supply of power to the motor at about 70%. (In some ESC's you can choose higher levels) This prevents you from damaging the battery. It still lets you run the servos for the dead stick landing, but that's it.

Some ESC's, including the one in the Spitfire, will PULSE when you are approaching the cutoff, so when you are flying around the engine will start to PULSE in RPM's and you know you have 30 to 60 seconds or so before you hit the LVC and have to dead stick. Handy feature.

Hope that helps,

Marlin
Uh-oh...I think I accidentally told my TX to switch to 70% cut off with the NiMH...that would explain my 6 second flight times...and subsequent 3 hour rebuild/restore times...lol
Old Dec 24, 2010, 01:03 AM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,667 Posts
Quote:

...and this is RANDOM here...but what are the chances you have an extra rx crystal for the 27mhz, ch4?

Anyway...I have little lipo's on my smaller planes...My Champ, and my monstrosity semi-scratch-build micro I call the "Ghetto-Bird 5000".

On a serious note...looking at all the planes out there...all I can think about is the Spit...all of them...I WANT ALL OF THEM!!!
Gonna go out to the garage and check the channel right now ... get right back to you ...

Marlin
Old Dec 24, 2010, 01:06 AM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,667 Posts
Quote:

Sorry my friend, mine is CH1 ... did you blow up the Rx on yours?

Marlin
Old Dec 24, 2010, 09:29 AM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish99 View Post
Sorry my friend, mine is CH1 ... did you blow up the Rx on yours?

Marlin
No...but my old 27mhz TX for my old PZ Mustang crapped the bed...so I was going to swap crystals over to use my Spit's TX with it.

No biggie...thanks!
Old Dec 26, 2010, 10:46 PM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
Hey guys...not to steal any bloggish-thunder...but I'm thinking about adding one of these lipos to the (bone stock) spit: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=6306

Once I cut off the XT60, and solder on a new mini tamiya connector...the weight will literally be within a few grams, and the size will be slightly smaller, but able to belt in to the velcro easily. From what I undersatnd, the 10.8v to 11.1v difference is negligible, and compatible.

What do you think?
Old Dec 27, 2010, 02:22 AM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
good battery choice, but if I were you, I'de go with Deans connectors, rather than the mini's, because they allow more current to flow with the least resistance. you can't beat these connectors in moderate to higher amp/watt setups, IMHO.
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Dec 27, 2010, 02:43 AM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvEvolution7 View Post
good battery choice, but if I were you, I'de go with Deans connectors, rather than the mini's, because they allow more current to flow with the least resistance. you can't beat these connectors in moderate to higher amp/watt setups, IMHO.
Then I'd hafta cut off the stock ESC/RX plug...and my old school NiMH bats would be useless...right?