SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Fish99, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 05, 2010, 01:03 PM
RC plane addict ;-)
United Kingdom, England, Norwich
Joined Aug 2008
1,783 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish99 View Post
That looks INCREDIBLE Ian! Excellent job my friend, and thanks for posting those pics. You definitely need to put a vid on YouTube describing what and how you did in this mod.

I very much like your re-paint and the invasion stripes, it looks great. Very nice touch with your own decals as well, you can't even tell it's a parkzone bird. Did you keep the plastic covering on it that came with it, or re-cover it somehow? I can't tell as it looks VERY smooth!

You have to let me know how it flys my friend. Again, GREAT JOB!

Marlin
Thanks Marlin and i'm glad you noticed i put another covering over her i used 0.6oz glassfibre fabric and i used Poly-c to apply the glassfibre from RCWorld LTD (http://www.rcworld.co.uk/acatalog/Poly_C.html) but it's the same as clear vanish i've got in my shead lol but they say it isn't, all i can say on that is it might have a touch more wood glue added to it so as it sticks better but i'll be using it again on my P-51 Mustang when i do her and i'll try Polly-C on one part and normal varnish on another and we will see but Poly-C does look the same,milky white in the bottle but it dries clear just like varnish which is ann added bonus if you don't want to paint after you use it.
I also gave her a light sanding all over with 400/800 grit sand paper to get the finish i wanted with the paint but Poly-C does dry really smoth,oh and i did leave the parkzone covering on but wish i had took it off now as the underneath of the wing near the servos could of been better.

Thanks for the great comment Marlin and i'll be working on that video tomorrow night if all goes well.

Ian
startazz is offline Find More Posts by startazz
Last edited by startazz; Dec 05, 2010 at 01:34 PM. Reason: left a word out
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 05, 2010, 01:38 PM
Flying addicted and lovin it!
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,736 Posts
Amazing Ian! That must have been a TON of work but boy did it pay off with a nice finish! Great stuff. Now you got me thinking about re-doing my bird AGAIN! Did you cover the fuselage as well as the wings, or just the wings?

Marlin
Fish99 is offline Find More Posts by Fish99
Old Dec 07, 2010, 06:13 PM
RC plane addict ;-)
Joined Aug 2008
1,783 Posts
Hi Marlin,i did both the wing and the fuse mate and here is that video,not to good because i lost some pictures when uploading to my laptop

Glassing a ParkZone Spitfire with Poly-C (5 min 16 sec)
Old Dec 07, 2010, 06:48 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,736 Posts
That was a GREAT how to video Ian! I learned a TON from that. Did you cover the fuselage in one piece of cloth? If you get a chance to explain how you did that it would be awesome as I am MAJOR impressed with this and really want to think about doing something similar to my Spitfire. It just looks SOOO clean, simply outstanding!

Thanks again for sharing the vid and info my friend, this was great!

Marlin
Old Dec 08, 2010, 09:34 AM
RC plane addict ;-)
Joined Aug 2008
1,783 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish99 View Post
That was a GREAT how to video Ian! I learnt a TON from that. Did you cover the fuselage in one piece of cloth? If you get a chance to explain how you did that it would be awesome as I am MAJOR impressed with this and really want to think about doing something similar to my Spitfire. It just looks SOOO clean, simply outstanding!

Thanks again for sharing the vid and info my friend, this was great!

Marlin
Thanks mate your a true gent no i used two bits of cloth one on each side of the fuse and gave them both about six coats of Poly-C each but i did get a bit of an edge on the top and bottom but the Poly-C and cloth sand down really well mate when it goes off so you don't see it after that plus the spray cans i used for the main colour was just a grey undercoat but you can also buy a undercoat sealer in the same colour but you shouldn't need that i wouldn't of thought.
The reason i went with just the grey undercoat for my main colour is because i couldn't get the grey i wanted in a matt finish to match the black plus i used a white undercoat as well so it all came together well,but i did spray the colours in a line next to each other to make sure they matched down a scrap bit of foam plus to make sure it was safe to use and it was fine but the clear lacquer was a different matter as it did eat away at the foam under the wing were your hand grip the plane when you launch it,but that was fine as the plastic cover hid that so i'd say do make sure you still use foam safe paint just for little spots like that.

If you need any more info on anything i did mate i'll be only to happy to share with you as thats what make this hobby so damn good,you can find/get the info you need from each other.

Speak to you soon Marlin

Ian.
Old Dec 08, 2010, 09:47 AM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,736 Posts
Thanks for this ... I feel much better armed to try this out. Man your Spitty looks nice! I love that glassed look, it looks like a MUCH more expensive model.

Again, I greatly appreciate your advice and help on this.

Marlin
Old Dec 08, 2010, 09:52 AM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,736 Posts
FYI, my WATT meter arrived last night and I static tested my 35-36 with the 10x6 prop. I was at about 35 Amps and not quite WOT when I pulled the pin and shut down the test! I will be swapping out the ESC for a much stronger one right away, as I purchased a new 60 A esc with the Meter. It will either go in the Spitfire or in my 109, not sure. I will have a look at the motor specs on the 35-36 and my 109's Monsterpower 15 again, see which has the higher potential Amp draw, and use it there.

Right now my 109 is drawing about 36 Amps, WOT, so it's good with the 40 A esc that is in it. As such, I might bench test the Spitfire with the 35-36 in it and the 10x7 prop, see what kind of amp draw I get. It might make sense to keep the 60 A ESC in the Spitfire. Man that bird will be fast. Have to do up a NEW wing with a CF rod, like Ian's above, to be safe! Man his glass job on the spitfire impressed me!

Marlin
Old Dec 09, 2010, 12:37 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,736 Posts
Ian,

I hope you don't mind, but I put a plug in on the Parkzone Warbirds thread to get people to come have a look at your work on this thread. A lot of the crew there are doing re-works on their birds and I just thought they HAD to see what you did. It's too good to not show off.

You should post some material on your BLOG on the how to steps, etc. with vid links and I would GLADLY point people at it who are interested in this. You can't argue with results, probably the BEST re-do of a PZ Spitfire I have seen to date.

Anyhow, just letting you know, hope you don't mind.

Marlin
Old Dec 09, 2010, 07:38 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
just wondering if the Poly-C product is available in Canada, or if there's a substitute that could be used. I know it's a water based Polyurethane, so wondering what could be used in its place if it's not available.

Rich
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Dec 09, 2010, 07:51 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,736 Posts
I haven't had a chance to look for it. It's a product in the UK that Ian used, but there MUST be something similar in the LHS around here, or online. I am almost DEFINITELY going to do this so I think I will start looking for a source of that product.

Ian was going to check out whether he could simply use some normal varnish he has, as it looks to be much the same. He will likely let us know how that works with the cloth, and if it works the same we are likely set with a CHEAP alternative we can readily get at the Home Depot or something like that.

I will let you know what I dig up, and if you find anything please let me know. Talk to you later Rich.

Marlin
(from Snowy Alberta!)
Old Dec 09, 2010, 08:10 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
it's pretty snowy here too Marlin. LOL. they got 100cm in London and they can keep it. hahahahaha.

since Poly-C is a water based polyurethane, I'm guessing Gorilla makes a similar product. I was reading the Poly-C website and apparantly, it contains an agent that allows it to adhere to the wood underneath, which may be an issue with other products. bottom line is, that you won't know unless you try it. LOL. I'll also check around to see what I can come up with at HD or Lowes.

Rich
Old Dec 09, 2010, 08:31 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,736 Posts
Sounds good Rich! You're already ahead of me on this one! I just LOVE the way Ian's plane turned out, gotta have it for my spitfire now. (Is Spitfire Envy a medical condition ... wonder if I can get a doctor's not to take the day off to work on mine!)

Talk to you later and enjoy the snow. (I am, actually, I've put skis on my PZ Stinson and it's awesome!)

Marlin
Old Dec 09, 2010, 11:29 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
the RC hobby is like a crack habit................once someone makes you try it, you gotta have more. LOL. I suspect this "Spitfire envy" is much the same. hahahahaha

good luck with that doctors note. let me know how that turns out, cause if it works, I gotta try it..............who am I kidding, I make my own schedule at work, so I just schedule flying days, which basically means the students lose out and I gain. call me selfish if ya like. LOL.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 07:06 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,736 Posts
It is with deep sorrow that I have to announce the death of Flight Officer Nigel Pettigree! It seems that his hot glue repaired wing was simply too rigid and inflexible in the -18 C temperatures today. While pulling out of a large loop the wing folded and Nigel plunged to his death light a Scud Missle!

The devestation to the Spitfire was significant. Virtually every piece of foam was cracked, smashed or destoyed! One servo was also a casualty, as was a BRAND NEW 1800 mah 15C Blue Lipo battery. (First flight on it ... AHHHHHH) The AR500 also appears to have been lost, along with the new MAS 10x7 Prop. (Save the adapter ring though )

Three other servos and linkages are all fine. Brand new ESC seems fine, but will check. Motor Mount for the 3536 is perfect.

Not so sure about the 3536. The prop adapter shaft was bent about 25 degrees. I have taken it off and spun the motor by hand, it SEEMS to be ok, but will need to check once I can hook it and the ESC up to a different receiver.

WOW, what a thud it made. It came down at the end of a field covered in three feet of snow but managed to hit the plowed cement sidewalk so it was a free fall dive to frozen cement at -18C! Not a pretty sight as there was foam bits EVERYWHERE!

There will be a levy tonight at the hanger for Nigel ... a few short words then a couple of pints in his honour!

Sad days ... no spitfire in the hanger! I will have to see about rectifying that.

Old Dec 19, 2010, 01:55 AM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
sorry to hear about your abrupt metting with terra firma. it always sucks to lose a plane, but even more so when you enjoy it so much. if you go on RCCanada, there's a guy selling a wing and tail plane. if you are interested, that's a start to a recovery. I'm sure you'll find another fuse somewhere.

I checked at Home Depot for a solution to Poly-C, but the guy there wasn't very helpful. there were a few water based options, but being inexperienced with this stuff, I wasn't sure. there was Shellac, which is for hobby and crafts and a few products by Minwax (I believe). he wasn't sure if they were safe for foam, or if they could even be painted over. like I said, my lack of product experience caused me not to buy. if someone can help here, it would be muchly appreciated.

Rich