HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Fish99, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 12:22 AM
Flying addicted and lovin it!
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,734 Posts
Discussion
Parkzone Spitfire - Brushless Upgrade

Well, ordered a bunch of stuff from Hobby King to upgrade my spitty ... watching the tracking info, it's been from Hong Kong, to Singapore, then to Zurich, and now on to who knows where ... long ways from Hong Kong to Canada, that's for sure.

In the mean time, I got tired of NOT flying the spitfire, so I put a new crank case in it, and had it up tonight. My son took some video I am uploading to YouTube. Once done I will post the link.

Wonder where my order is now ....

UPDATE: It's arrived. I have all the parts, except for the engine mount spacer. Thinking about taking some PHOTOS and showing this as a MOD / BUILD thread, in case others are looking to do something.

FURTHER UPDATE: All new parts in, new Servo for AIL, added a rudder, flying on AR6110e! Vid links within the attached comments ...

LATEST UPDATE: The thread now contains a detailed accounting of the complete re-build of the PZ Spitfire, including glassing the body, brushless motor and mount, DSM2 Rx upgrade, dual aileron servo mod, rudder mod, split flap mod, re-paint and soon retract mod. Pictures and video in the thread, along with many comments and tips from others who are following it.

Fish99 is offline Find More Posts by Fish99
Last edited by Fish99; Mar 01, 2011 at 01:50 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 28, 2010, 12:59 AM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,734 Posts
The vid is uploaded onto YouTube now ... here is the link!

Parkzone Spitfire - Evening Flight (4 min 27 sec)

Man, I sure love the PZ Spitfire ... what a nice flying aircraft, and such classic lines! I almost ALWAYS have someone walk up to me to talk to me about it when I fly in the park by the house. It's an eye catcher.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 07:39 PM
Joined Mar 2010
16 Posts
shipping ?

Fish,

One of my HK packages that arrived yesterday spent a couple days in Michigan. I'm too busy repairing my bf 109 to worry about the next two on their way now. Nice cross-wind crash vid, you know how lucky you are ! !

Passamari
Passamari is offline Find More Posts by Passamari
Old Jul 30, 2010, 09:43 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Passamari View Post
Fish,

One of my HK packages that arrived yesterday spent a couple days in Michigan. I'm too busy repairing my bf 109 to worry about the next two on their way now. Nice cross-wind crash vid, you know how lucky you are ! !

Passamari
As of tonight Swiss Post shows the parts having departed Zurich on July 23rd, no further updates so I HOPE that means they are in transit to North America ... Chomping at the bit to get that upgrade into my spitty!

The Crash vid on the 109 was a bit lucky, if you can call it that, in that I JUST got it into frame on the 90 degree turn to SHORT SHORT final for the camera when it clipped the ground! Totally my fault for a number of reasons, but suffice it to say, I will be allowing for a LONGER approach in the future!

Sure was lucky on the crash damage. Got the new prop this afternoon, hot glue took care of the elevator same day as the crash. Gonna mix up some latex patching paint tonight, clean it up a bit, and you won't be able to even tell it was in a scrape! VERY FORTUNATE.

Must be living right lately, though I can't imagine that is the case ...

Gonna pop over to your blog now check to see if you have any updates on the re-build.

Talk to you later,

Marlin
Old Aug 30, 2010, 01:30 AM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,734 Posts
Latest Spitfire Mods

Well, I have installed the HK brushless outrunner, and switched the electronics over to an AR6110e DSM2 rx. Using the 30A ESC that came stock in the Parkzone ME109, lots of capacity. Put in a Hitech servo for the wings, with longer throw, more torque, so have more Aileron authority. Flying off the strandard PZ 1800 and 2200 mah 3S 15C lipo's. Also added a Rudder mod, using rebuilt Spitfire wing servo with some new gears, taking an old Elevator pushrod and cleavus, and some hinging tape.

I cut off the rudder clean, then used some thick foam safe CA to insert three hing points using foam covered plastic hinging tape, glueing the hinges into the tail, clamping and hitting with activator first, then re-attaching the rudder in the same manner. That way no need to worry about getting glue into hinge joints, as it's simply flexible foam covered plastic hinges.

I lined up the control rod along the bottom of the fuselage at the angle I would need to mount the servo on the opposite side of the fuselage from the elevator servo, then heated a straightened coat hanger with a torch to melt a channel/hole through the fuselage. Ran the old control rod through and used it to set the distance for placement, then used hot glue to secure the rudder servo to the wall of the fuselage. (I ensured the control rod was attached before securing.)

I then set up the control horn on the bottom of the rudder and used a small drill bit to ream out the holes through the rudder. The supplied screws did not reach all the way through. Rather than look for longer ones I used the CA on the screws and bottom of the horn plate and set them, then activated. Solid as a rock.

The plane flys like a dream. I have a modded ME 109 with Monster Power 15 in it, which I thought was a rocket. The newly modded spitty is actually a bit faster, yet still seems scale like. (Doesn't have infinate vertical, but it will go a LONG way up before it finally stalls ... a LONG way!)

The increased servo throw and the rudder make this place VERY manuverable as well. I have a P51-D BL Gunfighter Mustang and am flying it stock right now. I love that plane, as it is fast and agile, but the MODED Spitfire will fly circles around it, both in flat out speed and agility.

This spitfire is a DREAM to fly now, and has jumped back into the FIRST IN THE FLEET position for me! Great stuff. I will try to get some video of this plane in action with all of the mods!

Last edited by Fish99; Aug 30, 2010 at 01:36 AM.
Old Sep 03, 2010, 04:57 AM
Thatsright I drankthe rum
USA, MN, Robbinsdale
Joined May 2006
1,343 Posts
lets see pics of the tail mods........thkx
K9000wner is offline Find More Posts by K9000wner
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Dututh Air Show
Old Sep 03, 2010, 03:46 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by K9000wner View Post
lets see pics of the tail mods........thkx
Will try to get some up this weekend. Just have to do a bit more painting up as the CA kicker got under the plastic sheeting where I cut the rudder off and kind of discolored it.

Thanks K9
Old Sep 10, 2010, 01:12 AM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,734 Posts
Here's a link to a couple of videos of the Spitty after mods. First the Maiden after installing the Turnigy BL outrunner on the Ebay motor mount, using a Master Airscrew 10x7 electric prop and the 30A ESC from my Parkzone ME109 which was laying around after upgrading that plane. Also dropped in an AR6110e Rx so I could fly it off my DX6i.

BL-Upgrade

Here is a link to the video of the 2nd or 3rd flight after I swapped out the aileron servo for a longer throwing HiTech servo (more aileron movement) and did a Rudder Mod, using a smaller HiTech HS55 servo, an old Spitfire control rod and cleavus I had laying about, and some plastic hinge sheets and CA. Very easy mod, but the activator discolored the tail/rudder and horizontal stab as it got under the plastic sheeting. (Due to the cut) I had to re-paint by hand blending some Latex, so the color match is not perfect.

RudderMod

Have a good one folks!

Marlin
Last edited by Fish99; Sep 28, 2010 at 01:28 AM.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 05:12 AM
Thatsright I drankthe rum
USA, MN, Robbinsdale
Joined May 2006
1,343 Posts
what? no hammer heads , snap rolls
show us ur rudder?

Great vids thanks

what motor turnigy ??? Turnigy 3536???
K9000wner is offline Find More Posts by K9000wner
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Dututh Air Show
Old Sep 10, 2010, 09:37 AM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by K9000wner View Post
what? no hammer heads , snap rolls
show us ur rudder?

Great vids thanks

what motor turnigy ??? Turnigy 3536???
Actually, I have done a couple since these and it works well but did not get that adventurous on the first couple flights. I am going to touch up the mod a bit as the rudder tends to also bend the TAIL a bit when at over 1/2 deflection, probably have to stiffen the tail section of the plane some how.

It's actually NOT the 3536. I followed a suggestion from another forum member and down powered a bit as that would have given me about a 2 to 1 thrust ratio, which is too over powered for what I was looking for. I can't recall the exact motor right now, but will look at it when I get home and edit the post.

Thanks for watching the vids and the post K, when I next talk my son into videoing a flight I will be sure to pull off a couple hammer heads! Happy flying!

Marlin
Old Sep 10, 2010, 10:14 AM
Joined Apr 2010
48 Posts
Nice videos. My LHS has a airframe only kit that's been sitting there for a year. I've been contemplating buing it and turning into a BL model and adding a rudder.

Not sure if it's worth it, but looking at your videos has me reconsidering.

With the mods does it fly similarly to the Gunfighter?
muskrat1775 is offline Find More Posts by muskrat1775
Old Sep 10, 2010, 11:15 AM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by muskrat1775 View Post
Nice videos. My LHS has a airframe only kit that's been sitting there for a year. I've been contemplating buing it and turning into a BL model and adding a rudder.

Not sure if it's worth it, but looking at your videos has me reconsidering.

With the mods does it fly similarly to the Gunfighter?
IMHO it flys better than my Gunfighter, and that is saying something as I LOVE my GF. I think the GF handles heavy winds better, as I find in heavy winds the spitty becomes very pitchy. I think the wings are more sensitive to AOA and makes it more of a hand full in gusty or swirly conditions. In a steady wind or mid to light winds, and ESPECIALLY in calm, the spitfire flys circles around my stock GF. It's faster, more maneuverable, and (to me) looks better. (I am biased, I love the look of those eliptiacal wings.)

Bottom line, with the Spectrum Rx and the ability to use my DX6i, the higher throw rate servos, and the BL speed and power, it's a true dream to fly. No drama, no low or high speed bad characteristics, just relaxing and fun. It is actually a lot like the GF that way, only suped up and no worries in tight turns as mid to lower speeds!

Hope this helps. Happy flying Muscrat!

Marlin
Old Sep 28, 2010, 01:27 AM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,734 Posts
Turnigy Motor

Just an update ... I used the Turnigy 2830 brushless motor from Hobby King.

Turnigy 2830c

It puts out 1050 KV, pulling about 15A weighs about 58 gms. I have an oversized 30A ESC on it, but that was only because I had it sitting around in my bin after yanking it out of the PZ ME-109.

Nice motor, VERY smooth, no issues after MANY flights.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 01:35 AM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,734 Posts
Just an FYI on the PZ Spitfire Replacement wing

Don't know if you noticed, on the video of my FIRST flight after the BL upgrade, I had a HUGE amount of LEFT TRIM (actually used SUB-TRIM to get it there) on the plane. I had ordered a NEW WING from Horizon Hobby as my old one was a bit beat up from all the belly landings and a couple of rough BANGS during the learning phase. (Figured I would put on a new cowling, battery hatch, wing, make the whole plane look very NEW when I did the upgrade.)

Well the wing clearly has some type of "issue" as the servo control rods in the wings are VERY sticky (even after pulling, cleaning, lubricating with silicone spray and re-inserting them) so when you rolled to one side, the ailerons would NOT center. Thought it was a servo issue, so I changed the servo out, same problem. ALSO the wing was not symetrical, or was bent or something as the plane wanted to roll HARD RIGHT. LOADS of left aileron needed for level flight.

I have since pulled the wing off and put the old one back on, packing tape and all, as it just flys way nicer. Got the "new" one sitting on a shelf till I can have a close look and see if I can notice anything obviously out of whack! Too bad, brand new wing and it flew like trash right out of the box. (Came well packed too, can't figure it ...)

Oh well, hope you all have better luck than I did!

Marlin
Old Oct 25, 2010, 03:43 PM
RC plane addict ;-)
United Kingdom, England, Norwich
Joined Aug 2008
1,783 Posts
Great job Fish and i'm about to do mine and hoping to use the same motor as you used as the TR 35-36 would be way to fast for her IMHO and would need the wing mod and as you have just told me on YouTube i think ;-) you didn't need to do it with your motor size.
wanted to keep mine all stock but as it looks like PZ are not doing an updated Spitty any time soon it looks like i'm going for the mods ;-) will post pictures when done.
Thanks for sharing the great info Fish99 and the rest of you ;-)
startazz is offline Find More Posts by startazz