HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 27, 2010, 07:48 PM
Joined Mar 2007
1,147 Posts
Discussion
Torque tube vs. belt drive?

I assume there are advantages and disadvantages to each, but I can't seem to find a defensive list of what they are. Most helis sold with both options are about the same price, so there doesn't seem to be a price advantage to either. Can anyone explain the pros and cons of each?

Dan
Dan203 is offline Find More Posts by Dan203
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 27, 2010, 09:06 PM
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,450 Posts
The debate continues.
My opinion is the torque tube is the way to go, on a properly designed helicopter.
Downside is if you drag the tail on the ground often, the belt can be more forgiving.
Roto Rob is online now Find More Posts by Roto Rob
Old Jul 28, 2010, 01:03 AM
Joined Mar 2007
1,147 Posts
So it sounds like belt drive is more forgiving in a crash. What are the disadvantages? Does it require constant adjustment to maintain proper tension?

I honestly want to know, not debate. I've been flying a lot of small Walkera's for a while and I'm thinking about getting a bigger 450 for outdoors. The cheap HK Trex clones come as either belt drive or torque tube for the exact same price, so I'm confused as to which one to get.

Dan
Dan203 is offline Find More Posts by Dan203
Old Jul 28, 2010, 02:22 AM
N.S.W, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
320 Posts
It really depends I think how confident you are at keeping the tail blades from hitting the ground.

Torque tube gives better power and control to the tail for advanced flying and dosn't have interference issues and what not.

Belt drive allows for more error.
emberjelly is offline Find More Posts by emberjelly
Old Jul 28, 2010, 07:41 AM
dont play with rc anymore
United States, MO, St Joseph
Joined Feb 2005
1,249 Posts
TT= more efficient, faster, more crisp response, but also more fragile. Almost any tr strike will result in stripped gears.

Belt= less efficient than TT or shaft, slightly slower response(usually only noticeable by advanced pilots doing fast maneuvers), but much tougher when it comes to crashes and ground strikes.

Once set up correct, belts require very little maintenance. I check the tension before each session, which requires only a touch. I probably have to re-tension my belts about once every 20 packs.

Belts all the way for me!
micronut is offline Find More Posts by micronut
Last edited by micronut; Jul 28, 2010 at 07:47 AM.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 07:56 AM
dont play with rc anymore
United States, MO, St Joseph
Joined Feb 2005
1,249 Posts
BTW, I am currently building Shoguns #2 and #3.
#1 is a v2 belt drive which is by far my favorite of all of my helis

#2 will be a direct drive variable pitch tail.#3 will be a torque tube.
I may not got them finished and flown for a while, but that should be the definitive answer.

My money is on ddvp!
micronut is offline Find More Posts by micronut
Old Jul 28, 2010, 09:18 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
There is some belief that belt drive creates a static electric buildup that interferes with the ESC. This is the reason I've heard for why Align came out with the TT drive version 450. I'm with micronut, the DDVP system looks very promising.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Jul 28, 2010, 10:50 AM
Delran NJ
Joined Jan 2004
173 Posts
I have both and fail to feel a big difference. Then again I'm not advanced. I heard a shot of silicone on the belt does away with any static issues. I've never had any without the silicone though.
Robertwav1 is offline Find More Posts by Robertwav1
Old Jul 29, 2010, 04:00 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
Yup, Belt is cheaper in crashes, They survive 90%+ of crashes that take out the boom.
TT will survive nearly 0% of crashes that take out the boom and often you have to replace the front or rear gears even at the slightest hit.

If boom slips at the front mounting block, the belt will slip.
Belt tightness is somethiing people sometimes struggle with.
EVery time I"ve thought I had a static problem, I found another reason for the issue.
I silicone spray my belt every 10-20 flights.
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Old Jul 29, 2010, 04:16 PM
Axes & Blades-Cutlery & Helis
West Monroe NY
Joined Feb 2009
3,376 Posts
I'm a belt guy, I use dry graphite spray to lube my belts, you need to treat less using grahite but I still spray the belt most maintenance cycles...which is about 25 flites for me.

I'm not a very advanced pilot, flips, loops and rolls, for those I can't tell the difference between belt and TT, if I wack my TT gears I will likely buy the EXI belt conversion for my Pro ....then fix the TT for the next big crash
ewoodcox is online now Find More Posts by ewoodcox