Old Jul 27, 2010, 02:42 PM
UAS Test Pilot
Norway
Joined Jul 2003
1,130 Posts
Question
Another Dingo or a Viking 2???

Hi,

I` m very pleased with my Dingo F3X glider and I` m thinking about buying another one, But the Viking 2 also looks great and it would be a lot easier to convert to electric fuselage. Decisions, decisions...

Kjell.
SpeedMaster is online now Find More Posts by SpeedMaster
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 27, 2010, 03:17 PM
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Aug 2004
1,830 Posts
tough world we live in...so many planes
concreteman is offline Find More Posts by concreteman
Old Jul 28, 2010, 02:18 AM
EUROPHIA PETE
London England
Joined Oct 2009
147 Posts
Buying another one?

Hi Kjell

If you'll take my advice (and most of my friends don't) - don't buy another 'plane the same as one you currently own! I currently have three sets of two - (two Europhias, two HKM Sharon Pro's and two Calypso Cobras)

Once you've decided which 'plane to take on any given day you then have to decide which of the two you take! - sometimes that second decision is the one that takes the longest.

Having two the same is an old contest flyer's trick (one 'plane you start the comp with, one (identical) 'plane as a backup)

Sport flying is matching the 'plane to the conditions and then picking the one you enjoy flying more, or it is for me anyway.

Having two different alternatives is better - believe me!

Good luck in your deliberations

Pete
Pete Beadle is offline Find More Posts by Pete Beadle
Old Jul 28, 2010, 02:40 AM
Jyvaskyla, Finland
Joined Aug 2003
2,427 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Beadle View Post
If you'll take my advice (and most of my friends don't) - don't buy another 'plane the same as one you currently own! I currently have three sets of two - (two Europhias, two HKM Sharon Pro's and two Calypso Cobras)
Different schools of thought - I would definately buy another same plane if I am happy with the first one. You can learn from the setup of your first Dingo and do things the right way. The second one will allways fly little better.

BTW Dingo discussion has been little slow here. What do you Kjell think of the Dingo ballast system? How much ballast you can get on board without CG issues?
Tuomo is offline Find More Posts by Tuomo
Old Jul 28, 2010, 06:34 AM
UAS Test Pilot
Norway
Joined Jul 2003
1,130 Posts
Thanks for your replys guys.

I` m leaning towards another Dingo, as I really like the plane a lot. As I mainly fly competitions a backup Dingo would be a great solution, but on the other hand the Viking 2 is a interesting plane. I also have 2 of my own design Wild Cards and a Viking, so I have some planes to choose from.

Dingo ballast system:

I get about 900g of brass before I start to move the CG. Total is 1100g -If I buy a next Dingo I` ll make a small fuselage tube in addition.

Kjell.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 10:27 AM
F3B
Warwickshire, England
Joined Sep 2006
5,509 Posts
both.
satinet is online now Find More Posts by satinet
Old Jul 31, 2010, 04:57 AM
Joined Jan 2010
185 Posts
Kjell,

Well after seeing the Dingo go at the Viking race I would have to say that they look a cracking glider.
Ceres pace with Ascot handling
I seem to remember yours going really well once it had my ascot ballast inside of it.

2 models the same for F3F or F3B make sence.
Ding one and you have an identical model ready to go straight away.
Ding both, and you can then interchange bits and bots to make another model from the bits of both.
Which of course would work well for me with my 2 ceres's, but one is a lift and the second one is a standard f3b, lol !

John
ceres-syd is offline Find More Posts by ceres-syd
Old Jul 31, 2010, 05:59 AM
UAS Test Pilot
Norway
Joined Jul 2003
1,130 Posts
Thanks John,

Yeah it makes sence. The Dingo has treated me well the last few comps with high placings. Btw. nice to meet you at VKR. I`ll see you next years Welsh Open.

Kjell.