MFR
just a ordinairy guy
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2008
373 Posts
Discussion
Walter V80

Hello guys,

It took some time to collect the info about my new project, the aim is to get the hull ready this winter.
Since i'am allready into the build i'll fill you in.

This model of a V80 i had seen in the late 80's, length about 50 cm, but a very fast boat.

A picture of the real thing in the drydock at 1939.

The drawing which i've got from one of the american Subpirates subbuilders was a great help for me to start the project.

With the help of a friend the drawing was enlarged untill the size i wanted to build the sub, at the end she will be 1 mtr of lenght, that will be equal at scale 1:22.
Biggest problem was the lack of ribs, the drawing profided only two.

These ribs where known from the drawing, decided to make the centerpart of the sub first.

Used styrodure to fill the spaces between the ribs.

The result of one weekend building at the centerpiece, made the piece rigid by using a threaded bar and nuts to lock up the ribs, to keep the model straight i use a clamp at the keel.

Greetings Manfred.
MFR is offline Find More Posts by MFR
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 27, 2010, 04:46 PM
Joined Feb 2010
388 Posts
Pretty neat Manfred! Good luck!
best wishes,
jeff
Jeff Van Hofwegen is online now Find More Posts by Jeff Van Hofwegen
Old Jul 27, 2010, 08:54 PM
singapore
Joined Jan 2005
199 Posts
Do you plan to sell any hulls?
Albion is offline Find More Posts by Albion
Old Jul 28, 2010, 03:02 PM
MFR
just a ordinairy guy
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2008
373 Posts
Thanks Jeff,

I fell for her because of the shapes and the history, despite the lack of drawings and pictures i would give it a go.

Albion,

Not sure about selling more hulls when i have finished the mold, first pull some for my own use, and see what problems are appearing during the build.
I guess this will take allmost a year, still have things to do at the VII type, first finish that, nevertheless i want to have the hulls this winter.

The next batch of pictures,

It took me some time to reconstruct the other ribs, by using pictures and testing how the shape would be i reconstructed as much ribs to make the model complete.

Following the same proces in making the middle part i made the hull complete, added allready the rearpart and the nosepart.

After glueing the styrodure at the nose the sanding and cutting started again, it took some effort to get it symmetrical.

The first steps to make the rearpart, glued some styrodure blocks to the wooden mold at the end of the hull.

After some days work you get this, a fish shaped hull, next step would be the making of the upperstructure with the conningtower.

Greetings Manfred.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 06:01 PM
Joined Feb 2010
388 Posts
It is coming along nicely Manfred! What make is your type VII? It look very nice.
best wishes,
jeff
Old Jul 29, 2010, 02:16 PM
MFR
just a ordinairy guy
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2008
373 Posts
Hello Jeff,

It was a lot of work to reconstruct the ribs, but after done that the build was quate easy, using styrodure was a good choice, used the same stuff to build the upperstructure.

The VII type is scratchbuild, scale 1:35, only bought the hull some years ago,
to be more precise in 1988, sadly the mold is missing so the oppertunity of getting a spare hull is gone.

Greetings Manfred.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 06:35 PM
Joined Feb 2010
388 Posts
Thanks Manfred!
best wishes,
jeff
Old Jul 30, 2010, 04:01 AM
Germany
Joined Nov 2005
339 Posts
Hi Manfred,

Your picture of the model at the beginning of this thread was built by me. The model was really sucsessfull. The scale was about 1:30 or 1:25. the length about 75 cm. Yeah it was fast for the time of the 80's. Today with modern deep-controllers from Nils Canditt shouldn't it be a problem to go much faster. The hydrodynamics of the boat are made for speed.

I wish You all the best for Your project!

Regards

Lothar
Tijgerhaai is offline Find More Posts by Tijgerhaai
Old Jul 30, 2010, 11:14 AM
MFR
just a ordinairy guy
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2008
373 Posts
Hello Lothar,

Like me you are also one of the old aces, from my point of view that was the best period of scratchbuilding submarines, nothing for sale on the shelve, just build it by yourself.
I must agree that some models made by manufactors are from very good quality, but i like to build my own subs.
In this case i can choose my own type i want to build, this time it's going to be the V80, one of my favourits, i wonder do you still have some pics from your model?

Greetings Manfred.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 03:18 PM
MFR
just a ordinairy guy
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2008
373 Posts
The next stage of the build was to make the superstructure with the conning tower.

First i made a template from wood.

Filled the underpart with styrodure and started cutting and sanding to get the shape right.

Made a dryfitt to see if the size was allright.

The start of making the conningtower, glued some plates of styrodure against the wooden template of the tower.

After some time cutting and sanding is this the result of the superstructure.
Next update i'll show how i placed the superstructure on to the hull.

Greetings Manfred.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 04:50 PM
Germany
Joined Nov 2005
339 Posts
Hi Manfred,

it's funny, just today I made on my CNC-router the frames of a V80 in Scale 1:30. They are for a good friend. Here in northern Germany the V80 is still interesting.

Regards

Lothar
Old Aug 01, 2010, 08:12 AM
MFR
just a ordinairy guy
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2008
373 Posts
Hello Lothar,

Ah, cnc, if you have the plans converted it's a easy job to cut them, mine is going to be scale 1:22, gives me a length of 1 meter, much easier to handle than the VIIC type.
I Agree with you there is a growing interest in different types of submarines,
for me the choice was easy, after seeing the one you've build in the late 80's i wanted also one, but first had to build the VIIC type, that took some time

Next update about the placing of the superstructure on to the hull.

First i removed the baseplate, this was made to be sure that the underside
was straight and flat.

Placed some metal pins at the underside to get a better connection between the superstructure and the hull.

Placed the superstructure on the right place and glued it with 2K glue.

To close the cap between the hull and the superstructure i used some styrodure cutted into strips, this is the first stage.

Second stage was to add another strip, for getting a smooth line from the superstructure to the hull.

Another picture from a different angle, next stage was the sand away the strips into the right shape.

This is the result, still rough but the lines are getting smoother.

It is starting to look like the V80.

Decided to remove the domeshape, so i have less problems with making the mold.

Used lightweight filler to get the lines smooth.

The result using the lightweight filler, had some issues with some spots on the hull.
After preparing the hull i glassed it with glassfibre and epoxy, and offcourse the filling and sanding will start all over again, i'll show the pictures in the next update.

Greetings Manfred.
Old Aug 01, 2010, 08:21 AM
Ilha Formosa-- TAIWAN
Taiwan
Joined Apr 2010
104 Posts
hightly intresting in your project
epg800 is offline Find More Posts by epg800
Old Aug 01, 2010, 06:16 PM
Germany
Joined Nov 2005
339 Posts
Hi Manfred,

please do not see this comment as bad critizem! But when I remember right, the forward and the aft part of the first step of the tower should be more rounded. Only in the middle of this, where the periscope-cover is, it#s flat as You built it.

I enjoy Your building.

Regards

Lothar
Old Aug 02, 2010, 01:52 PM
MFR
just a ordinairy guy
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2008
373 Posts
Lothar,

Every kind of info is welcome because there are not that much pictures from the V80.
Next pictures i have from Steve Reichmuth from Subpirates, and Stefan Schmitz from SONAR

The front view, while laying inside a wet dock.

The rearview, while being inside the harbour near a supplyboat.

A topview, near a navyship.

On the pictures you can see that your remarks are right, i did take care of that issue, during the filling and sanding after glassing the boat i tried to make it as good as possible, i'll show you later in the next update.

Greetings Manfred.
Last edited by MFR; Aug 02, 2010 at 02:35 PM.