SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 12, 2011, 06:16 PM
my mental eXcape!
USA, Ohio, Catawba Island
Joined Jan 2011
4,397 Posts
For those of you thinking that I'm becoming a traitor, please don't fear! I still like Walkera and I wouldn't give up mine! The "under 450 size" are a great value for the money. It's when you hit that $350+ price-point that you should consider all options. You may still end up going with Walkera. If so, it's not a bad thing at all.
HeliGriff is offline Find More Posts by HeliGriff
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 12, 2011, 06:17 PM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliGriff View Post
It depends whether you want to BUILD or BUY-N-FLY. That's where Walkera excels; take it out of the box and fly it. You DO pay extra for that ability.
Yeah I know where your coming from. Sometimes I think its worth the extra $100 to get somebody else to get it to the BNF stage. Theres quite a few hours work setting up these things and considering labour rates I guess an extra $100 is quite cheap.

Ive got a half finished Autogyro on the floor and a CopterX500 kit in the mail, so theres quite a few long hours ahead before those two get air borne. But its still an interesting hobby for me

Mick
Bravo47 is offline Find More Posts by Bravo47
Old Aug 12, 2011, 06:22 PM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
Quote:
For those of you thinking that I'm becoming a traitor, please don't fear! I still like Walkera and I wouldn't give up mine!
Yeah im a Walkera fan as well. Im actually sweating on the release of the Walkera Lama 3-1 which is reportedly a dual swash collective pitch COAX which will break new ground if they can produce it RTF for under $500 in there target market.
Bravo47 is offline Find More Posts by Bravo47
Old Aug 12, 2011, 06:29 PM
my mental eXcape!
Joined Jan 2011
4,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo47 View Post
Yeah I know where your coming from. Sometimes I think its worth the extra $100 to get somebody else to get it to the BNF stage. Theres quite a few hours work setting up these things and considering labour rates I guess an extra $100 is quite cheap.

Ive got a half finished Autogyro on the floor and a CopterX500 kit in the mail, so theres quite a few long hours ahead before those two get air borne. But its still an interesting hobby for me

Mick
I owe a lot to Walkera. Their V200D01 taught me how to fly. I got so upset when it was down for repair, I got a second one so I'd have a back-up! If I want go fly a quick battery, I grab the V200D01 because I know it will fly and I am 110% comfortable with it.

However, like you point out, the hobby expands the longer you're in it. I'm practicing on my collective pitch 450. I'm certain that I'll be building a heli soon and investing in a TX/RX.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 10:45 PM
I haveno idea what I am doing
United States, SC, Lexington
Joined Jun 2011
123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsobbe View Post
RPM is about the same. The symmetrical blades generate less lift and the rate of climb is about half of the stock blades. But, I never tried fine tuning the blade pitch. So, my experiment isn't definitive.
The Trex 250 blades on my V200D01 clearly demonstrated that symmetrical blades are much more stable than the stock blades in the wind and more resistant to upsets by gusts. Actually, stability is about equal to a collective head. So, I intend to put a M200D01 head and blades on my V200D01.
After studying the parts photos in appears that it might just involve changing the feathering shaft, blade grips and blades. Maybe the upper pushrods, too. If you've already done the sleeve mod, that may do it. We'll see.
Goodluckbuy.com lists the M200 parts, but is currently out of the head parts. Maybe a lot of folks have figured this out already.
I agree. I've done the loop, roll, inverted stuff and don't need to do it again. Especially at twice to price and complexity of fixed pitch.
Would a v200 be capable of a loop into a headwind? Or no wind for that matter? *Edit nevermind the wind, is it loopable?
2dmatt is offline Find More Posts by 2dmatt
Old Aug 12, 2011, 10:49 PM
Joined Jun 2011
123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nese View Post
Clearprop88, HeliGriff, 2dmatt. Here are good ones to try that will fit the camera bracket I made for a few dollars more than the cheap ones:

(1) The one I used for my short vids is the one I use for my FPV starter kit:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._5MP_CMOS.html

When it was first launched people had hopes that it would be a GoPro killer... but it wasn't and isn't . It's still very good even though it is a little heavy for the V at around 40g. The best feature of this is the WIDE ANGLE lens - that's how my LED, skids and hull of my canopy ended up in the vid. The downside is that there is no case so you've gotta watch out for the lens as it would probably just snap off the PCB in a crash.

At just over 35 bucks this is one camera I won't hesitate using first. That and the V200 won't take off with the 165+g my gopro. Also if you're like HeliGriff intending to use this on other larger helis like his 450, this is the one to get without spending anymore money and will take you all the way to FPV.

(2) The HD keychain cam is probably not as good, but at less than half the weight of the one I used, this is better suited weight-wise to small 180 class helis. I don't have this one, but I've seen videos on youtube and they're pretty decent. For about 2 bucks more it has a case and includes shipping.

http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/808HD-11-HD-D...item2564420a4a

Btw, there is a version #12 out but reviews tend to show a preference to the above version 11.

There it is . Remember to share your vids!

The weekend approaches and the field beckons

Thanks for the info! I am considering the keychain cam because of weight issues. i will post a vid if get one for sure!
Old Aug 13, 2011, 12:39 AM
Joined Nov 2010
929 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dmatt View Post
Thanks for the info! I am considering the keychain cam because of weight issues. i will post a vid if get one for sure!
You're welcome. Check out youtube with the model description to gain an idea of the video quality and see if that works. Good luck. Will check out your vids as they are posted. Nice to see new places and views
nese is offline Find More Posts by nese
Old Aug 13, 2011, 12:51 AM
Joined Nov 2010
929 Posts
Quote:
Would a v200 be capable of a loop into a headwind? Or no wind for that matter? *Edit nevermind the wind, is it loopable?
I've had bucks in the wind in ff so hard I thought that if it ever did start going past 90 degrees in a pitch up I'd just follow though just for the heck of it, but the best I'd got was the start of a fbf .. I don't think it can be done without crashing.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 03:06 AM
Joined Nov 2010
929 Posts
Quote:
I owe a lot to Walkera. Their V200D01 taught me how to fly. I got so upset when it was down for repair, I got a second one so I'd have a back-up! If I want go fly a quick battery, I grab the V200D01 because I know it will fly and I am 110% comfortable with it.

However, like you point out, the hobby expands the longer you're in it. I'm practicing on my collective pitch 450. I'm certain that I'll be building a heli soon and investing in a TX/RX.
110% comfortable is saying a lot about how much you like it. I wish Walkera were as loyal as some of us here. It is possible that the current RXs will become obsolete in a year or so with the start of the devention range. If anything the current kits are still good standalones that'd last years to come.

Regardless the V200 was the missing link between my coax and CP helis. I'm still practicing on my walkerized king3 and also in the midst of a 450 build - just waiting for electronics to arrive. So far so good - no crashes - so that's saying a lot about what I've learnt practically (after crashing) on my V200.

Costwise putting together a 450 trex clone BNF to my 2801tx is going to be less than USD150 so that's something I'm looking forward to completing in the coming weeks. I haven't yet gone into the appreciation of electronics and metal geared servos, but I think I'd get by for now.
Last edited by nese; Aug 13, 2011 at 03:10 AM. Reason: paragraphing
Old Aug 13, 2011, 08:51 AM
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Jan 2011
1,067 Posts
Quote:
No. And wind is not a factor.
Not enough power. And, even if you had the power the fixed blades would require that you dramatically reduce power (rotor RPM) beyond a vertical attitude or they would just pull the helicopter down, rapidly. At best, you would have to have a lot of speed (inertia) and basically throw it over the top half of a loop. Assuming we're talking about a nice, round loop, that won't happen because there isn't enough mass (weight) to provide the inertia to do that.
dsobbe is offline Find More Posts by dsobbe
Last edited by dsobbe; Aug 13, 2011 at 09:05 AM.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 11:09 AM
my mental eXcape!
Joined Jan 2011
4,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nese View Post
110% comfortable is saying a lot about how much you like it. I wish Walkera were as loyal as some of us here. It is possible that the current RXs will become obsolete in a year or so with the start of the devention range. If anything the current kits are still good standalones that'd last years to come.

Regardless the V200 was the missing link between my coax and CP helis. I'm still practicing on my walkerized king3 and also in the midst of a 450 build - just waiting for electronics to arrive. So far so good - no crashes - so that's saying a lot about what I've learnt practically (after crashing) on my V200.

Costwise putting together a 450 trex clone BNF to my 2801tx is going to be less than USD150 so that's something I'm looking forward to completing in the coming weeks. I haven't yet gone into the appreciation of electronics and metal geared servos, but I think I'd get by for now.
Clarification: I'm 110% comfortable with my ability to fly it. It's like driving your personal automobile, you know exactly how your car reacts and how to control it. I didn't mean that I am 110% satisfied with the product itself.

Don't get me wrong, I am very happy with my V200D01 (both of them!) and I think they're worth every penny.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 11:16 AM
my mental eXcape!
Joined Jan 2011
4,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsobbe View Post
No. And wind is not a factor.
Not enough power. And, even if you had the power the fixed blades would require that you dramatically reduce power (rotor RPM) beyond a vertical attitude or they would just pull the helicopter down, rapidly. At best, you would have to have a lot of speed (inertia) and basically throw it over the top half of a loop. Assuming we're talking about a nice, round loop, that won't happen because there isn't enough mass (weight) to provide the inertia to do that.
Not with Fixed Pitch blades and no negative-pitch capability! It takes BOTH of those factors, and many other factors, to do loops. How do I know? An Align 600 or 700 has all the power, speed, mass.. that you could ever ask for. In order for a Pro to perform a loop, the heli must have 3D symetrical blades, collective pitch, positive and negative pitch capability, plus all the forementioned factors (speed, mass, etc) in order to do it. Walkera's China website has instructions (under Training) on how to do 3D loops, rolls, etc. Check it out!
Old Aug 13, 2011, 12:17 PM
United States, CT
Joined Mar 2011
422 Posts
loop w/fixed pitch

not a v200 but this guy claims to loop a nicely modded 120 sr, post#5118, hard to see in his vid because the heli appears very small. an interesting clip though.
(this discussion reminded me of it)
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...p#post17644864
adrenahelin is offline Find More Posts by adrenahelin
Old Aug 14, 2011, 07:44 AM
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Jan 2011
1,067 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrenahelin View Post
not a v200 but this guy claims to loop a nicely modded 120 sr, post#5118, hard to see in his vid because the heli appears very small. an interesting clip though.
Right! Is this the same guy that makes those blurry, jumpy videos that purportedly show bigfoot flying UFO's in formation; 75 miles away, at night, in rain and fog?
To be fair though, he may actually be doing a half a%@@d loop with a ballistic trajectory in the manner that I explained in my Post #1120. But, it sure isn't clear in this video.
dsobbe is offline Find More Posts by dsobbe
Old Aug 15, 2011, 12:34 AM
Joined Jun 2011
123 Posts
I think it can be done. I have already done a roll with it. Not on purpose mind you but it landed on the skid none the less. With enough speed, altitude and a well timed chop of the throttle, I'm feeling confident.