SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 11, 2011, 06:36 PM
my mental eXcape!
USA, Ohio, Catawba Island
Joined Jan 2011
4,413 Posts
My motto is.. if you want a different head system, buy another heli that has it. Then, you have TWO helis!
HeliGriff is offline Find More Posts by HeliGriff
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 11, 2011, 07:49 PM
I haveno idea what I am doing
United States, SC, Lexington
Joined Jun 2011
123 Posts
And two different rotor heads! I get that!
2dmatt is offline Find More Posts by 2dmatt
Old Aug 11, 2011, 10:11 PM
Joined Nov 2010
929 Posts
HD Camera Candidates for Helicam Endeavours

Clearprop88, HeliGriff, 2dmatt. Here are good ones to try that will fit the camera bracket I made for a few dollars more than the cheap ones:

(1) The one I used for my short vids is the one I use for my FPV starter kit:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._5MP_CMOS.html

When it was first launched people had hopes that it would be a GoPro killer... but it wasn't and isn't . It's still very good even though it is a little heavy for the V at around 40g. The best feature of this is the WIDE ANGLE lens - that's how my LED, skids and hull of my canopy ended up in the vid. The downside is that there is no case so you've gotta watch out for the lens as it would probably just snap off the PCB in a crash.

At just over 35 bucks this is one camera I won't hesitate using first. That and the V200 won't take off with the 165+g my gopro. Also if you're like HeliGriff intending to use this on other larger helis like his 450, this is the one to get without spending anymore money and will take you all the way to FPV.

(2) The HD keychain cam is probably not as good, but at less than half the weight of the one I used, this is better suited weight-wise to small 180 class helis. I don't have this one, but I've seen videos on youtube and they're pretty decent. For about 2 bucks more it has a case and includes shipping.

http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/808HD-11-HD-D...item2564420a4a

Btw, there is a version #12 out but reviews tend to show a preference to the above version 11.

There it is . Remember to share your vids!

The weekend approaches and the field beckons
nese is offline Find More Posts by nese
Old Aug 11, 2011, 11:08 PM
my mental eXcape!
Joined Jan 2011
4,413 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nese View Post
Clearprop88, HeliGriff, 2dmatt. Here are good ones to try that will fit the camera bracket I made for a few dollars more than the cheap ones:

(1) The one I used for my short vids is the one I use for my FPV starter kit:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._5MP_CMOS.html

When it was first launched people had hopes that it would be a GoPro killer... but it wasn't and isn't . It's still very good even though it is a little heavy for the V at around 40g. The best feature of this is the WIDE ANGLE lens - that's how my LED, skids and hull of my canopy ended up in the vid. The downside is that there is no case so you've gotta watch out for the lens as it would probably just snap off the PCB in a crash.

At just over 35 bucks this is one camera I won't hesitate using first. That and the V200 won't take off with the 165+g my gopro. Also if you're like HeliGriff intending to use this on other larger helis like his 450, this is the one to get without spending anymore money and will take you all the way to FPV.

(2) The HD keychain cam is probably not as good, but at less than half the weight of the one I used, this is better suited weight-wise to small 180 class helis. I don't have this one, but I've seen videos on youtube and they're pretty decent. For about 2 bucks more it has a case and includes shipping.

http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/808HD-11-HD-D...item2564420a4a

Btw, there is a version #12 out but reviews tend to show a preference to the above version 11.

There it is . Remember to share your vids!

The weekend approaches and the field beckons
Awesome info nese! The HobbyKing model is exactly what I need with a tray mount, like yours.

EDITED: read the reviews on HK's website. NOT one good review! I was going to buy it, but the reviews scared me away.
Last edited by HeliGriff; Aug 11, 2011 at 11:34 PM. Reason: correction
Old Aug 12, 2011, 02:57 AM
Joined Nov 2010
929 Posts
Yes, the reviews there are indeed quite negative. I wasn't sure but I think some of the people who reviewed didn't even own one... hmm. This seems to be quite common in HK reviews. Other reviewers slam this, some don't. Others like me usually don't add in a review, unless it's really bad or unbelievably good. All these things make it hard to make out the forest for the trees.

Anyway amongst all the bad press I read the reviews of one or two people who found it positive or acceptable. One of them actually posted a video so I took a risk to try it out and its paid off, for me at least.

Maybe I was lucky. Maybe I'm not as demanding for video quality as the people who reviewed them. Agreed the video quality or light handling capability is not as good as my gopro. Then again its only a fraction of the cost (and weight) of my gopro so I am quite happy with it for the money. Also for a part change on a gopro from a crash, add a little more money and I could buy another HK camera .

There are worse things I could have paid for for USD35 or USD10-20+ for that matter. The tragedy in this is that I have. Lol!

On the matter of video quality appreciation the gopro is still a CMOS device so some of the fortunate people using CCDs sensors wouldn't give it a hoot. With respect to the V200 and other micro helis, IMO (and I don't make a cent from any sales from these guys) at least they can fit this little bird and the video quality was decent enough. And YES, you're the best judge of that
Last edited by nese; Aug 12, 2011 at 03:25 AM. Reason: paragraphing
Old Aug 12, 2011, 03:39 AM
Joined Nov 2010
929 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsobbe View Post
For a long time I've been wondering how the V200's undercambered rotor blades effect handling. The 4F180's symmetrical blades seemed to be more stable and less effected by gusts. So, l bought a cheap set of symmetrical wood Trex 250 rotor blades here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=320711958988&
ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:US:1123

and made a set of brass pitch plates to adapt the blades to the V200D01 hub (see photos). The pitch is 12 degrees. With the blade lengths trimmed to match the original blades I only lost one half square inch of blade area, total.

With these blades my V200 has similar handling characteristics to the 4F180. Gust stability is markedly improved and I can comfortably fly in stronger winds and rougher air. Control response is unchanged from the undercambered blades. At hover RPM the current draw is lower and both the motor and ESC run much cooler. Like the 4F180, there is some lag in throttle response and I do have to lead throttle inputs a little. Rate of climb is less than the undercambered blades. I should be able to get better climb rates with slightly wider blades and lower pitch. All of these changes are characteristic of symmetrical airfoils. But, so far, all are good.
This is a work in progress. I may replace the rotor head with a 4F180 head with two blades. Then, I can do away with the pitch plates and be able to easily adjust blade pitch. Or, if I can find a two blade fixed pitch head I'll use that. Anyone have a suggestion?
dsobbe, is the hover RPM faster with your mod?
Old Aug 12, 2011, 03:44 AM
Joined Nov 2010
929 Posts
And now there is a 6-ch CP version of our V200...

http://www.hobby-wing.com/walkera-v2...elicopter.html

With FPs performing well in the wind and with no original intent on 3-D flying it's waiting and watching for me
Old Aug 12, 2011, 06:03 AM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
The 4F200 has been around for a while. This is a 2b version with latest model RX. Looks like a nice 250 size heli.
Bravo47 is offline Find More Posts by Bravo47
Old Aug 12, 2011, 08:23 AM
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Jan 2011
1,085 Posts
Quote:
dsobbe, is the hover RPM faster with your mod?
RPM is about the same. The symmetrical blades generate less lift and the rate of climb is about half of the stock blades. But, I never tried fine tuning the blade pitch. So, my experiment isn't definitive.
The Trex 250 blades on my V200D01 clearly demonstrated that symmetrical blades are much more stable than the stock blades in the wind and more resistant to upsets by gusts. Actually, stability is about equal to a collective head. So, I intend to put a M200D01 head and blades on my V200D01.
After studying the parts photos in appears that it might just involve changing the feathering shaft, blade grips and blades. Maybe the upper pushrods, too. If you've already done the sleeve mod, that may do it. We'll see.
Goodluckbuy.com lists the M200 parts, but is currently out of the head parts. Maybe a lot of folks have figured this out already.
I agree. I've done the loop, roll, inverted stuff and don't need to do it again. Especially at twice to price and complexity of fixed pitch.
dsobbe is offline Find More Posts by dsobbe
Old Aug 12, 2011, 10:20 AM
Joined Nov 2010
929 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo47 View Post
The 4F200 has been around for a while. This is a 2b version with latest model RX. Looks like a nice 250 size heli.
You're right, somehow the 4F200 always looked a little larger to me.

The 2b version is convenient in that it'd fit in a 250 al case for transport, like the V200
Old Aug 12, 2011, 10:31 AM
Joined Nov 2010
929 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsobbe View Post
RPM is about the same. The symmetrical blades generate less lift and the rate of climb is about half of the stock blades. But, I never tried fine tuning the blade pitch. So, my experiment isn't definitive.
The Trex 250 blades on my V200D01 clearly demonstrated that symmetrical blades are much more stable than the stock blades in the wind and more resistant to upsets by gusts. Actually, stability is about equal to a collective head. So, I intend to put a M200D01 head and blades on my V200D01.
After studying the parts photos in appears that it might just involve changing the feathering shaft, blade grips and blades. Maybe the upper pushrods, too. If you've already done the sleeve mod, that may do it. We'll see.
Goodluckbuy.com lists the M200 parts, but is currently out of the head parts. Maybe a lot of folks have figured this out already.
I agree. I've done the loop, roll, inverted stuff and don't need to do it again. Especially at twice to price and complexity of fixed pitch.
That sounds like you're narrowing the gap between the flight of a FP vs a CP heli. Staying tuned for the results of your experiment...

Just thinking - if we used the programmable Tx and set for a fixed pitch for a CP heli thoughout it's throttle curve wouldn't it behave just like a M200D01?
Old Aug 12, 2011, 12:05 PM
my mental eXcape!
Joined Jan 2011
4,413 Posts
Quote:
That sounds like you're narrowing the gap between the flight of a FP vs a CP heli. Staying tuned for the results of your experiment...

Just thinking - if we used the programmable Tx and set for a fixed pitch for a CP heli thoughout it's throttle curve wouldn't it behave just like a M200D01?
I don't mean to poo-poo an exciting new heli, but... the price that Walkera is wanting for these "proprietory" (not comapatible with other brands) versions are getting pretty high when compared to other pure CP helis. Example: I only have $179 in my CP 450 including a TX/RX. It's not Trex compatible, nor FBL, but for $179 I don't care. When I see $400 to $700 prices on Walkeras, it makes me look at other higher-quality brands that are Trex compatible and about the same price.

On the other hand, if someone's flying preference is the 200-250 class, Walkera's are hard to beat for "out of the box" fly-ability. I enjoy my V200's VERY much! They're reliable, stable, and a lot of fun. Plus, you always get a TX/RX with it. A lot of people don't want to mess around with adapting their heli to work on a different brand of TX/RX.

Just keep in mind that MUCH of the price you pay is for the Walkera TX/RX that comes with the heli, and may not reflect the "heli's" quality that you believe you are paying for.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 12:09 PM
Canada, BC, Nanaimo E
Joined Dec 2010
88 Posts
D03

I think this looks great if you want to BNF on a 2801Pro and would like to stay 200 size. It'll be interesting to follow the thread to see if it really doesn't have enough weight to buck the wind.

I haven't seen this anywhere else. Some V200 D01 parts should be usable but not many.

Quote:
And now there is a 6-ch CP version of our V200...

http://www.hobby-wing.com/walkera-v2...elicopter.html

With FPs performing well in the wind and with no original intent on 3-D flying it's waiting and watching for me
dkb194 is online now Find More Posts by dkb194
Old Aug 12, 2011, 05:42 PM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliGriff View Post
I don't mean to poo-poo an exciting new heli, but... the price that Walkera is wanting for these "proprietory" (not comapatible with other brands) versions are getting pretty high when compared to other pure CP helis.
Your right there. You could build one of these HK-250's for much less. After seeing how well my 4F180 flew yesterday Im sort of tempted to retire my 4F200 and migrate some of its gear to a flybared HK-250.

Link- http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=9974

Mick
Bravo47 is offline Find More Posts by Bravo47
Old Aug 12, 2011, 06:10 PM
my mental eXcape!
Joined Jan 2011
4,413 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo47 View Post
Your right there. You could build one of these HK-250's for much less. After seeing how well my 4F180 flew yesterday Im sort of tempted to retire my 4F200 and migrate some of its gear to a flybared HK-250.

Link- http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=9974

Mick
It depends whether you want to BUILD or BUY-N-FLY. That's where Walkera excels; take it out of the box and fly it. You DO pay extra for that ability.

All of my helis are RTF. Nothing wrong with that. However, if I want to increase the quality of my heli and it's parts, I'll need to buy a good TX/RX and build a "kit" heli.

If you go that route, check out RCAerodyne's Chaos! The quality is much higher than that of HK. Plus, the Chaos is TRex compatible, so parts are available EVERYWHERE!
Last edited by HeliGriff; Aug 12, 2011 at 06:17 PM.