HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 07, 2011, 09:08 PM
my mental eXcape!
USA, Ohio, Catawba Island
Joined Jan 2011
4,167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearprop88 View Post
Funny that you should ask about that pin.

While I was flying today the pin came out all by itself.
Fortunately the head didn't come flying off, and hit someone.
I never removed the pin before this happened, so it must have just worked itself loose.
When the main shaft is new the pin is a pressfit, but the shaft is just a length of tubing with 3 holes in it. As time goes by there are micro forces applied to the pin hole, and they eventually enlarge the hole. Every time you change the speed of the shaft a small force is applied to shaft at the pin hole.

I replaced the pin with a paper clip. A temporary rig to keep flying until I get a new shaft installed.
If i could find a 1.5mm bolt at the LHS, I'd drill the shaft and use bolts. they don't carry one that small and i haven't searched for any yet.
HeliGriff is offline Find More Posts by HeliGriff
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 07, 2011, 09:27 PM
my mental eXcape!
Joined Jan 2011
4,167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dmatt View Post
Just got back from two packs in the yard practicing nose in hovering. its harder than it looks.
here's a tip for ya..

Do your nose-in's 4-8 ft off the ground. Should the heli start to drift away, correct the forward backwards movement first, then the sideways movement. That way, you can always be sure that the heli won't hit you, or stick its tail in the dirt.

Keep Going!
Old Aug 07, 2011, 11:32 PM
Joined Apr 2011
1,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliGriff View Post
If i could find a 1.5mm bolt at the LHS, I'd drill the shaft and use bolts. they don't carry one that small and i haven't searched for any yet.
Actually the paper clip is not a bad fix.
I just straightened it out so that it's a length of wire, and did a quarter wrap around the shaft, and snipped off the ends. The diameter is about the same as the pin, so there is very little play at the shaft/head junction, it's barely noticable, and there's no vibration.
clearprop88 is online now Find More Posts by clearprop88
Old Aug 08, 2011, 07:53 AM
my mental eXcape!
Joined Jan 2011
4,167 Posts
Quote:
Actually the paper clip is not a bad fix.
I just straightened it out so that it's a length of wire, and did a quarter wrap around the shaft, and snipped off the ends. The diameter is about the same as the pin, so there is very little play at the shaft/head junction, it's barely noticable, and there's no vibration.
Paper clips and duct tape, right! It works! You now have a locking feature with it bent around the shaft. That's good!

A long time ago, a pin started working loose on mine, but didn't come completely out. Since then, I dab some Locktite-blue into the hole before inserting the pin. I haven't had a problem since. Still, a pin is a pain. A bolt would be easier.
Old Aug 08, 2011, 08:38 AM
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Jan 2011
994 Posts
You boys aren't throwing out the pins from your old main gears, are you? Because, they're the same pins as the one in the rotor head.
dsobbe is offline Find More Posts by dsobbe
Old Aug 08, 2011, 09:40 AM
Joined Apr 2011
1,214 Posts
Yes all 3 pins used on this heli are the same.
Save your pins.
Locktite blue, that's a good idea. I think I'll try that.
clearprop88 is online now Find More Posts by clearprop88
Old Aug 08, 2011, 04:02 PM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
Quote:
Yes all 3 pins used on this heli are the same.
Save your pins.
Locktite blue, that's a good idea. I think I'll try that.
I thought I read Locktite should not go anywhere near plastics as it makes them britol? Perhaps a drop of CA over the larger hole would be better.

Remember to that those pins have one rounded end, and the main gears have a larger hole on one side. So the pin should always enter with the tapered end first on the larger hole side of the main gear. Push it all the way in so the taper end locks into the small hole side of the gear hub.
Bravo47 is offline Find More Posts by Bravo47
Old Aug 08, 2011, 04:42 PM
my mental eXcape!
Joined Jan 2011
4,167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo47 View Post
I thought I read Locktite should not go anywhere near plastics as it makes them britol? Perhaps a drop of CA over the larger hole would be better.

Remember to that those pins have one rounded end, and the main gears have a larger hole on one side. So the pin should always enter with the tapered end first on the larger hole side of the main gear. Push it all the way in so the taper end locks into the small hole side of the gear hub.
Taper info is correct! For a long time, i didn't know there was a tapered end.

Locktite should NEVER be used on plastic! I was referring to the pin in the head, where everything is metal. As for the maingear pin, I've never had one come out. If it's a problem, I'd use the paperclip before putting CA in the hole.
Old Aug 08, 2011, 11:45 PM
Joined Nov 2010
870 Posts
Simple Helicam Bracket for V200 (and other helis) - V200D01 Fully Loaded

HeliGriff, on a mounting bracket for a helicam here's a simple design that is rock solid. If only the flying could be better

Here's a test flight:

V200D01 HD on-board flycam test outdoors in the wind (1 min 38 sec)

and one in the wee hours of the mornin':

V200D01 with Helicam and Lights in Dark Outdoors With Wind (1 min 35 sec)

Flights are kinda shaky - most likely the ail gyro setting too high.
nese is offline Find More Posts by nese
Last edited by nese; Aug 08, 2011 at 11:51 PM.
Old Aug 09, 2011, 06:05 AM
Joined Jan 2011
994 Posts
Nese,

Nice video. The V200's provide an incredibly stable and vibration free platform.
Old Aug 09, 2011, 06:12 AM
Joined Jan 2011
994 Posts
To all,

I found a nice, small, easy to use video editor called Machete Lite. You can Google it. The free version does the basic editing functions very well. It's great for quickly removing those pointless shots of a shoe, finger, or a dogs nose from flight videos. That will also cut way down on the upload time.
Old Aug 09, 2011, 07:10 AM
my mental eXcape!
Joined Jan 2011
4,167 Posts
[QUOTE=nese;18995337]HeliGriff, on a mounting bracket for a helicam here's a simple design that is rock solid. If only the flying could be better

Very cool! I think my problem is the camera. Yours will lay horizontal between the skids, as mine must be verticle and stand upright. I may need to look into a different camera. The mount design is very nice and could be made for any heli.

Thanks!
Old Aug 09, 2011, 07:43 AM
Joined Nov 2010
870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsobbe View Post
To all,

I found a nice, small, easy to use video editor called Machete Lite. You can Google it. The free version does the basic editing functions very well. It's great for quickly removing those pointless shots of a shoe, finger, or a dogs nose from flight videos. That will also cut way down on the upload time.
Thanks. I'm gonna have a look at it.
Old Aug 09, 2011, 07:58 AM
Joined Nov 2010
870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsobbe View Post
Nese,

Nice video. The V200's provide an incredibly stable and vibration free platform.
Thanks. This one's off my main route towards FPV but this mini project was fun in seeing that the V is actually stable and strong (barely) enough for a helicam flying outdoors in about a 1.5m/s wind.
Old Aug 09, 2011, 08:11 AM
Joined Nov 2010
870 Posts
[QUOTE=HeliGriff;18996950]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nese View Post
HeliGriff, on a mounting bracket for a helicam here's a simple design that is rock solid. If only the flying could be better

Very cool! I think my problem is the camera. Yours will lay horizontal between the skids, as mine must be verticle and stand upright. I may need to look into a different camera. The mount design is very nice and could be made for any heli.

Thanks!
Thanks in return. The point to note would be the obvious weight issue. This was probably my last helicam video with this camera since I could "feel" the strain on the motor and drivetrain. The gears thankfully survived this experiment including the crash in the short grass during the dry run Next time I'll use a HD keychain cam.