SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Aug 02, 2011, 05:16 PM
Registered User
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Jan 2011
1,083 Posts
All this discussion about disorientation reminded me of some RL helicopter procedures that are applicable to our small ones. These are standard procedures for unintentional flight into reduced visibility, which can cause disorientation similar to what R/C fliers experience when they lose reference to their models attitude.

1. Stop any rotation about the yaw axis.
2. Fly slowly forward.
3. Climb

Those three procedures will help you to recover control and buy time to get reoriented. And, they work.
dsobbe is online now Find More Posts by dsobbe
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 02, 2011, 05:59 PM
my mental eXcape!
HeliGriff's Avatar
USA, Ohio, Catawba Island
Joined Jan 2011
4,411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsobbe View Post
All this discussion about disorientation reminded me of some RL helicopter procedures that are applicable to our small ones. These are standard procedures for unintentional flight into reduced visibility, which can cause disorientation similar to what R/C fliers experience when they lose reference to their models attitude.

1. Stop any rotation about the yaw axis.
2. Fly slowly forward.
3. Climb

Those three procedures will help you to recover control and buy time to get reoriented. And, they work.
Yes they do work! Good stuff!

Like all instructional training, there are exceptions. The other day when I got all disoriented (cause I can't see that far away anymore) , I had to spin the heli (rotate around the yaw axis) just to find the nose. Until I did that, I couldn't fly forward slowly because I didn't know where forward would be. Meanwhile, it was falling at about a 15 degree angle toward the earth and getting smaller as it went. However, I DID manage to punch the throttle and climbed half-way to the Moon! Once I found the nose, all was good and I could recover. I actually recovered it with the nose-in because it was bright yellow and easy to guide back home. I can't say enough "nose-in..nose-in..nose-in until you are as good at it as tail-in".
HeliGriff is offline Find More Posts by HeliGriff
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 02, 2011, 09:11 PM
I haveno idea what I am doing
2dmatt's Avatar
United States, SC, Lexington
Joined Jun 2011
123 Posts
HG, You are starting to remind me of my dog...he's always got his nose in something.
2dmatt is offline Find More Posts by 2dmatt
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 02, 2011, 09:29 PM
my mental eXcape!
HeliGriff's Avatar
USA, Ohio, Catawba Island
Joined Jan 2011
4,411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dmatt View Post
HG, You are starting to remind me of my dog...he's always got his nose in something.
Sorry. I'm bored while waiting on parts and I just can't seem to leave a post, alone. I'll try to refrain.
HeliGriff is offline Find More Posts by HeliGriff
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 02, 2011, 09:31 PM
my mental eXcape!
HeliGriff's Avatar
USA, Ohio, Catawba Island
Joined Jan 2011
4,411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliGriff View Post
Sorry. I'm bored while waiting on parts and I just can't seem to leave a post, alone. I'll try to refrain.
Oh wait.. I get it.. Nose-in. LOL
HeliGriff is offline Find More Posts by HeliGriff
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 03, 2011, 08:58 PM
rubber heli skills
United States, OR, Seaside
Joined Nov 2009
285 Posts
I saw some video here with a really great night flight and tried the samething.
The wind was just bearly blowing,but when i startet to fly, I got some pretty hard gusts that shortend the flight. Also after looking at the video, I think it was a little too dark so i will try again without too much wind and a little more light. This is my first night flight with this helicopter.
V200D01 at night with ARMY fuselage on it (3 min 44 sec)
mdeutschman is offline Find More Posts by mdeutschman
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 03, 2011, 09:21 PM
I haveno idea what I am doing
2dmatt's Avatar
United States, SC, Lexington
Joined Jun 2011
123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliGriff View Post
Oh wait.. I get it.. Nose-in. LOL

Yes that's what I mean.
2dmatt is offline Find More Posts by 2dmatt
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 03, 2011, 09:34 PM
my mental eXcape!
HeliGriff's Avatar
USA, Ohio, Catawba Island
Joined Jan 2011
4,411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdeutschman View Post
I saw some video here with a really great night flight and tried the samething.
The wind was just bearly blowing,but when i startet to fly, I got some pretty hard gusts that shortend the flight. Also after looking at the video, I think it was a little too dark so i will try again without too much wind and a little more light. This is my first night flight with this helicopter.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lXObsQWWUU
You're brave. It's fifficult enough to fly them during the day!
HeliGriff is offline Find More Posts by HeliGriff
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 03, 2011, 09:35 PM
my mental eXcape!
HeliGriff's Avatar
USA, Ohio, Catawba Island
Joined Jan 2011
4,411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dmatt View Post
Yes that's what I mean.
Okay, I'm a little slow too.
HeliGriff is offline Find More Posts by HeliGriff
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 03, 2011, 10:03 PM
Registered User
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Jan 2011
1,083 Posts
I had a servo acting a little strangely and made the following inquiry about it to Wowhobbies.

Email sent to Wowhobbies:

I have a Walkera V200D01 that has about 30 hours of flying time on it. It has the original WK-7601 Digital Tail Servo. The servo operates properly, with no problems. I have noticed that when the motor is off the rudder servo very slowly rotates to full right rudder. After I start the motor and the RPM reaches about one third throttle the servo rotation stops. Is this normal?

Reply from WowHobbies:

It sounds correct as the gyro is heading hold.

Jon


Another flybarless mystery solved.
Thanks Jon.
dsobbe is online now Find More Posts by dsobbe
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 03, 2011, 10:37 PM
Registered User
Canada, BC, Nanaimo E
Joined Dec 2010
88 Posts
When I bind sometimes my tail servo creeps up so I unplug and rebind and it seems to center and stops creeping. Who knows.
dkb194 is online now Find More Posts by dkb194
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 03, 2011, 10:45 PM
my mental eXcape!
HeliGriff's Avatar
USA, Ohio, Catawba Island
Joined Jan 2011
4,411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsobbe View Post
I had a servo acting a little strangely and made the following inquiry about it to Wowhobbies.

Email sent to Wowhobbies:

I have a Walkera V200D01 that has about 30 hours of flying time on it. It has the original WK-7601 Digital Tail Servo. The servo operates properly, with no problems. I have noticed that when the motor is off the rudder servo very slowly rotates to full right rudder. After I start the motor and the RPM reaches about one third throttle the servo rotation stops. Is this normal?

Reply from WowHobbies:

It sounds correct as the gyro is heading hold.

Jon


Another flybarless mystery solved.
Thanks Jon.
Dsobbe,

My servo was doing that last week, right before the Tail Rotor Connecting Pole (part#80) broke in half and went flying. The result was the same as in my Post #10 video http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1385262 when the bolt sheared off.

It may be a head-hold gyro, but I can tell you that a "seeking tail" or a continual running servo is NOT a common trait of the V200D01. Whenever I've had the servo continue to seek, I've found a loose or bent "tail-control parts", or loose grip bolts into the hub, or a bent tail shaft #2, or loose tail fin bolts. The problem is that the servo cannot complete its stroke because there is something causing a bind in the tail system. So, the servo slowly continues, trying to complete the last command. Keep in mind that the command may have been requested by the gyro, as you move the heli.

Check the tail really well! I put mine back together tonight and still had a continual running servo. Sure enough, two screws were a little loose on the tail fin, allowing the shaft #2 to wobble ever-so slightly. I could barely detect it by eye. As soon as I snugged them, the servo became snappy like it has always been and ceased all "seeking".

The only other reason a V200D01 will continue to "seek" is if the RUDD EXT gain is turned up higher than the physical stroke is able to deliver.
HeliGriff is offline Find More Posts by HeliGriff
Last edited by HeliGriff; Aug 04, 2011 at 09:11 AM. Reason: Re-worded, added text
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 04, 2011, 05:40 AM
Registered User
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdeutschman View Post
I saw some video here with a really great night flight and tried the samething.
The wind was just bearly blowing,but when i startet to fly, I got some pretty hard gusts that shortend the flight. Also after looking at the video, I think it was a little too dark so i will try again without too much wind and a little more light. This is my first night flight with this helicopter.
Could you post a daylight picture of the heli with that fuse fitted, as the fuse might be a good fit for my incoming 4F180.

Mick
Bravo47 is offline Find More Posts by Bravo47
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 04, 2011, 09:09 AM
Registered User
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Jan 2011
1,083 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliGriff View Post
Dsobbe,

My servo was doing that last week, right before the Tail Rotor Connecting Pole (part#80) broke in half and went flying. The result was the same as in my Post #10 video http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1385262 when the bolt sheared off.

It may be a head-hold gyro, but I can tell you that a "seeking tail" or a continual running servo is NOT a common trait of the V200D01. Whenever I've had the servo continue to seek, I've found a loose or bent "tail-control parts", or loose grip bolts into the hub, or a bent tail shaft #2, or missing tail fin bolts. The servo cannot complete its stroke without something being in a bind. It slowly continues trying to complete the last command, even if the command was requested by the gyro.

Check the tail really well! I put mine back together tonight and still had a continual running servo. Sure enough, two screws had backed out of the tail fin allowing the shaft #2 to wobble ever-so slightly. As soon as I locktited and snugged them, the servo became snappy like it has always been.
Your description is true when the motor is running and a mechanical fault causes abnormal movement. In that case the gyro will hunt, seeking to counter that input.
In my case the motor is off. There is no movement, yet the gyro seems to attempt to counter a slow yaw to the left. The servo rotation stops as soon as the motor reaches about 1/3 throttle. My guess is that the power to the gyro is too low to provide accurate sensing when the motor is off. Or, a random electronic anomaly occurs at binding. That seems more likely as the servo rotation often ceases if I restart the radio. At any rate, it's just an observation and not a problem.
And, I'm sure that the captain of the Titanic felt the same way about iceburg sightings.
dsobbe is online now Find More Posts by dsobbe
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 04, 2011, 10:40 AM
rubber heli skills
United States, OR, Seaside
Joined Nov 2009
285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo47 View Post
Could you post a daylight picture of the heli with that fuse fitted, as the fuse might be a good fit for my incoming 4F180.

Mick
Ok Mick. The fuselage i have on this one came with 3 of them and they are durable.( I call them my V200 bubble) As far as where i got them i just kept looking on Ebay and got lucky.


Here is the first flight with the fuselage on it.The skid got caught on the table on take off.
Walkera V200D01 outdoor fuselage test (5 min 21 sec)

It has seen alot of crashes and the front end has alot of shoogoo and started to look bad so i painted it to cover the uglyness and here it is painted army.


This fuselage is a little heavy from the goo and paint so the V200 has the turbo ace motor from wowhobbies and also has the belt conversion installed which is way better than the shaft driven. If you noticed on the night flight video the hard landing on the tail section did no damage. If i would of had the shaft with the gears (Stock). I would be replacing gears for sure. It also has 450 cp skids attached with velcro so they pop off on a crash.
I cant find Those fuselages anymore,but i keep looking. Here are some fuselages that will fit with a little modification.( I have tried them and they work.)
http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_from=R4...All-Categories
Most Co-ax fuselages will work also if their the same length.
Dont use these fuselages,because they are foammies.
http://cgi.ebay.com/RC-HELICOPTER-BO...item2c5b33a6ff
I have tried them and they are NOT crash proof.
Hope this helps, Mark
mdeutschman is offline Find More Posts by mdeutschman
Last edited by mdeutschman; Aug 04, 2011 at 10:48 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion V200D01 Walkera 200 size FBL FP, yep another newy! Ampdraw Micro Helis 143 Apr 23, 2011 02:42 AM
Mini-Review Walkera UFLY helicopter mini review ehirobo Micro Helis 8 Jan 16, 2011 09:21 PM
Discussion NE Free Spirit or Walkera V200D01 JHawk19 Micro Helis 11 Jul 20, 2010 12:53 AM
Discussion SNEAK PEAK Walkera 7.4v 2S Flybarless 4#6 (V200D01) Z06 Tony Micro Helis 0 Jun 25, 2010 10:34 AM
Discussion Walkera 52#1 Mini Review Swilson50 Micro Helis 0 Apr 05, 2007 01:19 AM