SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 01, 2011, 03:59 AM
Joined Nov 2010
929 Posts
Thanks. Apart from orientation practice its the dynamics that make heli piloting a fun challenge. The field is great with nothing to jump in front of the heli. I'll probably make some small flags with lights as ground markers to fly around next.
nese is offline Find More Posts by nese
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 01, 2011, 05:17 AM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nese View Post
Thanks. Apart from orientation practice its the dynamics that make heli piloting a fun challenge. The field is great with nothing to jump in front of the heli. I'll probably make some small flags with lights as ground markers to fly around next.
Have you ever watched RL helicopters land so easily on their ever so small helipads in various locations. Try using a helipad with an RC heli, its much harder than it looks.

LM3 (1 min 33 sec)
Bravo47 is offline Find More Posts by Bravo47
Old Aug 01, 2011, 09:07 AM
my mental eXcape!
USA, Ohio, Catawba Island
Joined Jan 2011
4,408 Posts
Quote:
I think this is true since I remember the extreme pitch ups only after this terrible forward tumble crash from FF in the field and probably after the hours of previous and subsequent flight. Thing is it's difficult to say when it actually happens since there's always some kind of wind here but it varies tremendously.

Now that it's nice and controllable again here's sneaking in another short clip with CCW circles which I'm practicing (I find CW circles much easier though I'm not sure why) - and hardly any pitch up problems here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YG5Tvd5GFJA
You've earned your wings! Nice flying!
HeliGriff is offline Find More Posts by HeliGriff
Old Aug 01, 2011, 09:18 AM
my mental eXcape!
Joined Jan 2011
4,408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo47 View Post
Have you ever watched RL helicopters land so easily on their ever so small helipads in various locations. Try using a helipad with an RC heli, its much harder than it looks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJD0bdDTF3s
It's FUN!

I use my laptop as my landing pad inside the house with my little coaxial. The intersections of the saw-cuts in concrete are my "bases" for the V200's. I fly from one to another and land on the intersections of the saw cuts, nose-in. I love high-approach nose-in landings because they offer the most realism to a full size helicopter landing.

I'm not quite there yet with my 450. I can only land it inside a hoola-hoop at this point, tail-in. I'll keep practicing though!
Old Aug 01, 2011, 10:20 AM
Joined Nov 2010
929 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliGriff View Post
You've earned your wings! Nice flying!
Thanks HeliGriff. I'm just working up enough practice to re-approach my 400 heli that has this vibration problem I need to fix. And of course I'm having fun at the same time. Hope to see one of your practice videos for your high nose in approaches and landing with the V200 and soon the 450

Happy flying!
Old Aug 01, 2011, 10:31 AM
Joined Nov 2010
929 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo47 View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJD0bdDTF3s
Yes, it's not easy. I too have a coaxial (a Walkerized HQ852 (renamed W852)) that I use for flying around the house and I sometimes use the round seat of wooden stools just under a foot in diameter as helipads. Still practicing.

Landing outdoors on the helipad with wind conditions will probably be more challenging but it still looks like a helipad project is in view.
Old Aug 01, 2011, 02:10 PM
my mental eXcape!
Joined Jan 2011
4,408 Posts
Quote:
Thanks HeliGriff. I'm just working up enough practice to re-approach my 400 heli that has this vibration problem I need to fix. And of course I'm having fun at the same time. Hope to see one of your practice videos for your high nose in approaches and landing with the V200 and soon the 450

Happy flying!
Hopefully, my cameras will be here this week! One for the bird ..and video-glasses for me. Like I said, you'll be able to watch the CRASH from BOTH angles
Old Aug 01, 2011, 10:58 PM
Joined Nov 2010
929 Posts
I can relate - here's a video from a few months ago with a lost signal crash on my coax. Crash in Heli view and 3rd person view . Thankfully 'walked away with nothing more than a bent main shaft that I bent back.

HQ852 RC Helicopter Outdoor FPV Altitude Flight & Crash (1 min 37 sec)

Hope this never happens to any of my 180/200 class Walkeras because I'd have to take it out of next quarter's heli budget to pay for the damage.

I'm probably going to try mount one of those small cameras on the V200 too, but I know this bird is not going to take a full FPV rig. Then again you never know when technology is going to make that next leap forward

... I think I'll take a rest now and get back to work for the week ...and stop filling this thread with fluff. Happy flying y'all
Last edited by nese; Aug 01, 2011 at 11:06 PM. Reason: added video link
Old Aug 01, 2011, 11:11 PM
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Jan 2011
1,079 Posts
Great video Nese. That last shot really shows how these egg beaters glide when the fan stops. It looked like a home sick manhole cover.
dsobbe is offline Find More Posts by dsobbe
Old Aug 01, 2011, 11:12 PM
my mental eXcape!
Joined Jan 2011
4,408 Posts
Quote:
I can relate - here's a video from a few months ago with a lost signal crash on my coax. Crash in Heli view and 3rd person view . Thankfully 'walked away with nothing more than a bent main shaft that I bent back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPjrzxO8D8Q

Hope this never happens to any of my 180/200 class Walkeras because I'd have to take it out of next quarter's heli budget to pay for the damage.

I'm probably going to try mount one of those small cameras on the V200 too, but I know this bird is not going to take a full FPV rig. Then again you never know when technology is going to make that next leap forward

... I think I'll take a rest now and get back to work for the week ...and stop filling this thread with fluff. Happy flying y'all
wow! That's really good video!
Old Aug 01, 2011, 11:22 PM
I haveno idea what I am doing
United States, SC, Lexington
Joined Jun 2011
123 Posts
Great videos nese! I finally got my servo fixed and I cleaned all the shavings out of my swashplate. It is amazing what the sleeve mod does for this bird. Truth be told I am a noob and a pretty bad pilot but now this baby cruises along really nice! I put way less input on the sticks. I finally feel like I am flying the Heli instead of the other way around.
2dmatt is offline Find More Posts by 2dmatt
Old Aug 02, 2011, 02:07 AM
Joined Nov 2010
929 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsobbe View Post
Great video Nese. That last shot really shows how these egg beaters glide when the fan stops. It looked like a home sick manhole cover.
LOL! Thanks! If you can identify it there was probably some heliview of involuntary 3D flying (falling) too.
Old Aug 02, 2011, 02:10 AM
Joined Nov 2010
929 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliGriff View Post
wow! That's really good video!
Thanks for the kind comment. I gotta share that the feeling was not good when it happened, but at least I got the video out of it.

Looking forward to seeing your videos - 1st hand and 3rd person view. Let's make it a deal that we don't do range test videos

I'll start thinking of a flycam rig for my V200 this weekend
Old Aug 02, 2011, 02:13 AM
Joined Nov 2010
929 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dmatt View Post
Great videos nese! I finally got my servo fixed and I cleaned all the shavings out of my swashplate. It is amazing what the sleeve mod does for this bird. Truth be told I am a noob and a pretty bad pilot but now this baby cruises along really nice! I put way less input on the sticks. I finally feel like I am flying the Heli instead of the other way around.
I'm a noob too in this multifaceted hobby and still learning the various ropes from the rest of the masters here ...We will be better pilots tomorrow (in my case its more like when the weekend comes again)

I like this v200 heli - especially with the ground-breaking sleeve mod!
Old Aug 02, 2011, 11:53 AM
my mental eXcape!
Joined Jan 2011
4,408 Posts
The camera I bought has a pocket clip on it. My intention is to attach a CF rod across the skid, through the clip, so when I take off the camera swings down in an upright position (head forward). When I land, it just swivels up between the skids. I think that would be the simplest way to do it. We'll see!