HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jul 31, 2011, 02:54 AM
Registered User
nese's Avatar
Joined Nov 2010
921 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliGriff View Post
Very nice! I like the equipment! I could have used that today when I forgot my timer!

Even more, I like seeing all the nose-in & lazy piros. It really helps when you have to recover from disorientaion!

I had my V200 out today and got it all spun around at quite a distance away. It was going down sideways. First, I had to spin it just to tell which way it was pointing so I could recover. I saw some yellow come into view and was then able to correct, quite nicely I might add! I couldn't have done that without all the hours I've spent practicing that very thing.

Thanks for the video!
You're welcome. Lazy piros are my speciality . And yes, I'm still tripping in the air every now and then, but the fighting the wind with the bucks in the past did actually help with the skill level. In the meantime, more CCW big circle practices for me.

Btw I've decided to strap on the fuel gauge so its found a new home on this heli - this says a lot in my books. Now this heli is on my "keep" list - this only happens when the lights come on with the fuel gauge
nese is offline Find More Posts by nese
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 31, 2011, 09:36 AM
my mental eXcape!
HeliGriff's Avatar
USA, Ohio, Catawba Island
Joined Jan 2011
4,339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexaglob View Post
If anyone interested these flash leds with wires http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT have wide range of voltage, i tested 3.7V-12V. No resistors required.
Luv your Avatar! I'm a DaVinci fan.
HeliGriff is offline Find More Posts by HeliGriff
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2011, 09:46 AM
my mental eXcape!
HeliGriff's Avatar
USA, Ohio, Catawba Island
Joined Jan 2011
4,339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nese View Post
You're welcome. Lazy piros are my speciality . And yes, I'm still tripping in the air every now and then, but the fighting the wind with the bucks in the past did actually help with the skill level. In the meantime, more CCW big circle practices for me.

Btw I've decided to strap on the fuel gauge so its found a new home on this heli - this says a lot in my books. Now this heli is on my "keep" list - this only happens when the lights come on with the fuel gauge
Awesome! I'm thinking about one of those squealing voltage meters that you wire-in on the heli. I keep forgetting to start my timer and I have a tendacy to run the batteries too low.

We owe a lot to Dsobbe/Bravo47 for the sleeve mod. I've always been able to get my helis super-stable for hovering, even for hands-off. But, the pitch-up's made it very hard for doing smooth circuits. Now it's like flying a floating rock.. much better! Other than not being able to handle as much wind, the V200D01 now flies more like my collective pitch 450.

Have a great day!
HeliGriff is offline Find More Posts by HeliGriff
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2011, 10:27 AM
my mental eXcape!
HeliGriff's Avatar
USA, Ohio, Catawba Island
Joined Jan 2011
4,339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsobbe View Post
Sorry, but I won't pay less than 10,000,000.00

I'll check out Xheli. I want to replace the canopy on my 4F180. It's too dark to stand out at a distance. Besides, the color scheme looks like it was picked out by a Chinese restraunt decorator.
Thanks for the offer. I appreciate it and will keep it in mind.
By the way.. my Classima 300 canopy is Red.
HeliGriff is offline Find More Posts by HeliGriff
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2011, 11:56 AM
Registered User
alexaglob's Avatar
Joined Nov 2010
793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliGriff View Post
Luv your Avatar! I'm a DaVinci fan.
Yep, great innovative mind.
alexaglob is offline Find More Posts by alexaglob
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2011, 12:23 PM
Registered User
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Jan 2011
1,035 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliGriff View Post
By the way.. my Classima 300 canopy is Red.
That would work. I'm doing a little experimenting with visibility. See my Post #148 at:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0#post18915201
dsobbe is offline Find More Posts by dsobbe
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2011, 01:24 PM
Registered User
Huntington Beach, CA
Joined Jan 2011
236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliGriff View Post
Awhile back, my antenna fell off of the RX and is gone. Meanwhile, my TX batteries were down to about 25%. When I was flying the other day, the heli got about a block down the street and just landed itself. That's the third time it has happened, landing squarely on the skids! (lucky) I walked down to it, spooled it up and flew it back, walking behind it.

It's likely a loose connection or intermittent ESC that caused the problem. But, I'm thinking it may have been caused by me exceeding the radio range because of the missing antenna.

Does anyone know if the RX has a fail-safe built-in that cuts power when it's out of radio range? Does anyone know what size/type of antenna wire I should buy to replace the original?
Signal Loss from Radio
I have had this happen once using my 2403 tx in about 3 months of using it. The heli was only about 60 feet away when I heard the Tx beep and the heli slowly spooled down and landed. I remember being somewhat embarrassed that the heli came down in a more stable fashion than many of the landings at my hands. I could never figure out what happened. I figured it was just an unlucky shot of interference from all the wireless devices that saturate the neighborhood. I have not had that happen in the 3 months that I have used the 2801 tx. I figure it might be because of the higher power output, but i can only speculate since I only have one data point.

The system actually have some sort of fail-safe built in. All you have to do is power up the heli to hover power while holding it, then switch off the Tx and you'll see how it reverts to neutral controls just slowly spools down over several seconds. It works quite well I must say.
paul2pilot is offline Find More Posts by paul2pilot
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2011, 01:34 PM
Registered User
Huntington Beach, CA
Joined Jan 2011
236 Posts
Brass Sleeve Mod for Pitch Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliGriff View Post
Awesome! I'm thinking about one of those squealing voltage meters that you wire-in on the heli. I keep forgetting to start my timer and I have a tendacy to run the batteries too low.

We owe a lot to Dsobbe/Bravo47 for the sleeve mod. I've always been able to get my helis super-stable for hovering, even for hands-off. But, the pitch-up's made it very hard for doing smooth circuits. Now it's like flying a floating rock.. much better! Other than not being able to handle as much wind, the V200D01 now flies more like my collective pitch 450.

Have a great day!
I tried the sleeve mod and unfortunately I have noticed very little improvement to the pitch up tendency. I found the 3/16" brass sleeve stock at Ace Hardware and it fits perfectly. I was very careful to make sure the sleeve lengths were correct and went through about 4 length iterations on the bottom sleeve. There appears to be very little play on the swash, so I was very hopeful, but no dice for me. I know only a few have tried this and the results seem mixed from not much difference to huge difference. Any ideas?

Has anyone else tried the 4F180 Rx on the V200? I know Candy had some trouble with it, but I'm curious if there's another data point out there.

Paul M
paul2pilot is offline Find More Posts by paul2pilot
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2011, 02:11 PM
Registered User
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Jan 2011
1,035 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul2pilot View Post
I tried the sleeve mod and unfortunately I have noticed very little improvement to the pitch up tendency. Any ideas?
Paul M
The first thing I will suggest is that you increase the elevator sens. If that doesn't help, then try the following.

"Any" vertical play in the swashplate after adding the sleeves will still allow pitch up. You have to get all the play out. At the same time, make sure that the upper pushrods are not pulling or pushing on the rotor head or it will become very sensitive to pitch inputs. To check this, remove one upper pushrod ball link and then lay it back on the ball. It should lay perfectly centered on the ball. If not, adjust its length to correct it. Then, recheck your blade tracking.

Also, this rotor head/undercambered rotor blade combination is naturally sensitive to pitch in forward flight and really needs a little, not much, forward C.G. Try a small amount of weight in the nose, first. That should do it. If you use different batteries of different weights it may be a good idea to do the battery mod, Post #581 http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...282125&page=39
dsobbe is offline Find More Posts by dsobbe
Last edited by dsobbe; Jul 31, 2011 at 02:38 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2011, 02:16 PM
my mental eXcape!
HeliGriff's Avatar
USA, Ohio, Catawba Island
Joined Jan 2011
4,339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul2pilot View Post
I tried the sleeve mod and unfortunately I have noticed very little improvement to the pitch up tendency. I found the 3/16" brass sleeve stock at Ace Hardware and it fits perfectly. I was very careful to make sure the sleeve lengths were correct and went through about 4 length iterations on the bottom sleeve. There appears to be very little play on the swash, so I was very hopeful, but no dice for me. I know only a few have tried this and the results seem mixed from not much difference to huge difference. Any ideas?

Has anyone else tried the 4F180 Rx on the V200? I know Candy had some trouble with it, but I'm curious if there's another data point out there.

Paul M
Perhaps you did not have much verticle slop to start with. therefore, not much improvement. For me, it was a big improvement.
HeliGriff is offline Find More Posts by HeliGriff
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2011, 06:46 PM
Registered User
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliGriff View Post
Perhaps you did not have much verticle slop to start with. therefore, not much improvement. For me, it was a big improvement.
This may be the case for some newer aircraft. I found that my CB100, 4#6, and V200 never had an agressive pitch up issue when they were new. It was only after some flying time that it became an issue with these helicopters.

My Uflys is the only Walkera "2servo" helicopter that does not have this failing because I'm guessing its because the elevator servo controls the swash from the front like all my CP 120deg swash helicopters. I guess the Ufly would kick up if I was capable of flying it fast backwards. Luckily im not that skilled, so my Ufly flies great

I think the theory of this sleeve mod is solid. You have to remember though if your outdoors and there is any breeze its likely your heli will still kick back as you turn into the wind. My blew away at the field last week during a wind gust. I use my Uflys and my V200 to test the breeze sometimes before sending up my more expensive CP helicopters. That might sound a bit crazy, but if I can do a few circuits with these light weight FP heli's then I know for sure that theres no with gust hiding up there waiting to ambush my CP helis. Think of the V200 as a "pawn" and the Uflys a "Knight".

This is not a failing of the heli other than its too light and gets blown away. Theres nothing we can do about that apart from buying larger aircraft for outdoors. Try test flying the mod in zero wind conditions or within a BB stadium, and I think you will find its an improvement over the "no sleeve sloppy swash".

Mick
Bravo47 is offline Find More Posts by Bravo47
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2011, 07:15 PM
my mental eXcape!
HeliGriff's Avatar
USA, Ohio, Catawba Island
Joined Jan 2011
4,339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo47 View Post
This may be the case for some newer aircraft. I found that my CB100, 4#6, and V200 never had an agressive pitch up issue when they were new. It was only after some flying time that it became an issue with these helicopters.

My Uflys is the only Walkera "2servo" helicopter that does not have this failing because I'm guessing its because the elevator servo controls the swash from the front like all my CP 120deg swash helicopters. I guess the Ufly would kick up if I was capable of flying it fast backwards. Luckily im not that skilled, so my Ufly flies great

I think the theory of this sleeve mod is solid. You have to remember though if your outdoors and there is any breeze its likely your heli will still kick back as you turn into the wind. My blew away at the field last week during a wind gust. I use my Uflys and my V200 to test the breeze sometimes before sending up my more expensive CP helicopters. That might sound a bit crazy, but if I can do a few circuits with these light weight FP heli's then I know for sure that theres no with gust hiding up there waiting to ambush my CP helis. Think of the V200 as a "pawn" and the Uflys a "Knight".

This is not a failing of the heli other than its too light and gets blown away. Theres nothing we can do about that apart from buying larger aircraft for outdoors. Try test flying the mod in zero wind conditions or within a BB stadium, and I think you will find its an improvement over the "no sleeve sloppy swash".

Mick
Coincidental that you mention this. Earlier today, I posted on another blog that I like to fly a battery through my V200 before flying the CP 450, as a warm-up exercise.

True, the V200D01 does not like wind at all. It's too lightweight. However, the mod has helped mine, in a breeze. Still, it's nice having 0 to 9 degrees pitch on the CP heli. With the pitch pre-set at 11.5 on the V200, it is sometimes a challenge bringing it back to earth, in a wind.
HeliGriff is offline Find More Posts by HeliGriff
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2011, 07:38 PM
Registered User
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliGriff View Post
Coincidental that you mention this. Earlier today, I posted on another blog that I like to fly a battery through my V200 before flying the CP 450, as a warm-up exercise.
Yeah I do the same. Even at the basket ball stadium I'll sit there talking to the guys while doing a few circuits, perhaps putting two packs through my 4#6 before taking anything else up. The Ufly and V200 perform the same function at the field. The beauty of the V200, D02 fitted with extreme tail kit in my case is that its probably my most durable helicopter in a crash. The V200 has cost me less in parts than most of my other RC with the exception of my CP3 which has cost me nothing apart from the initial electrical upgrades i did. Its a very smooth flyer, never crashed. Its only flaw is its under powered brushed motor, and a VP tail would be nice.

Mick
Bravo47 is offline Find More Posts by Bravo47
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2011, 09:55 PM
Registered User
nese's Avatar
Joined Nov 2010
921 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo47 View Post
This may be the case for some newer aircraft. I found that my CB100, 4#6, and V200 never had an agressive pitch up issue when they were new. It was only after some flying time that it became an issue with these helicopters.
I think this is true since I remember the extreme pitch ups only after this terrible forward tumble crash from FF in the field and probably after the hours of previous and subsequent flight. Thing is it's difficult to say when it actually happens since there's always some kind of wind here but it varies tremendously.

Now that it's nice and controllable again here's sneaking in another short clip with CCW circles which I'm practicing (I find CW circles much easier though I'm not sure why) - and hardly any pitch up problems here

My V200D01 CCW flying practice with navigation lights outdoors at dawn (1 min 35 sec)
nese is offline Find More Posts by nese
Last edited by nese; Jul 31, 2011 at 10:09 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2011, 11:17 PM
Registered User
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
Nice calm controlled circuits. Nice flying. I think learning to control the speed through the circuit helps you grow with this hobby. Its easier to fly a fast wild circuit than a slower smooth continuously fluid one.
Bravo47 is offline Find More Posts by Bravo47
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion V200D01 Walkera 200 size FBL FP, yep another newy! Ampdraw Micro Helis 143 Apr 23, 2011 01:42 AM
Mini-Review Walkera UFLY helicopter mini review ehirobo Micro Helis 8 Jan 16, 2011 08:21 PM
Discussion NE Free Spirit or Walkera V200D01 JHawk19 Micro Helis 11 Jul 19, 2010 11:53 PM
Discussion SNEAK PEAK Walkera 7.4v 2S Flybarless 4#6 (V200D01) Z06 Tony Micro Helis 0 Jun 25, 2010 09:34 AM
Discussion Walkera 52#1 Mini Review Swilson50 Micro Helis 0 Apr 05, 2007 12:19 AM