HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 24, 2011, 01:21 PM
my mental eXcape!
USA, Ohio, Catawba Island
Joined Jan 2011
4,203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsobbe View Post
I never thought about it. But, you may be right!

Don't worry. Be positive about it. One more heli isn't going to make any difference at your divorce hearing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo47 View Post
When you look into the reasons why the heli can buck or pitch up. It can only be one of two things.

1. Swash moving up and down on elevator plane due to free play.

2. Problematic elevator gyro, or settings.

It you do the mod then increase gyro gain until it wobbles, then back it off in small amount until the wobble settles. Personally I also like a neutral CG, slightly forward bias.
Hat's off to Bravo47 & Dsobbe for the Sleeve Mod! I finally got out to test fly her today with both Battery CG & Swash Sleeve Mods. Well, it's a 10 on the Mod Score! What a course this topic has taken since we first started talking about it back in May http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1385262&page=2

Great job guys!! Dsobbe would have received a prize, but he already has everything that flies.
HeliGriff is online now Find More Posts by HeliGriff
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 24, 2011, 06:53 PM
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Jan 2011
1,000 Posts
I've forgotten how to calculate the usable flying time on a LiPo and can't find it anywhere. To prevent over discharge, I know it's calculated at 80% of a LiPo's capacity.
If you know the current draw at hover and the mah rating of the battery, how do you determine flight time in minutes?

BTW, using a DVM I measured the current draw of the V200D01 and 4F180 with stock motors at hover RPM. They are:

V200D01 - 4.7A
4F180 - 5.9A

Those are nominal values. They will vary on your helo, depending upon mechanical friction and meter lead lengths.
dsobbe is online now Find More Posts by dsobbe
Old Jul 24, 2011, 07:38 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,000 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliGriff View Post
Great job guys!! Dsobbe would have received a prize, but he already has everything that flies.
Thanks. I don't have everything that flies. But, sometimes I have flies.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 08:22 PM
I haveno idea what I am doing
United States, SC, Lexington
Joined Jun 2011
123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkb194 View Post
I bought 10 pair of Genuine Walkera CB 180Z blades and tried them on my V200 D01. No go. They weigh about 2 grams less than my V200 blades. I used lama B blades but had to cut them down but they worked. Any body use other than Walkera. Want goo blades but want to save money???
I have 1 180z and 1stock blade on mine and it works fine. Whats the problem?
2dmatt is offline Find More Posts by 2dmatt
Old Jul 24, 2011, 09:11 PM
Canada, BC, Nanaimo E
Joined Dec 2010
88 Posts
Blades

The CB 180z blades are 2 gram's lighter, thinner stock and 1/2" longer than the V200D01 stock blades. I just don't seem to get any lift. I did have a spin problem that seems to be there every second flight that I thought I corrected by changing tail gears.

I'll try the 180Z blades on my other V200 that is flying well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dmatt View Post
I have 1 180z and 1stock blade on mine and it works fine. Whats the problem?
dkb194 is offline Find More Posts by dkb194
Old Jul 24, 2011, 09:44 PM
hoten-x,master-cp,v120d02s,etc
Tampa,FL
Joined Dec 2003
994 Posts
Quote:
I've forgotten how to calculate the usable flying time on a LiPo and can't find it anywhere. To prevent over discharge, I know it's calculated at 80% of a LiPo's capacity.
If you know the current draw at hover and the mah rating of the battery, how do you determine flight time in minutes?

BTW, using a DVM I measured the current draw of the V200D01 and 4F180 with stock motors at hover RPM. They are:

V200D01 - 4.7A
4F180 - 5.9A

Those are nominal values. They will vary on your helo, depending upon mechanical friction and meter lead lengths.

I've been using these from helidirect on my helis for a while now and they are great. I just wired it right into the battery mains off the esc so it's always connected. The led's are pretty easy to see even in bright sunlight and the beeper is easy to hear too. Takes the guess work out of it. Plus the v200/4f180 airframe has a perfect spot to attach them as you can see in the pic.

candy76man is online now Find More Posts by candy76man
Old Jul 24, 2011, 09:59 PM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
The 180z blades although slightly longer, they are also less rigid, so they cone more which is a blade more suited to hovering like the CB180 series with its 45deg phased flybar is intended. So if you want a tame V200 then perhaps 180 blades are a better choice. The Airy blades behave in a similar way to the 180 series blades, but the "Airy" blades are more durable.

The V200 blades are more rigid and slightly wider. I find they give me more lift and are more suited to faster forward flight. I actually have V200 blades fitted to my old CB180D as well, along with cut down lighter flybar weights its quite mobile like a 4#6Bell.
Bravo47 is offline Find More Posts by Bravo47
Old Jul 25, 2011, 05:48 AM
Joined Nov 2010
886 Posts
I was looking for slop in blade movement and could not help notice the floating design (on rubber bushings) of the blade mounts to the main shaft gave a significant level of slop. Would this contribute to the bucking?
nese is offline Find More Posts by nese
Old Jul 25, 2011, 07:02 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,000 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by candy76man View Post
The led's are pretty easy to see even in bright sunlight and the beeper is easy to hear too.

Plus the v200/4f180 airframe has a perfect spot to attach them as you can see in the pic.
The Maxpro unit sounds good and fits our machines. Nice installation. I just ordered one. Thanks.
Still, I like to be able to calculate battery run times. It's the only way to know if preset BEC's and monitor/alarms are programmed optimally.
Last edited by dsobbe; Jul 25, 2011 at 07:46 AM.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 07:06 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,000 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nese View Post
I was looking for slop in blade movement and could not help notice the floating design (on rubber bushings) of the blade mounts to the main shaft gave a significant level of slop. Would this contribute to the bucking?
Stop hitting your head on the wall and do the sleeve mod.

But to answer your question, only very slightly. The O rings are dampers that stop cyclic vibration. A too loose feathering shaft primarily gives a soft feel to pitch and roll control.
I added thin slices of 1/8" I.D. silicon fuel tubing to compress the O rings slightly and stiffen the feathering shaft. That did make the controls a little more precise. But, if you make the feathering shaft too tight the head will start to vibrate and the helicopter wobble. That kind of wobbling is not related to the gyros. So, make sure the gyros are tuned before doing anything with the rotor head.
BTW, nice lights!
Last edited by dsobbe; Jul 25, 2011 at 07:50 AM. Reason: Added material.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 07:44 AM
Joined Nov 2010
886 Posts
Thanks... I'm still looking around for the tubing for the sleeve mod so after scratching my fingers with the light project I found my fingers itching again 'suppose I was out on a witch hunt.

Last weekend I was flying really low and got a little grass caught in my tail rotor hub. Enough to cause a verticle tail wobble, but not enough to jam the mechanism or break the teeth on the umbrella gears. Phew!
nese is offline Find More Posts by nese
Old Jul 25, 2011, 10:03 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,000 Posts
Quote:
I've forgotten how to calculate the usable flying time on a LiPo and can't find it anywhere.
Found it.

Safe running time to minimum voltage is calculated as:

Run_time(min) = capacity(Ah)/CurrentDraw(A) x 60 min/hr

Ex: 2200 mAh battery hooked up to a motor pulling 18A

Run_time = 2.200Ah/18A x 60 = 7.33 min

Want to use the 80% discharge rule? then do this:

Run_time = 2.2 x 0.8/18 x 60 = 5.87 min.

or just multiply 7.33 by 0.8 and you also get 5.87 min.

Unless you spend a lot of time at high throttle flying aerobatics, the measured current draw of a helicopter at hover is a good mean average current reading for this calculation.
Last edited by dsobbe; Jul 26, 2011 at 08:02 AM. Reason: Correction
Old Jul 25, 2011, 02:13 PM
my mental eXcape!
Joined Jan 2011
4,203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nese View Post
Nese,

FYI: dozens of people have replaced the rubber rings with stiffer ones, thinking it would help, because it does help on CP helis. On the V200's it actually makes the heli fly worse than ever. It must have "slop" around the feathering shaft because of the FP Pitch-Rocker design.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 02:17 PM
my mental eXcape!
Joined Jan 2011
4,203 Posts
Quote:
Found it.

LiPo running time to minimum safe voltage is calculated as:

LiPo mah rating / 1000 X C rating X .8 (80% capacity) / current draw = minutes of running time to minimum safe voltage.

Example: 1000mah/1000=1Ax30C=30X.8=24/4.7A=5.1minutes

Unless you spend a lot of time at high throttle flying aerobatics, the measured current draw of a helicopter at hover is a good mean average current reading for this calculation.
Just ordered a 350W iCharger 208B, paraboard, and power supply! One charger, six batteries at a time, 15 minutes max charge for 2C 1200Mah 20C, 1 hour for 3C 2200mah 30C. www.epbuddy.com
Old Jul 25, 2011, 04:18 PM
hoten-x,master-cp,v120d02s,etc
Tampa,FL
Joined Dec 2003
994 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliGriff View Post
Just ordered a 350W iCharger 208B, paraboard, and power supply! One charger, six batteries at a time, 15 minutes max charge for 2C 1200Mah 20C, 1 hour for 3C 2200mah 30C. www.epbuddy.com
You'll love it..I use the 306B with a paraboard.
candy76man is online now Find More Posts by candy76man