Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 23, 2011, 10:02 AM
my mental eXcape!
USA, Ohio, Catawba Island
Joined Jan 2011
4,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsobbe View Post
...I know it's frustrating trying to identify a problem in these glorified egg beaters.
Amen!
HeliGriff is offline Find More Posts by HeliGriff
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 23, 2011, 05:39 PM
I haveno idea what I am doing
United States, SC, Lexington
Joined Jun 2011
123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by candy76man View Post
Well, I ordered a new swash, I'm hoping that play in my swash is enough to make a difference because the sleeve mod hasn't made a difference on mine.

Have you done the battery mod to move the CG forward? If not, That might help.
2dmatt is offline Find More Posts by 2dmatt
Old Jul 24, 2011, 12:18 AM
Huntington Beach, CA
Joined Jan 2011
236 Posts
I noticed a bit of up and down play on the swash, so I tried twisting each of the servo control arm ball connectors in opposite directions as far as they would go on each ball joint and now there is zero play. I'll have to try that out tomorrow. I wonder if you can sidestep the brass tube mod this way. I guess I'll find out tomorrow and let everyone know. Anyone else tried this?

BTW, this made a large improvement on my V120D02. A lot less up and down motion in FFF since the rotor pitch (i.e. up and down motion of the swash) had much less slop.

Paul M
paul2pilot is offline Find More Posts by paul2pilot
Last edited by paul2pilot; Jul 24, 2011 at 12:28 AM.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 01:11 AM
Canada, BC, Nanaimo E
Joined Dec 2010
88 Posts
CB180Z blades on V200

I bought 10 pair of Genuine Walkera CB 180Z blades and tried them on my V200 D01. No go. They weigh about 2 grams less than my V200 blades. I used lama B blades but had to cut them down but they worked. Any body use other than Walkera. Want goo blades but want to save money???
dkb194 is offline Find More Posts by dkb194
Old Jul 24, 2011, 02:15 AM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkb194 View Post
I bought 10 pair of Genuine Walkera CB 180Z blades and tried them on my V200 D01. No go. They weigh about 2 grams less than my V200 blades. I used lama B blades but had to cut them down but they worked. Any body use other than Walkera. Want goo blades but want to save money???
Ive used Airy blades before. They are quite robust, but I think the stock blades are the best performers.

Link Airy - http://www.helipal.com/airy-parts_harden-blades.html
Bravo47 is offline Find More Posts by Bravo47
Old Jul 24, 2011, 02:24 AM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul2pilot View Post
I wonder if you can sidestep the brass tube mod this way.
I doubt it. I think you have compressed the dampening "o" rings on the feathering shaft as well as putting stress on the link rods tempting link rod to split.

Sorry I dont think you can sort out swash play that way. You could use heat shrink instead of tube. Just cut it a little oversize then shrink it onto the shaft before trimming to the correct length. I think the tube idea is the best so far. My opinion anyhow

Mick

ps- I cracked and ordered a 4F180 today to I can explore some crazy theories further.
Bravo47 is offline Find More Posts by Bravo47
Old Jul 24, 2011, 06:33 AM
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Jan 2011
1,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo47 View Post
I doubt it.
ps- I cracked and ordered a 4F180 today to I can explore some crazy theories further.
Yes. It's an addiction. I succumbed to it a week ago. Here are a few theories you need to try "before" flying it.

1. Install a wider landing gear. It falls over easier than a two dollar hooker, or the V200D01.
2. Take all of the slop out of the tail gears or the torque from the three blade tail rotor will chew them up. I learned that one twenty feet in the air when I invented the rotational landing. Got lucky. No damage.

It's so quiet you could fly it in bed and not wake your wife. But, I haven't tried that yet. So, let me know how it goes. And, where to send the get well card.
dsobbe is offline Find More Posts by dsobbe
Old Jul 24, 2011, 08:04 AM
my mental eXcape!
Joined Jan 2011
4,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsobbe View Post
It's so quiet you could fly it in bed and not wake your wife. But, I haven't tried that yet. So, let me know how it goes. And, where to send the get well card.
LOL! too funny! too true!
Old Jul 24, 2011, 10:43 AM
Joined Nov 2010
916 Posts
V200D01 nav light project

Not finding any suitable tubing at my LHS for the shaft sleeve mod I resorted to completing the nav light project I sought parts for months ago. here's a vid of it of it flying in a light breeze.

My V200D01 navigation lights outdoors at dusk (1 min 32 sec)

From the lights I think you would be able to see I'm still fighting the buck. Anyone tried the heat shrink tube Mick mentioned?
nese is offline Find More Posts by nese
Old Jul 24, 2011, 11:18 AM
my mental eXcape!
Joined Jan 2011
4,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nese View Post
Not finding any suitable tubing at my LHS for the shaft sleeve mod I resorted to completing the nav light project I sought parts for months ago. here's a vid of it of it flying in a light breeze.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4kWOqV1nHs

From the lights I think you would be able to see I'm still fighting the buck. Anyone tried the heat shrink tube Mick mentioned?
I haven't kept up on who used skid tubing and who used 3/16.. but I can tell you that my old skid tubing didn't work, on mine. Instead, I used 3/16" aluminum. PLUS, I ground a bevel around the outside edge of each end of the tubing, just to make sure it didn't interfere with the swash.

Nice lights!
Old Jul 24, 2011, 11:21 AM
my mental eXcape!
Joined Jan 2011
4,318 Posts
Quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4kWOqV1nHs

Nese, tighten up those blades!!! Firm, but movable when heli is shaken while sideways. It makes a big difference and helps to stop tip overs.

Jus tryin' to help
Old Jul 24, 2011, 11:41 AM
Joined Nov 2010
916 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliGriff View Post
I haven't kept up on who used skid tubing and who used 3/16.. but I can tell you that my old skid tubing didn't work, on mine. Instead, I used 3/16" aluminum. PLUS, I ground a bevel around the outside edge of each end of the tubing, just to make sure it didn't interfere with the swash.

Nice lights!
Thanks!!

Regarding the sleeve mod I think Mick was talking about the shrink tubing that's used in electronics, y'know the black sleeves at the end of lipos when they come without the power connectors?

The shrink tubing (or sleeving) shrinks with some heat to wrap around whatever its over and is quite resistant to abrasion so it's a possible candidate.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 11:48 AM
Joined Nov 2010
916 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliGriff View Post
Nese, tighten up those blades!!! Firm, but movable when heli is shaken while sideways. It makes a big difference and helps to stop tip overs.

Jus tryin' to help
Thanks for the tip, but the blades are fairly firm. I suppose it appeared kinda floppy at the start of the vid with a little less than graceful appearance as I forgot to straighten out the blades after taking her out of the bag and plugging the power in... my new lights were keeping me distracted

Btw, looks like night flying is now an option
Old Jul 24, 2011, 01:06 PM
my mental eXcape!
Joined Jan 2011
4,318 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the tip, but the blades are fairly firm. I suppose it appeared kinda floppy at the start of the vid with a little less than graceful appearance as I forgot to straighten out the blades after taking her out of the bag and plugging the power in... my new lights were keeping me distracted

Btw, looks like night flying is now an option
Gotcha! LOL! I saw the blades were folded back in the video but i forgot about the power of "bling" being a distraction.

Why fly only during the day when you can fly all night!
Old Jul 24, 2011, 01:13 PM
Huntington Beach, CA
Joined Jan 2011
236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo47 View Post
I doubt it. I think you have compressed the dampening "o" rings on the feathering shaft as well as putting stress on the link rods tempting link rod to split.

Sorry I dont think you can sort out swash play that way. You could use heat shrink instead of tube. Just cut it a little oversize then shrink it onto the shaft before trimming to the correct length. I think the tube idea is the best so far. My opinion anyhow

Mick

I probably did not describe what I did with the links properly. I removed the slop in the links between the servo and swash (not the swash to blade links). No compression involved at all. Nonetheless, I found no perceptible improvement in flight. I guess I'll have to try the brass sleeve or wait for you to try transplanting your Rx from the 4F180 over to your V200. I think we are still waiting for a definitive test on this.

Paul M
paul2pilot is offline Find More Posts by paul2pilot