Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 20, 2010, 03:14 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,136 Posts
Today, I flew two more flights in winds >20 mph (typhoon Megi is coming our way!) It was obvsiously quite difficult but still controllable. It flew better with the rudder travel set at 100% and gyro sensitiviry for elevator and aileron at 75%.

The motor came off the main gear twice on tough landings. In a way, it might have protected the main gear from being stripped. I decided to stop flying when the unpredictable gusts of wind started to cause large death dives.

to conclude, I am quite happy with the performance of this model in windy conditions. But obviously, don't expect it to behave like a CP helicopter in the wind.

77kwc, I actually increased the sensitivity of the gyro with respect to the elevator and aileron. The heli was being thrown around by the wind. The nose would suddenly pull up, or the heli would dive suddenly. It seems to be better although I only flew a few rounds after this. I think I need to fly it on a day with dead calm conditions to check it out again. I fly in a very open area facing the sea and it is always quite windy.

By the way, the main gear on this model seems to be different to that on the CB180D. Does anybody know how to get the Jesus pin off the gear?
zadaw is offline Find More Posts by zadaw
Last edited by zadaw; Oct 20, 2010 at 03:28 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 20, 2010, 11:28 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2010
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post

By the way, the main gear on this model seems to be different to that on the CB180D. Does anybody know how to get the Jesus pin off the gear?
Not sure about the CB180D, but both the CB180Z and V200D01 share the same main gear (i.e. same part number). It is easy to get the pin off by using something sharp like a small precision screwdriver and press it out gently while grabbing the pin with a needle-nose plier on the other side. Hope it helps.
77kwc is offline Find More Posts by 77kwc
Old Oct 21, 2010, 01:40 AM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77kwc View Post
Not sure about the CB180D, but both the CB180Z and V200D01 share the same main gear (i.e. same part number). It is easy to get the pin off by using something sharp like a small precision screwdriver and press it out gently while grabbing the pin with a needle-nose plier on the other side. Hope it helps.
CB180D uses the same gear. The newer version just has a wider boss. they have just strengthened it a bit. Just push the pin out with a small screwdriver or scribe enough to grab with plyers. I just fitted a 180D main gear to a V200d02 anyhow no probs.

Mick
Bravo47 is offline Find More Posts by Bravo47
Old Oct 21, 2010, 01:58 PM
Switzerland, near Zuerich
Joined Mar 2004
171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo47 View Post
CB180D uses the same gear. The newer version just has a wider boss. they have just strengthened it a bit. Just push the pin out with a small screwdriver or scribe enough to grab with plyers. I just fitted a 180D main gear to a V200d02 anyhow no probs.

Mick
Thanks for confirmation and suggestions how to do, having the same repair issue just ordered by Terence several main gear and have to replace it now.

Meinolph
ELRush is offline Find More Posts by ELRush
Old Oct 21, 2010, 10:20 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2010
31 Posts
yes, it makes good sense to order a few main gears to shorten your grounded time! just as someone said, the main gear does strips faster and easier than a $10,000 stripper.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 12:51 AM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77kwc View Post
yes, it makes good sense to order a few main gears to shorten your grounded time! just as someone said, the main gear does strips faster and easier than a $10,000 stripper.
I add some silicon grease to my main and tail gears(front/rear) and dont seem to strip gears very often. Ive either been lucky or the lube allows slip rather than friction and strip.

Mick
Bravo47 is offline Find More Posts by Bravo47
Old Oct 22, 2010, 03:28 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2010
31 Posts
that's a good idea. maybe i could use some silicon grease too for future protection. thanks for the heads up.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 08:34 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,136 Posts
Thanks, I managed to change the main gear, using one for the CB180D. It seems that the main gear does get damaged very easily. I decided to fly it at a higher altitude in order to avoid minor crashes that would not have done any damage to my CB180D in the past.

I had another 6 flights today in moderate wind conditions. These were some of the best flights I have had with a model heli for a long time. I left the elevator and aileron sensitivity at 75% as it seemed to fly much better in the wind. However, I did found that a sudden bucking upwards was a big problem. This happened usually when flying upwind after coming out of a turn. The heli would come to a sudden stop and the nose buck upwards by 30% or more. I am not sure whether this is due to the 3-axis gyro or is an intrinsic flight characteristic of this helicopter. This sudden bucking upwards can be avoided by keeping some down elevator when heading upwind. Likewise, the heli may dive when heading downwind after coming out of a turn. This can be ameliorated by putting in more up elevator and increasing the throttle. Another problem I encountered was that the throttle response was quite slow and that was a problem when I wanted to pull out of a sticky situation.

But again, I was flying in 10-15 mph winds today and I tought it handled it quite well considering it is a FP helicopter. As a comparison, I flew my Align Trex 450 Sport today. Although, it was more precise and handled the wind a bit better. The difference was really not that great. Given, 450 was much more intimidating, I certainly enjoyed flying the V200D01 better. So it looks like a pretty solid offering from Walkera, especially for a first generation product.
zadaw is offline Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Oct 25, 2010, 10:22 PM
USA, IL, Elgin
Joined Jan 2006
664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post
Thanks, I managed to change the main gear, using one for the CB180D. It seems that the main gear does get damaged very easily. I decided to fly it at a higher altitude in order to avoid minor crashes that would not have done any damage to my CB180D in the past.

I had another 6 flights today in moderate wind conditions. These were some of the best flights I have had with a model heli for a long time. I left the elevator and aileron sensitivity at 75% as it seemed to fly much better in the wind. However, I did found that a sudden bucking upwards was a big problem. This happened usually when flying upwind after coming out of a turn. The heli would come to a sudden stop and the nose buck upwards by 30% or more. I am not sure whether this is due to the 3-axis gyro or is an intrinsic flight characteristic of this helicopter. This sudden bucking upwards can be avoided by keeping some down elevator when heading upwind. Likewise, the heli may dive when heading downwind after coming out of a turn. This can be ameliorated by putting in more up elevator and increasing the throttle. Another problem I encountered was that the throttle response was quite slow and that was a problem when I wanted to pull out of a sticky situation.

But again, I was flying in 10-15 mph winds today and I tought it handled it quite well considering it is a FP helicopter. As a comparison, I flew my Align Trex 450 Sport today. Although, it was more precise and handled the wind a bit better. The difference was really not that great. Given, 450 was much more intimidating, I certainly enjoyed flying the V200D01 better. So it looks like a pretty solid offering from Walkera, especially for a first generation product.

I agree. I think the V200D01 is the best FP bang for the buck hands down.
stretch1100 is offline Find More Posts by stretch1100
Old Oct 26, 2010, 04:05 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2010
31 Posts
Thanks for such a comprehensive and informative review/feedback about the V200. I particularly like to know how this heli flies under different flying conditions. As you know, I would be very interested to get my hands on an Align 450 Sport someday to compare the differences myself and hopefully, the wait isn't too long! Everyone, keep the reviews/feedback coming!
Old Oct 26, 2010, 08:08 AM
USA, NJ, Lakewood
Joined Oct 2010
9 Posts
Upgrade Info Please

Hello new friends! I am about to purchase a Walkera V200D01. I had a couple of questions I could not find the answers for on my own, so I turn to the pros. First off, battery upgrade suggestions. Second is tail and main rotor upgrades. I was thinking of Airy Harden blades but they don't seem to make ones for the tail. Speaking of that, does anyone know what size I should be looking at for both? I see the specs but I think its for the overall diameter not single blade length for main and tail. Any other suggestions regarding upgrades or "your gonna need this dude" items would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!
Hitechterror is offline Find More Posts by Hitechterror
Old Oct 26, 2010, 09:48 AM
Birmingham AL
Joined Jul 2010
627 Posts
WANTED: WALKERA 2402 OR 2602 TRANSMITTER PLEASE!!!
Hello Fellow Pilots,
I screwed up this weekend and bought the Walkera UFLYS without the Transmitter from hobbyking because the transmitter is listed in the specs, it states it has a 2402 TX so I thought it did. 2 days later I saw the one that DID have the TX and realized my mistake, but alas they just sent it out. There is only a $24 difference in the one with and one without so I thought they could just send me a 2402 for the difference + shipping but they have not replied. Now to get to the point, Does anyone have a walkera/exeed/blitzrcworks 2402 or 2602 Transmitter they would sell me for a decent price? (the exceed and blitz have rebranded ones) I would really appriciate it, heck even a 2401 would work I guess as long as it's 2.4ghz.
eMAIL ME AT MMALKOVE@STEWARTPERRY.COM IF YOU CAN HELP ME
RChelisrule is offline Find More Posts by RChelisrule
Old Oct 26, 2010, 10:38 AM
USA, IL, Elgin
Joined Jan 2006
664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitechterror View Post
Hello new friends! I am about to purchase a Walkera V200D01. I had a couple of questions I could not find the answers for on my own, so I turn to the pros. First off, battery upgrade suggestions. Second is tail and main rotor upgrades. I was thinking of Airy Harden blades but they don't seem to make ones for the tail. Speaking of that, does anyone know what size I should be looking at for both? I see the specs but I think its for the overall diameter not single blade length for main and tail. Any other suggestions regarding upgrades or "your gonna need this dude" items would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!
I modded mine to accept these Turnigy nano-tech 1300mah 2S 25~50C Lipo Pack

Just took off the skids and then cut the little square piece of plastic off so that you can slide the battery in from the rear as it won't make the it around the bend in the middle due to it's length. I also took the battery door off by just pushing out the pin. You don't really need upgraded blades for this. The stock ones are just fine. I've yet to break one in two hard crashes. Stock up on main gears is about all i can tell you.
stretch1100 is offline Find More Posts by stretch1100
Old Oct 26, 2010, 12:15 PM
United States, ID, Lewiston
Joined Oct 2010
5 Posts
Head Mod

I was noticing in the first vid that the flybarless head appears to be very similar to my 180Z head. Even the linkage is the same. Can I remove the weighted flybar and attach my linkage where my bellcrank mount is(on the head)?
FDflier is offline Find More Posts by FDflier
Old Oct 26, 2010, 12:38 PM
Switzerland, near Zuerich
Joined Mar 2004
171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitechterror View Post
Welcome to the V200D01 forum Hitechterror,
I highly recommend this heli need no blade upgrade, she has enough power for most users, just buy enough main gear parts including the small white little ones if you crash mostly I killed them.
For battery upgrade I did it with Hyperion G3 2S VX 1800maH, this gives me 2 x 7 minutes indoor flights ( with small relax for my brain) in between remaining still around 15% capacity to held the battery well over long time with many many flights - not to forget the capability to be charged with 5C. The housing mod I did it the same way as stretch1100 did.
Regards
Meinolph
ELRush is offline Find More Posts by ELRush