HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 20, 2012, 06:22 PM
my mental eXcape!
USA, Ohio, Catawba Island
Joined Jan 2011
4,402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrnln Jnke View Post
I was able to find some double sided tape, but heli was still all over the place. The Battery frame is still broken pretty good so I think ill just wait till the new frame comes in and ill try it again. It takes about 10-12 days to get stuff here in the mail. so one good crash can lead to a loooong down time.
It's hard to do but, have patience! It's not worth flying it when it is in that condition. It certainly isn't worth crashing it again and breaking more parts. Wait until your parts get there. You'll be glad that you did!
HeliGriff is online now Find More Posts by HeliGriff
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:44 PM
Joined Nov 2012
73 Posts
Alright!! So I got all my parts in today and built it all back up. Flew my first complete pack without a crash (it was only back and forth flight and a little side to side) but none the less it was a full pack without a crash. My problem now is that the swashplate IS level but it still had a tendency to drift to the left. And also it has a tendency to wobble left to right sometimes. How would I correct this, would I add or remove adjustment to the gyro? And which pot would I add it to. I am a professional helicopter mechanic and we do not call movements as if they would be on a fixed wing aircraft. We have Pitch (Longitudinal), Roll (Latitude), Yaw (Directional) and of course Collective. So I get a little confused which direction is what sometimes.

I have also done the swashplate sleeve and battery mod and that doesnt really seem to help with the pitching up in FFF.

Any suggestions to help fine tune this little bird would be great Thanks!!!
Adrnln Jnke is offline Find More Posts by Adrnln Jnke
Old Nov 26, 2012, 01:06 PM
my mental eXcape!
Joined Jan 2011
4,402 Posts
Quote:
Alright!! So I got all my parts in today and built it all back up. Flew my first complete pack without a crash (it was only back and forth flight and a little side to side) but none the less it was a full pack without a crash. My problem now is that the swashplate IS level but it still had a tendency to drift to the left. And also it has a tendency to wobble left to right sometimes. How would I correct this, would I add or remove adjustment to the gyro? And which pot would I add it to. I am a professional helicopter mechanic and we do not call movements as if they would be on a fixed wing aircraft. We have Pitch (Longitudinal), Roll (Latitude), Yaw (Directional) and of course Collective. So I get a little confused which direction is what sometimes.

I have also done the swashplate sleeve and battery mod and that doesnt really seem to help with the pitching up in FFF.

1. All RC heli's that have a clockwise rotation of the blades will drift to the left. Use Ail trim to correct it.

2. Adjust the Aile pot (dial) on the gyro to correct the wobble. Normally, you reduce the gain (minus on the dial) to stop the wobble. If it gets worse, increase the dial until the wobble stops. Use SMALL increments of about 10% turns of the dial.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 04:21 PM
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Jan 2011
1,073 Posts
Quote:
See this Post.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2599
dsobbe is online now Find More Posts by dsobbe
Old Nov 26, 2012, 05:21 PM
Joined Nov 2011
776 Posts
Quote:

The issue here is actually that your swash is level. The FBL system isn't smart enough to compensate for the tail rotor so you need to do it mechanically. Usually one or two twists of a servo-swash link in the roll axis will get it hovering level (flying level, the heli will hang cockeyed in the air it's normal).

Another poster mentioned using your aileron (roll) trim to compensate. It'll work too but walkera FBL controllers arn't always known for playing well with trim. Plus it's easier to have a heli that's mechanically neutral rather than having to remember your trims.
TucsonFlyer is offline Find More Posts by TucsonFlyer
Old Nov 26, 2012, 05:45 PM
my mental eXcape!
Joined Jan 2011
4,402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonFlyer View Post
Another poster mentioned using your aileron (roll) trim to compensate. It'll work too but walkera FBL controllers arn't always known for playing well with trim. Plus it's easier to have a heli that's mechanically neutral rather than having to remember your trims.
I'm the 'other' poster. I don't like to use trim and I would have done exactly what you have suggested on my own bird. I try to keep things simple for folks who may be new to the inner-workings of a Walkera FBL gyro.

I also agree that when the swash is level, the heli drifts. When the swash is cocked a little on the roll axis, it doesn't drift, as you have mentioned. Some people really get confused about that too. I also agree that when she's finally dialed-in, the heli will hover cockeyed. However, they all do! My T-Rex 600 does the same thing! The difference is that the swash is 100% level on the T-Rex. You don't want to compensate by mis-leveling the swash like you do on the V200D01.

Good response, TucsonFlyer!
Old Nov 26, 2012, 07:01 PM
Moving Parts
United States, MS, Columbus
Joined May 2011
1,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliGriff View Post
I'm the 'other' poster. I don't like to use trim and I would have done exactly what you have suggested on my own bird. I try to keep things simple for folks who may be new to the inner-workings of a Walkera FBL gyro.

I also agree that when the swash is level, the heli drifts. When the swash is cocked a little on the roll axis, it doesn't drift, as you have mentioned. Some people really get confused about that too. I also agree that when she's finally dialed-in, the heli will hover cockeyed. However, they all do! My T-Rex 600 does the same thing! The difference is that the swash is 100% level on the T-Rex. You don't want to compensate by mis-leveling the swash like you do on the V200D01.

Good response, TucsonFlyer!
I agree, they all tilt one way or the other depending on which way the main blades rotate. I have found that there seems to be less tilt as the number of blades is increased. Five blades flys ALMOST level.

If you want level flight, get a Blade mQX quad.
ChopperJack is offline Find More Posts by ChopperJack
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:21 AM
Joined Nov 2012
73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonFlyer View Post
The issue here is actually that your swash is level. The FBL system isn't smart enough to compensate for the tail rotor so you need to do it mechanically. Usually one or two twists of a servo-swash link in the roll axis will get it hovering level (flying level, the heli will hang cockeyed in the air it's normal).

Sounds Awesome guys, thanks for the heads up about the cockeyed swashplate. Doesnt make sence at first but it does now though. Everything I read says that you want level SP. Makes more sense to rig the SP just a little to the right to compensate for the left drift.

I get a nice photo sometime for you guys of my little heli next to my real heli. Think yall will like it.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 03:29 AM
Moving Parts
Joined May 2011
1,428 Posts
Quote:
Sounds Awesome guys, thanks for the heads up about the cockeyed swashplate. Doesn't make sense at first but it does now though. Everything I read says that you want level SP. Makes more sense to rig the SP just a little to the right to compensate for the left drift.

I get a nice photo sometime for you guys of my little heli next to my real heli. Think yall will like it.
My V200 had an interesting problem with trims. I never could really nail it down to a root cause but suspect the slightest battery weight difference and/or position in the tray would alter trim adjustment. One time I would have to adjust rear and left, next time just the opposite. Almost never same trim adjustment twice in a row. If I got real lucky, it would fly without drifting twice in a row. Sometimes this was caused by the wind which I would ignore. Most of the time, this would happen in dead air. It will be interesting to see how the new one will fly.

I agree that mechanical adjustment is best. However, trim and sub trim might be you're only choice. Ideally, you would use trim to get an idea of where to adjust mechanical linkage if you don't have a crazy problem like the one above where nothing ever stays the same. Once you get the linkages as close as possible, then use sub trim to adjust that out. Set trim to zero and adjust sub trim. Then you can pretty much forget it - until you crash and pop a servo.

You may also notice the "granularity" of sub trim is a bit less coarse than trim. A sub trim of +5 might equal a trim adjustment of +2 or something like that.

Thunder storms here driving me nuts! It appears from radar they are mostly going south of us but still noisy. I have my car cover off for the first time in for ever and it chooses this morning to pose a hail damage threat - wonderful!
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:28 PM
Joined Nov 2012
73 Posts
alright, still having slight wobbles, but trying to work out the kinks. I still have the issue of the extreme nose up when coming out of FFF. Like so bad its almost vertical. I have done the battery mod and the Sleeve mod. So I really dont know what else to do about this issue.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:40 AM
Huntington Beach, CA
Joined Jan 2011
236 Posts
The dsobbe blade mod did wonders for me to fix the pitch up problem. I felt like it breathed the life back into the heli again.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1275
paul2pilot is offline Find More Posts by paul2pilot
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:01 PM
Joined Nov 2012
73 Posts
Alright, heres another question for ya guys. My Stabilator keeps moving backwards and the tailboom struts keep falling down. So each time they fall I have to catch the heli from a hover and power down to reinstall and push the stab back fwd. What is causing this and what would be a good solution to prevent it from continuing.

Sorry for all the stupid questions but I am very new at this hobby.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 02:36 PM
Moving Parts
Joined May 2011
1,428 Posts
Quote:
Alright, heres another question for ya guys. My Stabilator keeps moving backwards and the tailboom struts keep falling down. So each time they fall I have to catch the heli from a hover and power down to reinstall and push the stab back fwd. What is causing this and what would be a good solution to prevent it from continuing.

Sorry for all the stupid questions but I am very new at this hobby.
Sounds like you broke something to me.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 30, 2012, 04:07 PM
Joined Nov 2012
73 Posts
I dont think that I did, Its been doing that sense I got it.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:32 PM
Joined Oct 2010
1,284 Posts
have you guys tried the MasterCP blades? seems like the wider blade would give you better lift and the shape of it may help with the flying tendencies. A lot of the problems you guys are having are not found on the MasterCP of course it could be the rcvr but the blades are worth a try and they are inexpensive and very durable.
pmerritt is offline Find More Posts by pmerritt