HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 11, 2012, 09:59 PM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,781 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhebbel View Post
Been a while since ive had this bird in the air, ive been concentrating on my v450d01 and my TREX-600, but i just had an itch to play with it today lol. Did the ball point sping on the main shaft mod and what a difference it made!!! now i cant wait to tweak it more! ordering a UFlys head conversion, a larger batt, and the turbo ace motor!!!! cant wait to supercharge this beast and get it up for some fpv flights lol.
I have another motor for my V200D01 that I bought ages back too... I should install it and see what difference it makes... long weekend this weekend so if I get a chance...
thwaitm is offline Find More Posts by thwaitm
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2012, 06:03 AM
Owner1
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Mar 2011
344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhebbel View Post
... Did the ball point sping on the main shaft mod and what a difference it made!!! now i cant wait to tweak it more! ..
I thought I'd read everything on this helicopter, but somehow I missed this. Could someone please describe this in detail for me? Both the effect of the mod and the How-to would be great.

Thanks,

Owner1
Owner1 is offline Find More Posts by Owner1
Old Sep 12, 2012, 08:59 AM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,781 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owner1 View Post
I thought I'd read everything on this helicopter, but somehow I missed this. Could someone please describe this in detail for me? Both the effect of the mod and the How-to would be great.

Thanks,

Owner1
Here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...d#post18811823

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...08&postcount=1
thwaitm is offline Find More Posts by thwaitm
Old Sep 14, 2012, 12:24 AM
Owner1
Joined Mar 2011
344 Posts
Ok, thanks. So it appears the spring mod was an earlier version of dsobbe's sleeve mod which I was aware of.

Although I was aware of the sleeve mod I'd never the implemented it until today, and the initial results look very promising. I flew it in my yard and down my street and the heli appeared more stable than it has ever been, and it had zero pitch-up problems. I won't know for sure till I can fly in some wind and at one of my flying fields, but I'm excited by the prospects. I'll fly again Saturday and report back. And since I crashed my other heli badly (brushless V400D02) this is the only heli I'll be flying this weekend.

Owner1
Old Sep 15, 2012, 05:26 PM
Owner1
Joined Mar 2011
344 Posts
Okay, back from my flying field. I flew 7 batteries and wow, just wow! Pitch-up is much reduced in frequency to almost nothing, with pretty much the only remaining pitch-up occurring at the end of top speed runs. Far more important to me though is the elimination of wobbles induced by flying in the wind. My heli has always been touchy about flying in wind, in that the FBL system would continually react to the wind and make the helicopter wobble side to side, or back and forth like a rocking horse. That behavior is completely gone now, and it makes the heli so much more fun to fly. I did pass after pass buzzing 1 foot above the ground at top speed. This was with a light, variable breeze blowing, yet the heli was completely predictable and consistent. It would have been impossible to do this before as the flight path was too influenced by the wobbling. This really makes my day.

Fwiw, I used 3/16 aluminum tubing from my hobby shop and the sleeve lengths on my heli turned out to be .247" long on the upper sleeve, and .286" on the lower sleeve. Although it visually looks like the lower sleeve is shorter, it's really longer but part of its length is hidden from view as it extends up into the swashplate bearing holder.

Conclusion: This mod is well worth doing. Took me about an hour and it make the heli fly much better overall.

Owner1
Old Sep 16, 2012, 08:59 PM
Joined May 2010
213 Posts
Quote:
Okay, back from my flying field. I flew 7 batteries and wow, just wow! Pitch-up is much reduced in frequency to almost nothing, with pretty much the only remaining pitch-up occurring at the end of top speed runs. Far more important to me though is the elimination of wobbles induced by flying in the wind. My heli has always been touchy about flying in wind, in that the FBL system would continually react to the wind and make the helicopter wobble side to side, or back and forth like a rocking horse. That behavior is completely gone now, and it makes the heli so much more fun to fly. I did pass after pass buzzing 1 foot above the ground at top speed. This was with a light, variable breeze blowing, yet the heli was completely predictable and consistent. It would have been impossible to do this before as the flight path was too influenced by the wobbling. This really makes my day.

Fwiw, I used 3/16 aluminum tubing from my hobby shop and the sleeve lengths on my heli turned out to be .247" long on the upper sleeve, and .286" on the lower sleeve. Although it visually looks like the lower sleeve is shorter, it's really longer but part of its length is hidden from view as it extends up into the swashplate bearing holder.

Conclusion: This mod is well worth doing. Took me about an hour and it make the heli fly much better overall.

Owner1
Good to know - I'll b e doing this mod ASAP! Have I said I love my V200D01 lately?
Still having trouble with left hand turns though - lol!
Scott in NH is offline Find More Posts by Scott in NH
Old Sep 20, 2012, 12:22 AM
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Jan 2011
1,027 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott in NH View Post
Good to know - I'll b e doing this mod ASAP! Have I said I love my V200D01 lately?
Still having trouble with left hand turns though - lol!
Do the blade mod, too.
Two things you can't change, though. The V200 has a tendency to roll slower to the left than to the right. Also, that slight shaking in the wind is built in to the Rx. Get used to it. But, for a low end FBL heli, it ain't bad!
dsobbe is offline Find More Posts by dsobbe
Last edited by dsobbe; Sep 20, 2012 at 07:55 AM.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 12:40 PM
"Watch this!.... Oh crap"
United States, FL, Seminole
Joined Jan 2012
1,156 Posts
Got my upgraded turbo ace motor and 25c battery today, woohoo! even with my wireless video transmitter and camera onboard this thing RIPS!!! huge performance boost!
jhebbel is offline Find More Posts by jhebbel
Old Oct 11, 2012, 06:41 AM
Owner1
Joined Mar 2011
344 Posts
V200D01 faster than ever with Dsobbe mod.

Got some good video of my V200D01 with the Dsobbe sleeve mod. This mod stops uncommanded movement of the swashplate, reducing pitch up and greatly improving stability and consistency.With the mod I'm able to apply full throttle indefinitely without inducing pitch up as the stock heli is prone to do. In the video I fly faster than I ever have, and closer to the ground. The heli is so much more stable now that I've yet to crash it since doing the mod, and I have more than 2 hours of hard and fast flight time with the mod. Note that the heli no longer bobs back and forth and side to side as it did in my previous videos.

In the video I start off just doing a wide lazy funnel, then speed up quickly, with my fastest passes coming in the last minute or so of the vid.

Thanks to Dsobbe for coming up with this mod. A must for this heli IMO.

V200D01 with dsobbe mod flying faster than ever before (3 min 27 sec)

Owner1
Old Oct 11, 2012, 07:31 AM
my mental eXcape!
USA, Ohio, Catawba Island
Joined Jan 2011
4,331 Posts
Quote:
Got some good video of my V200D01 with the Dsobbe sleeve mod. This mod stops uncommanded movement of the swashplate, reducing pitch up and greatly improving stability and consistency.With the mod I'm able to apply full throttle indefinitely without inducing pitch up as the stock heli is prone to do. In the video I fly faster than I ever have, and closer to the ground. The heli is so much more stable now that I've yet to crash it since doing the mod, and I have more than 2 hours of hard and fast flight time with the mod. Note that the heli no longer bobs back and forth and side to side as it did in my previous videos.

In the video I start off just doing a wide lazy funnel, then speed up quickly, with my fastest passes coming in the last minute or so of the vid.

Thanks to Dsobbe for coming up with this mod. A must for this heli IMO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8Sd8...ature=youtu.be

Owner1
I haven't posted on this blog for almost a year but, this post caught my eye. I just wanted to say "Nice Flying, Owner1!" You have that V200 purring! DSobbe's sleeve and battery mod worked very well on my V200's as well.
HeliGriff is offline Find More Posts by HeliGriff
Last edited by HeliGriff; Oct 11, 2012 at 08:04 AM.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 01:28 PM
Owner1
Joined Mar 2011
344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliGriff View Post
I haven't posted on this blog for almost a year but, this post caught my eye. I just wanted to say "Nice Flying, Owner1!" You have that V200 purring! DSobbe's sleeve and battery mod worked very well on my V200's as well.
I forgot about the battery mod. I did that on the first day I got my heli so I don't really know how it flew without it.

Owner1
Old Oct 12, 2012, 07:09 PM
Huntington Beach, CA
Joined Jan 2011
236 Posts
Dont' forget the blade mod:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1275

That had a huge positive impact on how my V200D01 flies.
paul2pilot is offline Find More Posts by paul2pilot
Old Oct 13, 2012, 02:58 PM
Owner1
Joined Mar 2011
344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul2pilot View Post
Dont' forget the blade mod:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1275

That had a huge positive impact on how my V200D01 flies.
I tried the blade mod but wasn't happy with the loss of lift. Maybe I'll try it again but reduce the blade width less. P2P, what did the blade mod improve for you? Was it just about reducing pitch up?

Owner1
Old Oct 13, 2012, 03:19 PM
Huntington Beach, CA
Joined Jan 2011
236 Posts
The blade mod reduced the pitch up tendency to a much greater degree than the sleeves. My V200D01 seemed to get worse over time and I was actually not having much fun with it anymore due to the instability in just the slightest wind. I"m not sure if a crash changed the tolerances of something, but everything seems nice and tight and I just could not figure out why. I was just about to order another Rx thinking that maybe the gyro sensitivity was diminished somehow.

Then, as a sort of last ditch effort, I tried the blade shave mod (I took off 3/8"), and it was suddenly more stable in forward flilght than it had ever been and it makes much more realistic bank turns as well. For me, I did not see a lot of loss of lift; rather just a higher RPM in all flight modes. I have also noticed (comparing to my son's stock V200D01) that some helis just don't put out as much power. Mine has lots of excess power even with the stock motor (and the higher 25C 1200mah battery). My son's heli can barely fly with the stock 15C battery and I can imagine that it might have a hard time with the shaved blades regarding loss of lift at max power. I figure it's just random differences in ESCs. I suspect that if you replace the stock motor with the Turbo Ace replacement (from Wow Hobbies), you will have plenty of excess power and you will start to enjoy the added stability of the shaved blades.
paul2pilot is offline Find More Posts by paul2pilot
Old Oct 14, 2012, 02:08 PM
Owner1
Joined Mar 2011
344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul2pilot View Post
The blade mod reduced the pitch up tendency to a much greater degree than the sleeves. My V200D01 seemed to get worse over time and I was actually not having much fun with it anymore due to the instability in just the slightest wind. I"m not sure if a crash changed the tolerances of something, but everything seems nice and tight and I just could not figure out why. I was just about to order another Rx thinking that maybe the gyro sensitivity was diminished somehow.

Then, as a sort of last ditch effort, I tried the blade shave mod (I took off 3/8"), and it was suddenly more stable in forward flilght than it had ever been and it makes much more realistic bank turns as well. For me, I did not see a lot of loss of lift; rather just a higher RPM in all flight modes. I have also noticed (comparing to my son's stock V200D01) that some helis just don't put out as much power. Mine has lots of excess power even with the stock motor (and the higher 25C 1200mah battery). My son's heli can barely fly with the stock 15C battery and I can imagine that it might have a hard time with the shaved blades regarding loss of lift at max power. I figure it's just random differences in ESCs. I suspect that if you replace the stock motor with the Turbo Ace replacement (from Wow Hobbies), you will have plenty of excess power and you will start to enjoy the added stability of the shaved blades.
Okay, good enough for me, I think I'll cut another set of blades and try it again today.

As far as the heli losing stability over time, I have found on mine that the feathering shaft o-rings wear down and that I need to replace them periodically to keep the heli flying stable. Also, the swashplate to servo linkages wear from being taken on and off their balls, and new ones improve stability as well.

Owner1
Last edited by Owner1; Oct 15, 2012 at 12:46 PM.