HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 18, 2012, 07:46 AM
Joined May 2010
213 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owner1 View Post
Scott, with your DR at 70, your servo extents turned down, and your expo at 30%, I wonder if you have enough elevator authority to stop the heli from accelerating as you make your turns. I have 0 expo and DR off, and my servo extents all the way up, and I still have to pull the elevator back hard while turning, if I don't want to accelerate through the turn. In fact, I use far, far more elevator stick movement in turns than I do any other time. Next time, try really pulling back on the elevator while turning.

Btw, I modded my V200d01 to have the battery stick much further forward, so my COG is significantly forward. I guess we should take that into account too, but it sounds like the same effect as adding weight to the nose, as yours has.

Owner1
While doing FF in the backyard I would go fast (for the space) in a straight line and would then bring it to a quick stop and it would so I think I have enough authority, but (by the way you describe it) I am probably not using enough elevator while turning.

You can't necessarily tell how much is enough until you've tried to much - what will happen if I use to much elevator? Which way is she going to shoot?
Scott in NH is offline Find More Posts by Scott in NH
to remove ads between posts
Old May 18, 2012, 01:12 PM
Owner1
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Mar 2011
345 Posts
If you pull too much elevator in a turn, what theoretically happens is that you stall, and since your heli is banking it will slide towards the ground. In practice with the V200, I have never gotten it to stall in a turn. My first few crashes with banked turns were all because I didn't pull back hard enough on the elevator. My other helis will stall under this condition, so I was afraid to use too much elevator. Pretty much all my V200 flying is done with the sticks very close to the center position, EXCEPT when I'm banking turns. That's the only time I have significant movement of my cyclic.

Owner1
Owner1 is offline Find More Posts by Owner1
Old May 18, 2012, 03:29 PM
Joined May 2010
213 Posts
Quote:
If you pull too much elevator in a turn, what theoretically happens is that you stall, and since your heli is banking it will slide towards the ground. In practice with the V200, I have never gotten it to stall in a turn. My first few crashes with banked turns were all because I didn't pull back hard enough on the elevator. My other helis will stall under this condition, so I was afraid to use too much elevator. Pretty much all my V200 flying is done with the sticks very close to the center position, EXCEPT when I'm banking turns. That's the only time I have significant movement of my cyclic.

Owner1
Ok, so roll into the turn with some ail, back ele and rudder - what input is maintained through the turn?
Old May 18, 2012, 10:13 PM
Owner1
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Mar 2011
345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott in NH View Post
Ok, so roll into the turn with some ail, back ele and rudder - what input is maintained through the turn?
All the inputs are held through the turn, and you should start releasing them as you're coming out of the turn, although I do tend to hold the elevator back longer than the other two.

Owner1
Owner1 is offline Find More Posts by Owner1
Old May 20, 2012, 07:25 AM
Joined May 2010
213 Posts
Quote:
All the inputs are held through the turn, and you should start releasing them as you're coming out of the turn, although I do tend to hold the elevator back longer than the other two.

Owner1
Ok thanks, other than ele that is what I was doing...
Old May 20, 2012, 09:07 AM
Joined May 2010
213 Posts
So I went to my nearby field to run a few batteries and now I am so nervous flying it....
I did ok and did a couple of nice controlled turns per the advice above, but then the breeze grabbed it and that is when I discovered how rusty I am (both my little 9958's are down because of tired tail motors).
Only one hard put down on the nose (couple more harmless dumps into tall grass) where I re-cracked the cracked sacrificial canopy, but it caused the motor to move away from the gear and I didn't have any tools with me so that was that.

All fixed and ready to go again, but I don't know what to do - I'm not really enjoying this....
Old May 20, 2012, 09:15 AM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,960 Posts
Quote:
All fixed and ready to go again, but I don't know what to do - I'm not really enjoying this....
SIM -

My route was V100D01 -> Lama2-1 -> SIM -> V200D01 -> V450D01 -> V120D02 -> V200D03.

Only after the SIM could I fly the V200D01 reasonably and only after the V120D02 could I fly the V200D03 or V450D01.
thwaitm is online now Find More Posts by thwaitm
Old May 20, 2012, 09:19 AM
Heli Crash Survivor
United States, AR, North Little Rock
Joined Feb 2011
1,093 Posts
Make sure you have the blade mod on the main rotors. Don't remember if the grass stained blades were cut down or not. That really makes a big difference in wind, keeping the heli from not bobbing back & forth.
Crash Survivor is offline Find More Posts by Crash Survivor
Old May 20, 2012, 09:48 AM
Joined May 2010
213 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash Survivor View Post
Make sure you have the blade mod on the main rotors. Don't remember if the grass stained blades were cut down or not. That really makes a big difference in wind, keeping the heli from not bobbing back & forth.
I just compared them, they do not have the mod.

I'll do the mod and see where it gets me, it was bobbing quite a bit in hover, but that alone is the least of my worries.

I've lost my confidence and am already tiring of replacing the main gear (I'm on my 3rd)....
Old May 20, 2012, 11:59 AM
Huntington Beach, CA
Joined Jan 2011
236 Posts
Scott,
You know you can replace the main gear without taking anything apart. You just need long needle nose pliers to reach in and pull the pin out, then pull up the main shaft just enough to come out of the main gear, slide the old hear out from the side, slide new gear in and align with main shaft, slip main shaft back into gear, replace pin. Thanks to Heligrif for reporting this simple method.

With some practice it is fast and easy. Just remember, if you shut down power before you touch the grass, you have a very good chance of not harming the main gear regardless of severity of the impact (other parts might break of course).

Try not to be nervous and just know that light controlled crashes in thick grass won't hurt it much. The best thing is just start your turning circuits nice and slow at first. You will find yourself starting to add more and more pitch and bank the faster you go. You barely need any bank when the heli is moving slow, so if you are putting in too much bank, the heli will go down fast like a ball rolling off a table. You can almost get away with no bank if it's slow (just a light touch of right or left aileron is all it needs to keep it from sliding off the table to the outside). The key to learning this bird is keep it nice and slow and over many hours just keep bringing the forward speed up a bit more. You will find that your control inputs will get progressively sharper to compensate for the additional pitch and bank needed. After several weeks your fast turns will include 45 to 60 degree bank angles.

By the way, I am another big fan of the blade shave mod. I found the heli flew bank turns much better and more like a CP heli with that mod. I will never go back to stock blades. I flew another V200D01 that did not have the blade mod and it flew much better than mine did stock, so I think all these heli's have their own little personalities.
paul2pilot is offline Find More Posts by paul2pilot
Last edited by paul2pilot; May 20, 2012 at 12:12 PM.
Old May 20, 2012, 07:25 PM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,960 Posts
I tried the blade mod, maybe I took too much off but my V200 didn't like it so much. Maybe I'm just used to it the way it is but it's worth a try anyway.
The other thing is just keep practicing and buy a 10 pack of main gears!
I think p2p's advice of slow'n'steady is totally right. Don't try to go further than you're comfortable with since most likely you'll end up stretching yourself during slow flying enough to gain confidence to go faster anyway.
thwaitm is online now Find More Posts by thwaitm
Old May 20, 2012, 07:48 PM
Joined May 2010
213 Posts
Thanks guys - just frustrated. Took my go to toy 21.5" co-ax out at dusk (like I do most nights) and had a nice relaxing flight.

Paul I can change the main gear pretty quick as described, the tail gear takes longer. I'm getting better at cutting the throttle in time, but sometimes it happens.

The upper frame had some previous damage and I somehow managed to drop it on the tail hard enough last week (downside to cuting throttle) to break a small piece of the corner off of it.

The part was cheap but it took time to replace.

So I probably have about 10 minutes of flight for each hour I've worked on it - hence the fear and frustration...

I currently have 5 more gears in stock so we'll see how it goes!
Old May 22, 2012, 02:35 PM
Heli Crash Survivor
Joined Feb 2011
1,093 Posts
Just placed my other V200D01 in the RC Groups classifieds. Scott would make a good backup for more up time. I always buy 2 of each Heli for more up flying time. As you can see in the pics I even sometimes buy 3 each.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1657341
Old May 22, 2012, 03:53 PM
Joined May 2010
213 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash Survivor View Post
Just placed my other V200D01 in the RC Groups classifieds. Scott would make a good backup for more up time. I always buy 2 of each Heli for more up flying time. As you can see in the pics I even sometimes buy 3 each.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1657341
No thanks LOL.

Until I get this under control (or give up and buy a quad) 2 x up time also equals 2 x repair time and 2 x parts orders!

Other than the time it took to replace the frame, it really hasn't been that bad. I only stripped the one tail gear -semi pain to to replace and two main gears - easy to replace.
It is more the lost confidence and lack of fun that has me reconsidering what I should be flying...

I need to get my 9958's back in the air so I'm not as rusty come flight time (parts are on order) and I'll keep trying until I burn through the 5 main gears I have.

At that point if I'm still not having fun it will be for sale.
Old May 22, 2012, 04:10 PM
Heli Crash Survivor
Joined Feb 2011
1,093 Posts
Quote:
No thanks LOL.

Until I get this under control (or give up and buy a quad) 2 x up time also equals 2 x repair time and 2 x parts orders!

Other than the time it took to replace the frame, it really hasn't been that bad. I only stripped the one tail gear -semi pain to to replace and two main gears - easy to replace.
It is more the lost confidence and lack of fun that has me reconsidering what I should be flying...

I need to get my 9958's back in the air so I'm not as rusty come flight time (parts are on order) and I'll keep trying until I burn through the 5 main gears I have.

At that point if I'm still not having fun it will be for sale.
Good luck, I hope you get it under control and get to enjoy flying a FBL heli. They keep me on my toes until I got the hang of it. I kept mine close & slow at first.