HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jan 18, 2012, 03:05 PM
Owner1
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Mar 2011
345 Posts
Thwaitm, that was an epic fight with the wind! Great flying! I'm not yet brave enough to challenge that level of wind. It's great to see that it can be done though.

Do you have any mods done to your V200D01 to make it able to handle that wind or is it completely stock?

To the OP, I suggest you wait until you are no longer "crashy" before you start with a Walkera heli. Some heli's are tolerant of some banging about and some are not. I would consider the V200D01 "not" as tolerant as some of the really low mass helis. However, the gear stripping is really not a factor as it is less than 10 minutes to change it and about $3.00. Also it serves to save the rest of the drive train. If I could change the stock gear out for a stronger aftermarket replacement, I wouldn't do it.

In 2 months of flying mine I've gone through 2 main gears and 2 sets of blades.

Owner1
Owner1 is offline Find More Posts by Owner1
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2012, 05:57 PM
"Watch this!.... Oh crap"
jhebbel's Avatar
United States, FL, Seminole
Joined Jan 2012
1,156 Posts
Not such a dead thread after all lol, well i just ordered both a DH 9116 and a v200d1, im going to get a lil more practice on the DH9116 before i take the v200d1 out of the box, i had a 9100 and 9116 is almost identical other than bein a 4ch, the lil dh helis stand up to anything you can throw at them and at $100 with overnight shipping i dont care if i do break somthing, but im sure the v200d1 will offer a lot of enjoyment and the reason i chose not to stick with a smaller 120 heli is because i have a wireless cam ive been strapping to my helis and a 120 wont cut it.
jhebbel is offline Find More Posts by jhebbel
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2012, 06:07 PM
Registered User
andione1983's Avatar
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2011
347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliGriff View Post
I'm sure you'll get several opinions. Of those you mentioned, my vote is for the V200D01.

Reasons are:
  • Flybarless- a huge performance benefit and easy to keep maintained
  • 3 Axis Gyro- another huge plus! Adjust to your flying style. Super stable!
  • Drive-shaft tail- better performance than a separate electric motor

Yes, the V200D01 will strip a gear when you crash. Yes, it gets blown around in the wind. But look at the big picture here; it's a 200 size heli! Of course the wind will be a factor. It is for any heli that size. Not a big difference between models though. As for gears, when you crash hard, something must break to absorb the shock. I'd rather it be some inexpensive gears as opposed to the servos, the frame, the head, etcetera. Just keep 3 main gears and one tail gear set as spares and you'll be fine!

Catch some tips & flying, indoors and outdoors here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1385262
very sweet heli to learn on one of my personal favourites... tail gears pretty easy to replace alot different that a double horse 9xxx very responsive motor
andione1983 is offline Find More Posts by andione1983
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2012, 06:13 PM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhebbel View Post
.... the reason i chose not to stick with a smaller 120 heli is because i have a wireless cam ive been strapping to my helis and a 120 wont cut it.
I said exactly the same thing last week in the V120D02S thread and cannonfodder01 pointed me to a few links... one was of a 120 FPV setup!!
I was inspired and set about mounting my key fob cam to my V120D02.
This is using max pitch of ~9 deg so I guess hovering near 6? and at full rates I get 12-15 deg.

Key fob cam - V120D02 (with D02S RX - very stable) 2 of 2 (0 min 57 sec)


Now I want to do my own FPV 120...

I'll get some daytime video this weekend weather permitting.
thwaitm is online now Find More Posts by thwaitm
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2012, 06:22 PM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owner1 View Post
Thwaitm, that was an epic fight with the wind! Great flying!
Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it! It was a little dicey. At one point I thought I might have to land blind and take a walk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owner1 View Post
Do you have any mods done to your V200D01 to make it able to handle that wind or is it completely stock?
Almost 100% stock. All the important parts are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owner1 View Post
To the OP, I suggest you wait until you are no longer "crashy" before you start with a Walkera heli. Some heli's are tolerant of some banging about and some are not. I would consider the V200D01 "not" as tolerant as some of the really low mass helis. However, the gear stripping is really not a factor as it is less than 10 minutes to change it and about $3.00. Also it serves to save the rest of the drive train. If I could change the stock gear out for a stronger aftermarket replacement, I wouldn't do it.

In 2 months of flying mine I've gone through 2 main gears and 2 sets of blades.

Owner1
Totally agree, trashing a main gear is way less trouble and expense than servos, blade grips etc.
thwaitm is online now Find More Posts by thwaitm
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2012, 07:28 PM
my mental eXcape!
HeliGriff's Avatar
USA, Ohio, Catawba Island
Joined Jan 2011
4,373 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhebbel View Post
Not such a dead thread after all lol, well i just ordered both a DH 9116 and a v200d1...
Good choice!
HeliGriff is offline Find More Posts by HeliGriff
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2012, 07:48 PM
Registered User
nese's Avatar
Joined Nov 2010
929 Posts
Nice flying with that helicam thwaitm. Why does this look so familiar? Lol. I live in a city too so I appreciate that nice open field!

The V200D01 is one very good heli to transition to a CP heli. You mentioned a V120D02S heli and I must say this is one excellent heli to transition to after the V200D01. I've bought one only recently and it is one of my best flying little helis. You will be amazed at how the 120 cuts through the wind. Also it is one durable heli - it being my practice heli for loops and rolls before trying anything on the others It's a crash... pick up and fly heli - really glad about this part. But it's still an outdoor heli because the blades are sharp - the little motor has 12000 on it so it's 12000kv which means that it spins about 3 times faster than the V200D01's.

IMHO, from the videos I think you can handle a CP. The important note when transitioning to a CP heli is to slowly get used to the negative pitch. So important with this is to get a programmable transmitter so that the pitch range can be gotten used to... and parts bills are minimized in the familiarisation process.

Having said all this the V200D01 remains in my hangar. It is still on nice bird to fly on a day with less wind - I can't really tell it apart from my CP helis for normal flight on these days. Also when I go for my weekly heli meets it's once fine looking heli (I also fit lights) and not so intimidating to newcomers And did I mention flight time? It does 9-11mins which is very efficient for the size - I like this part too.

The good thing about the 200 size (vs the 120) is that they can carry a wider range of helicams between the skids.

Look forward to seeing more of your vids.

Happy flying!
nese is offline Find More Posts by nese
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2012, 08:35 PM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nese View Post
Nice flying with that helicam thwaitm. Why does this look so familiar? Lol. I live in a city too so I appreciate that nice open field!

The V200D01 is one very good heli to transition to a CP heli. You mentioned a V120D02S heli and I must say this is one excellent heli to transition to after the V200D01. I've bought one only recently and it is one of my best flying little helis. You will be amazed at how the 120 cuts through the wind. Also it is one durable heli - it being my practice heli for loops and rolls before trying anything on the others It's a crash... pick up and fly heli - really glad about this part. But it's still an outdoor heli because the blades are sharp - the little motor has 12000 on it so it's 12000kv which means that it spins about 3 times faster than the V200D01's.

IMHO, from the videos I think you can handle a CP. The important note when transitioning to a CP heli is to slowly get used to the negative pitch. So important with this is to get a programmable transmitter so that the pitch range can be gotten used to... and parts bills are minimized in the familiarisation process.

Having said all this the V200D01 remains in my hangar. It is still on nice bird to fly on a day with less wind - I can't really tell it apart from my CP helis for normal flight on these days. Also when I go for my weekly heli meets it's once fine looking heli (I also fit lights) and not so intimidating to newcomers And did I mention flight time? It does 9-11mins which is very efficient for the size - I like this part too.

The good thing about the 200 size (vs the 120) is that they can carry a wider range of helicams between the skids.

Look forward to seeing more of your vids.

Happy flying!
Hehe - I should add a signature... though I like flying the V200D01 because it's a no worries heli, I actually have a V120D02(semi S) which is even easier to fly than the V200D01, a V200D03 (waiting for a new RX because of concerns with RX2618V-D) and a V450D01 which scares the s**t out of me still!
9 helis and counting...

I need more time to practice though my wife goes nuts every time I start speaking a word with H as the first letter...

My next project for the larger CP's is to create a mount and landing gear extension under which I can sling my GoPro. I also quite like the idea of FPV, then FPV with headtracking.
Giving up my current job to run a helicam business would be a dream but I think that's all it'll ever be. Maybe supplemental income one day but never a first job. I would also need a camera operator and editor for that as creatively I'm a bit lazy!

Your point about the blades of V120D02/S - yep, when I say indoor, I mean sportshall, not living room. You can fly in the living room but it's a very cramped and the plants don't like my style of pruning much...!
The 120 can fly pretty quickly and you need at least a 100ft or so to let it fly, more is better. Doing the calcs, rotor rpm, blade tip circumference, you find that they travel at or more than 200mph.

Negative pitch is great, once used to it! When the V200D01 is high and you want to reduce altitude it's pretty hard to gauge the amount of throttle reduction you need to maintain stability but descend. Reducing too much results in a leaf like fluttering as it drops towards the earth. I managed it last time I was at the field but it takes a long time to descend. With negative pitch in ST1 (i.e. non-zero throttle) you actually fly downwards. stability is maintained and altitude correction much faster and more responsive. Less fear of planting it in the deck because you misjudged the rotor spool up time.
thwaitm is online now Find More Posts by thwaitm
Last edited by thwaitm; Jan 18, 2012 at 09:28 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2012, 10:51 PM
Registered User
nese's Avatar
Joined Nov 2010
929 Posts
Hahaha... nice to know you've joined the club. It's a good thing my wife is quite alright with my heli mountain so far. Lol. There's much to talk about these fine Walkeras and this forum is a great place to exchange notes.

And there are so many choices for the different interests these days. If you're in it for FPV there are the quads for fantastic stability. I'm into this as well. But the fun factor for flying, I find, is still in the helis. The feeling from a simple fly by is just so nice - just got to do it again The good thing is you can still get that chopper sound from a fly by with a V200D01.

You're right about the leafy descents, but there is another FP heli that does really well in moderate wind - the 4F180. One of my flying buddies thought it was a CP heli when he saw the way it flew. I like this one too. The v200D01 is better for packing though, but I suppose once you have the V200D03 you basically have the full package. Great flying, looking and convenient to pack for the field too.

Regarding POV vids, I tried fixing my HK wingcam onto the V200D01 but I felt it was a bit heavy. That and I never got round to adjusting those gyro pots for that super smooth flight and leaves me something to do with the V200D01 so I won't forget about it .

Btw, have you tried fixing that helicam to your V200D03? I'd be interested to see how that works? I've got the cousin 4F200 and intended to try it, but lost my HK wingcam :P so I'd say that project's a couple of weeks away yet.
nese is offline Find More Posts by nese
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2012, 11:28 PM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nese View Post
... Btw, have you tried fixing that helicam to your V200D03? I'd be interested to see how that works? I've got the cousin 4F200 and intended to try it, but lost my HK wingcam :P so I'd say that project's a couple of weeks away yet.
I just popped the $70 bucks for the latest Jumbo Key Fob camera with real 1080p 30fps and 720p 60fps with a view to putting it on the 120 and others.
I've not really had the V200D03 out much, partly due to Christmas etc and new daughter arriving, plus the strange behaviour with the RX2618V-D is making me nervous about doing much with it until the RX2624V-D arrives.

The plan was to put the GoPro Hero onto it since the video quality on that is much better than those key cams was until this latest one arrived on scene. (I now of course want a Hero2 with 120fps though...). Problem is the GoPro is too big for the LG so I have to build a custom landing gear or buy the $39 CF cam mount from HobbyKing. I decided to build my own. I have the parts, now just need time. I have to choose between flying and building, since the weather has been mainly good I've been mostly flying.

Anyway, I'll have video on youtube when I get it done.
thwaitm is online now Find More Posts by thwaitm
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2012, 08:19 AM
Registered User
nese's Avatar
Joined Nov 2010
929 Posts
Cool! Remember to post it here with a link. Looking forward to seeing it
nese is offline Find More Posts by nese
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2012, 06:08 PM
"Watch this!.... Oh crap"
jhebbel's Avatar
United States, FL, Seminole
Joined Jan 2012
1,156 Posts
Im going to go ahead and contract out to have some main gears made out of aluminum, i think aluminum is soft enough to keep other parts from damaging in a severe crash but not as finiky when your heli just brushes something, is there any other interest in these? if so ill so up a batch of like a hundred and start sellin them.
jhebbel is offline Find More Posts by jhebbel
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2012, 03:24 PM
WarpQuad, Flip260FPV, etc.
Tampa,FL
Joined Dec 2003
1,257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thwaitm View Post
I said exactly the same thing last week in the V120D02S thread and cannonfodder01 pointed me to a few links... one was of a 120 FPV setup!!
I was inspired and set about mounting my key fob cam to my V120D02.
This is using max pitch of ~9 deg so I guess hovering near 6? and at full rates I get 12-15 deg.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbWuz...e_gdata_player

Now I want to do my own FPV 120...

I'll get some daytime video this weekend weather permitting.
The v120 has plenty of power to fly with a 808 keychain cam under it. I can't even tell any difference in how it flies but I'm no great pilot....Aside from the problem of the cam sticking out a little below my skids making it hard to land and take off it works great.
FYI, After a little experimenting I found that a rigid mount directly to the battery tray (or anywhere on the chassis) works best...tried diff thickness's of foam to isolate vibrations but it actually just amplified the shakiness at the lens.
candy76man is offline Find More Posts by candy76man
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2012, 03:45 PM
rubber heli skills
United States, OR, Seaside
Joined Nov 2009
276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhebbel View Post
Im going to go ahead and contract out to have some main gears made out of aluminum, i think aluminum is soft enough to keep other parts from damaging in a severe crash but not as finiky when your heli just brushes something, is there any other interest in these? if so ill so up a batch of like a hundred and start sellin them.
Some people say that if you get a stronger main gear that it will cause other more expensive parts to fail,but i agree that the stock main gear is just too soft. I buy really cheap blades so that they break instead of stripping the main gear. I have a fuselage on my V200D01 and its a pain to change main gears on.

The main blades are about the same price as the main gears,but much easier to change out than the main gear. In my case anyway.
If you have some main gears made up then i definitely will purchase some from you. I will just use cheap main blades to take the blunt of the crash.
Put me in for a couple of aluminum main gears.. No........ more like 5 of them. Thanks.
mdeutschman is offline Find More Posts by mdeutschman
Last edited by mdeutschman; Jan 23, 2012 at 04:15 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2012, 07:03 AM
"Watch this!.... Oh crap"
jhebbel's Avatar
United States, FL, Seminole
Joined Jan 2012
1,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdeutschman View Post
Some people say that if you get a stronger main gear that it will cause other more expensive parts to fail,but i agree that the stock main gear is just too soft. I buy really cheap blades so that they break instead of stripping the main gear. I have a fuselage on my V200D01 and its a pain to change main gears on.

The main blades are about the same price as the main gears,but much easier to change out than the main gear. In my case anyway.
If you have some main gears made up then i definitely will purchase some from you. I will just use cheap main blades to take the blunt of the crash.
Put me in for a couple of aluminum main gears.. No........ more like 5 of them. Thanks.
Im still working on the cad of the main gear but im going to get some CNC quotes of a complete metal gear replacement kit main gear and torque tube gears, because with the free swinging blades i really dont thing a blade strike will be enough to damage anything, a full on crash might but then again in a crash odds are somthing is going to break anyway... and after shipping all the other components cost the same as the main gear anyway, so having such a weak link isnt really justifiable on this heli. P.S. the gear toothing is a 15 on the main am i correct?
jhebbel is offline Find More Posts by jhebbel
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion V200D01 Walkera 200 size FBL FP, yep another newy! Ampdraw Micro Helis 143 Apr 23, 2011 01:42 AM
Mini-Review Walkera UFLY helicopter mini review ehirobo Micro Helis 8 Jan 16, 2011 08:21 PM
Discussion NE Free Spirit or Walkera V200D01 JHawk19 Micro Helis 11 Jul 19, 2010 11:53 PM
Discussion SNEAK PEAK Walkera 7.4v 2S Flybarless 4#6 (V200D01) Z06 Tony Micro Helis 0 Jun 25, 2010 09:34 AM
Discussion Walkera 52#1 Mini Review Swilson50 Micro Helis 0 Apr 05, 2007 12:19 AM