HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 24, 2003, 03:26 PM
Udine, Italy
Joined Mar 2001
58 Posts
Scorpio saab viggen and fantex

Hi guys,
I bought the scorpio viggen from Hoellein, but for me it was quite an bet. In fact I haven't read so much treads in this forum about it.
But I've build it very fast, and last sunday I have made the first flight: orrible!!!
But I know why. In fact I have used this setup:

Fantex 6xx
Kyosho AP29L motor
10 sanyo RC2/3 cells
hs81 servos
1.250 gr weight

I know that the motor is horrible. So I'm decided to by my firt Brushless.
I'm interesed to the Kontronic FUN 480-33 or FUN 500-38, for a use with 10 cells.

I also have the minifan 480, and I like to buy a motor for both fans.

Well, I know that is not an happy choise, but what do you think:
is possible use the FUN 480-33 in the fantex 6xx and have a good performance in the saab, or is better the FUN 500-38?

And what kind of setup you can suggest me (also for controller)?

Thanks since now!!!
Andrea
andrea is offline Find More Posts by andrea
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 24, 2003, 05:19 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,159 Posts
Andrea, the AP29L motor isn't horrible, it's in fact quite a good motor. And the 44 oz weight is not bad, the plane should have flown just fine (the kyosho t-33 flies quite well with the same power and weight ) so maybe something else isn't right...

In any case a brushless of course will give you more power and will fly even a winged brick (sometimes).

Some people here managed to get the Scorpio Grippen off the ground eventually:

http://www.rc-network.de/cgi-bin/ubb...c;f=5;t=000152

The "ducting" in the Grippen is described in the above thread as "very bad" (second post).

I tend to prefer lighter setups so my choice would be a Hacker B40-11S or a Fun 480-xx. But it is also claimed that unless you use a heavier B50-S or Fun-500 motor you run into CG problems (tail too light)....

Keep in mind that the guy that claims in the above german thread that it flies great (username seafury23) is as far as I know the german distributor for the kit ....

It is claimed that the Fantex fan for the Grippen is so poorly designed and out of balance, that it's almost as loud as a gas turbine . Maybe it works better though once it's balanced.

http://www.rc-network.de/cgi-bin/ubb...c;f=5;t=000196

buona fortuna e cerca di non schiantarlo ...
Herb is offline Find More Posts by Herb
Last edited by Herb; Jun 25, 2003 at 01:20 PM.
Old Jun 25, 2003, 12:52 PM
Barnsley, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Dec 2000
661 Posts
Andrea,
Do you mean the Scorpio Grippen? If you do, dont feel bad it doesn't fly too well, mine could best be described as garbage as well. Initially I tried a 15 turn buggy on 8 cells - got a 'powered glide'. Then put in an Aveox 1406/2Y - this managed to throw all the blades off the Fantexx Fan, bending the motor shaft. Finally did a 'fanectomy' putting in a HW609, the 15 turn buggy on 10 CP1700s. Flew OK, but not jet like. In fact not as good as my Robbe Gnat on 8 cells with the same fan and a 16 turn motor. I suspect that the duct desgin (for a better phrase) is poor at best, and I would consider investing in a brushless motor would not give you the performnce you would desire. I consider this kit VERY disappointing.
Mark Haigh is offline Find More Posts by Mark Haigh
Old Jun 25, 2003, 03:15 PM
Wof
London Southend, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Sep 2002
1,115 Posts
Disappointing seems to be a common word with this plane shame its one of my favourite planes
Wof is offline Find More Posts by Wof
Old Jun 26, 2003, 04:01 PM
Udine, Italy
Joined Mar 2001
58 Posts
Thanks to all.
I think that the Fan is really a bad designed fan (it's very noisy one), like Herb say.
The information that Mark give is the worst, cause I think that if the plane is a so orrible flier, the money I spend are lost.

Well I try to balance the Fan (????) and maybe I Buy the FUN 480 (so I can use also in Minifan).

It's a pity, because it's a good loking shaped plane.

I think that maybe Scorpio have to thake the excuses for this big Flop!!!

I mantain you informed about the progess of this test, also because another friend of mine has buy a Jupiter Brushless motor for 7 cells. Maybe with lighter setup is better.

Bye
Old Jul 06, 2003, 05:28 PM
Germany
Joined Jul 2003
23 Posts
...Hy herb...I heard your calling so here I am ....although you still pretend that Im the distributer for SCORPIO in Germany (would be a pleasure for me...the hobby would be sooooo much cheaper for me then)
I would like to give you some information: Im flying the SAAB for quite a long time now and I have tested various motors in it . Its correct that using a brushed buggy motor is not what someone wants to see when hes flying a JET ..I wnet for various brushless Setups .To use a B40 or Fun480 is not the best way to go , cause this will cause problems with the CG when using a 2400pack.Most of the time Im using the Fun 500-38 with 10/1700CP which is good for 2:30Minutes flying time ...and by the way ,Im not the only one flying the SAAB .During the Impeller Meeting in Hude you could see more flying and if you look on the rc-network forum you will find more information from other pilots flying this bird ( ...are they all working for SCORPio:::wow )...Im not a professionel in Impellertechnology, but i can read the DATAs from Motor-Mike and this doesnt sound as bad as some people argue about the FANTEX...dont ask me why it is as it is.@mark ...how much rpm did you use to break the rotor... with the FUN500-38 Im also flying with 12/1700CP which gives more than 38000 rpm and the rotor is still where it should be
SeaFury23 is offline Find More Posts by SeaFury23
Last edited by SeaFury23; Jul 06, 2003 at 05:33 PM.
Old Jul 06, 2003, 05:35 PM
Joined Sep 2002
7,938 Posts
Any video?

Steve
U812 is offline Find More Posts by U812
Old Jul 07, 2003, 01:30 PM
Barnsley, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Dec 2000
661 Posts
I estimate around 30K max RPM. The problem is with the fan is that you seem to have to put in a large amount of power to get performance.

In the end I did get the Grippen to fly. I blocked up all the duct cheater holes, and the intakes. Removed the fan, and blanked off the tail pipe, and fitted a Jeti 15/4 on a 8x6 slim prop and 8 2400RCs, as a pusher. Even so the flight characteristic are such that the delta wing is so draggy that pitching up the nose kills any speed dramatically. Still not impressed.
Mark Haigh is offline Find More Posts by Mark Haigh
Old Jul 07, 2003, 01:34 PM
St. Mary, Maryland, United States
Joined Dec 1996
8,303 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Haigh
I estimate around 30K max RPM. The problem is with the fan is that you seem to have to put in a large amount of power to get performance.
Nothing surprising there - possibly nothing to do with the fan but more the delta planform. I've found you need and 130 watts per pound minimum on a delta and balance it on the verge of being tail heavy in order to do a clean loop. Any less than that and you are restricted to fast wide turns at most. Still fun but not aerobatic.
Chris True is offline Find More Posts by Chris True
Old Jul 07, 2003, 03:12 PM
EDF all the way!
Gilbert, Az
Joined Jun 1999
7,939 Posts
Testing

I have one coming. I'm installing a Hacker C40-9L on 10 cells. I'll keep everyone posted on what happens.
Bob Ruff
bruff is online now Find More Posts by bruff
Old Jul 28, 2003, 04:04 PM
Udine, Italy
Joined Mar 2001
58 Posts
Hi guys, I have some good (or bad) news!

I've discovered that there is a problem with the Fantex fan.
In fact, seems that Scorpio give the production to a Cinese Company, that makes a good Fan for the testing experience, but the real production is made with a Bad plastic, that at medium and hi RPM tend to make a plastic deformation changing the shape of the blade.
This require hi power, without the same increment in performance, cause this reduce the trust of about 20-30 %.
So now Scorpio have asked to the cinese company to reproduce the fan with the right materials.
After this scorpio have to decide what to do with all people that buy the wrong fan, like me a friend of mine and who of you have buyed this kit.

I think Sorpio will publish this news on his web site, but I don't know the Times for this.
I hope this change is made in short time cause I have the plane on the table!!!!!

Bye to all of you!!!!!
Old Jul 28, 2003, 05:28 PM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
Sverige, Kronobergs Ln, Ljungby
Joined Jan 2001
4,769 Posts
Hi

I held 15cell setup a Gripen the other day, didt even notice the thrust! only a very loud sound!

15x1950 Mega 22/20/X

:-( didt fly on the stock motor, will probably fly on the Mega setup, but my friend will change to the Miko fan soon, for a higher eff

/Henke
henke is offline Find More Posts by henke
Old Nov 02, 2003, 02:07 PM
Udine, Italy
Joined Mar 2001
58 Posts
Hi again.
After few months, I receive the new fan from Scorpio.
Now I can say to all that the Saab really fly.
The new rotor fan is in white plastic, more strenght, and NOT flexible.
I use a Kontronik FUN 480-47 with 8 cells RC4/5 and master-jety controller 70 opto.
The Receiver is powered by a 4 x 350mA pack.

With this setup it weights 1.550 gr, and goes like a roket. I can do rolls, loops, and everything I want. The only problem is the hand lunch. It's possible but You have to run a lot.

I've tryed with another setuop: same controller and receiver pack but 8 RC 2400 cells, and Elecronics Model Brushless motor (4.300gg/volt). It weights 1.780gr. It's TOO much.
Use lighter setup for this plane!!!!!

By to all!!!
Old Nov 02, 2003, 02:08 PM
Udine, Italy
Joined Mar 2001
58 Posts
Another image.
Old Nov 02, 2003, 02:30 PM
Wof
London Southend, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Sep 2002
1,115 Posts
Quote "Disappointing seems to be a common word with this plane shame its one of my favourite planes"

I said this earlier on there will be so many disapointed flyers out there paid good money and it will not fly very well.

They should have sorted out all off the problems before mass marketing?
Wof is offline Find More Posts by Wof