HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by mr.utopia, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 08:25 AM
Latvia, Riga
Joined Feb 2010
151 Posts
Discussion
The first FPV flight

It was windy day, but I could not wait anymore. So, here is my first FPV flight video.

KFm3 UAV Flying Wing - FPV flight (6 min 48 sec)

I did not fly further than 400 meters, because the place I flew is the most radio-waves filled place in our country. I chose it because it is relatively near and it has grass (in case plane falls).

Almost all the time I flew with half throttle and with a help of map and clock I measured flight speed at 48 km/h. In 13 minutes and 15 seconds I drained the battery down to 11.44 volts. Looks like I am safe to fly for at least 30 minutes.

To reduce impact on possible crash, I removed plywood frame from the nose and made it from one piece of foam-board.

The problem I have now is, after the crashes I had before, the carbon fibre rods have come loose and wings are not stiff at neutral position (note to myself: add more glue next time). Probably I'll have to cut the wings and glue the rods back.

As I used simple Y cable to split video signal between video goggles and video capture device, the image was pretty dark. I ordered amplified video splitter, it should arrive soon (link). Also I ordered better motor and I am thinking of buying OSD to see the speed, height, home position and how much flight time I have left.

Technical details

Plane: Jaron's UAV flying wing
All Up Weight: 700g (24.7oz)
Wingspan: 1240 mm (48,8 inches)
Motor: 1530KV BL WZ12 (max 18A)
Prop: 9 x 4.7E
ESC: MAG8 25A
Battery: TGY 3S 2200mah 25C-35C
TX: Hitec Eclipse 7
RX: Corona RP6D1 35Mhz
Airborne time: 13 minutes 15 seconds
Battery current left: 11.44V