Old Jul 27, 2010, 05:16 AM
No, I dont work for HH ;)
Southampton, Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2009
3,768 Posts
Discussion
HobbyKing 3D 30" EPO Yak 54

Just found this little gem for pre-order on HobbyKing. $69.99

The YAK54 is a very neatly designed EPO 3D parkflyer. With smart features such as side-flip canopy for super fast battery & wing removal, 1 nylon bolt wing brace and unique rudder hinge system. This YAK54 doesnt borrow hinges or horns from the parts bin, its all totally new, resulting in a plane comprised of parts that work together better, reducing weight, increasing strength and ultimately making it a more enjoyable plane to fly and work with.
Because of its weight, the YAK54 only needs a very economic motor system, the 2408 sized brushless outrunner gives more than enough power on a 2S 1,000mAh battery. You dont need to buy expensive batteries to enjoy this plane, 20C is all thats needed!
The large control surfaces and quality included servos make this very 3D capable.
Wing moulding and fuse fit together perfectly with unique servo locations and you wont find any ice-cream container cowling here, its all EPO!

This is a well designed and totally new 3D parkflyer that wont dissapoint even hard core 3D pilots. Its scale details visiually appeal and are backed up by its flying ability!

Specification:
Wing Span: 750mm (29.5in)
Length: 675mm (26.5in)
Weight: 355g (without battery)
Motor: 2407 Brushless outrunner 1200kv
Prop: 3 blade 8x6
ESC: 15A brushless
Battery: 7.4V 1000mAh 2S1P (Not included)
Battery compartment size: 99x39x16mm
Servos: 9g x 3

Required:
Your TX & RX
7.4V 2S 1000mah lipo battery

What do you guys think? Personally i would swap out the 15A ESC for a 20A straight off.
Bowerz is offline Find More Posts by Bowerz
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 27, 2010, 06:10 AM
HK--Phils.
Joined Dec 2006
898 Posts
I'm also looking at this one too, just wondering if it's really 3D capable. Btw, never flown a full fuse 3D plane, how does it fly(3D) compare to a profile foamy? Any advice?
heliboy88 is offline Find More Posts by heliboy88
Old Jul 27, 2010, 06:17 AM
Joined Sep 2009
3,768 Posts
They fly a lot less floaty and are a lot less forgiving. They just generally feel a lot bulkier on the sticks but then can also hold it's own in more wind than a profile. If you can get on a decent sim such as Pheonix or Real Flight, the differences felt between full fuse and profile on there is pretty much how they feel in real life
Old Jul 27, 2010, 06:24 AM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,997 Posts
Youll need to be pretty skilled to fly that plane slow or 3d it well. Control surfaces are a bit to small to be very effective or have much authority at slow speed or from the prop wash during stall. I seen that plane earlier,looks nice and would be a nice park flyer sport aerobatic plane. Looking forward to feedback and some videos,cool looking plane.
Get Real is offline Find More Posts by Get Real
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 27, 2010, 06:47 AM
USA, GA, Warner Robins
Joined Jun 2009
165 Posts
The small control surfaces make me wonder. That rudder and elevator looks really small for a 3D plane!

If you get one, be sure to post your review of it!
Terrk is offline Find More Posts by Terrk
Old Jul 28, 2010, 06:32 AM
HK--Phils.
Joined Dec 2006
898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowerz View Post
They fly a lot less floaty and are a lot less forgiving. They just generally feel a lot bulkier on the sticks but then can also hold it's own in more wind than a profile. If you can get on a decent sim such as Pheonix or Real Flight, the differences felt between full fuse and profile on there is pretty much how they feel in real life
Thanks a lot Bowerz(and everyone) for the heads up, yes i've flown both in the Real Flight, there're differences but not that much i could feel, maybe it's about the model i chose? But if the real differences are really the same like in the sim, i think i can handle it for a while(not crashing it i mean)
Old Jul 28, 2010, 06:43 AM
Joined Sep 2009
3,768 Posts
I certainly could. Just remember,, if you throttle off. They are not gonna float life a foamy and require air over the wings to stay in the air. You just generally need more speed to stay flying. If you can, go up high on your first flight, say about 3 mistakes high, then repeatedly slow the plane down as carefully as possible until it stalls, that way you can learn how fast the plane can actually go without lawn darting it.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 06:57 AM
HK--Phils.
Joined Dec 2006
898 Posts
Quote:
I certainly could. Just remember,, if you throttle off. They are not gonna float life a foamy and require air over the wings to stay in the air. You just generally need more speed to stay flying. If you can, go up high on your first flight, say about 3 mistakes high, then repeatedly slow the plane down as carefully as possible until it stalls, that way you can learn how fast the plane can actually go without lawn darting it.
Thanks a ton for all the tips Bowerz, hope someone will post reviews on this yak so i can decide what to get, not really in a hurry anyway, still have 2 profiles to maiden yet.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 07:05 AM
Joined Sep 2009
3,768 Posts
I think the ST Models/Ripmax MX2 would be more suited for 3D flying if that is what you are after as as said, these control surfaces are somewhat small for true 3D and it looks more like a sport/pattern flyer.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 07:13 AM
HK--Phils.
Joined Dec 2006
898 Posts
Quote:
I think the ST Models/Ripmax MX2 would be more suited for 3D flying if that is what you are after as as said, these control surfaces are somewhat small for true 3D and it looks more like a sport/pattern flyer.
Thanks for the quick reply man, any online site that i can check on the Ripmax?
Old Jul 29, 2010, 07:20 AM
Joined Sep 2009
3,768 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1113344

RC groups thread with some info on the plane, but if you are looking for a place to buy, Your country's Google site is your freind here as I can only find UK sites. Just search ST Models MX2
Old Jul 29, 2010, 07:32 AM
HK--Phils.
Joined Dec 2006
898 Posts
Thanks a lot man, i just found that thread too, and thru it i've found a few online sites and saw the specs of the plane, it's a bit big for my taste, but i guess it's gonna be a good 3D learner, especially the price seems really good, might look for a site that's closer to my location.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 04:10 PM
RC Airliner Man
United Kingdom, Dudley
Joined May 2007
444 Posts
recieved mine today

hi guys got my yak today, and all i can say is wow this things great, all controll surfaces are prehinged, the tail bolts on the rudder snaps into place with steerable tail wheel but i had to re-glue my file wall because when i fitted the prop and spinner i noticed alot of play when spinning the prop and when powered on it vibrated like hell,

this motor is easily taken out the model as theres a small hole on the underside of the cowl for an alan key a couple of turns and the motors out as its a bell type motor its just slotted in the back plate and held with the screw, sorry no pics of the motor out.

i took the fire wallout slotted it through the wing cut out, and noticed there was one blog of glue in the corner, i applied a small amount of epoxy from the front of the cowl and slotted the fire wall back through now theres no play at all and its strong.

theres not much room for a reciever but i squeezed in a futaba r617 2.4ghz, the canopy is great to as its hinged, im using turnigy 2cell 7.4v 1000mah lipos as recomened on hobby kings website,

i have not flown it yet but ive held the model by the wing and powered up to see what the powers like and theres plenty of thrust at full throttle but not enough to prop hang, but then again i have not charged my lipo as i was just setting up the radio and wanted to test the motors power, might get more thrust from a 2 blade prop then the supplied 3 blade, but the 3 blade looks very nice and gives it a scale look

the battery slot is long but not wide, so the battery pack can slide all the way up to the fire wall, and the foam is easy to cut to fit a larger pack if needed, i will post a few pics again after ive flown it, mean while a few pics below
brett1984 is offline Find More Posts by brett1984
Old Aug 10, 2010, 04:18 PM
Joined Sep 2009
3,768 Posts
You may want to change the horn adjustment to get more throw. I like how they say this a £D plane, yet the control surfaces don't have 3D sizes, let alone 3d throws
Old Aug 11, 2010, 03:24 AM
HK--Phils.
Joined Dec 2006
898 Posts
Yes, with that small throws on the aileron, i think it even couldn't roll, you might want more throws on all the control surfaces, and please let us know how it flys.
Thanks a lot for sharing, the plane looks nice, hope it flys nice too, good luck man.