HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 27, 2010, 03:46 AM
Gnd/Heli Interface Tester
Essex UK
Joined Jul 2005
360 Posts
Discussion
RCRCM Yellow Paint matches for Strega repair

Hi there - I am repairing my Strega and looking to give it a coat of the yellow it has. Has anyone managed to match the colour with a pantone or RAL equivelant (or closest match?)

I understand the factory mix their own colours so no equivelant is available from them.

I would be sourcing the paint in the UK, so if you dont have the colour in a RAL or Pantone, then a description would be fine, i.e. BMW Mini Chilli Red for example

Many thanks in advance

Jason
jiberjaber is offline Find More Posts by jiberjaber
Last edited by jiberjaber; Jul 27, 2010 at 03:47 AM. Reason: added factory info
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 27, 2010, 03:49 AM
F3B
Warwickshire, England
Joined Sep 2006
5,522 Posts
you might just have to take the fuse to a paint place and get the closest match you can.
satinet is online now Find More Posts by satinet
Old Jul 27, 2010, 04:02 AM
Phil.T-tailer
Devon, UK
Joined Jun 2003
4,231 Posts
Jason - I see you are in Essex - get yourself along to these guys in Harlow, and take the fus along with you - they will mix paint to match - exactly
http://www.leonardbrooks.demon.co.uk/

I got an aerosol made up for my orange Falcon - excellent match - and its still cellulose - which you can rub down & T-Cut to a shine when its fully hardened

Phil.
Phil.Taylor is offline Find More Posts by Phil.Taylor
Old Jul 27, 2010, 04:37 AM
Essex UK
Joined Jul 2005
360 Posts
Thanks Phil - Harlow is a bit of a trek but I will certainly keep it in mind. I expect I wouldnt be able to finish everything including the paint for the weekend, so might pop over on the way to the slope with it on Sat morning (assuming they are open then.)
Old Jul 29, 2010, 05:32 AM
Essex UK
Joined Jul 2005
360 Posts
Just spoken to the guys in Harlow, 24.95 + VAT for a minimum order of 500mL (5.95 per 200mL+VAT rattle can) and then a can of primer at 11.50+VAT.

Only drawback is if they need to paint match then they will need the fus for a day (4 - 5 hours) as they mix the paint by eye from scratch.

I am sure they will achieve an A1 match, but I dont think I can spare the fus for a whole day between now and the weekend.... plus its a 1.5hr round trip for me... which makes it tricky to arrange to leave it and pick it up.

I'll take a look in Halfrauds tonight - I remember in my distant past they had a colour swatch system at the counter - might be worth seeing if there is something close existing before I part with the glider for a period of time (geting to Harlow is half the battle for me )
Old Jul 29, 2010, 06:22 AM
Phil.T-tailer
Devon, UK
Joined Jun 2003
4,231 Posts
don't bother with the primer - its bound to be wrong for the topcoat
Halfords do have a colour book, but its all arranged by manufacturer - and its rather big - may take you a while - good luck!

Phil.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 09:41 AM
Essex UK
Joined Jul 2005
360 Posts
No worries - I have time to flick through, it's the time standing there with a glider fuz looking like a nerd thats the problem LOL
Old Jul 29, 2010, 01:35 PM
Essex UK
Joined Jul 2005
360 Posts
Halfrauds Ford Signal Yellow appears to be a winner. Tried some on the tail cone and I couldnt tell it had been sprayed... who'd have thought it eh!
Old Jul 29, 2010, 03:56 PM
Phil.T-tailer
Devon, UK
Joined Jun 2003
4,231 Posts
well done!
Old Jul 30, 2010, 05:41 PM
Essex UK
Joined Jul 2005
360 Posts
So after spraying what seems like loads of coats and a pollish up, it is a sort of match, slightly duller / darker than the original gell coat. I'm happy with it, but its not a perfect match.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 06:21 PM
Essex UK
Joined Jul 2005
360 Posts
End result taken with a grey card for the colour balance.

You can just see the colour difference - I was wondering if a clear coat over the top would help, I suspect not...

Already chipped the paint LOL...... that was from flying tonight